JayVee's 3G TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
No, Im talking about getting another piece of styrofoam to provide a base for the cardboard floor.
I guess I have to get creative because it sounded like placing the Styrofoam "ON TOP" of the amp will only add to smuttering it and getting too hot. But Styrofoam maybe a opt to design something. I also will be adding a STINGER (8.25X1) low profile STRIP COOLING FAN to the compartment to keep things cool and no worries.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by swoosh
Can't see anything from work...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Jeremy you could always ditch the spare and get a membership to AAA.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
^^^I already have that!
Yeah, i may consider it...between losing the box and the spare i could drop down 100 lbs I bet.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

^^^I already have that!
Yeah, i may consider it...between losing the box and the spare i could drop down 100 lbs I bet.
A 100 is not far off realisticly between those 2 items. Those both have some weight to em.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Final stages of this INFINITE BAFFLE build. Here is what was accomplished today. Placed the airbag module, replaced the bottom seat clips, bolted & secured the baffle with 6 Lag screws & doubled washers, LENOX Cleaned & Conditioned the rear leather seats & Installed the rear seats. Completing this finalizes the interior and leaves the remaining of the work isolated in the trunk.

Next ~ Trim the triangle shapes and corners of the trunk carpet side walls giving a clean OEM look as possible, create a amp rack/mount, secure amp and wire it in. Wah-La!

Bolted down & secured

Bottom seat clips replaced 2x

Prepping the seat

I did cut this leather flap at the carpet material with enough on both ends to sew on later if needed ~ as shown

Modified AIRBAG MODULE to mount flush with EXTREME 3M tape. Note the placement guide tabs cut flush so the module can be mounted flush in its original spot without using the bracket or hardware is was originally mounted with.

Notice the pegs/guides

Cut them easily with a razor since they are hollow.

Mounted in original spot with 3M tape to DYNAMAT Butyl/Aluminum side

Installed seat after LENOX Clean & Conditioned the leather

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Great, u r almost there!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
So clean! Looks good man! I can't wait to hear it!

I'm a need to order one of those clips lol, I just remembered I broke the tab off mine when I did my suspension. Thx for the reminder lol
Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by pinina
Great, u r almost there!
Hells Yeah!

Originally Posted by Mondo375
So clean! Looks good man! I can't wait to hear it!

I'm a need to order one of those clips lol, I just remembered I broke the tab off mine when I did my suspension. Thx for the reminder lol
Only a couple $$$ at HONDA. Maybe even cheaper at the ACURA/HONDA parts online sites. Mine were broken when installed the TEIN springs I started off with...lol ~ So, figured this was the perfect time to replace em
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, it's looking good. I can't believe it's almost finished.
The following users liked this post:
JayVee (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JayVee
One of my loyal fans Thank You Sir!

OK, first... NO! these are NOT cut into OEM headrest. These are Audiovox PREFABBED (already assembled) Headrest 7in DVD monitors. The only thing neede to be done out of the box was to wrap the choice of leather around the bare headrest and monitor. The kit comes with TAN, BLACK & GREY. Obviously, I needed the black leather kit included. In addition, choices of post diameter sizes was needed for best fitment. (Also included in the kit)

So in short, In this entire thread I like a clean subtle look of mods and close to OEM as possible, with a twist But most important to me is everything being able to disassemble all my mods and convert right back to OEM stock for those "Just in case" situations. This goes for the head unit also...COMPLETE STOCK! with RCA tapped before the amp and all additional accessories also installed before the factory amp. The matrix was used as a fancy LOC to help keep or convert the output power higher then the OEM head unit puts out. It was even advised today by my friend/installer the MATRIX was not even needed. But he will install it only because I have it already

Hope that made scense because it never does to me and always needs to be explained to me over and over and over.... DON'T SAY A WORD JERRY!

Hope this helps
sorry if i made it alil unclear there. i wasnt asking about the head rest. i saw where you posted the pix of the box for them and that they were ready to go in color matched and all.
i did alot of reading around and looking at other builds as well and saw that most everyone is just using some kind of ingratiation system to tap in to the stock head unit.
i understand that you and others like the look of the stock head unit and dont see the need to change it. but its not really that hard to put in an aftermarket radio and make everything work.
im in the works of that right now. the only thing i have left to do is get the nav screen to work without the oem head unit being in there. and i think that i have figured that out.
with all that being said. that is why i was asking if you were keeping the oem head unit. because it seems like you are doing alot of nice stuff and wanted to leave the oem head unit in. but to each his own and props on doing it so nicely.
sorry to make that so long btw.
JayVee (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced

^im not tryin to be an A hole at all. sorry if i came off that way. im just trying to get ideas and knowledge from everyone.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by rhdstinky
sorry if i made it alil unclear there. i wasnt asking about the head rest. i saw where you posted the pix of the box for them and that they were ready to go in color matched and all.
i did alot of reading around and looking at other builds as well and saw that most everyone is just using some kind of ingratiation system to tap in to the stock head unit.
i understand that you and others like the look of the stock head unit and dont see the need to change it. but its not really that hard to put in an aftermarket radio and make everything work.
im in the works of that right now. the only thing i have left to do is get the nav screen to work without the oem head unit being in there. and i think that i have figured that out.
with all that being said. that is why i was asking if you were keeping the oem head unit. because it seems like you are doing alot of nice stuff and wanted to leave the oem head unit in. but to each his own and props on doing it so nicely.
sorry to make that so long btw.
^im not tryin to be an A hole at all. sorry if i came off that way. im just trying to get ideas and knowledge from everyone.

No problem and thanks for your comments and opinions. No disrespect taken or hard feelings. Like you said, to each his own. Another (aftermarket) HU of some sort packing Navi and other opts maybe in the works later. That just was not in the budget at the time. And maybe it would be appreciated and helpful if you posted your build or project on just how you are doing your new indash HU to how to do it or make it easier for others who may have this in mind. But in other builds, its been done such as Jerry/Niebur3 build. IDK if your build is the same method or different. Either way, share the knowledge.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
Wow...coming together amazingly well, Josh!
I didn't know I could replace those clips...one of mine is broken too! AND, that's the ONLY way I hold down the bottom of the seat since I didn't bother with the stripped rear bolt. Thanks for that!

And just cause you know I'm a PITA but I know you appreciate it.

It's Voila.
And unless you're installing an AC on your rear seats, I think the product is Lexol. LOL.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Wow...coming together amazingly well, Josh!
I didn't know I could replace those clips...one of mine is broken too! AND, that's the ONLY way I hold down the bottom of the seat since I didn't bother with the stripped rear bolt. Thanks for that!

And just cause you know I'm a PITA but I know you appreciate it.

It's Voila.
And unless you're installing an AC on your rear seats, I think the product is Lexol. LOL.
Huh?

...and yes! I was thinking I made a mistake on the Leather Cleaner & Conditioning while brain storming her at wk. I just haven't had a chance to edit... It is LEXOL and the stuff is awesome! I have always used this stuff when I had leather int.

As for the clips, be careful removing them. They are a true PITA, at least for me it was. I was using a small screwdriver trying to engage the prong/clips that fasten them to the metal and finally prying and pulling and breakig them, the sd slipped and now I have 2in gash cut on my left palm...Shit was leaking like a faucet Both of mine were broken and I am just glad its fixed now since I also don't have the rear bolt. But seat is in there very firm and does not budge!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM

@ Lexol

@ Leatherique

damn this is almost done....i can foresee some youtube videos on here....
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

@ Lexol

@ Leatherique

damn this is almost done....i can foresee some youtube videos on here....
never heard of it...But I will keep a eye out and give it a try. I always keep an array of vehicle detail cleaners of sort.

And I just may have to put that KODAK mini hand held rec'r to work

Last edited by JayVee; 08-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

As I was sitting at work with my mind running a million miles per second on what can I do different to support the arm rest from extending all the way back to the sub and to look custom/fancy one off? I decided to place that on the back burning since as of right now, that is cosmetic and beauty for the final touches later and AFTER I have some damn music! ...lol

So, moving on to actual needed and productive work I stopped at HOME DEPOT to pick up a smaller sheet 1x4 3/4 MDF (I might have not even needed it...) to combine with a the hundreds of smaller pcs and sheets I have along the way of this project. With that, I will design and make a way for the xovers and amp to be mounted and secured in the spare tire tub. Something simple, but purhaps looks cool also to pls all my followers I also picked up a sheet of 2x4 1/4 Temp Hardboard. This is practically what car manufactures use to support the carpet in the trunk from bowing or bending in the spare tire tub. And that is exactly the way I will be using it to help with the carpet panel from bending inward since I no longer have a spare tire to and foam tool case supporting it as ACURA intended.

I will get top work just as soon as I get a bite to eat and play with my baby boy. Its a GIVE GIVE being a father...
Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Starting off where I left off with that thin spare tire trunk handy board. If I use it, here it is trimmed to shape and doubled panel for support. This is on standy by in case the spare comes out and I am forced to go back to the option of mounting the amp in the spare tire tub. (Which, I love the so fresh clean look...) But I am tinkering with the other option to avoid possible cooling issues ~

Here is the board:

Its Saturday and been up all night tossing & turning thinking "WHERE AM I GOING TO PLACE THIS AMP?" ...So, going with the popular demand of recommending to mount the amp under the upper trunk deck. Here is what I have mocked and come up with so far...Still, "IN THE WERKS" As always, any help, ideas, opinions are a blessing.

Now here is what I been doing this morning: *These braces are STRONG as heck!*

Now one end cut down a few inches and the "L" shape stretched out for the perfect angle & mocked with amp:

Brackets mocked in trunk:

This is where I am getting the idea to run the wires to immediately come off the amp and run to the top deck panel through here:

...More to come

Last edited by JayVee; 08-18-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:55 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

OK, here is a lil something I will be adding to assist with mounting the amp securely to the braces. In between the brace and the amp will be a strip of cushion of some sort, maybe the fuzzy side only of a strip of velcro or 3m 2 sided tale with only one side peeled to stick to the brace and cushion the amp side. But here is the braces:

Old 08-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

Wow, this is really looking good. I'm more excited-seeing it almost completed.
JayVee (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, this is really looking good. I'm more excited-seeing it almost completed.
Thanks Buddy, glad your are enjoying yourself and excited with anticipation of my completion

...On a side note, I tried to pre-drill into those brace studs and once I started to thread the stock amp screws IT SPLIT! I think its because of my threading the screw through the skinny thin side of the cut wood rather then the fatter wider side laying down which would have given me more body of wood to support...Back to the drawing board This are just the MANY thinks that happen along the way that I don't update or post and SLOWS ME DOWN from completion.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Damn...it split! Hopefully, just a small setback!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Damn...it split! Hopefully, just a small setback!
Yeah, no biggie. I have more just like it just longer from my previous FAILS in building the IB panel So I just cut another pc and be done with it. Or, change it to a full MDF panel the size of the amp to back the mounting with instead of a small block One fail always come back with a WIN of a idea or improvement. Trust me, I have many during this build...lol

The ONLY real set back is I been on this "L" brace idea and design all day long! Back and fwd to the shop to use Gabe's air compressed cutting blade 2x or HOME DEPOT for one thing or another. Not to mention, the sizing, thinking, mocking, thinking and much more thinking.

Last edited by JayVee; 08-18-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM

nice....i used the same 4x4 "L" shaped brackets to make my seat brackets LOL....

they are very very strong ....
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Cool

nice....i used the same 4x4 "L" shaped brackets to make my seat brackets LOL....

they are very very strong ....
Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Here is my mock to my semi-stealth amp rack/shelf. I came home from CiCi Pizza with the kids, came home watched a movie with em and as they headed to bed I head to the patio to put to work what I could not stop thinking of...I am telling you, the completion of this system is going to be the death of me. Not to mention, the wife is NOT pleased... So being that is after midnight, I better get to bed to make up for it

Anyways, here is my semi-stealth mock. This will hang under the deck completely horizontal more like a amp shelf exposing only the front edge:

NOTE: besides this option ^ My last option will be going completely stealth hiding tha amp in all under the carpet door in the spare tire spare tub.

LMK any ideas, opinions, pros and cons... Thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Pics ^ above is the side panel holding their own and standing for mock up purposes. But here it is with finishing nails and Gorilla glue for full assembly.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM

you lost me there sergeant !!!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

you lost me there sergeant !!!
Yeah, Sorry. What I was saying is the first pic of the new shelf design was just placed on the floor and the side panels just standing on their own on the title floor. The pics in the following post where fully assembled with Gorilla Glue and finishing nails to hold in place and secure.

...and now these pics are assembled with mounting brackets mocked with amp and mocked in car with amp. (With the assistance of my son...lol.

...The only problem I see as of right now without diggin further and verifying is, it seems the length of the amp, shelf/rack and brackets seem to be in the area of the outer deck speakers where I will need to drill and place the hardware. So, that is something I am facing and will check into.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM

you got some "junk in ya trunk"

wudnt that amp location eat away your trunk space? and that is a high traffic area so the "rack" might get several hits....
Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Advanced

looks good man.
like i said i was workin on makin the nav work with an aftermarket head unit.
i got it workin. took about 8 hours to figure it out but it works.
cost on the solution. 1.76 bucks. and i have extras if need be. lol.
ill make a wright up and post pics.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:24 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

you got some "junk in ya trunk"

wudnt that amp location eat away your trunk space? and that is a high traffic area so the "rack" might get several hits....
Nor really man. If u see in the last pic (close up) u will seem that it really sits far back by looking at the top deck carper cover how much space is there from the amp outward. In this shelf design, the space is freed up from trunk floor up and the chances of getting hit are still less then the other design since it hung so much lower in front of the magnet. And last, I really don't use my car for heavy store and tow. Groceries and now the fold up baby stroller is the heaviest/bulkiest items I carry on a day to day...and the stroller fits with this design with no chances of hitting or scratching the amp.

Even with all this said, I am still NOT sold on it 100% and still may go under the floor board. Mounting this shelf and running the wires seems more work then being done with this system already. Maybe I am getting inpatient.

looks good man.
like i said i was workin on makin the nav work with an aftermarket head unit.
i got it workin. took about 8 hours to figure it out but it works.
cost on the solution. 1.76 bucks. and i have extras if need be. lol.
ill make a wright up and post pics.
Post a thread and pics bro!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/complete-re-do-allllllll-audio-car-866385/
this is my thread i just made.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

I feel like a little kid riding in my parents car for vacation, saying "Are we there yet?"

So close....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:28 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I feel like a little kid riding in my parents car for vacation, saying "Are we there yet?"

So close....
Glad to bring you so much itching joy
Old 08-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced

i was meanin to ask you this before.
how much room is there between the surround on the sub and the back of the seat?
it looks like it mite hit the back of the seat when your puttin good power to it or hittin a really low note.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
I like the idea of keeping the amp up on the top of the trunk. Kinda reminds me of the drawer available in the 4G TL.

Quick Reply: JayVee's 3G TL