2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
American Honda Finance just told me the new TL will be out in September.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
The front-driver will be powered by a 280 horsepower 3.5L V6 whereas the AWD model will receive its motivation from a 3.7L V6 producing 300 horsepower.

You know, Honda is in a bit of a pickle here. The new Accord V6 puts out 268HP now. Is a 12HP bump over the Accord going to be adequate? If so, are they still going to expect premium fuel?

On the other hand, the new buck tooth RL is only going to be at 300HP itself. Seems like something is going to have to give for the new TL to make sense. The power band that it fits into between the Accord and the RL is too tight.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
not that relevant...

Originally Posted by ultimate_ed
You know, Honda is in a bit of a pickle here. The new Accord V6 puts out 268HP now. Is a 12HP bump over the Accord going to be adequate? If so, are they still going to expect premium fuel?

On the other hand, the new buck tooth RL is only going to be at 300HP itself. Seems like something is going to have to give for the new TL to make sense. The power band that it fits into between the Accord and the RL is too tight.
People dont buy the TL solely for horsepower. There are PLENTY of other cars that have more HP than the TL that I have zero interest in.
Its the combination of everything...performance, looks, luxury, techie gadgets on the interior. Most of us could care less if the tl has "ONLY" 285 HP.
Its the whole package...
If the TL looks as hot as the new TSX (look at IN PERSON) it will sell a ton.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by ultimate_ed

Ah, "Power band"? What are you talking about Willis? So what? It's not like the difference in power REALLY has ANYTHING to do with the separation. How about Mercedes? The same EXACT engine spans three (or four) different models. An AMG 55 is a 55 is a 55 (on the e-class, the C-Class and yes, even on the S-class) Sure, later on in the series they did add super chargers to the lineup but they did that to nearly EVERY model, not JUST the upper end models. Same thing now with the 6.3 in the Benz's so the "power band arguement really, really is meaningless.

Now, the SIZE of the cars is another thing.

Of course, there are now MORE people wanting better fuel economy than want power so you've got to satisfy that group too...
Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Ah, "Power band"? What are you talking about Willis? So what? It's not like the difference in power REALLY has ANYTHING to do with the separation. How about Mercedes? The same EXACT engine spans three (or four) different models. An AMG 55 is a 55 is a 55 (on the e-class, the C-Class and yes, even on the S-class) Sure, later on in the series they did add super chargers to the lineup but they did that to nearly EVERY model, not JUST the upper end models. Same thing now with the 6.3 in the Benz's so the "power band arguement really, really is meaningless.

Now, the SIZE of the cars is another thing.

Of course, there are now MORE people wanting better fuel economy than want power so you've got to satisfy that group too...
People who say the 4G TL needs 350 hp need a reality check. Note that the current E550, hell, and the S550, get by with a mere 382 hp. I forget what the MSRP is on the base S550; for some reason, I want to say it's $86,700, but that's just a guess...

Now, with Acura making it's move toward tier 1, let's compare it to its closest Mercedes offering based on size--the E350. Its 3.5L V6 produces a whopping 268 hp, 18 less than an Acura engine of the same displacement. And we're only comparing engine size here folks--don't try the 'well, the Type-S is Acura performance line, so let's compare it to the AMG line' argument. And the BMW 535 has it's twin turbo I6 with an (understated) 300 hp and an equal amount of torque. Keep in mind both of these vehicles cost more than $50,000.

Around the Orlando area, most the E-Classes that I see are E350's. Just my observation.

My point is this--like ndabunka said, the power of the engine is only part of the equation. And realistically speaking, a small part in the eyes most buyers. The AZ community represents the vast minority of car buyers--people whom drive not only to get from point A to point B, but also because we are car enthusiasts.

After driving the new 3,750-pound Audi A5 with its 6-speed manual connected to a 3.2L V6 producing 265 hp, I would be more than happy with a 3.5L V6 producing 286 hp in a TL, and downright orgasmic with a 3.7L producing 300 hp. I don't need to get into a pissing match with the guy in the next lane in his IS350 and 306 hp--I know how big my wang is, and I couldn't care less about his.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by levon1830
People who say the 4G TL needs 350 hp need a reality check. Note that the current E550, hell, and the S550, get by with a mere 382 hp. I forget what the MSRP is on the base S550; for some reason, I want to say it's $86,700, but that's just a guess...
bravo levon. good said.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:03 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
People who say the 4G TL needs 350 hp need a reality check. Note that the current E550, hell, and the S550, get by with a mere 382 hp.

Please don't forget about the torque numbers. Low end torque is very important to accelerate a heavy car from slow speed, and especially with auto slush box transmissions.

A high displacement car with little hp but lots of torque can sometimes outrun a smaller displacement car with lots of high end peak hp.

This S550's V8 puts out 391 pound-feet of torque from 2800 to 4800 rpm, whereas even the RL's 3.5L-V6 puts out only 260 pound-feet at a high 5000rpm.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
MFPC

After seeing these photos of the '09 TL. I fully do not regret buying my TL-S when i did.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pchunggerr
After seeing these photos of the '09 TL. I fully do not regret buying my TL-S when i did.
I don't understand how you can say that. Pictures never do a vehicle justice and these pictures still have the TL with camo. I am holding my judgement until I see the new TL in person, can sit in it and drive it.

Byron Nichols
www.titan500.blogspot.com
Old 05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TITAN3.2TL
I don't understand how you can say that. Pictures never do a vehicle justice and these pictures still have the TL with camo. I am holding my judgement until I see the new TL in person, can sit in it and drive it.

Byron Nichols
All I want to see is one un camoed pic !!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of recent 3G are hopping that their's is better than 4G..yada yada...Wish as they may, the 4G TL will be more of everything good than the current TL-S. That's a given
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by B K R
A lot of recent 3G are hopping that their's is better than 4G..yada yada...Wish as they may, the 4G TL will be more of everything good than the current TL-S. That's a given
not necessarily....all features. Look at the 1st gen vs 2nd gen tsx. Yes there is some better features...but overall look imo is worse...driving characteristics is worse just as an example.
For the money 1gen tsx is way better then 2gen.
price vs what you get...the TL-S is going to be hard to compete with even for Acura.

5 more ponies and a ugly "plenum grille" is not a sufficient reason to buy a 2gen over a 1 gen that is more in likely going to be 5 grand more at least. But hey I'm keeping my fingers crossed Acura pulls something out of their ars.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Racer

i swear im trippin out... or do those spy shots make the rear look like a camry's ?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:58 AM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by TITAN3.2TL

Byron Nichols
wtf is that weightlifting link 4? am i drunk or am i just seeing things?

this is supposed to be a 4th gen Acura TL discussion thread people!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

History repeats itself at times. I encourage you all to do the following:

1. Type tl.acurazine.com into your web browser.
2. Click on the "Browse the Forums" link.
3. Click on the "Third Generation TL (2004+)" link.
4. Scroll to nearly the bottom of the page. Under "Display Options" change the "From the" field to say "Beginning." Then click the "Show Threads" button.

Look at the oldest page of threads in the Third Generation TL forum (from year 2003), and you will see threads very similar to this one with people writing off Acura as making a big mistake with the styling of the new TL. Heck, over at vtec.net, someone said the '04 TL looks too much like a Dodge Stratus! And now, many of us (including myself every time I walk outside and look at my car) drool over the 3G TL.

All elements--regardless of how meaningless that one element can seem on its own--of a design work together to produce the final product that the designer(s) had in mind. As a building designer, I understand this and deal with it on a regular basis. This is precisely why I absolutely refuse to show my clients a design concepts until it is fully complete and ready for presentation.

I am not saying that I absolutely believe that the 4G TL is going to be a visual stunner like the 3G is. All I'm saying is it is best that we reserve our final opinion of the product until we see the entire thing with no camouflage to skew our judgement.
This should be stickied at the top of the 4g forum....good posting
Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Racer

I have a slightly different perspective from most of the posters here.

How the car looks from the outside is number 3 on my list of priorities. It shouldn't be totally fugly, but I only see the outside of the car when I am getting in or when I turn around to look as I am walking away

The most important thing to me is the interior. I want the new TL to look upscale (get rid of the cassette deck) have all the controls ergonomically laid out (no BMW iDrive thank you). I would love keyless entry/start and a hard-drive for the radio. I spend all my time inside my car, why shouldn't this be the most important consideration.

A very close second is performance. The car should be fairly quick in a straight line and even better in the curves. I have heard good things about the SH-AWD but I wasn't overly impressed with the RDX I test drove. I will withhold judgement until I can test drive a TL so equipped. Bottom line for me is that the current 3.5L offers enough power without killing me on the gas mileage.

I have high hopes that the next TL will offer a balanced package that fits what I want. Pretty quick, reasonable gas mileage, comfortable and beautiful interior all at a price below Lexus and Infiniti.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
is it just me or do the back brakes seem bigger than the front?

Old 05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Advanced

the tires

Is it just me or am I right that those are the exact same tires as the current Type S Michelins?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 AM
3.2 VTEC

yea is the TL gonna have 17s again or 18s?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:11 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the size of the wheel is pretty much based on econmics; chances are stockies will be 17.

on the other hand if the A-spec designers have turned the TSX into
http://satoauto.com/cblog/index.php?....html#extended

i'm kind of worried what the 4G A-spec may look like
Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
^ i like that A-Spec kit except for the wheels. it takes away from the grille.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
08' WDP Type S

I am with you in that boat...but keep in mind the pics are still camo'd
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I dunno guys..photoshop the rims off the curent tl and put some black tape over the tail lights--its going to make any car look like crap. I hate to say it... the new TL is growing on me.
does anyone know if a six speed manual ill be offered ?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:48 AM
3.2 VTEC

^^hopefully, the new TL is gonna kick ass no matter what! But a 6mt Is gonna Ruel?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 AM
3.2 VTEC

^^WTF am i talkin about???
Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Originally Posted by azeemdadream
Is it just me or am I right that those are the exact same tires as the current Type S Michelins?

Michelin is going to stop making that tire.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was at the dealership today getting my 2006 TSX serviced and talked to the Sales Manager about the TL. He didn't have any info to tell me that we all don't already know, but he said he's in the process of ordering them right now and said they would be here in September and December (SH-AWD). Also, he confirmed what I thought, that the SH-AWD model will be automatic only. No word on whether that now includes six gears.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:10 AM
3.2 VTEC

^^yea, you don't need an awd manual anyways...all you do is a major clutch burnout on agressive starts.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by camporealer
I have a slightly different perspective from most of the posters here.

How the car looks from the outside is number 3 on my list of priorities. It shouldn't be totally fugly, but I only see the outside of the car when I am getting in or when I turn around to look as I am walking away

The most important thing to me is the interior. I want the new TL to look upscale (get rid of the cassette deck) have all the controls ergonomically laid out (no BMW iDrive thank you). I would love keyless entry/start and a hard-drive for the radio. I spend all my time inside my car, why shouldn't this be the most important consideration.

A very close second is performance. The car should be fairly quick in a straight line and even better in the curves. I have heard good things about the SH-AWD but I wasn't overly impressed with the RDX I test drove. I will withhold judgement until I can test drive a TL so equipped. Bottom line for me is that the current 3.5L offers enough power without killing me on the gas mileage.

I have high hopes that the next TL will offer a balanced package that fits what I want. Pretty quick, reasonable gas mileage, comfortable and beautiful interior all at a price below Lexus and Infiniti.
I couldn't agree with you more. I spend most of my time on the inside. It has to be comfortable and filled with convenience/tech features. This is what drew me to the TL in the first place (I'm now on my 3rd - 2k, 04 and 08). However, I would put outside looks over performance. I like a car that has a good-looking enough exterior to turn heads and want people to know more about it. The older I get the more I don't care about beating the guy beside me to the next red light. However, the performance has to be good enough so as not to pose a danger when merging in fast-moving traffic. I guess our difference in perspective in regards to most posters here has something to do with our ages.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
I was at the dealership today getting my 2006 TSX serviced and talked to the Sales Manager about the TL. He didn't have any info to tell me that we all don't already know, but he said he's in the process of ordering them right now and said they would be here in September and December (SH-AWD). Also, he confirmed what I thought, that the SH-AWD model will be automatic only. No word on whether that now includes six gears.
Actually he's not ordering them right now. Ordering won't be until next month. We are ordering our last allocation of 08's right now. Orders for last 08 TL's are due in by June 17th. We are in the "earn" period for 09 TL's though. What we sell now determines what we get for the 09.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vincethe1
^^yea, you don't need an awd manual anyways...all you do is a major clutch burnout on agressive starts.
Wachu talkin!? All you have to do is avoid aggressive starts! If you don't need an AWD 6MT don't get one but many of us do need just that and Subaru has been making them successfully for years without any problems so I don't see why Acura couldn't figure it out.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TedN
Wachu talkin!? All you have to do is avoid aggressive starts! If you don't need an AWD 6MT don't get one but many of us do need just that and Subaru has been making them successfully for years without any problems so I don't see why Acura couldn't figure it out.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dont forget audi/vw (which includes Lambo), porsche and BMW to name a few. Many car companies do AWD with MT. Honda better offer a 6MT cuz that a major selling point for me at least.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
05 S2000, 07 SI

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
Dont forget audi/vw (which includes Lambo), porsche and BMW to name a few. Many car companies do AWD with MT. Honda better offer a 6MT cuz that a major selling point for me at least.
+10 -- The only AWD manual japanese cars are the Evo and STi. I wouldn't mind a DSG-like transmission with the AWD, either.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

This area of the forum has turned into this thread...a flurry of info/pics, then dead silence...
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Instructor

shhhhh....a lot of us are quietly, waiting for some significant news or pictures. Some real news or new pix.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
3.2 VTEC

but subarus are not usually as powerful, and the sti is way lighter so it wudn't do as much drivetrain damage, although i've seen a few of them snap tansaxles on agressive starts
Old 06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
3.2 VTEC

Originally Posted by 6SpdTerror
lambos for one are mainly rwd...front wheels don't get much power, it's a selling point for lamborghini atleast.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vincethe1
but subarus are not usually as powerful, and the sti is way lighter so it wudn't do as much drivetrain damage, although i've seen a few of them snap tansaxles on agressive starts
Sorry but I have to disagree again. The average Subie makes equal to or more power than the average Acura and their most powerful car beat's Acura's currently most powerful car. Plus they are really catching up in the luxury department (I test drove a 2008 STi and Legacy GT Spec B) but don't make standard all that unnecessary junk that's just going to break as soon as your warranty runs out and weigh your car down such as navigation, dual-zone climate control, CD changer, 50 thousand buttons...

And a surprising amount of Lambos are coming out AWD nowadays.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:32 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree again. The average Subie makes equal to or more power than the average Acura and their most powerful car beat's Acura's currently most powerful car. Plus they are really catching up in the luxury department (I test drove a 2008 STi and Legacy GT Spec B) but don't make standard all that unnecessary junk that's just going to break as soon as your warranty runs out and weigh your car down such as navigation, dual-zone climate control, CD changer, 50 thousand buttons...

And a surprising amount of Lambos are coming out AWD nowadays.

Unfortunately for Subaru most of their cars wont comply to the proposed CARB requirements in 2010.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here