Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
had a run with a few bikes on a straight highway during the late hours (desolate highway). unsure of the exact models but more then likely 600-750cc models. the sleeper status of the TL is such a great thing but can be hard to get a race with serious competitors.

i tried to get them to bite at 60mph but no takers until they heard the bov lol. as i lined up against one of them at 70mph, i hear him downshift and he waved me forward to let me go first(im thinking he figured he would blow right by me). boost is almost instant and lag is very minimal. a run from 70-150 had me a solid 1-2 car lengths ahead the whole way. shut it down and they fly by me. checked the boost gauge and peaked at 19.1psi with a/f in mid 10s (15.5lbs on the dyno made 510whp). if we both left at the same time i may have lost...idk

was toying with a s63 on the highway while merging on the highway. he couldnt pass me from 60-120. at higher speeds im sure he would walk away.

again, no vids. impossible to video tape while driving a stick. plus, with all the tq steer i need 2 hands on that wheel all the time.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:05 PM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
^ Congrats. Sounds like you had fun
Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
One thing I've never seen answered is if the GM friction modified fluid actually has more or less FM than the Honda fluid. If it has less FM, making the synchros work better which I believe it does, I can see how the additional FM of the Honda fluid might make the difference in a high hp application.

The gears are obviously being stressed well beyond what they were designed for. A slight reduction in friction in a gear set that's living on the edge might be the difference between breaking and not breaking.

That of course would leave the door open to better fluids with a better base oil and better add pack with EP additives that will reduce friction under the worst circumstances yet still let the synchros do their job.
It would be very interesting to get a breakdown (if that's the right term) of both fluids and compare them. There is absolutely no doubt that the GM fluid has a positive effect on the TL's transmission (as well as numerous other Honda transmissions). However, as we all know, that does not make the fluid magic.

That said, it would be equally neat to compare the internals of multiple TLs' transmissions to see if the different fluids have any notable effect on synchronizer or gear wear. Now all we need are some guinea p... I mean, volunteers
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey everyone kinda new to az here so could you guys fill me in on how to do this turbo for a 07' tls im very interested!!

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

to my message above ^^ i forgot to say if you anyone could give a parts list wat to get where to get kinda thing and maybe a DIY or some place that knows how to do it it would be much appericiated!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by dfresh07tls
to my message above ^^ i forgot to say if you anyone could give a parts list wat to get where to get kinda thing and maybe a DIY or some place that knows how to do it it would be much appericiated!

Check out J&R next level performance, they make the kits and read this thread. I think this is the thread that started it all.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Check out J&R next level performance, they make the kits and read this thread. I think this is the thread that started it all.

i think your right that this is the thread that started it all thats no doubt but im not ready to read 143 pages dating back to 2009 ya know wat i mean? ha where would i look exactly to find J&R next level performence i looked on here and i cant find them or does anyone have a link i could go to?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
http://jandrnextlevelperformance.com
The following users liked this post:
dfresh07tls (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by KN_TL

thanks man
Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
18psi

as far as the evap system is concerned....it should only be subject to vacuum right?

im talking about the little hose that comes off the top of the manifold and goes to the purge valve. that hose is basically a vent tube to allow fumes back into the manifold correct?

im throwing evap codes and wondering if its boost related (been going on since i got the car back).

a small check valve on that hose should hopefully solve my problem
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Boost into the gas tank is a bad thing lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 PM
18psi

^lol yea i figured that.

i dont know how much pressure is actually released from that tube. but now im thinking that if i add a check valve to prevent the boost from getting in there, that will force the check valve closed and the fumes will not be able to go back into the manifold possibly causing more problems.

anyone know how and when the evap vents? during idle? wot? all the time?

would it be better to just vent to atmosphere and cap off the manifold inlet?

i remember paul saying on his s/c builds he routes the evap to pre throttle body. i suppose i could route the hose to the inlet off the turbo but venting to atmosphere seems much easier.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Pre throttlebody on the supercharged setup would be the same as pre turbo on the turbo setup. No vacuum, no boost. It's a pretty safe way of doing it but there will be little to no vacuum to assist pulling the vapors out.

You can do an oversized check valve or a high flow check valve if you're worried about flow and keep it plumbed the way you have it.

EVAP usually functions above idle and below full throttle. Steady state cruise is a popular time to vent. Obviously you're getting into boost long before WOT in which case it would not be able to vent but you'll probably have enough non boost time for it to get rid of any built up vapors. Even though vapors are probably not that concentrated, plumbing it before the turbo means a compressed gas/air mixture through the intake tract. Keep in mind, every time the BOV functions, you have the potential to blow off the gas/air mixture into the engine bay. I personally would have no issue with this because the odds are slim to none that it would actually happen, just throwing it out there. Once you go under boost, any EVAP flow stops so I'm sure it would be fine, just bringing it up before someone else does. I'm sure you get a very small amount of meth out of the BOV anyway.

But yeah, me personally, I would keep the stock routing with a good check valve. You will still be a step up from where you are now and if that's not good enough, you can go pre turbo where it can vent anytime it wants, even when you're under boost. The only problem with that is there will be no real vacuum to pull the vapors from the tank or the canister (if the TL uses one). Keeping it how you have it would mean there would be times when it will try to vent but can't when you're under boost but if you're not under boost you'll have actual vacuum to assist pulling the vapors out, just like stock.

Can you adjust this with your aftermarket ECU by chance? My turbo car has no check valve, but the ECU is factory programmed to only vent under vacuum conditions. If yours is programmable, this would be easy to do, referencing off of the MAP sensor.
libert69 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I made it! 143 pages. Someone give me a .

Seriously though, good read. I wish I had been around when this all started, it would have been awesome to watch in real time.

Two things though: J&R seems to have disappeared...busy with the baby or is something seriously wrong with the business?

But more importantly...how'd the GN make out against that Supra?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fraiolim07
I made it! 143 pages. Someone give me a .

Seriously though, good read. I wish I had been around when this all started, it would have been awesome to watch in real time.

Two things though: J&R seems to have disappeared...busy with the baby or is something seriously wrong with the business?

I guess it's been long enough to talk about it now. I went 2 out of 3. It's the weirdest feeling to leave him badly off the line only to see the headlights not fading back anymore and at one point they seemed to be getting closer. I'm not used to that, it's a weird feeling. That night I had boost well past 30psi, the most I had ever run, tons of timing, C16 race gas and a huge shot of methanol in an attempt to keep the engine together.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Haha IHC just doesn't lose . Some of those Supras are bad
Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on GN vs. Supra. You racing for pink slips or just for fun?

re: J&R, they're still going. Wrapping up my build now. Sounds like Rodney's going to focus more on individual turbo builds and less on scaling parts production. They're really getting the turbo build dialed in, and besides the delays due to taking on too many projects, Rodney's been good to work with. I'd imagine they've learned their lesson, and future focus on individual builds will result in less delay.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ LOL he can concentrate all he wants on the individual turbo build after the ECU GB....if some people who have been waiting since 10 months go to court...the only thing he will be building is shit in a jail cell LOL....

Rodney is a great guy...smart fella....but he needs to know what he can handle and not take up more projects than he can accomplish....
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Thanks. No pinks, I went to my highschool prom in '95 in this car so it's worth more than money to me. We did have a large amount of money on the line though. Enough to take a vacation. Going from a roll, there's no doubt I would have lost. I hole shotted him by several carlengths and halfway thorugh I was not pulling away. One thing I always put a lot of emphasis on is the entire combo. The car is setup to be very responsive, hook very well, and make power everywhere on the tach. It's very predictable under full power. If the Supra would have been more optimized the outcome might have been different. In fact, if it would have been one of those nasty automatic with high stall converters on the right tire, it probably would have taken me. He had nearly 200whp on me. My car weighs barely over 3,000lbs. If he was full weight, that's 3,500lbs but I have no idea if it was lightened or not. It's the most fun I've had in a while. I was getting ready to pull the car down anyway and this made a nice ending for the next year or two.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Thanks. No pinks, I went to my highschool prom in '95 in this car so it's worth more than money to me. We did have a large amount of money on the line though. Enough to take a vacation. Going from a roll, there's no doubt I would have lost. I hole shotted him by several carlengths and halfway thorugh I was not pulling away. One thing I always put a lot of emphasis on is the entire combo. The car is setup to be very responsive, hook very well, and make power everywhere on the tach. It's very predictable under full power. If the Supra would have been more optimized the outcome might have been different. In fact, if it would have been one of those nasty automatic with high stall converters on the right tire, it probably would have taken me. He had nearly 200whp on me. My car weighs barely over 3,000lbs. If he was full weight, that's 3,500lbs but I have no idea if it was lightened or not. It's the most fun I've had in a while. I was getting ready to pull the car down anyway and this made a nice ending for the next year or two.
So does that mean she couldn't handle the 30+psi of boost and now needs a rebuild or are you just rebuilding because you can?

Originally Posted by bTwix
Congrats on GN vs. Supra. You racing for pink slips or just for fun?

re: J&R, they're still going. Wrapping up my build now. Sounds like Rodney's going to focus more on individual turbo builds and less on scaling parts production. They're really getting the turbo build dialed in, and besides the delays due to taking on too many projects, Rodney's been good to work with. I'd imagine they've learned their lesson, and future focus on individual builds will result in less delay.
This is good news. Would love to get my hands on a turbo someday . Good to know he's planning on staying in it.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 PM
18psi

bought a couple check valves from usplastic.com

one for the evap and might as well throw one on the brake booster. Cant hurt

trying to get rid of the evap cel. I tried a new fuel cap in hopes of a simple fix but no good. Going to replace the ftp sensor on the evap canister next. If that doesnt work then Ill replace the purge valve.

I have to be cel free by next August in order to renew my registration.

Oh yea...chipped/tuned 335i loses by bus lengths from 50 to 100. Wasnt even fair lol
The following 2 users liked this post by libert69:
BostonSilverTypeS (09-07-2012), Majofo (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
vid? need moar!!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Boost into the gas tank is a bad thing lol.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 AM
Team Owner

So does that mean she couldn't handle the 30+psi of boost and now needs a rebuild or are you just rebuilding because you can?

This is good news. Would love to get my hands on a turbo someday . Good to know he's planning on staying in it.
I've run 30psi many times but the hp is going to eventually kill the stock crank, block, and rods. I'm basically in the process of a 4.5l (v6 lol) that I can take past 6,200rpms with heads that flow nearly double snd a much larger cam and turbo. The goal is the same power at 15-20psi boost. The last time I ran it, boost was 30psi in second gear and pegged somewhere above 30psi in third. The last few unofficial 1/4 runs I've made I hit the revlimiter before the end so I'm really maxed out right now. No room to grow.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Instructor

I've run 30psi many times but the hp is going to eventually kill the stock crank, block, and rods. I'm basically in the process of a 4.5l (v6 lol) that I can take past 6,200rpms with heads that flow nearly double snd a much larger cam and turbo. The goal is the same power at 15-20psi boost. The last time I ran it, boost was 30psi in second gear and pegged somewhere above 30psi in third. The last few unofficial 1/4 runs I've made I hit the revlimiter before the end so I'm really maxed out right now. No room to grow.
Damn, gonna be sweet
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by libert69
bought a couple check valves from usplastic.com

one for the evap and might as well throw one on the brake booster. Cant hurt

trying to get rid of the evap cel. I tried a new fuel cap in hopes of a simple fix but no good. Going to replace the ftp sensor on the evap canister next. If that doesnt work then Ill replace the purge valve.

I have to be cel free by next August in order to renew my registration.

Oh yea...chipped/tuned 335i loses by bus lengths from 50 to 100. Wasnt even fair lol
Damn need to get a gopro set-up in that car and film some kills!! must be amazing to just eat cars which have no idea what you got going on!!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
Damn need to get a gopro set-up in that car and film some kills!! must be amazing to just eat cars which have no idea what you got going on!!
I agree. Especially after seeing how it spins the tires at 60mph. That might surprise people just a little lol. They think they're picking on a 210whp car and get a near 600whp car instead. I hate to say it but if I had a TL like that, it would have stock rims, and be at stock height, stock exhaust tips, etc. That would be so much fun. When I've run into really cocky people, after destroying them, when they ask me what I've done to it or what it runs I tell them stock and 14s to hurt their feelings more. Imagine the Vette owner that thinks he got killed by a stock TL. Videos would be really nice.
BostonSilverTypeS (09-07-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM
18psi

I wish I could get some of these kills of video. I rarely have a passenger to record for me and trying to keep this car under control requires 2 hands at all times.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I wish I could get some of these kills of video. I rarely have a passenger to record for me and trying to keep this car under control requires 2 hands at all times.
bmeyer and yourself have inspired me to take the plunge.

Going to start collecting parts for a stroker.

Was going to either get a bike or start a different project, but it makes more sense for me to keep playing here. Have a lot into it already.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts

Was going to either get a bike or start a different project, but it makes more sense for me to keep playing here. Have a lot into it already.
!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
THIS will be fun to see
Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
18psi

very nice. you should make a build thread.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
18psi

added a check valve to the brake booster and evap hoses. cheap insurance for the long run as paul mentioned.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Superstressed

added a check valve to the brake booster and evap hoses. cheap insurance for the long run as paul mentioned.

Any pictures where we can see more of the motor and engine bay?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I (don't) whine.

I have a set of brand new check valves I never installed . Pm me.

#shameless
Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by TLove It!
Any pictures where we can see more of the motor and engine bay?

Originally Posted by ussi
I have a set of brand new check valves I never installed . Pm me.

#shameless
I dont need anymore
TLove It! (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
^such beauty and power!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Superstressed

[quote=libert69;14028889]

Beautiful...Looks like every detail was taken into consideration
Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I (don't) whine.

dude, sweet engine bay!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
ugh, and mine is still being put back together...
having to do a new set of pistons, and waiting to see about another thang.

btwix, ur build is taking time away from mine, lol

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08