Complete re-do of allllllll audio in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Complete re-do of allllllll audio in the car.

ok this is what iv been workin on.
(just for the record not all these parts are stayin in. im lookin into gettin new stuff. i just had all this layin around.
alpine type s components all the way around. the older ones with the silk tweeter.
jlx 360/4 amp for the 2 sets of components.
monster 4 channel rcas. shielded.
2 gauge moster poer cable.
and im using and alpine cda-9815.
its alil old i know. but i like it. its got some good features built into it and its been kickin since 07. lol.
ok first of take the 26 pin grey plug front the back of the radio and you want to unpin 13 and 26. 13=blue 26=red.
and just so yall know. these are the only two wires that have to go into the oem radio for the nav screen to work and be responsive. it took me almost 8 hours to figure this out. i had been up for about 11 hours before i started this by the way.

next you want to go to a radio shack or some where that you can buy resistors (if you dont have them) you will need 68 ohm ones.

next put the resistor in the two unpined wires. blue and red. doesnt matter on direction of resistor.

then i clipped some of the lead off. and put heat shrink over both leads.

then heat the heat shrink. my heat gun is at my moms rite now so i used my fav lighter. lol. and yes its really a lighter. i have an ak 47 one too.

next i put more heat shrink on. you cant be to safe. rite?

and now with that said you are ready to use ur nava again.
now let me say this. i have not used the voice stuff for the nav and i dont care that its gone. ill do some digging and see if i can figure out away to get it to work. you also loose you hands free and blue tooth stuff. idc about that cuz i dont talk on the phone when im driven. ill look into it and see what i can find out about gettin it workin again.
this what it looks like with the radio in the oem spot. it bolted rite to where the oem was and holes lined up perfect. to get power, memory, and ground i just taped into the factory harness for the radio. I DID NOT CUT ANY WIRES TO DO THIS. the oem radio can be replaced and go back to stock if need be.

and also. my clock still works along with all my hvafc read out up top.
ill try and get a video of everything workin up soon. all this is from my phone so please work with the pics. they seem ok to me tho.
o yea before i forget. this is how far i went to track down what was makin the nav work. lol.

and here is the circuit board where the plugs go into the back of the radio.

if didnt explain anything well enough feel free to ask. ill help as much as i can.
The following users liked this post:
Jet Jaguar (10-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced

next ill post some pix of my tweeter install in the dash. im gona be pretty happy with the out come after i mount the tweeter to the oem grill.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced

ok here is what the tweeter will look like when i mount it to the grill.

this is where i put the xovers. i have my jl amp in the trunk and i didnt wana run new wire to the front. so what i did was i took the rear speaker wires (+ and -) left and right. and hooked them into my front out puts on the amp. i then went to where the oem amp was and located the correct wires that came out of the amp to the rear speakers. i made those as my input to my x overs. i then took the wires from the oem amp, out to the front speakers, and put them as the out put for the woofer on the x over. and for the tweeter i just dropped the new wire down. its like 2 foot away no big deal. its alot more easy than it sounds.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced

also the x overs fit perfect where the oem amp was. ill have to move them in a few weeks when i start on my kicks. no problem tho.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, so your nav works??? Just curious, does your top center console work as well (clock, Climate indicators), what about the rearview camera?

Ironically, I have been searching on the forum for a Nav to non-nav thread, just for audio's sake.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Wow, looks like a huge undertaking....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary Mac
Nice, so your nav works??? Just curious, does your top center console work as well (clock, Climate indicators), what about the rearview camera?

Ironically, I have been searching on the forum for a Nav to non-nav thread, just for audio's sake.
yes it does. i stated that above the pick of the taken apart oem radio. and i dont have a rearveiw camera.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Wow, looks like a huge undertaking....
its not really that bad. i have completely re done a few civic harnesses. all the way from head light to tail light. iv build a motor harness almost from scratch and done a few alarms. wiring isnt really any big deal for me. you just gota do it and research it.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:31 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
How I wish you were closer...lol!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayVee
How I wish you were closer...lol!
ikr. lol.
ill be down in fl next year some time with my fiance to see her mom. i would love to see ur car if im close by. i dont have a clue where her mom lives. lol i just know its on the gulf side of fl.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by rhdstinky
ikr. lol.
ill be down in fl next year some time with my fiance to see her mom. i would love to see ur car if im close by. i dont have a clue where her mom lives. lol i just know its on the gulf side of fl.
The GULF side is where I am at brother Tampa Fl! combined with St. Petersburg and Clearwater Fl called THE BAY AREA!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Thats a good idea ! Deffinately makes for a clean install ! The x overs seen in the front panel are for the rears ? Where do you plan on putting the front x overs ? Either way looks like it will be a clean install regardless .
Old 08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JayVee
The GULF side is where I am at brother Tampa Fl! combined with St. Petersburg and Clearwater Fl called THE BAY AREA!
tits man. ill def have to let you know when we are headin down. ill find out where her mom lives.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlitzBlackGSXR
Thats a good idea ! Deffinately makes for a clean install ! The x overs seen in the front panel are for the rears ? Where do you plan on putting the front x overs ? Either way looks like it will be a clean install regardless .
i guess the way i explained could have been alil confusing on the x overs for the front. but the front ones are the ones in the kick. i just used the oem rear speaker wires to get the power from my amp to the front.
sorry about that.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced

ok, i got the dash and center console back together. and i got my tweeters mounted too. ill takes pix tom when the sun is out and my phone has a charge. it died today about 2 hours ago. lol.
also i have an ipod hook up installed too. it plays and charges at the same time. im goin to use my ipod as a " dvd player" when i buy the interface thing. ill get that after i finish the subs and buy the amps.
stay tuned for new updates in the next few days.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Instructor

i guess the way i explained could have been alil confusing on the x overs for the front. but the front ones are the ones in the kick. i just used the oem rear speaker wires to get the power from my amp to the front.
sorry about that.
Oohh ok , i see what you mean now . Yea it was a little confusing but i gotcha now . Ill be doing my speaker upgrade soon too . Just waiting on a few more things to come in. I went with all Memphis M-class and im using the stock amp and i have a Image Dynamics 8" sub with memphis m class amp .
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
I think I missed it somewhere, why is the resistor needed?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor

I think he said that the resistor was needed for the navi to continue working like factory
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
sub'd
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
sub'd
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Oohh ok , i see what you mean now . Yea it was a little confusing but i gotcha now . Ill be doing my speaker upgrade soon too . Just waiting on a few more things to come in. I went with all Memphis M-class and im using the stock amp and i have a Image Dynamics 8" sub with memphis m class amp .
i hear ya man. memphis used to be really good and then it was like the y fell off the face of the earth. lol. i havent heard anything about them in a few years. im sure they still have good stuff like they used to.
are you goin to use the stock radio too?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bruce Banner
I think I missed it somewhere, why is the resistor needed?
yes like blitz said. it was to make the oem nav function again. all the stock radio does is put resistance between the two wires to as a security feature. smart idea but easy to get around.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced

ok here are a few new pix.
this is after i got all the center console back together. im goin to make my trim ring out abs plastic and then cover it in carbon over lay. i hope i can match the oem stuff.

the is the tweeter after i mounted it to the oem grill. i have a lathe at my house so i just chucked the grill in it and bored a perfect hole to fit the tweeter. the shinny stuff on there is a clear sealant. ill touch it up with some flat black paint that i use on model cars. it works good.

and here is the bottom part of my sub box. its going to have two type r 10s in it. kinda facing each other almost. and then im goin to run two kenwood amps. one on each sub. ill try and get the sides front and back done tom.

and as i said before, im looking into making the blue tooth work again and make the nav talk too. we the blur tooth is goin to be easy. im just goin to get an after market blue tooth receiver and pipe the sound out put thru the oem center and put the mic up in the dome light like stock. im still looking into the nav talkin thing. thats goin to take a while.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced

o yea. i have a pic of the hvafc working with the correct time too. with the nav on and my radio on too, it all works, i am getting alil fed back noise in the front speakers and tweeters. i am goin to solve that by running ne wires from the amp in the trunk to the front x overs. i cant remember the name of it rite now but its 4 small gauge wire inside of an insulated covering. that will fix the noise i hope.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Instructor

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Does your hfl work?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Does your hfl work?
no it doesnt work. all that info is stored in the oem radio from what i have read. i dont really care about that part of all the bells and whistles on the car. i dont talk on the phone when i drive anyways, kinda for the same reason cars in japan didnt used to have cup holders in the front. so its not something i really care about.
sorry if that is a alil disappointing to you.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Instructor

i hear ya man. memphis used to be really good and then it was like the y fell off the face of the earth. lol. i havent heard anything about them in a few years. im sure they still have good stuff like they used to.
are you goin to use the stock radio too?
Yea i used to have memphis stuff a few years ago in my eg hatch and it all sounded good ! Then like you said they kinda fell off . But i think their quality is back up . All my speakers are the M-Class . My front comps are the Syncronis series and their is only one more model above mine. Then using m-class coax in the rear . I cant wait to install everything , just waitin on some other install gear and i should be good to go ! I hope lol

And yes im using the stock radio . I have a clarion single din tv but not sure i want to mess with trying to install it ..... Im kinda on the fence about it , it would be nice but i dont want to lose hfl but then again the clarion has bluetooth . I guess the only thing that is really stopping me is trying to make a dash kit that looks good

Last edited by BlitzBlackGSXR; 08-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Yea i used to have memphis stuff a few years ago in my eg hatch and it all sounded good ! Then like you said they kinda fell off . But i think their quality is back up . All my speakers are the M-Class . My front comps are the Syncronis series and their is only one more model above mine. Then using m-class coax in the rear . I cant wait to install everything , just waitin on some other install gear and i should be good to go ! I hope lol

And yes im using the stock radio . I have a clarion single din tv but not sure i want to mess with trying to install it ..... Im kinda on the fence about it , it would be nice but i dont want to lose hfl but then again the clarion has bluetooth . I guess the only thing that is really stopping me is trying to make a dash kit that looks good
well thats good to know that they have come back.
and when you say a single din tv, you mean a flip out, rite?
if you have nav i wouldnt worry about another screen, im just goin to get a inter face thing to get video on my nav screen. 200 bucks on ebay. its a plug and play thing pretty much. and with the blue tooth im not really worried to much about it. i just wanta try it. lol.
i have an aux input for my alpine so i can pipe after market sound thru all my speakers, the only thing i need to set up is a mic.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Instructor

well thats good to know that they have come back.
and when you say a single din tv, you mean a flip out, rite?
if you have nav i wouldnt worry about another screen, im just goin to get a inter face thing to get video on my nav screen. 200 bucks on ebay. its a plug and play thing pretty much. and with the blue tooth im not really worried to much about it. i just wanta try it. lol.
i have an aux input for my alpine so i can pipe after market sound thru all my speakers, the only thing i need to set up is a mic.
Yea , a flip out . I have a brand new clarion vz-401 that i was going to use in a previous car then came across the tv i wanted for a good price . So the clarion never got used and has been sitting in the box for the past 10-11 months ! Ive been trying to get rid of it for a few months now .

My TL is a base , so no nav .
Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Yea i used to have memphis stuff a few years ago in my eg hatch and it all sounded good ! Then like you said they kinda fell off . But i think their quality is back up .
If you are happy with them, that is all that matters, but I wouldn't say Memphis is back up quality wise, but I guess I wouldn't say they were ever really up there quality wise in the first place. There are many other brands you could purchase that would sound much better for the same price or less.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Instructor

no it doesnt work. all that info is stored in the oem radio from what i have read. i dont really care about that part of all the bells and whistles on the car. i dont talk on the phone when i drive anyways, kinda for the same reason cars in japan didnt used to have cup holders in the front. so its not something i really care about.
No, actually, I have never used Bluetooth or the hfl and I've had the car for 3 years. Was just curious.

All I use are the steering wheel controls, back up camera and nav
Old 08-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
No, actually, I have never used Bluetooth or the hfl and I've had the car for 3 years. Was just curious.

dumb question here, why cant you just relocate the stock radio under the dash somewhere like we used to do in the 96-97 Honda civics because the key-less entry was in the head unit.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Advanced

i hear ya on that. i just got the car less than a month ago. lol.
i cant go with out a good sounding system in the car. but i still wanted the nav to work tho.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by indymeh
dumb question here, why cant you just relocate the stock radio under the dash somewhere like we used to do in the 96-97 Honda civics because the key-less entry was in the head unit.
i could have done that if i wanted to loose my two lil pockets under the radio. theres not really any room for it anywhere. the stock head unit is the size of a double din radio. and if i wanted to put it any where else id have to extend the wires. and thats about 60 wires.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced

no updates for today guys. had to go see my lady. ill work on my sub box again tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, I might have missed it somewhere in your 1st few posts, but.. How did you install everything back to how it is supposed to work with the new Head Unit?

I've wanted to do something like this with a regular Pioneer double din + MS-8.
The following users liked this post:
erdoc48 (04-20-2013)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerZDevil
So, I might have missed it somewhere in your 1st few posts, but.. How did you install everything back to how it is supposed to work with the new Head Unit?

I've wanted to do something like this with a regular Pioneer double din + MS-8.
the only thing that works is the nav. i havent figured out the other stuff yet.
and with the double din youll prolly have to mess with the two arms that the factory radio bolted to, to make it sit right.
and with that ms-8. if its the jbl thing that says it gets the best out of you what you already have thing. i wouldnt wast my money. if you puttin a after market radio in, dont skip out on the other stuff. it wouldnt be worth the trouble of doin the radio.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced

ok i finished the sub box today. now i need to buy my amps.

i trimed and rounded the edges of the face board where the port comes out to give it a better look. cant really see it in the next pix.

i sanded all the edges down after i put the top on.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Advanced

and i picked these up fri nite from a guy in hickory nc.

idk who makes them. there is no name on them. but they are 18x8. they look like crap rite now cause i aircrafted them. im stripin em down to make em look purdyfull. lol. im not goin to tell what im doin to them. ill just show when i get done.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 PM
"ewa bound"

want to know how you wired the system up, did u remove the factory amp, did u get a harness, and cut and splice utilizing the stock wires for the stereo? please lmk

Quick Reply: Complete re-do of allllllll audio in the car.