Complete re-do of allllllll audio in the car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^
This?

Back of Headunit

Connector C (26-pin)

Connector A (20-pin) & Connector B (14-pin)

Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhdstinky
the only thing that works is the nav. i havent figured out the other stuff yet.
and with the double din youll prolly have to mess with the two arms that the factory radio bolted to, to make it sit right.
and with that ms-8. if its the jbl thing that says it gets the best out of you what you already have thing. i wouldnt wast my money. if you puttin a after market radio in, dont skip out on the other stuff. it wouldnt be worth the trouble of doin the radio.
I already have the MS8 hooked up to my stock HU. I just wanted to try a Pioneer double din HU w/out all of the bells and whistles. I'm not worried about any BT/HFL or anything else, just NAVI.

It's good to see what you have done and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badboy68
want to know how you wired the system up, did u remove the factory amp, did u get a harness, and cut and splice utilizing the stock wires for the stereo? please lmk
i wired up the system like you would in any other car. i ran a 4 channel rca and a 2 channel rca, i ran those down the middle of the car under the center console and carpet. i ran a 12v power wire for the amps, and a remote wire for the amps to come on, i ran those down the driver side. i used the factory speaker wiring to get my signal from my jl 4 channel amp up to the front.
im not tryin to be an a hole but " if you dont know how to wire up a simple system, you shouldnt try" dont take that the wrong way but im a very blunt person and i dont beat around the bush for any one.
if you read the part rite under the red lettering it tells you that i taped into the power, memory, and ground for my alpine radio. it also says that i did not cut anything.
and yes the factory amp is gone. it was in the way and it was of no use to me.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JerZDevil
I already have the MS8 hooked up to my stock HU. I just wanted to try a Pioneer double din HU w/out all of the bells and whistles. I'm not worried about any BT/HFL or anything else, just NAVI.

It's good to see what you have done and thanks for sharing.
well if you already have it then you should use it till you get ready to change everything. when you do the aftermarket radio i would do away with it and just get a 4 or 5 channel amp. i have a 4 rite now and im lookin into gettin a 5 channel. ill explain in my next post why.
and as for the pioneer dd. iv never really done much with em. i tend to stick to alpine cause i like the simplicity of alpine. i also like the new kenwood stuff too. i havent played with one yet but i have a few friends in the audio biz and they say that there really good for the price and they are simple to use. but dont take my opinion on that. to each his own, ya know.
and im glad to hear that this wright up is helpin a few ppl.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced

ok, i did some lookin around and askin a few ppl. i stoped into freemans car stereo (a car and home audio shop local to the charlotte and surroundin areas) and talked to a guy that iv become kinda friends with. he gave me a good idea to get the nav talkin agin.
if you look up in the post from swoosh (btw thanks man) if you look at plug A, A12 and A13, those are ur audio out, (+,-) feed to the factory amp from the nav. if you take those and conect them to a rca, then run that to a small amp, and then run the signal from the amp the center speaker you should get the voice from the nav again.
now this is all in theory and i have not done it yet. but when i am done in the trunk i will give this a try.
ill have some pix of what i have done so far in the past day for the amp install and re wiring of the rear speakers, x overs, and tweeters by tomorrow i hope.

Last edited by rhdstinky; 08-29-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ok, i did some lookin around and askin a few ppl. i stoped into freemans car stereo (a car and home audio shop local to the charlotte and surroundin areas) and talked to a guy that iv become kinda friends with. he gave me a good idea to get the nav talkin agin.
if you look up in the post from swoosh (btw thanks man) if you look at plug A, A12 and A13, those are ur audio out, (+,-) feed to the factory amp from the nav. if you take those and conect them to a rca, then run that to a small amp, and then run the signal from the amp the center speaker you should get the voice from the nav again.
now this is all in theory and i have not done it yet. but when i am done in the trunk i will give this a try.
ill have some pix of what i have done so far in the past day for the amp install and re wiring of the rear speakers, x overs, and tweeters by tomorrow i hope.
Ahh all that work just to keep the navi voice coming from the Center channe! Just want to throw it out there. I simply left the stock amp center channel as it is while all other channels are connected to a Bit1, navi voice works fine. Even lowers the volume automatically when navi voice engages.

The front staging sounds pretty much the same w/ or w/o the center channel, after i spent much time tuning.

Peace
Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
What an awesome thread, I'm in to see how you end up finishing that opening. Always figured double din would be the way to go, but if you have a radio lying around, why not!

I actually have a Kenwood lying around too...
and my oem amp was noisy and is bypassed and my oem headunit stopped playing cds
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Ahh all that work just to keep the navi voice coming from the Center channe! Just want to throw it out there. I simply left the stock amp center channel as it is while all other channels are connected to a Bit1, navi voice works fine. Even lowers the volume automatically when navi voice engages.

The front staging sounds pretty much the same w/ or w/o the center channel, after i spent much time tuning.

Peace
yea i could have done that. but the factory amp was goin to be in the way when i do my kicks. so i just figured that i would find another option. and also i can do alil more tunin and playin around with an aftermarket amp.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
What an awesome thread, I'm in to see how you end up finishing that opening. Always figured double din would be the way to go, but if you have a radio lying around, why not!

I actually have a Kenwood lying around too...
and my oem amp was noisy and is bypassed and my oem headunit stopped playing cds
yea my first idea was a dd. but i decided to stick with what i know and like. i really like this radio alot. it has a built in 6 level eq and 4v out puts for the rca. and its very simple and user friendly.
as for the openin ill do it after i get ll the other stuff done. i still have a good bit to do. dvd to the nav screen and a few other things that im goin to keep a secret till i get it all figured out. im still makin up my mind on alot of it.
and if your radio is not playin cds, id just go on ahead and do the aftermarket stuff. you just gota do it to see if you like it man.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-02-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
yea my first idea was a dd. but i decided to stick with what i know and like. i really like this radio alot. it has a built in 6 level eq and 4v out puts for the rca. and its very simple and user friendly.
as for the openin ill do it after i get ll the other stuff done. i still have a good bit to do. dvd to the nav screen and a few other things that im goin to keep a secret till i get it all figured out. im still makin up my mind on alot of it.
and if your radio is not playin cds, id just go on ahead and do the aftermarket stuff. you just gota do it to see if you like it man.
Thats where im at . I have this clarion unit just lsting around and not sure if i want to use it or not . Not sure how a 7" flip out would look in our cars . Plus trying to figure out how to fill in around the radio
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlitzBlackGSXR
Thats where im at . I have this clarion unit just lsting around and not sure if i want to use it or not . Not sure how a 7" flip out would look in our cars . Plus trying to figure out how to fill in around the radio
im not a fan of flip outs. but if you did it rite it mite look ok. you never know till you try rite. lol.

well i got the amp screwed down and the rear x overs. i also mounted the power distribution block and my ground spot is secure now too.
i also modified the spare tire cover to flip up just in front of the sub box. hope yall like what i used to hold the board in place that i mounted everything to.
you will need one of these to cut the whole perfect.

then i mounted my ground. this the extension thing for the threaded rod that holds the spare tire and all that stuff down.
next i drilled the whole for the spare tire hold down to go thru.

and this is it screwed in and holdin it in place.

now with the cover in.

the amp.

and the whole thing fliped up now.

im goin to go back and lay carpet over that board and let it hang over to cover up the wires and the metal.

and i also got a few lil things for the other 2 amps ill be puttin in soon.
this is basically a circuit breaker, it will replace my fuse up near the batter.

and these are my rca spliters and a short rca wires for the new amps.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-02-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you gonna make your own custom radio faceplate?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ciroqboy
Are you gonna make your own custom radio faceplate?
yes i am. i am waiting till i get everything set up the way i want it.

ok guys, i bought one amy last nite for one of the subs. and holy friggin crap. i was nor expecting the sound and loudness from just one. i will be buying the sec one next week. i also am goin to have to change my set up around for where i have my amps mounted. last nite i wanted to see how long i could play music with it almost all the way up before the amp over heated and cut out. i got right at an hour. im goin to be installing 4 fans with the amps to keep them cool. i will post pix of what i come up with.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-02-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
yea i could have done that. but the factory amp was goin to be in the way when i do my kicks. so i just figured that i would find another option. and also i can do alil more tunin and playin around with an aftermarket amp.
Ahh kick panels! that's why I don't have them.... don't get me started thinking about kick panels lol

Nice to see what you are doing. Keep it up
Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
rhdstinky-I can help make your AZ life easier.

In the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multi-quote button. This allows you to respond to multiple people in a single response.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:30 PM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
Sub'd
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
dayummm. quite an undertaking.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
rhdstinky-I can help make your AZ life easier.

In the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multi-quote button. This allows you to respond to multiple people in a single response.
thank you for that sir. i am not to good at all this to be honest. i hope that my post and everything is in the correct spots.

Originally Posted by mamamilk008
Ahh kick panels! that's why I don't have them.... don't get me started thinking about kick panels lol

Nice to see what you are doing. Keep it up
yea the kicks are goin to be later down the road. i ned to get a biger amp and up grade to a 5 channel as well when i do the kicks.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by imj0257
dayummm. quite an undertaking.
thanks man.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Advanced

well the system is goin to be on hold for a week or two. my ac went out and i had to replace the pump. i also had to order new brakes for the front and rear. i didnt get ebc stuff like i was wanting but i did get all ceramic pads and the rite rotors to go with them. so considering that i just had to buy about 600 bucks of stuff and i still have to get the ac recharged i have to wait ti get my other amp and all the carpet the cover the box and board that the amps are on. so stick with me on this and ill try and do a few lil things that dont cost anything. lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced

well i painted the box to make it look alil better till i can cover it and make the trim panels.

and this is how i held the box down from keepin it slidin around.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced

well i was able to make one trim panel and i got my other amp now too. im pretty happy with the sound that its puttin out. next will be some hush mat and then maybe a new radio.

im also thinkin about makin a plexiglass floor panel and get rid of the stock carpet thing. its just to weak and flimsy for wht im goin to do next. and id like to show off the amps alil more too.
ill try and keep things comin.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Lookin good man ! I just got my 2nd amp yesterday. The stock amp wasnt enough to push my memphis comps. I changed my sub setup too and for what I have , it pounds pretty good ! I ordered some hushmat from freemans today as well ! I'll be mounting my 2nd amp this weekend once the rest of my wire and parts get here . I want to show off the Memphis amps as well , but my box hides them behind hit . Oh well
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced

Lookin good man ! I just got my 2nd amp yesterday. The stock amp wasnt enough to push my memphis comps. I changed my sub setup too and for what I have , it pounds pretty good ! I ordered some hushmat from freemans today as well ! I'll be mounting my 2nd amp this weekend once the rest of my wire and parts get here . I want to show off the Memphis amps as well , but my box hides them behind hit . Oh well
i hear ya man. i stay in concord too. we should meet up one st nite. do you ever go out to the cookout meets?
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced

also if anyone know of a tl being parted out, i need some seals. as you can see the trunk seal is torn. i also need the pass rear door seal and driver front door seal.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Instructor

i hear ya man. i stay in concord too. we should meet up one st nite. do you ever go out to the cookout meets?
Oohh nice ! That cookout is like 10min from my house ! What color is your TL ? I have a silver TL with tint . Never been to the sat night cookout meets . But yea we can meet up on a sat night , you can check out my setup and what not .
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Oohh nice ! That cookout is like 10min from my house ! What color is your TL ? I have a silver TL with tint . Never been to the sat night cookout meets . But yea we can meet up on a sat night , you can check out my setup and what not .
ight cool. ill send you my number and you can text me. ill come out sat nite. i drive the gun metal colored tl on chrome 08 wheels.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
damn looking sexy!.. got a quick question.. im running some massive audio speakers.. i dont have them amped at the moment not planning to i think?. im curious of how to run speaker wire to my crossovers that came with the speakers. they are only hooked up to the speakers at the moment. but i want the tweeters wired to the crossover too. how should i go about thanks !
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
those crossovers are going to take additional power that you already do not have. how are you running your tweets now? full signal?? oem had a built in bass block. get an amp and enjoy the speakers!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rooster415
damn looking sexy!.. got a quick question.. im running some massive audio speakers.. i dont have them amped at the moment not planning to i think?. im curious of how to run speaker wire to my crossovers that came with the speakers. they are only hooked up to the speakers at the moment. but i want the tweeters wired to the crossover too. how should i go about thanks !

I think my Memphis comps are a little different , but i took the signal coming out of the stock amp into the crossover and then used the stock wireing already going into the door for the woofer and connected that to the crossover . The stock tweeters are ran in parallel with the door speakers and have bass blockers . So i popped thetweeter into the whole and ran a seperate wire from the tweeter to crossover . Im currently running my comps on the stock amp but i now have a seperate amp for them . Make things easy for yourself and get a amp for them youll be happy you did and not waste your time with the stock amp . It will sound decent but it will sound that much better with a new amp !
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

yeah.. i jus thave the tweeters connected to oem location. trying to figure out how to run the crossover wires to oem wiring?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Banned

yeah i had dls speakers a while back with dls amp and sub just sold the whole set up.. i guess ill probably get an amp. thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced

rooster,
they are all rite. get an amp, dont wast your time with the stock stuff, theres not really any power coming out of the stock amp and nothing at all coming out of the radio. and as for the x overs, do what blitz said, just run a new wire for the tweeter and use the oem wire for the door speakers.
if you need a drawing of how i did mine i could draw something up and post it for you, or who ever mite want it.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced

Update:
i got a new radio finally. The buzzing stoped with the new radio. I have blue tooth on the new radio and it works great. It playys thru all the speakes and it is super clear. I did some work and fot the navi to talk again too. But it sounds like crap. Lol. Im going to mess with it more and see if i can set up something else. Ill post some pix of the new radio and where i put the bluetooth mic. It was a very very easy install of the new radio. Also looking into building a new box and upgrading to a newer 4 channel amp or maybe a 5 channel and routing the navi thru the 5th output.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhdstinky,

thanks for all your posts, i've been following your thread carefully. When you have a chance, could you follow up a bit on how you got your nav talking again? I'm trying to put together something very similar to what you're going for. Thanks so much, helping this noob lots!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Ok. New update. Im building a new box and i got my hands on a new amp. I picked up a new jl hd900/5. Got a heeeeeeeeeellllllllll of a deal. Lol. Im going to selling the old box both subs and both amps. A few ppl have heard it in person at the last c&c/ azine meet. Well im on my cell but im goin to try and post a few pix of the new radio and some of the sound deading i put in.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
perfect amp for the TL
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced

well i finally got around to getting a few pictures up. here is the new radio and the the center console pieces. i should be making the trim ring for the radio soon.

and here are my new speakers for up front. this is what i went with. they are really really good sounding components, they are a little pricey but i think more than worth it.
i had to do some triming to make them fit and make a mdf ring as well. if you havent realized yet, im not scared to cut and chop stuff up to make things fit.

and here are the tweeters, i put the oem tweeter cover in my lathe again and opened up the hole to fit these in. they are 1" tweeters. im going to make some cups for them to sit in so they dont stick up out of the dash so far. ill get a few pictures of them installed when it isnt raining.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced

also i may have a jl 12w7 coming soon and a jl hd 750/1
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced

ok so i have gone a different rout. i am goin with two jl 12w6v3. these are a new sub that jl just came out with in last few months. it a beefed up v2 pretty much. the plan now is that im going to glass the spare tire spot in and build a box that will cover the hole floor. one sub will sit in each corner of the trunk. it will be ported and it will come level with the bottom of the trap door for the arm rest in the back seat. the subs will be reverse mounted so that the magnet will be showing. i am going to try and mount each kenwood amp beside the sub against the quarter panel part of the trunk. then i may mount the jl 900/5 right in the middle with a peace of plexi glass over it. i have friends that work at a well known stereo shop and my friend that is going to help me build it has about 15-20 years of experience in building custom boxes. i may have a few extras in store but im not going to say what.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great. really interested you went with the single din option, but it looks like you're doing what it takes to make an awesome sounding system. Let me know if you ever figure out a nice way to keep your voice prompts going on your nav.

Keep it up, post more pics!

Quick Reply: Complete re-do of allllllll audio in the car.