Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidg3n3rati0n
here you go TL people

i got an issue of car and driver and reveals what the 09 TL looks like

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43152
For the 15th time in this thread, this is a photoshopped picture that is the magazine's guess. It is NOT the 4G TL. Please read before you post.

On the spy pix....the side profile looks a lot like the 8G Accord. Sorry. Hopefully the real deal will look significantly different. Looks like Acura is really hellbent on the "Power Phlegm" grille, though.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:34 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uuuggghhh! now all three vehicles RL, TL, TSX are equally fugly!

nice f'up acura, they need to fire that design and marketing dept.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Hmm.... it looks like the offspring of G35 and GS350....

I don't know how they could top the exterior design of the current TL, which is close to perfection... I guess they could not. Well, let me reserve my final judgment until I see the undisguised car.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bearcat,

>>Interesting how you cherry pick your data. 1st, these cars "require" premioum fuel.<<

That is NOT what my dealer told me, and not what I burn, but I quoted mid-grade. Cherry pick? I provided you with 14 years of data!! Draw your own conclusion on what gas prices have done and where you think they are going. You don't need me. But for the record I was the only one pointing to real data.

>>NOBODY buying a 2009 TL expects $1.50 gasoline, so they will make their "cost of ownership" decision based on CURRENT and/or FUTURE gas price, not the price when they bought their last car. <<

Correct. And don't forget over the last 9 years the MPG on the TL has increased very little. Despite gas prices skyrocketing. So you you think that is a GOOD thing????

>>What'd be interesting, JeffNY, is instead of pushing your (IMHO useless) conservationist agenda, would be if you actaully posted something on topic.<<

Yea, driving more miles on less gallons these days is so "useless". Boy am I dumb, who would want to do that. And what is the "topic"? Before this thread was finally moved to a forum of its own a couple days ago it was the only place to post for the '09 TL.

It still amazes me how worked up and threatened some people feel at the suggestion of a TL that got better than 21MPG.......

Jeff
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first spotted a 3g TL back in 2004 I knew I had to buy one. There was no "getting use to it" or "maybe it will grow on me" thoughts. After looking at the new TL pictures went to the garage to hug my TL. I've fallen in love with it all over again.

Enjoy your 3g TLs. They are a classic design. This looks like a Lexus GS

Maybe when all the camo is taken off and it's all shiny with good wheels I may "get used to it"

The new RL...........Strike 1 Acura
The new TSX.........Strike 2 Acura
The new TL...........Strike 3 Acura
Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

oh man...still have to see how it looks w/o the camo
Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's some more:

Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Man, I hope those aren't the real tail pipes. I'm not liking those at all. The trunk opening seems to be very small. A little too much chrome on the door handle? It looks like the interior takes some cues from the new TSX, the navi screen seems to be at the top under the awning. The lip spoiler reminds me a little of the CTS spoiler.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
More Tech

^^Cool, the left lane pics show that the new TL will have keyless access based on the buttons on the front exterior door handles. Safe to assume it will be keyless start as well.

Can anyone guess at confirmation of SH-AWD based on the undercarriage shown in the last pic?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Love the rear view EXCEPT the tail pipes, HATE the wheels! Rear end does look wide, but I agree the trunk opening is rather small.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Acura has confirmed SH-AWD on the 09.

Those wheels are usually not stock as they're test mules. I wouldn't be worried about it.

I think my 04 TL just increased in value by $5K from those pictures of the 4G TL
Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
A Spec Kit

Can you imagine how this car will look with an A Spec Body Kit?
It will look sick! I am really starting to like this. Cant wait to trade in my 04 for one of these!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Stopped by the dealer the other day to get a look at the TSX. I saw a carbon grey one...man this car looks great to me. The front grille is growing on me and I must say it makes my 04 tl look a tad dated. If they had a 6 speed turbo version I would buy it...
but they dont...this does give me high hopes for the TL. But heres the bottom line (for me at least).....no six speed manual--no TL for me. I am sure a lot of other memebers feel the same. The six speed manual is THE main reason I boought the TL to begin with.
Same here. I'll take either a turbo TSX AWD or a TL Type S AWD but's gotta have a 6-speed with a clutch or I'm giving up on Acura for another decade haha.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TedN
Same here. I'll take either a turbo TSX AWD or a TL Type S AWD but's gotta have a 6-speed with a clutch or I'm giving up on Acura for another decade haha.
Isnt this the same thing with Acura every cycle? We bash the design & then we're praising how great it looks 2 months later. I've seen the 09 TSX when I took my vehicle in for servicing & i must say that it is an exceptionally well put together vehicle. It replicates nothing on the US market and is in class of its own. I just wish it had more horses. Also, the backseat was kinda cramped.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
05 S2000, 07 SI

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
Isnt this the same thing with Acura every cycle? We bash the design & then we're praising how great it looks 2 months later. I've seen the 09 TSX when I took my vehicle in for servicing & i must say that it is an exceptionally well put together vehicle. It replicates nothing on the US market and is in class of its own. I just wish it had more horses. Also, the backseat was kinda cramped.
+1

Went to Acura to take a look at the new TSX. Looks much better in person (especially with the front/side/rear spoilers). The interior is top-notch: way better fit and finish than the previous TSX and way better materials. The rear-seats were not that bad.

Even the new RL (in NYAS) looks so much better in person.

I am going to wait to see the TL in person before I pass my "final" judgement.

My garage is missing one more roomy sedan with some sort of intelligent AWD:
- Subaru's XWD,
- Honda's/Acura's SH-AWD,
- Nissan's/Infiniti's ATTESSA-ETS,
- BMW's torque-vectoring xDrive [coming soon, now on the X6],
- Audi's QTV (Quattro Torque Vectoring) [coming soon, first on B8 A4, then Q5, A5]

and a 6-speed Manual or DSG-like transmission is preferred. Except for Subaru, most Japanese cars come with automatics on their AWD-trims - and I am 90% sure that the SH-AWD version of the TL will only come in an automatic or DSG-trans
Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by levon1830
^^Cool, the left lane pics show that the new TL will have keyless access based on the buttons on the front exterior door handles. Safe to assume it will be keyless start as well.

Can anyone guess at confirmation of SH-AWD based on the undercarriage shown in the last pic?
Eventhough we already have confirmation on the SHAWD, I'll also guess this test car is the SHAWD version. If you look at the latest rear shot I can see an alluminum housing below the car. That definitely looks like the diff sticking out below my MDX. Then again, I don't have my glasses with me today. Someone with younger eyes needs to weigh in here
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
10th Gear

Telling by the way that bra sits on the hood and the creases it creates, leads me to believe the hood is similar to that of Infiniti's G35. Anyone else seeing that?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced

taillights look a bit like the GS..but smaller ane edgier...almost avalon-ish from the 3 quarters view. anyways, its'...not as bad as i expected. But I'm totally keeping the TL-S since it'll be out of production soon.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
the front lights look very high placed. I like it. The rear looks too much complicated...
The photos show a strict similarity with the sharp shapes of the Advanced Concept Sedan presented at the end 2006.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
the front lights look very high placed. I like it. The rear looks too much complicated...
The photos show a strict similarity with the sharp shapes of the Advanced Concept Sedan presented at the end 2006.
I agree. No question the back of this new design was influenced by the Concept Sedan.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Team Nighthawk member

hmmm....i'll have to wait and see the final product before coming to any conclusions. So far, the new TSX has not grown on me and I'm not liking the new grills.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Pro

Not a fan .. particularly of the buck-tooth grilles .. looks like the 6th Acura I just took delivery of, over 10 years, will be my last.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It Will only be a matter of time before you hypocrites will be talking about trading in your 3rd Gen TLs. The car is still covered up and people are already saying it's fugly. Have patience for once in your lives! Wait until we see the car without the camo, and THEN proceed with your Acura design bashing if you don't like it. But then again, look at all the folks who said the new TSX was ugly, and now they're saying that they like it. Further proof people, give things a chance. Approach things with an open mind and be willing to accept change.

* And the next idiot that posts that Car & driver photo claiming to be the new TL, please do us all a favor and READ PRIOR PAGES BEFORE YOU POST!

Regards,
Ac Man
Old 05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ac Man
It Will only be a matter of time before you hypocrites will be talking about trading in your 3rd Gen TLs. The car is still covered up and people are already saying it's fugly. Have patience for once in your lives! Wait until we see the car without the camo, and THEN proceed with your Acura design bashing if you don't like it. But then again, look at all the folks who said the new TSX was ugly, and now they're saying that they like it. Further proof people, give things a chance. Approach things with an open mind and be willing to accept change.

* And the next idiot that posts that Car & driver photo claiming to be the new TL, please do us all a favor and READ PRIOR PAGES BEFORE YOU POST!

Regards,
Ac Man
Well said Ac Man
Old 05-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Racer

Regards,
Ac Man

Amen to that brother!
I am an architect and some of these folks sound like my boss....Criticizing the design without even soaking it in. In this case, the 4th gen TL will receive a bunch of blahs before outselling the Infiniti G & other cars in its class. Besides, I want a car thats different from the rest and this certainly does offer that with it's sharp & angular curves.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Regards,
Ac Man
Ha I remember when the 3rd generation was released some of the people on this website were saying the same thing. The car ended up being the best selling car for Acura. The 4th generation hands down will blow the 3rd generation away, theoretically speaking. Acura is not in the business of playing any games to mess up there best selling car
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

The 2009 TL finally has push button start vroooom, I bet the steering wheel column is now motorized , moving in/out and up/down to your preference depending on the drivers setting, yaaaay
Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
The 2009 TL finally has push button start vroooom, I bet the steering wheel column is now motorized , moving in/out and up/down to your preference depending on the drivers setting, yaaaay
Acura would be very ignorant if they didnt do either. How expensive would it be for them to include a power telescopic steering wheel? Also, i would like to see a heated steering wheel as well in addition to a more elaborate seating adjustment.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WDP-Acura TL
Ha I remember when the 3rd generation was released some of the people on this website were saying the same thing. The car ended up being the best selling car for Acura. The 4th generation hands down will blow the 3rd generation away, theoretically speaking. Acura is not in the business of playing any games to mess up there best selling car
I hope what you said is true.. it better blow me away, cause I'm waiting for the new TL as well.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigBokey
Telling by the way that bra sits on the hood and the creases it creates, leads me to believe the hood is similar to that of Infiniti's G35. Anyone else seeing that?
Actually that deep crease makes it look more like the 2009 Nissan Maxima take a look:
http://www.nissanusa.com/09maxima/index.html
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
10th Gear

Same difference................2007-2008 G35, 2009 Maxima, 2009 FX35/50. It appears that Acura is now trying that design with the TL hood.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Acura Vet

This actually looks promising. I can see lines of the GS in there and as someone has said the rear reminds me of the 1st Gen CL. (The Return of Ultraman) I am glad something finally came out about this car. Brenda Priddy & Company FTW!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
Acura would be very ignorant if they didnt do either. How expensive would it be for them to include a power telescopic steering wheel? Also, i would like to see a heated steering wheel as well in addition to a more elaborate seating adjustment.
THis car won't have anything more than what the RL has. Acura doesn't have the balls to put more bells & whistles on this car if the RL doesn't have it.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:26 PM
6th Gear

This guy said that all new Acura line up will have the TSX style grill.. and from the camo pictures it look like the TL got the TSX grill as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Only thing they did right was the side mirrors. Looks 100X better than the 07-08 ones. The chrome window trim wasn't a good idea though.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Racer

new pic

http://jalopnik.com/391905/2009-acura-tl-redux
Old 05-20-2008, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by http://jalopnik.com/391485/2009-acura-tl-more-details-revealed

One of the Honda forum fan-boys over at The Temple of VTEC claims to have seen a brand spankin' new 2009 Acura TL — most likely at the April dealer conference where we'd heard the big dealers got a chance to ogle the new four-door in the shiny flesh. While we're not expecting to see the bed sheet slide off the skin of the new mid-size from Honda's luxury brand until sometime closer to Septembet, the forumites are telling us to expect something similar to what we told you back in March, but the level of detail is — well — significantly more detailed. Hit the jump for the full scoop.

TOV user "mri1112" claims he (or she):

"saw the car....3.5 w/280hp and 3.7 w 305hp....no mention of "S" Type at all.....the front and rear of the car in no way resembles the present car or TSX...larger than the present TL and present Accord....it is as drastic to the persent TL as the present TL was to the '03 TL.....20G hard drive on board for personal music recording ...push button start...."
But that's not the only details — there's also the look, which is supposedly very "transformer"-like:
"the only part of the tsx grill is the very top thickpart....slight resemblence...beyond that not similar looking at all....but the front and rear of the 09 TL is very futuristic, almost "transformer" in its look....the car was shown in new orleans april 11th to acura dealer body....end of sept release......rear lights on the '09 TL are a cross between civic 2 dr and camry....bold...tilted a bit down toward center...red lenses top and bottom ...clear back up in the middle but taper extensively around the side almost to the back of the c piller..the car looks sleek from the side yet agressive, angular from front and back...the car has no hatchback look at all.....from the side it is quite sleek looking ...sharp contrast from front and rear views which are very hight tech futuristic looking...the trunk lid has a bit of a dip in the center.....the rear lights and the rear bumper make the back panel of the trunk lid almost the shape of the grill.....5 sided.....topped off by a small lip spoiler on the tech model...the rear spoiler also has a crease in the center of the trunk dip.....the rear tail light form the side tapers greatly and almost reaches up the side to the rear of the c pillar....."
Well, we guess we'll have to wait for September to find out whether the Honda informant over there is right on — but until then, what do you think?
Seems to be describing the Camoed car pretty well...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Instructor

camo tails reminds me 1Gen CL which I do not like !
licence plate to low, to bold edges... and trunk lid beeing the whole back of the car
hope uncovered will be better
Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Intermediate

4G TL versus the Lexus GS350 AWD

I think the new TL looks like and will compete with the Lexus GS given its new larger size (heck it even looks a bit like the GS from a side view perspective).

Lexus GS 350 AWD versus Acura 4G TL 3.7 SH-AWD

Lexus:
Base MSRP* $46,100.00
• Standard Features
Available Packages $5,385.00
• Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound Audio System Package with Additional Options
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee† $765.00
Total MSRP** $52,250.00

Acura:
Reported to be under 40k with the 3.7 engine, SH-AWD & Tech Package

It could be a winner for Acura.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:09 AM
My TL can do this, too!

From what I can deduce from the recently posted photographs of the 4G TL:
  1. It has 4G side mirrors
  2. From the little buttons on the front doorhandles, the TL will have keyless entry and perhaps keyless ignition.
  3. The rear looks like it will very much mirror the 8G Accord. I hope the TL's tail lights will look better than the Accord's!
  4. The side looks rather vanilla to me; maybe it's the camo.
  5. The windows/upper cabin area doesn't look too different from 3G lines.
  6. The front looks inviting, but maybe that grill will scare me.
  7. I'm counting two sets of lights on the lower grill? Like one's a blinker, and the other's a foglight?
  8. The test vehicle's an RBP! F- yeah!

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura TL/CL Type-S-Merged Threads-All 2009 topics will be merged here