Valve Chatter/Pinging/Knocking in 2007 TypeS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasRPh
WOW. I keep reading all this and it really makes me glad that I LEASED my 08 TL Type S!!
Don't get me wrong.......I have the "ping/chatter" problem with my Type S, but I DO NOT PLAN ON BUYING THIS CAR at the end of my lease.......so I don't care that much.

Leasing is great for me.......I drive very low miles, 8-10k/yr and get a NEW CAR every 2 or 3 years. IF THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM........car goes to the dealer. IF THE DEALER JERKS ME AROUND.........the car gets turned in after 2 or 3 years.........on to the next one!!

I pay a SMALLER PAYMENT vs purchasing.........always have a "NEW" car (under warranty) AND........AND........my left over money (hence the LOWER payment vs purchase) is EARNING INTEREST IN A CD/BANK/Investment!!
LEASE = CAN'T LOSE!!
So you have an 08 and have the pinging?? This is a first since this thread started isnt it?

My 08 still isnt pinging...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
08 TL Type S A-Spec

Yup. 2008 TL Type S. It only chatters/pings when there is a heavy acceleration going uphill or around/up an exit/entrance ramp.
It is VERY subtle, but it is there.

I think it started around 1,000 miles on the odometer.
I have 1,900 miles on the car now.......so it is still NEW.

If it gets worse, I will try the dealers. But I kinda already know what they are gonna say.
THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH YOUR CAR. We couldn't reproduce the noise, etc. etc.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW. I keep reading all this and it really makes me glad that I LEASED my 08 TL Type S!!
Don't get me wrong.......I have the "ping/chatter" problem with my Type S, but I DO NOT PLAN ON BUYING THIS CAR at the end of my lease.......so I don't care that much.

Leasing is great for me.......I drive very low miles, 8-10k/yr and get a NEW CAR every 2 or 3 years. IF THERE IS A MAJOR PROBLEM........car goes to the dealer. IF THE DEALER JERKS ME AROUND.........the car gets turned in after 2 or 3 years.........on to the next one!!

I pay a SMALLER PAYMENT vs purchasing.........always have a "NEW" car (under warranty) AND........AND........my left over money (hence the LOWER payment vs purchase) is EARNING INTEREST IN A CD/BANK/Investment!!
LEASE = CAN'T LOSE!!
You do realize you're actually losing money by leasing the car right? The dealer wants you to turn the vehicle in when you're done rather then buy the rest out. You just rented a car for three years with absolutely nothing to show for it.

In three years my car will be close to being paid off.

The lower payment just tricks you into thinking it's a good deal.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
buying or leasing a car either way you lose money. if you are smart you run the numbers and see which way you lose less. In the end though if the model has a known issue, good luck getting a great trade in since nobody will want the car.

Case in point was my 01 CL S... after it was on it's 3rd tranny.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
This car drives me crazy. It's like a double edged sword.

In spite of the pinging, I did a few passes with the G-Tech and twice I was about to pull off a 0-60 in the 5.4 second range (5.41 and 5.44). That's close to a Mustang GT or Jaguar XJR. This car has some serious heat for a heavy FWD sedan with less than 300 bhp. I can't do much with it when I have VSA turned off--the engine breaks the poor tires loose at full throttle regardless of how gentle I am. The "high performance" tires (RE030s) are definitely more grippy than the standard Michelins, but they still aren't great. Fortunately they don't have much life left and I plan on replacing them with some REAL tires.

I've also grown even more attached to the way the LSD has been set up--it really makes me smile when I can apply a fairly decent amount of power exiting a turn and it feels like something is literally pulling the front end of the car through. Not only that, it's safe... If you apply too much, it understeers. Backing off the throttle induces a respectable amount of oversteer, which can again be reeled in by applying the throttle. It just works so well. Long ago I was exclusively into RWD cars, but this big ass FWD car seems to manage itself just fine. It's different for sure, but really quite capable.

Okay so maybe Honda didn't totally screw up with this car But come on... 50% of performance is sound, right? And this thing sounds like crap when it's pinging. Or when I can't get it in 3rd gear.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Joel Saxton

They were able to fix my 3rd gear problem - replaced all the fluid. Mine still pings sometimes, though.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Drifting

LEASE = CAN'T LOSE!!

YOUR LOGIC = CAN'T DO MATH!!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
10th Gear

It has been awhile since anyone has posted ... I guess everyone is just trying to live with the ping like I am but everytime I hear it is still annoys the crap out of me. I did get the dealership tech to acknowledge that he heard the ping. That was a victory of sorts but he promptly followed up with "but there is nothing we can do about it". So I guess I will live with the car another year or so and then I doubt another Acura will be in my future.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
PROBLEM HAS BEEN ACKNOWLEDGED BY HONDA!!!!
The problem on the new accords with the J35 has been identified and there is a fix for it, but this is for HONDA vehicles at the moment. Here is a link to the HONDA ACCORD TSB:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/a08-017.pdf
Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I really wish that was what was wrong with my car. Unfortunately it's not something loose in the valvetrain, doesn't do it at idle, and goes away with high octane fuel. Just another copout by Honda.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Joel Saxton

Originally Posted by 2007TL-S
It has been awhile since anyone has posted ... I guess everyone is just trying to live with the ping like I am but everytime I hear it is still annoys the crap out of me. I did get the dealership tech to acknowledge that he heard the ping. That was a victory of sorts but he promptly followed up with "but there is nothing we can do about it". So I guess I will live with the car another year or so and then I doubt another Acura will be in my future.
I too am still living with the goddamn pinging. Intermittent, but present nonetheless when I try to crank it. Luckily, I live pretty close to work so I have eschewed the TL in favor of a bicycle. Good exercise!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Joel Saxton

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I really wish that was what was wrong with my car. Unfortunately it's not something loose in the valvetrain, doesn't do it at idle, and goes away with high octane fuel. Just another copout by Honda.
Yep, that is not what is wrong with our TL's. I am betting Honda will NEVER cop to it, and we will remain stuck with these 91 octane pinging pieces of crap.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro

Havent seen anyone get the CAI/p2r combo yet, it took my pinging away and its still gone. THE only time I ever hear a slight ping is when I am trying to pull hard through 3rd with lets say 50% or more throttle up a ramp on a 80+ humid day and reach about 3500 rpm BUT as soon as i hear it slightly its gone and if I try to reproduce it on the same drive it doesnt come back and if I didnt have a trained ear now because of how much the thing pinged before I wouldnt have even noticed it at all the several times this has happened. So something is working right knock sensor hears it immediately and retards timing. IM HAPPY you guys are nuts not to get the CAI intake and seriously talk to a rep. I have my car at the dealership now with intake, spacer, a cut up exhaust, AND a f*cking crank pulley LOL and they are still doing warranty work on my car.

The guy that leased his car DOES not know how to do math and probably got screwed. YES sometimes its better to lease but that is usually ONLY when you plan on buying it out and selling it after the lease is up, especially ACURAs. BMW's now thats different more people lease them because you WILL be paying top dollar and the residual value is so good that leasing is the way to go. My dad is a CFO and does all the BMW leases for his company and leasing is what he has figured out is always the way to go on high priced beamers.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:52 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Evan, I've got the P2R and a CAI on Back Order. Hope to have installed with the month. I'll post back on results.

During the past few months, the car has been running great. Now, with ambient temps climbing, same old thing.

csmeance, thanks for the post, but I don't think that's what I've got. 1st, it's not at idle; it's at partial throttle at ~3,000 rpm. 2nd, it doesn't seem to be the same *kind* of sound. I know that clip was done with some sort of amplification, so I could be wrong, The sound clip sounded more like a clicking, this sounds more like metal-on-metal rattling/tapping.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Evan, I've got the P2R and a CAI on Back Order. Hope to have installed with the month. I'll post back on results.

During the past few months, the car has been running great. Now, with ambient temps climbing, same old thing.

csmeance, thanks for the post, but I don't think that's what I've got. 1st, it's not at idle; it's at partial throttle at ~3,000 rpm. 2nd, it doesn't seem to be the same *kind* of sound. I know that clip was done with some sort of amplification, so I could be wrong, The sound clip sounded more like a clicking, this sounds more like metal-on-metal rattling/tapping.

Well and also the fact that under cold conditions or 97 octane gas it doesnt ping either

Hey let me know what happens when you get the intake up and running. Its a fun install.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Masshole

If anyone is interested, I did a few runs of my 2007 TLS 6MT (28K miles) and recorded the ping.

Download the first run here.

The day was about 70 degrees F outside. Two people in the car going uphill from a stop (1st through 3rd gear) with medium throttle, no WOT.

I wasn't driving hard, but you can hear a bit of ping/knock that is spaced out through 2nd gear and then when I shifted into 3rd I gave it a bit more gas to pull it between 3k and 4k RPM's. If you listen around the time of 20-24 seconds, you can hear a bunch of the rattle/ping.

Sorry the audio clipped. I'll try to find a few more examples to post, but this was the first run and it was the most audible. The microphone was inside the engine bay with two pieces of foam wrapped around it and I'm sorry the audio clipped a bit during the harder pull in 3rd gear. It's a shitty mic, but all I had to work with.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Joel Saxton

Yep, that is what mine sounds like too. I also have 07 TLS MT. Are you sending this to Acura corp?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Masshole

I don't have a case open with them about it. I was trying to record it for when I bring my car into the dealer. This way I'll have it in some form even if they don't agree it's ping/knock. If anyone else wants to send it to them, I have no problem with it. I can give you all the original wav files.

Sadly, I forgot to add before posting this, that I'm not that willing to fight this. I have been looking for another car basically because of this problem. Even driving it lightly (like you can hear in that audio clip) it knocks. I can't imagine the damage that is being done over the past 28K miles and I want to get rid of it before it's too late. Everything I've read in this thread it sounds like acura is doing a "lift carpet and sweep" type of thing. A lot of you guys have tried to get this resolved with no results (which is no ding on you guys). I don't have the time or money to fight them, so I'm considering cutting my losses, but I wanted others to hear the knock if they could....so I recorded some audio.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Wow! That's twice as bad as mine, more frequent and louder. Absolutely no doubt that's preignition. Has it done it this bad since new?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Masshole

Wow! That's twice as bad as mine, more frequent and louder. Absolutely no doubt that's preignition. Has it done it this bad since new?

Hard to tell since I wasn't sure about it, but I noticed it at least a few months after owning it. I hear it quite a bit and it annoys me...but since I won't do anything about it, I shouldn't complain.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Joel Saxton

Your pinging is definitely worse than mine, but when my TLS pings, it sounds the same as yours. I too have grown tired of fighting with the dishonest folks at Acura over this. Not sure what my next move is going to be.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jay0k
You do realize you're actually losing money by leasing the car right? The dealer wants you to turn the vehicle in when you're done rather then buy the rest out. You just rented a car for three years with absolutely nothing to show for it.

In three years my car will be close to being paid off.

The lower payment just tricks you into thinking it's a good deal.

Yea i sort of agree here. I havn't had a car payment in a year (paid it off on 2007) and it is great not having one. 56,000 miles and the biggest problem my car ever had was a dead car battery.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Handruin
If anyone is interested, I did a few runs of my 2007 TLS 6MT (28K miles) and recorded the ping.

Download the first run here.

The day was about 70 degrees F outside. Two people in the car going uphill from a stop (1st through 3rd gear) with medium throttle, no WOT.

I wasn't driving hard, but you can hear a bit of ping/knock that is spaced out through 2nd gear and then when I shifted into 3rd I gave it a bit more gas to pull it between 3k and 4k RPM's. If you listen around the time of 20-24 seconds, you can hear a bunch of the rattle/ping.

Sorry the audio clipped. I'll try to find a few more examples to post, but this was the first run and it was the most audible. The microphone was inside the engine bay with two pieces of foam wrapped around it and I'm sorry the audio clipped a bit during the harder pull in 3rd gear. It's a shitty mic, but all I had to work with.
Mine is this loud and pings that much as well. The dealer knows about it and says there's nothing that can be done. I have taken it in twice. It frustrates me to know end when I here it, so I just leave the radio cranked up.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Wow, I guess I dont know what a knock really sounds like because besides some slight "ticking" I really don't hear much...Guess I should work for Acura

Was that recording taken from the engine bay or inside the car?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Cruisin'

yep...that is exactly what my TL sounds like....i really hate acura with a passion.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Fortunately for me it is that time of year when I seldom drive the car, except for this recent chilly spell we've had here and the rain. Next time the temperature gets up in the high 70s I'm going to make a point to drive it and see how bad it is. I heard it ping a few times today but honestly I care so little at this point that I wasn't paying much attention. Funny that I'd hear it even when I'm not meaning to... that's probably a bad sign.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will someone start a poll on this matter!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Masshole

Originally Posted by joerockt
Wow, I guess I dont know what a knock really sounds like because besides some slight "ticking" I really don't hear much...Guess I should work for Acura

Was that recording taken from the engine bay or inside the car?
I took it from inside the engine bay.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Any updates yet? Im scared that this detonations inside the engine are gonna mess up my car in the long run. I already filed a complain with Acura Client Services but they said they "NEVER HEARD OF THAT PROBLEM BEFORE". Does this mean no one else called? Everyone thats having the same problem need to call and let them know. Please lets work together on this one.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Pro

I believe the problem is not going to get attention. There are not enough people complaining about it and it is too intermittent to file a case on them. Just the fact that the temp has to be high, humid, certain rpm, certain % throttle, blah blah should be a sign to you guys its not going to get fixed.

And also it could be a machining issue and if thats the case then its probably not worth taking about your engine for. Get CAI and hope for hondata.

Now if your car is just crazy pinging all the time no matter what then I would start to throw a fit with them.

OH yeah GET CAI AND P2R and report back please.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Joel Saxton

Originally Posted by juruki
Any updates yet? Im scared that this detonations inside the engine are gonna mess up my car in the long run. I already filed a complain with Acura Client Services but they said they "NEVER HEARD OF THAT PROBLEM BEFORE". Does this mean no one else called? Everyone thats having the same problem need to call and let them know. Please lets work together on this one.
Many people here (myself included) have filed this complaint with Acura Client Services. They are LYING TO YOU.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Pro

Honda / Acura is not just giving you guys the run around.

Check this out, seems as though we are not the only people with honda V6's experiencing this problem.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f153159
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Just dial 1911

Its quite amazing that a class action hasn't been started up yet...There has to be a money grubbing lawyer who would pounce on this...
Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 PM
2006 Acura TL

Originally Posted by bionicjoggingsuit
I have a new 2007 TL Type S 6spd Manual with 3700 miles on it, running nothing less than Premium gas. Intermittantly, during acceleration between 2700 and 4300 RPMs, I get what sounds like valve chatter. The car is so well insulated that it is not as noticable as an older car but it is still an abnormal noise, nonetheless. Have any of you experienced this type of noise? It is worse when you would expect it to be, i.e., acceleration uphill, when the engine is hot as opposed to in the morning when you first crank it, uphill with the AC on, etc. It pretty much sounds like any piece of crap car would that is in need of a tune up / plugs/ plugwires, etc.

Very frustrating. I miss my M3. Oh yeah, the "technicians" at the Acura dealership are perplexed and can offer no solution.

Let me know if anyone else has experienced this mystery noise.
I have '06 TL 5AT and just recently had service for vehicle for other issues.Told them of the valve clatter.When the vehicle was ready, they stated in the paperwork that this is normal.I heard it with my accord but this is unusual.At least I have it documented.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Racer

Hello TL Fellas....I'm visiting from the RL side. I have an 06 RL with under 9K miles on it and it has been pinging for a long while. At first, I thought it was my kid's car seat in the back making the noise but I eventually realized that it was definitely detonation/pinging. I listened to your .wav file and it sounds the same as mine, although mine seems to happen at lower RPMs, presumable because of the tuning variations between the RL and TL (exhaust, etc.). Same deal though, light to medium throttle in warmer temperatures.

I had finally posted on the RL side, asking if others were experiencing this. No one but me seems to be having the issue there. Please realize the the RL "poplulation" is small (probably smaller than the TL-S family). Because of this, I'm guessing that there isn't a large enough sample to really know if a high percentage of RLs ping. As we "pingers" know, it's somewhat subtle so a typical driver might not notice it.

The moderator on the RL side pointed me to this thread and I read the entire thing from start to finish (took me three days doing it between work duties). I was really hoping that I would see a solution at the end and I purposely held-off from looking at the last page for the thrill of it.

Anyway, I learned that Xylene is an octane booster and I plan on giving that a try. I planned on keeping the RL for at least 10 years and then giving it to my daughter who will be just getting her license around that time. As of now, I'm contemplating dumping the car because I hate "walking on egg shells" while driving the car, even more so now that I've learned how much damage pre-detonation can do to the motor.

I'll check-back soon in hopes of finding a solution. Until then, it's off to the paint store to stock-up on Xylene. I've always used premium 93 octane fuel but I wonder, as some have guessed, that the stations are cheating us. I'm going to buy regular unleaded and spike it myself until there's a fix.

I haven't called my dealer yet or Acura client services but I plan on doing it.....

Good luck everyone.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gavine
Hello TL Fellas....I'm visiting from the RL side. I have an 06 RL with under 9K miles on it and it has been pinging for a long while. At first, I thought it was my kid's car seat in the back making the noise but I eventually realized that it was definitely detonation/pinging. I listened to your .wav file and it sounds the same as mine, although mine seems to happen at lower RPMs, presumable because of the tuning variations between the RL and TL (exhaust, etc.). Same deal though, light to medium throttle in warmer temperatures.

I had finally posted on the RL side, asking if others were experiencing this. No one but me seems to be having the issue there. Please realize the the RL "poplulation" is small (probably smaller than the TL-S family). Because of this, I'm guessing that there isn't a large enough sample to really know if a high percentage of RLs ping. As we "pingers" know, it's somewhat subtle so a typical driver might not notice it.

The moderator on the RL side pointed me to this thread and I read the entire thing from start to finish (took me three days doing it between work duties). I was really hoping that I would see a solution at the end and I purposely held-off from looking at the last page for the thrill of it.

Anyway, I learned that Xylene is an octane booster and I plan on giving that a try. I planned on keeping the RL for at least 10 years and then giving it to my daughter who will be just getting her license around that time. As of now, I'm contemplating dumping the car because I hate "walking on egg shells" while driving the car, even more so now that I've learned how much damage pre-detonation can do to the motor.

I'll check-back soon in hopes of finding a solution. Until then, it's off to the paint store to stock-up on Xylene. I've always used premium 93 octane fuel but I wonder, as some have guessed, that the stations are cheating us. I'm going to buy regular unleaded and spike it myself until there's a fix.

I haven't called my dealer yet or Acura client services but I plan on doing it.....

Good luck everyone.

Yeah once you get the mixture to a rating of 97 octane with xylene which i did if you can find my post way back about what the right mixture is. I think if I remember correctly xylene is 104 octane so just do the math.

Anyways as soon as you take it too 97 octane there will be no pinging what so ever no matter how hard you try to reproduce it.

Its wierd cause I have said that CAI and throttlebody spacer works and it does to an extent, my car pinged really nasty this morning , but this probably had something to do with reseting my ECU. After resseting the ECU and doing a hard pull through 3rd and fourth I didnt really hear pinging the rest of the day.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro

Exclamation

OH I forgot to mention something that I am wondering if it was ever brought up.

Has anyone thought that this maybe could be a problem with the EGR valve. I mean since not every TL is saying they have the problem it could be a EGR valve that is subject to inconsistancies on these v6's

Thoughts????????
Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by evanj5

Has anyone thought that this maybe could be a problem with the EGR valve. I mean since not every TL is saying they have the problem it could be a EGR valve that is subject to inconsistancies on these v6's

Thoughts????????
the Egr valve is the same part as 04-06 as for 07-08's and type-s however there does exist an after gasket because they tend to clog.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by evanj5

Thoughts????????
I brought it up many pages ago. Can't remember what came of it though. I might go out and see if my EGR is working tomorrow. This still wouldn't explain the cars that have done it since new.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro

I brought it up many pages ago. Can't remember what came of it though. I might go out and see if my EGR is working tomorrow. This still wouldn't explain the cars that have done it since new.

well mine started doing it at like 3000 miles, its that too soon you think for anything faulty with the egr too occur.

Where is the egr located?

Quick Reply: Valve Chatter/Pinging/Knocking in 2007 TypeS