Quanaman's NBP Type-S Progress Thread: Updated 12/24/14

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Q, the car looks awesome....

rear caliper getting seized is common in our cars....mine did the same....

Just go to advance auto parts, with some coupons you can get the caliper for 100-120 bucks and when you return the old caliper (core) they give you like 40 bucks back....

I did that about 2 years back and the AAP caliper is working just fine....let me know if you can find a coupon code, I got a bunch of them...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
TL-S

Received 413 Likes on 366 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh
Q, the car looks awesome....

rear caliper getting seized is common in our cars....mine did the same....

Just go to advance auto parts, with some coupons you can get the caliper for 100-120 bucks and when you return the old caliper (core) they give you like 40 bucks back....

I did that about 2 years back and the AAP caliper is working just fine....let me know if you can find a coupon code, I got a bunch of them...
Thanks buddy! Yeah I've seen these calipers go bad before. We went ahead and picked one up from advance auto using a coupon code for under 60$ or so.

The car is currently with Glenn; since his part out has officially started, my buddy and I figured it would be best to just get his BrakeMotive kit installed. One rotor and pads would have cost around 60-100$ anyway and Glenn gave us a great deal with installation for his 4 rotors and pads. The front and rear brakes were okay but on their way out; so now he'll have an almost new set of drilled/slotted rotors and pads for front & rear.

With 18 credits and an internship, plus looking for a job and all the partying that comes with a "victory lap" extra semester of college, I just didnt have the time to tackle it lol. We dropped it off with Glenn last night and he finished the work already so we are planning to pick it up tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks again to Glenn for the help. Hopefully we can snap some pics of the KBP NBP and SSM altogether when we stop by to pick it up.
The following users liked this post:
Sick TLS (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 01:23 PM

^^^ that is awesome !!!

so yeah he will practically have all "new" brakes....

18 credits , the max I took with my masters was 12 credits....and all the best with looking for a job....I remember those days, I dont mind reliving them just as they were all over again

and to pics
Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
Glenn is a great guy...
Sick TLS (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
TL-S

^^^ that is awesome !!!

so yeah he will practically have all "new" brakes....

18 credits , the max I took with my masters was 12 credits....and all the best with looking for a job....I remember those days, I dont mind reliving them just as they were all over again

and to pics
Haha, I'm just on my bachelors and I did about 12 credits every semester up until this one. There may have been one or two with 15. If I had done the right amount every semester I would've graduated on time in 4 years. But since I slacked early on, (wouldn't have had it any other way) I am forced to take 18 credits this semester and graduate 1 semester late (4.5 years).

Its not too bad. I'm an Economics Major with a minor in Entrepreneurship studies. The minor is just for fun lol.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM

^^^ with me being an international student, I was not allowed to take more than 9 credits (3 classes) for the 1st semester and then max was 12....

the girl who I was dating back in NY, was doing her bachelors in the same university, she was allowed to take upto 18....i think its different rules with different universities, so they can take max $$$ from us LOL....

once you land a job, you will be amazed at how easy modding gets LOL....
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Received 129 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by quanaman

lol that's embarrassing...defeinitely not ducks hahaha

white wheels look sweet btw - contrast is nice. i imagine they get dirty in a matter of minutes

^^^ with me being an international student, I was not allowed to take more than 9 credits (3 classes) for the 1st semester and then max was 12....

the girl who I was dating back in NY, was doing her bachelors in the same university, she was allowed to take upto 18....i think its different rules with different universities, so they can take max $$$ from us LOL....

once you land a job, you will be amazed at how easy modding gets LOL....
They really do try to get money from you..and then after you graduate they start calling you for donations!!
Also, modding is a black hole for $$$'s

Last edited by Kaiii; 09-23-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM

^^^ on all counts....

my tuition over 2 year Masters course was ~40,000USD....this does not include the dorm charges (where I snuck in most nights )

but yeah I lived off campus to save on $$$....Thank GOD for some scholarship that I got (most was taken away due to some confusion and they solved it AFTER I came to US )...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Its not too bad. I'm an Economics Major with a minor in Entrepreneurship studies. The minor is just for fun lol.
Economics...the major that nobody uses in real jobs! I was Econ also...

^^^ on all counts....

my tuition over 2 year Masters course was ~40,000USD....this does not include the dorm charges (where I snuck in most nights )

but yeah I lived off campus to save on $$$....Thank GOD for some scholarship that I got (most was taken away due to some confusion and they solved it AFTER I came to US )...
40k doesn't sound too outrageous for a masters program- what field? I might be going to get mine soon.
Also where were you from originally before moving to the US? (just curious)
Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 PM

^^^ Computer Science (minor in Database Systems)....I came from India in 2005 when I was 21 years old (legal to do what da fuq I like to do )

Q....post some pix bro....take your thread back LOL
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

^^^ Computer Science (minor in Database Systems)....I came from India in 2005 when I was 21 years old (legal to do what da fuq I like to do )

Q....post some pix bro....take your thread back LOL
Nice! Got a bunch of buddies in silicon valley who did just that

Haha seriously, we totally thread jacked you Quana
Old 09-24-2013, 12:33 AM

^^^ what do you mean? I am dumb coz I only landed up in Kansas?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

LOL nooooooo dude. Just a very high concentration of people from overseas in general here. Even half of my family, which is from Taiwan (though we ended up in Hawaii of all places)

I for one would love to visit Kansas and I'm sure it's a wonderful place
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaiii
LOL nooooooo dude. Just a very high concentration of people from overseas in general here. Even half of my family, which is from Taiwan (though we ended up in Hawaii of all places)

I for one would love to visit Kansas and I'm sure it's a wonderful place
Speaking of Hawaii, currently in Oahu and boy.... you 3rd gen TLs are looking good out here!!

Apologies for thread jacking
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM
TL-S

Haha, doesn't bother me!

Economics was basically my first and last choice. I was one of the few lucky people who knew what they had an interest in when I first started college, I always wanted to be an Econ major... TBH I was never a fan of school and the idea that I would even complete my undergrad to me was really far off. Now that I'm almost done I almost cant believe it lol. Just a few requirements standing in my way like Calculus, (which is why I've been up since 7) Statistics, and a couple Psychology classes for my minor.

I'm planning on pursuing entrepreneurship, so Econ was the right fit for me haha. I've always been a fan of business and how the world works, etc. Loved exporting and buying and selling cars and just about anything else since I was a lot younger, so the study of Econ always kind of fascinated me.

But I know most of those jokes about economists haha. Everyone hates the dismal science lol

Edit: BTW, tuition is ~$10k/year here at GMU for in-state. That includes 12-18 credit hours. Some classes have extra fees, pretty much anything in the School of Management (bastards need to get off their high horse). Charged me $120 for taking one course in their school /endrant

Double edit:

might as well post a pic..

Last edited by quanaman; 09-24-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 AM

I was lucky, the power company paid for my education for the most part and my college prepaid would get given back to me in a thousand dollar check every month.

I was going for Entrepreneurship too, but figured working for a big corporation it would not look good so I went for a Marketing degree. I considered doing my masters but I know too many people that have gotten it and don't make any more than me. Plus, if I'm going to stress myself out and go into debt, it needs to be for something I feel strongly about. Maybe environment sciences or something I have no background in.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 AM

Q...you certainly know how the business works....

about tuition, yeah its crazy....I had a 80% scholarship when I came from India....I used to play Football for the state in India....well fuck, here they call it soccer....so when I had attached my "football" certificates, they assumed I was like a wide receiver or something

after I got here and explained to them that in India football = soccer....and american football = rugby (kinda sorta)....they said they wont be able to offer me scholarship and it was tooo late for me to switch schools....I did what I do best, negotiate....they gave me ~50% scholarship and an on campus job (which i denied and worked off campus for more $$$ )
Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Wow Amaze Such TL-S

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I was lucky, the power company paid for my education for the most part and my college prepaid would get given back to me in a thousand dollar check every month.

I was going for Entrepreneurship too, but figured working for a big corporation it would not look good so I went for a Marketing degree. I considered doing my masters but I know too many people that have gotten it and don't make any more than me. Plus, if I'm going to stress myself out and go into debt, it needs to be for something I feel strongly about. Maybe environment sciences or something I have no background in.
That's definitely lucky! I'm also really fortunate/blessed that I don't have debt after school. If you did masters you wouldn't do MBA then?

Haha, doesn't bother me!

Economics was basically my first and last choice. I was one of the few lucky people who knew what they had an interest in when I first started college, I always wanted to be an Econ major... TBH I was never a fan of school and the idea that I would even complete my undergrad to me was really far off. Now that I'm almost done I almost cant believe it lol. Just a few requirements standing in my way like Calculus, (which is why I've been up since 7) Statistics, and a couple Psychology classes for my minor.

I'm planning on pursuing entrepreneurship, so Econ was the right fit for me haha. I've always been a fan of business and how the world works, etc. Loved exporting and buying and selling cars and just about anything else since I was a lot younger, so the study of Econ always kind of fascinated me.

But I know most of those jokes about economists haha. Everyone hates the dismal science lol

Edit: BTW, tuition is ~$10k/year here at GMU for in-state. That includes 12-18 credit hours. Some classes have extra fees, pretty much anything in the School of Management (bastards need to get off their high horse). Charged me $120 for taking one course in their school /endrant

Double edit:

might as well post a pic..

Get it done bro!
Yes, definitely the dismal science...especially for the student haha

Q...you certainly know how the business works....

about tuition, yeah its crazy....I had a 80% scholarship when I came from India....I used to play Football for the state in India....well fuck, here they call it soccer....so when I had attached my "football" certificates, they assumed I was like a wide receiver or something

after I got here and explained to them that in India football = soccer....and american football = rugby (kinda sorta)....they said they wont be able to offer me scholarship and it was tooo late for me to switch schools....I did what I do best, negotiate....they gave me ~50% scholarship and an on campus job (which i denied and worked off campus for more $$$ )
that's awesome - well it worked out!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I'm not a fan of white wheels.....except on your car.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM

I would do MBA as it's the most obvious, but I don't feel "passionate" about it. Believe it or not, I've considered getting my ASE certs just for fun and possibly to fall back on.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM

^^^ passion is everything...no point doing it if you dont make anymore $$$ or the company wont pay for it....

also no point doing it if you are not doing from a top 30-50 universities....coz you will be paying a lot of $$$ for no gains....

with that said, I feel education never goes waste....so even if it doesnt help you now, it might in the future.....passion is something which should be the driver though
Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Shit, my school is $25k a year

I've thought about getting my MBA as well but it doesn't really interest me, therefore I don't think I would try. I would rather get my masters in something that interests me like public relations or Bojangles. Everyone needs to learn about Bojangles.
rockstar143 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM

^^^ one day am gonna drive down there just for Bonjales....shit...we didnt even eat there when we met in my dreams
Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM

It's Fried Chicken. Seriously.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM
TL-S

Hahaha bojangles is bawse.

Interesting you guys bring up this discussion.

I was meeting with a Comm. professor whose been teaching here for years; hes a former federal prosecutor turned defense attorney, financial advisor, and now entrepreneur. He's a business and professional communications teacher and was also an Econ major for his undergrad (years ago).

Basically he was pushing me to pursue some kind of graduate program; so I'm now looking into a few 1 year certifications but to be honest, I'm trying to get out of school and never look back lol.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by akplaya92
WOW! that's some tight clearance between your brembos and rim. What's your rim and tire size? 19x8.5 +32? and tire size? I'm looking to put the same rims on my TL.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Yeah you basically leave it alone. Everything that's attached to it is also attached to something else so it doesn't shake or vibrate too much

Thanks!! One of my next mods is getting tail lights just like yours

Thanks!

My guy keeps asking me when I'll be ready for a shoot but the car isn't ready! It's gonna have to be be after I get my sideskirts installed and my brakes painted Maybe then I'll feel like its "Ready."

In other news, the weather here has been amazing lately and I had to use my sunshade which I love...Also have my window visors installed

Love the drop. How much drop on the front and rear?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM
TL-S

Originally Posted by jauman
WOW! that's some tight clearance between your brembos and rim. What's your rim and tire size? 19x8.5 +32? and tire size? I'm looking to put the same rims on my TL.
Hey there!

Thanks for the compliment! I found these measurements from fender to ground for stock TL:

F: 27"
R: 26.875" (26-7/8")

IMO that sounds a little high to me, but I recently measured and adjusted my coils, now my lowered height is 24.5" all the way around. So from those measurements I'm about 2.5" lowered all the way around but like I said I think the stock height measurement above is a little higher than I think my car was.

The Vossens are CV3's

Front:
19x8.5 +32 (5mm spacer installed, real offset +27)
225/35/19 Yokohama S Drive

Rear
19x10 +36
255/30/19 Nankang NS-2
jauman (09-29-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Hey there!

Thanks for the compliment! I found these measurements from fender to ground for stock TL:

F: 27"
R: 26.875" (26-7/8")

IMO that sounds a little high to me, but I recently measured and adjusted my coils, now my lowered height is 24.5" all the way around. So from those measurements I'm about 2.5" lowered all the way around but like I said I think the stock height measurement above is a little higher than I think my car was.

The Vossens are CV3's

Front:
19x8.5 +32 (5mm spacer installed, real offset +27)
225/35/19 Yokohama S Drive

Rear
19x10 +36
255/30/19 Nankang NS-2
I've got a 08 Base TL (AT). I'm interested in the CV3 19x8.5 +32 I wanting to put 245/35/19 tires on them. I'm also interested in installing the A-Spec suspension kit (.75-1" drop) and Stop Tech BBK.

Question(s): ...(in your own opinion)...

1- Will they fit my TL, with .75-1" drop, without rubbing, running 245's?

2- Would the wheels clear the Stop Tech BBK?

3- Are you using a Camber Kit?

4- Were you able to use your stock TPMS with the Vossen CV3's?

Thanks again for your input and time responding.

Jo-Nate
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM

J-man asking Q-man questions....you guys know each other?
Kaiii (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM

I was wondering if he was serious about buying the wheels too!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM
TL-S

Originally Posted by jauman
I've got a 08 Base TL (AT). I'm interested in the CV3 19x8.5 +32 I wanting to put 245/35/19 tires on them. I'm also interested in installing the A-Spec suspension kit (.75-1" drop) and Stop Tech BBK.

Question(s): ...(in your own opinion)...

1- Will they fit my TL, with .75-1" drop, without rubbing, running 245's?

2- Would the wheels clear the Stop Tech BBK?

3- Are you using a Camber Kit?

4- Were you able to use your stock TPMS with the Vossen CV3's?

Thanks again for your input and time responding.

Jo-Nate
I think with only dropping it about one inch, your specs should fit. But tbh, my setup came with the current tires installed and I got lucky so I didn't choose the sizes of the tires. I'm lowered quite a bit more. At the worst you'll probably have to roll your fenders. I have my rear fenders rolled but the fronts havent been, and with my 225/35/19 (yokohama s drive) they sometimes scrape against the inside of the fender.

I'm not sure if they'll clear Stoptech BBK as I don't have any experience with them, but I couldn't the brembo's with the +32 which is why I have the 5mm spacers in the front. If the stoptech is smaller than the brembo calipers on TLS, then you may get away with it. If any bigger, you'll need a 10mm spacer.

No camber kits! I don't have my tpms installed in the CV3's so I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it can be done; you can always call vossen and they'll tell you.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 AM
TL-S

Well hot damn its been 10 days since I've had an update.

First; this past weekend I took off the Vossens in preparation to send the rear two in for a warranty replacement. Finally got a hold of the Diego at Vossen and they agreed to take them back due to uneven paint chips on the outer lips--something I had contacted them about 2-3 times.

Finally though they said that despite the fact that I am the second owner they will replace them for me if I just send in my old ones without tires or valves. So I have to have my tires removed, ship the bitches in, and they'll send me replacements and I'll have to remount/balance. Its a pain in the ass, but I'll have new rears in perfect shape so whatever.

So I took this opportunity to throw on my aspecs and just be able to drive the car comfortably for a while. I also threw on my 20mm rear and 15mm front spacers for the first time on this car. I get some rubbing and whatnot so I think I really do need to get my fronts rolled and my rears pulled a tad...Its a little embarrassing to be rubbing with stock 18x8.5's lol. Plus I think the tab on the front fenders is cutting my tires...so that will be taken care of soon enough I guess.

Interesting story; was driving on I95 south, approaching 495 yesterday cruising at 65mph in the center lane when I the passenger of a silver Toyota Rav4 roll down his window, pull out his Nikon, and proceed to take rolling shots of me driving lol. Dude was snapping pics for what seemed like forever! I gave him the thumbs up haha.

Pretty interesting I guess, wish I could find the dude... I don't have any rolling shots of my car

Old 10-17-2013, 09:19 AM
06 ASM TL

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Car looking good, per usual man
Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It's amazing when the Aspecs are your "slumming" wheels.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Bird is the Word

Received 975 Likes on 632 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with Aspecs! I always toss around the idea of aftermarket wheels, but they look so good when lowered with spacers.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
TL-S

Thanks everyone!

I'm really liking riding around on them. Such a clean look.

I have some rubbing in the back which is annoying though. Damn 20mm spacers.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 539 Posts
A-Specs FTW! I love my set that I got from you, and they may be going back on soon for the winter. I just wish my set had come out a bit darker. Now that I have my ES2s in a darker hyper black, I love the contrast against ASM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn man got any more pics of the aspec? Im debating whether to get the 8.5's on my NBP
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 PM
TL-S

I'll take some in the coming days.

Ps. You can't go wrong with the gunmetal 8.5's on nbp.

Quick Reply: Quanaman's NBP Type-S Progress Thread: Updated 12/24/14