A/C wont turn off?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C wont turn off?!?

Hi guys,

Sorry if this should be in another forum buuuut, I'm here down in miami visiting the GF. We're pulling into a parking lot and all of the sudden the air goes up to full blast by itself. So I go to turn it off, the console shows it as such.... but the air wont stop blowing! When you turn the a/c to "off" the fan is at full blast and it seems to be vented air (engine-ny smell, higher temp).

I messed with the fuses for the a/c and fan under the hood to no avail.

Any idea what this may be? Any fix to it? Have a long 4 hour drive to Tampa tomorrow... and hope i can avoid having to have the windows cracked!

And also... bent a rim... not a great trip

Thanks for the help
Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if I read this all, but did you just turn the A/C button on the right side off, or the actual "off" button on the left side of the Navi screen?

This may be way too simple, but did you just hit the auto button? that'll turn the fans all the way up to get it to temp, then if you just turned the A/C off, the fans will still blow on high until you turn them down separately. Hope it's that easy and I didn't misunderstand you.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Instructor

nope, hit the actual off button. even the dash display shows as if the ac were off! I was driving and all of the sudden, air at full blast! didnt hit a button or anything! I guess ill have to have it checked out when i get back home!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Instructor

If you mean it says A/C off, that's not the same thing as the entire heating cooling system off. If you hit the actual system off button, all of the heating cooling info will no longer be seen on the display. You'll then only see the time and the radio info if it's on. Hope I'm not reading this wrong.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Yes, the entire display for the A/C is off. There is no text on the display. It goes away as if the A/C were completely off. It is blank. But the A/C is at full blast. I'm guessing some sort of switch broke... but I guess we will find out later this week!

Thanks for reading Bucks, sorry if I was unclear! I'll keep the thread updated just in case this happens in the future for anyone else!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Ok I gotcha. Yeah sometimes I read these things faster than I should if I'm going to try and help haha. And by no means was I implying you didn't know what was going on.

I hope you get it all figured out!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
9th Gear

hi im new to the forum, and im experiencing the same problem. the blower is stuck on high speed and its blowing hot air. the display seems to be working, but doesnt send the coomands to shut it off or go up and down on the blower speeds.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Not certain as to the button you're striking. If you hit the A/C off button on the right, that just disengages the compressor, but the fans etc will still run and try and keep the cabin cool, but as in Miami and hot, the fans will ramp up to try and cool it down without the A/C compressor which will be next to impossible. If the hit the actual off on the left side, the entire unit will shut down.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM
9th Gear

i hit the off on the left, and nothing. there must be an ac module or relay that controls the command that you are pressing. for instance, when i press the ac button, the display reads (on) and if press it again it reads (off). but the ac compressor does not kick in. same for the blower speeds, it goes up and down on the display. but it doesnt send the actual command to go up and down, instead its stuck on high speed.
The following users liked this post:
Rose-chayo (06-20-2021)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Sounds like the fan / blower relay has gone haywire.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It sounds like a blower motor resistor block (if the TLs have them- I don't work on Acuras) has gone bad. If it goes bad, it automatically goes into default mode which is full blast to keep your car defrosted. With the A/C on, all that does is send refrigerant through your A/C system which removes heat and moisture. Try changing the fan speed. If it does not change, then you probably need a resistor block or blower motor final stage. I also do not know if Acuras make them separately from our blower motor. Something to look up
burbank_dude (02-27-2016)
Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
9th Gear

I took it the dealer today, ill keep you guys posted on what the problem actually was, and thanks for the advise. i understand that if the blower resistor goes bad it goes into default mode, but the ac is not kicking on so im not sure if that has anything to do with it. i have an 05' w/gps with 70k miles on it and hopefully its covered under warranty. at least they hooked me up with TSX meanwhile..
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
9th Gear

if it happens to anyone in the future BE-IN MY TL was right! its the blower motor resistor block, it costs $70 from the dealer and you can replace it yourself. its located behind the glovebox..thanks again guys...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Does anyone have a specific area that this blower motor resistor is located? I just yanked my glovebox all out and can't seem to find it. Although I did find my cabin air filter and that'll be getting replaced!

If anyone has a more direct location then "behind the glovebox" I'd appreciate it!!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bonksnp
Does anyone have a specific area that this blower motor resistor is located? I just yanked my glovebox all out and can't seem to find it. Although I did find my cabin air filter and that'll be getting replaced!

If anyone has a more direct location then "behind the glovebox" I'd appreciate it!!

I'm having the same problem, Here's a link to the transistor I think. It's #15

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This Would be awesome to know, having the same issues...

Currently Looking up Alldata Info so see if i cant find anything on it. Ill keep everyone updated
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
1st Gear

I'm experiencing the same problem on my '04 TL. The blower motor kicked into high speed, and I can't shut it off. The only control button that functions is the "mode button" that directs airflow. Does anyone know for sure that the "#15 Transistor Power " relay is the correct part needed for replacement? It sounds easy enough to replace, but exactly where behind the glove box is it located?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Racer

^ i just got the Blower Motor Resistor in today, and were having identical problems. She is currently getting a alignment but in about a hour or so ill have a answer for you to see if that fixed the problem or not. Got the part for $70 bucks also haha.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Racer

Just got the car back, and put the new Blower motor Resistor in. She works like a charm. Here is a pic of the burnt one, you can see some areas fried on the circuitry, and the other pic is the location. Just remove your glove box and its right there. takes 2 mins to swap out. Acura dealer wanted to charge me a butt load to diagnose this problem, and repair it.

I hope this helps anyone with this issue!!

Take care.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sprkyspe
I'm having the same problem, Here's a link to the transistor I think. It's #15

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
Has it been confirmed #15 is the correct part? I'm having the same problem, on the link listed above it shows the part for $39.19. However a few people in this thread said they paid $70 for it so I want to confirm I'm ordering the right part.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shellready
Has it been confirmed #15 is the correct part? I'm having the same problem, on the link listed above it shows the part for $39.19. However a few people in this thread said they paid $70 for it so I want to confirm I'm ordering the right part.
I just looked at the illustrations and it looks like the part I've swapped out.

Order the part!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shellready
Yes, that is the right part.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I just got The part and put it in with a new carbon air filter in about 15 minutes. I just want to say thanks to everyone. I now have control of my fans again!!
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Racer

Sounds good, very pleased to see it worked. I switched my cabin filter as well when i was in there... Night and day when it comes to the smell haha... Don't believe it was ever changed.
Benny12 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 PM
10th Gear

I ran into the same issue today on my way home from work. Pop, blower went to high regardless of what fan speed, on or off. The transistor 79330-S6M-941 TRANSISTOR, POWER worked for me. Went to the local Acura Dealership and paid $61 for the part. Thanks to all.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM
7th Gear

One more success story here. The power transistor was a simple fix. My local Honda dealer had it in stock for $51. ...or you can get it here for cheaper: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...0-S6M-941.html
Old 02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfect info here

Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
It sounds like a blower motor resistor block (if the TLs have them- I don't work on Acuras) has gone bad. If it goes bad, it automatically goes into default mode which is full blast to keep your car defrosted. With the A/C on, all that does is send refrigerant through your A/C system which removes heat and moisture. Try changing the fan speed. If it does not change, then you probably need a resistor block or blower motor final stage. I also do not know if Acuras make them separately from our blower motor. Something to look up
Exactly right for my fiancé and her 2004 TL. Suddenly without any prior issues ac stuck on high but no a/c just vent. Controls navigable through display but no control of actual function & no off. This post mentioning them having a safety feature keeping it on high was most useful. Just went to autozone and bought the 'blower motor resistor' part #JA1382 (came in a duralast box but the part was plastic sealed in a genuine honda oem red logo bag) for $50. Plugged it in and the problem was solved. thanks for the details!
Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 AM
9th Gear

Hello.
It looks like I am having the same issue with my Acura TL 2008.
Yesterday the air started blasting at maximum. I had to take out the fuse 21 in order to stop it.
I believe I will need to replace the blower motor resistor/transistor?
I have two questions.

1. Do I actually need to replace the transistor or resistor or are they the same thing?

Genuine Acura 79330-S6M-941 Heater Blower Transistor Genuine Acura 79330-S6M-941 Heater Blower Transistor
or
OEM BMR73 Blower Motor Resistor OEM BMR73 Blower Motor Resistor

2. How do you remove the plastic cover (underneath the glove compartment) to get to the blower motor resistor/transistor?
See picture attached. Thank you

Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 AM
2007 6MT TL Type-S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I just went through this the other day on my Type S. I ordered the Transistor from AcuraPartsForLess and it solved my issue. You can use the 5NSX code at checkout for a 5% discount.

The panel below the glove box is held on by clips. The Transistor is located on the left side, so I pried down to undo the clips and replaced it. Took about 20 mins.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Ok ... so I ran into the same problem. how do you change it the dealer wants to charge me 120 to change it and really I would rather change it myself.... so let me see if I got this.... you take out the glovebox and it should be in there? I have an acura tl 2007. any help would be greatly appreciated .
Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
10th Gear

Just had same the symptoms that came on all of a sudden with my 2005 TL with 145,000 miles (full blast fan all times, and AC does not start . . . but all else works on climate control system).
I ordered the part from a local ACURA dealer for $62 (no Acura or Honda dealer within 50 miles had it in stock).
I got the impression that the module was behind the glove box and that the glove box had to be removed. That is not the case. There is a single plastic shield under the glove box that runs the width of the passenger side that simply pulls downward and outward (no screws) exposing the module which is actually slightly below the glove box on the far left. The module is mounted to the air box by 2 screws that are fairly easy to access.

Last edited by poolmon; 03-20-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Had the "fan stuck on high" problem two days ago so I'm gonna bump this with some more info about replacement parts. I normally stick with OEM parts pretty religiously but since this is just a MOSFET transistor in a heat sink and used on SO MANY cars I just decided to get the Beck/Arnley 204-0021 ($30 on Amazon https://wwwsite.amazon.com/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Fan stuck on high Saturday, new part in the mail on Monday. Problem solved. The Beck/Arnley part is visually indistinguishable from the original even with the cover off looking at the circuit board.. I read all the threads on desoldering it and replacing the MOSFET but even as admittedly cheap electrical engineer with good soldering skills I just didn't see the point considering $30 got it done in 2 days.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by poolmon
Just had same the symptoms that came on all of a sudden with my 2005 TL with 145,000 miles (full blast fan all times, and AC does not start . . . but all else works on climate control system).
I ordered the part from a local ACURA dealer for $62 (no Acura or Honda dealer within 50 miles had it in stock).
I got the impression that the module was behind the glove box and that the glove box had to be removed. That is not the case. There is a single plastic shield under the glove box that runs the width of the passenger side that simply pulls downward and outward (no screws) exposing the module which is actually slightly below the glove box on the far left. The module is mounted to the air box by 2 screws that are fairly easy to access.
Worked perfectly. Didn't have to remove the glove box. Auto zone has the part 45$, It is Honda part 2 screws a quick swap out. A/c working fine again. Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

Having the same problems on our 06 TSX. Well the fan was not working at all or at least intermittently (it's in the upper 80s/low 90s during the day here). We replaced the resistor with a new one --Duralast from Auto Zone. Now the fan only stays on high--it will not shut off. We swapped the resistor for another new one at AZ just in case, but still only stays on high no matter what setting is on the display/control unit. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Having something similar going on with my 06tl .. my ac fan is on high and defrost and won’t come off of it.. where mine seems to be different is that the ac display is completely off .. no writing no back light and the buttons are not functional .. I’ve already taken the unit out of the dash and unplugged and re seated all of the plugs and still have this issue .. did the display work at all for you guys ?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by 06nycTL
Having something similar going on with my 06tl .. my ac fan is on high and defrost and won’t come off of it.. where mine seems to be different is that the ac display is completely off .. no writing no back light and the buttons are not functional .. I’ve already taken the unit out of the dash and unplugged and re seated all of the plugs and still have this issue .. did the display work at all for you guys ?
Your climate control unit seems bad since unplugging one causes the default high and defrost. Probably easily purchased on the classifieds since they are not a high demand item.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WDPanda
Your climate control unit seems bad since unplugging one causes the default high and defrost. Probably easily purchased on the classifieds since they are not a high demand item.
which would make sense but I also have some other symptoms which are found in this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post16114184