Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TL|GTX
wait they made 265whp with just 1psi?
No.. someone was just making a joke.. geez.. this is how rumors get started..
Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NedShneebly
man, who was the funny bastard that responded to one of the noobs that started a "I really want to beat my friend's IS350...who makes a turbo or chip..." thread a little while back:

-[noob] "hey guys. I'm new to the forum and want to add some power and smoke my buddy in his IS 350. Is there a turbo kit or chip I can buy?"

-[veteran] "Here's what you do. Go down to the nearest Subaru or Mitsubishi dealership and trade your TL in for an STI or EVO..."

that's butchered, but those that read it remember how funny it was.
lol that was me. I laughed pretty hard while typing it.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
^^^ what i was thinking x_X how did they just finish a 400 mile drive, and then the car just not start all of a sudden? oh wells. i'm still waiting =]
The car was trailered 400 miles. The reason he traveled that far is because that is where the guy who is tuning the car is located. Give him time, He's done way more than most have tried. R&D takes time and you will ecounter a whole bunch of speed bumps.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyrice
I am still going to call this guy tomorrow and try to meet up with him .. I still applaud them for trying to do what alot of people havent done or say CANT be done. Like he said, lots of things happen during the R&D process. For example, the first time I swapped motors in my civic.. IT TOOK ME 6 MONTHS to get it completely issue free!! I had no idea what I was doing haha.. but in the end it was running awesome.. When I talked to him he did say that he doesnt like this site sometimes because of all the naysayers.. I agree with him in that regard sometimes.. At least they are doing more then anyone else has tried. Takes alot of money and time to come out with a turbo kit that is marketable!
If he is really trying to market this kind of work, he has my full attention. I'm just curious as to how he plans to tune the infamous ECU.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am still going to call this guy tomorrow and try to meet up with him .. I still applaud them for trying to do what alot of people havent done or say CANT be done. Like he said, lots of things happen during the R&D process. For example, the first time I swapped motors in my civic.. IT TOOK ME 6 MONTHS to get it completely issue free!! I had no idea what I was doing haha.. but in the end it was running awesome.. When I talked to him he did say that he doesnt like this site sometimes because of all the naysayers.. I agree with him in that regard sometimes.. At least they are doing more then anyone else has tried. Takes alot of money and time to come out with a turbo kit that is marketable!
I really respect and appreciate your input. People in this forum should be more like you and some others.
When I started my set up, I was hoping to Max out my expenses around 3,5k or 4k. At this time, I'm at $5600 and counting. And being at nit freak, I won't take anything but a fully operational car. In this process, I pissed my wife off more than once, had to postpone some bills payment, got call an asshole by someone in this forum, but once the product is finish, everyone will be calling me or us the Man and expect us to forget everything we went through.
Some people like to make comment but will never initiate anything while others talk the talk and walk the walk. This should be a team work cause we all could and will benefit from a complete success. When I had my Acura Legend and belong to the legend forum, I had to deal with a lot of negative thinker. They never want to be the first to take a risk. But went parts were available, they were the first to get them. After a while, you get tired of it, and keep things to ourself or to a very limited circle.
By the way " Yes We Can". It's not easy, but "We Can". Now Go Figure.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by banelba
I really respect and appreciate your input. People in this forum should be more like you and some others.
When I started my set up, I was hoping to Max out my expenses around 3,5k or 4k. At this time, I'm at $5600 and counting. And being at nit freak, I won't take anything but a fully operational car. In this process, I pissed my wife off more than once, had to postpone some bills payment, got call an asshole by someone in this forum, but once the product is finish, everyone will be calling me or us the Man and expect us to forget everything we went through.
Some people like to make comment but will never initiate anything while others talk the talk and walk the walk. This should be a team work cause we all could and will benefit from a complete success. When I had my Acura Legend and belong to the legend forum, I had to deal with a lot of negative thinker. They never want to be the first to take a risk. But went parts were available, they were the first to get them. After a while, you get tired of it, and keep things to ourself or to a very limited circle.
No more OBAMA soup for you! No I agree.. I appreciate the lengths that you have taken to get this in the works. You've come closer to completing the unthinkable than anyone has ever before. But on the flip side, sometimes its those negative comments by those people that keep you on your toes.. think about it. Some are totally out of line and I agree.

But keep it going and I think I speak for all when I say... we all want to see you succeed.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by banelba
No problem man.. I was just getting sick of the pissing and moaning going on here, when there are people in this thread that are giving good input as far as how to maybe getting this to work.. and again I appauld you for being one of the pioneers in getting a turbo setup working for the TL.. I know the things you go through getting something like this working.. went through with it, with my civic.. my gf and I had sooo many meltdowns along the way haha.. but keep doing what you are doing and hopefully you can get it running perfect! Just post the issues you are having and maybe someone on this forum will help instead of crying about why it is taking so long.

pm me if you ever need anything man!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
No problem man.. I was just getting sick of the pissing and moaning going on here, when there are people in this thread that are giving good input as far as how to maybe getting this to work.. and again I appauld you for being one of the pioneers in getting a turbo setup working for the TL.. I know the things you go through getting something like this working.. went through with it, with my civic.. my gf and I had sooo many meltdowns along the way haha.. but keep doing what you are doing and hopefully you can get it running perfect! Just post the issues you are having and maybe someone on this forum will help instead of crying about why it is taking so long.

pm me if you ever need anything man!
Thats what I think. There really wouldnt be as many negative comments if you just answered some of the peoples simple questions. They are just trying to help you out by asking what type of emanagement your trying to use and stuff like that. They've tried to tune our cars and know that theres only certain parameters that are tunable with certain devices, but you wanna be hard headed and not tell us because you "know everything" and thats why some people have negative comments. Believe it or not, there really are quite of few here that are trying to help you, and they happen to be some of the most knowledgable on here too, like "I hate Cars", "NVA-AV6", "Blackura_NY", and "Stillhere153" because theyve been through alot of this before and know alot about this.

So basically what Im saying is if you cooperated, then we would too.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Come on guys... If a V8 Lexus LS430 with more advanced electronics and modules can get turbo charged... and tuned with an AEM FIC-8... So can we...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT88A7pRxCM

BTW... That Car is SICK!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Come on guys... If a V8 Lexus LS430 with more advanced electronics and modules can get turbo charged... and tuned with an AEM FIC-8... So can we...

BTW... That Car is SICK!!!
toyota ECM's are well known, are turbo'd all the time, and accept piggybacks fairly easily (like MAPECU2, etc). the Acura's are just not turbo friendly and their ECM is hardly known.

before asking "where are all the TL turbo guys" you have to look at what's already been done. the Comptech SC is there but it is limited and has nothing to aid the oem ECM.

if you like the hassle and challenge then with time and $$$ anything is possible. i think if i were taking on this project i would 1st get a TL motor w/ ECM to play around with in the shop, etc, learn what you can and cannot do, rebuild as needed, fab a turbo in, run 1-5psi with nothing extra, then start mucking around with piggybacks and aux fuel injectors and start upping the psi. then after its all ready, figure out a way to stuff it all back into the TL engine bay.

as a prototype i would perhaps build it using a standalone ECM using a Megasquirt.

and dont forget, the motor is just 1pc of the puzzle, you still have drivetrain to worry about.

Last edited by Turbo_Kid; 05-08-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys,
As a lot of you already know. We helped develop this turbo kit with J & R. We built the manifold, intercooler piping, and down pipe. The car starts up and runs fine, the only problem he has run into so far is that the boomslang conversion harness is not wired up correctly. Even if the car was still naturally aspirated the car still wouldn't start with the boomslang harness, because they didn't wire it correctly.

If any of you are still confused on why he didn't realize the car wouldn't start until he reached there is because once you install big injectors in a car, you need the get the computer programmed to be able to start and idle with a big injector. Otherwise the car will be to rich and will keep shutting off. Then you will foul out the spark plugs, etc.

Once he gets the harness back, he should be able to get the car tuned.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PowerRev
hey guys,
As a lot of you already know. We helped develop this turbo kit with J & R. We built the manifold, intercooler piping, and down pipe. The car starts up and runs fine, the only problem he has run into so far is that the boomslang conversion harness is not wired up correctly. Even if the car was still naturally aspirated the car still wouldn't start with the boomslang harness, because they didn't wire it correctly.

If any of you are still confused on why he didn't realize the car wouldn't start until he reached there is because once you install big injectors in a car, you need the get the computer programmed to be able to start and idle with a big injector. Otherwise the car will be to rich and will keep shutting off. Then you will foul out the spark plugs, etc.

thats why you leave the oem injectors alone and install piggyback with aux injector(s) which are only used in boost.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Racer

hey guys,

Cool, thanks for the update. I think you all are doing an outstanding job especially sharing your ups and downs. Its important for us all to learn from our mistakes and I you all the best of luck on getting that setup up and running. I love the stealthy intercooler setup, but will it be seeing enough air with the way the bumper is only slitted on the corners?

One thing I'm confused about is that, I thought he said he had 400 miles on the car? Or was that on the trailer the entire time?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
hey guys,

Why can't everyone be as informative when stuff goes wrong? Now people like me won't jump to conclusions like maybe they only got 265hp out of it, or the engine blew on the way to the dyno, or they couldn't get it tuned.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I think sidemounts should work for our OEM bumpers.. the FMIC looks too big.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Excited. Hope all goes well
Old 05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
BANNED

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
hey guys,

I am waiting on the harness to arrive here for re-working....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Racer

this thread is promising.. I wish you guys the best.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by sunny201
Why can't everyone be as informative when stuff goes wrong? Now people like me won't jump to conclusions like maybe they only got 265hp out of it, or the engine blew on the way to the dyno, or they couldn't get it tuned.
chill out Sunny, we are all on edge, this would be awesome and groundbreaking if successful.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Pro

wow, i cant wait to see the Turbo out and working 100%, i love the sound of the blow off valve.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo_Kid
thats why you leave the oem injectors alone and install piggyback with aux injector(s) which are only used in boost.
Not really. The best way is with larger injectors and pull the pulsewidth back for idle and off boost conditions. Auxiliary injectors are 1) A band-aid 2) Used in the old days when a large enough injector could not be found. There's just no reason to go that route anymore.

My car came stock with 28lb/hr injectors, I'm running 60lb/hr with stock like idle and drivability. I would run a large shot of meth (which I do) before going the aux injector route.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
I am waiting on the harness to arrive here for re-working....
aem fic harness i take it? are you going to rework his too paul?

ive been swamped with work lately, but im going to be sending mine over to you too by the end of next week.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
wait so p2r did the work... then you know this shits legit
Old 05-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Not really. The best way is with larger injectors and pull the pulsewidth back for idle and off boost conditions. Auxiliary injectors are 1) A band-aid 2) Used in the old days when a large enough injector could not be found. There's just no reason to go that route anymore.

My car came stock with 28lb/hr injectors, I'm running 60lb/hr with stock like idle and drivability. I would run a large shot of meth (which I do) before going the aux injector route.
is it that easy to reflash the TL's ECM? i thought someone had posted that the Acura ECM was kinda a black hole in terms of being able to reflash it?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:10 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
is it that easy to reflash the TL's ECM? i thought someone had posted that the Acura ECM was kinda a black hole in terms of being able to reflash it?
i think he's referring to a capable piggyback to do the job, not a reflash.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Old 05-09-2009, 12:25 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
aem fic harness i take it? are you going to rework his too paul?

ive been swamped with work lately, but im going to be sending mine over to you too by the end of next week.
One thing you guys might want to look at for turbo apps is instead of the FIC-6, look at a FIC-8. The FIC-8 adds two more injector drivers(which at least on the forums some have used for water/meth injection), IAT monitoring, and a intergrated 40PSI boost controller.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Thanks...
1. Is that the stock radiator ?
2. Does the intercooler cause a noticible increase in engine temp seeing its blocking 75% of the radiator.
3. Does the intercooler pipes get hot ? And if so, will they get hot enough to melt the bumper cover?
4. How is the traction control handling the added HP at hard takeoff ?
Sooo.... I finally got a chance to talk to rodney (the guy who's car is turboe'd)! I was supposed to meet him up yesterday, but I was having something installed on my car and ran out of time.. My car was not finished til 5pm.. and I had a concert to go to that started at 7 (NIN ROCKS LIVE!!).. so, I decided to call him to let him know! Rodney actually went to the shop looking for me.. and he didnt have my number to call me back.. dogh!! I just wanted to say that this guy is not trying to hide anything and is working with other forum members in trying to get this turbo kit running perfectly. Specifically in fixing the Harness. I think NVAAVC6 is the one helping him (see his post above^^) This is for all those people who say that he is not asking for help from other Acuarazine members lol. We both did not have time to meet today, but will try to meet early tomorrow morning. Can't wait. I will be taking video for the non believers. He drives this car everyday.

Ok since AcuraVic is the only one that posted questions for me I was able to ask Rodney these specific questions)

1. Is that the stock radiator ?
No, Rodney said that they are working to try and get some fans that will be included in the kit. They will be slim fans because of clearance issues. I asked him if they were FAL fans, but he said no.. they will be something better.. But, I guess he didn't want to say who exactly since he is still trying to get word back from them.
2. Does the intercooler cause a noticible increase in engine temp seeing its blocking 75% of the radiator.
He said no to this.
3. Does the intercooler pipes get hot ? And if so, will they get hot enough to melt the bumper cover?
He also, said no to this.
4. How is the traction control handling the added HP at hard takeoff ?
Since the car is only running on 1 psi until it gets tuned he does not know the answer to this question, since there is no real difference yet. He is running this car real easy since this is his only car.

Here are some other questions I asked him:
- What kind of exhaust are you running?
He is running a custom 3" magnaflow exhaust.
- How is the air flow to the intercooler with the bumper design?
He says that the bumper is designed to force air upward and through the area where the radio and the intercooler is. The shape of the plastic underpieces are what direct the air he said. He is also concerned about those with fog lights. He said that he may try and get different piping made for those people. SWEEET! since I have fogs!!
- What size turbo are you using now?
The turbo on the car now is 61 mm. He said that the kit will hopefully be upgradeable also. He was not sure if this specific turbo will be the one in the kit since he wanted to get the most efficient turbo with the kit. This will not be known until tuning is completed he said.
- Are you using an Air filter?
He said No. But he is planning to get either a 4 inch filter or a mesh.

Here are some other things he told me that I thought you guys might like to know.
- He is trying to use the AEM FC-1 (i believe that is what it is called)
- He just needs to get the harness in order to be able to tune with the AEM. He already sent the harness out to NVAAVC6. He said he gave him the tracking number already.
- He has driven the car over 400 miles the way it is now.
- P2R created the piping.
- He has also been working with Competition clutch to be able to get a clutch out there for us Manual TL drivers. He has over 1600 miles on this clutch right now. He also said that they will be creating a fly wheel. This clutch will be available through his company once R&D will be done. And then should be available from Competition within a year after the release through his company. WOOHOO!! This may be pricey though he said.
- He wanted a turbo mounted in the engine bay instead of below the car because he knew thats what more people would want and that he was not sure how to work with the turbo under the car. (because of issues with water and other things (i am assuming clearance issues as well))
- He also tried to get Vortech to create a supercharger for the TL, but they wanted to much money to R&D it. Money he thought would be better spent on building a custom turbo kit. I AGREE!

He sold his other car (a civic) to help pay for this.. He said he was well over 12k investing on this. I think that he is not only doing this for himself, but is happy to try and give us other TL owners hope of boosting our cars via a turbo.

Can't wait to meet him up tomorrow! I will be posting pics and a video up hopefully by tomorrow night! Let me know if you guys have any other questions or if there is anything specifc you want me to take a pic of!

to this guy!

RJ

Last edited by bzyrice; 05-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel like a child on Christmas Eve
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

Are you using an Air filter? He said No.

He has driven the car over 400 miles the way it is now.

He said he was well over 12k investing on this.
Drove it 400 miles with no air filter ??? Can't afford an air filter ? Understands the concept of turbos, but does not understand how quickly an engine is damaged by no air filter ???

Amazing
Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 PM
practicing nihilist

^Yeah, I was hoping that was a typo and he meant to say "Intake".
Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
its not the same as running a filter on a tube, its on the turbine, i am pretty sure he prob put a sock on there, besides its facing the opposite direction, no harm no fowl
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stillhere153
its not the same as running a filter on a tube, its on the turbine, i am pretty sure he prob put a sock on there, besides its facing the opposite direction, no harm no fowl
All it takes is running through some dust with no filter regardless of how the turbo is facing and you just sandblasted the compressor wheel and put a bunch of crap through the engine. The air filter is the most important filter on the car.

I had problems with my compressor wheel getting dull from running a K&N filter. Ended up going with the largest Amsoil filter I could find.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:25 AM
practicing nihilist

It's pretty similar to aircraft jet turbine intakes and the compressor blades definitely erode from dust and dirt. Helicopter engines in the desert don't last very long.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Drove it 400 miles with no air filter ??? Can't afford an air filter ? Understands the concept of turbos, but does not understand how quickly an engine is damaged by no air filter ???

Amazing
maybe a test to see what happens to compressor blades spinning in excess of 100k rpm's .....? the wheel tips must get hot just from the velocity friction with air!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
It's pretty similar to aircraft jet turbine intakes and the compressor blades definitely erode from dust and dirt. Helicopter engines in the desert don't last very long.
I know about that first hand from the first Gulf War, we had all kinds of fun keeping Appachies in the air......
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

maybe a test to see what happens to compressor blades spinning in excess of 100k rpm's .....? the wheel tips must get hot just from the velocity friction with air!
That's completely true. Some of the heat of the charge air is from the compression of the air, the rest is from the friction of the blades cutting through the air.

That's the main reason a larger turbo will show lower discharge temps, because the tip speed is reduced. It's amazing if you think about it how that wheel works. Air goes in the inducer (the part you can see with the filter off) and gets flung off the exducer centrifugally to make boost.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Got your mom in

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i posted a thread with pics of a 3rd gen turbo tl in the 3g photo gallery. its being built by p2r. i dont really have all the answers a tl owner would ask but i'll find out on wednesday.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Thank you

J&R wants to thank everyone for their input, interest , concerns and patience, Special thanks to Richie , Special thanks to Paul . (av6).. Thanks for helping out when we needed you the most . Our boomslang harness has been shipped to Paul to get rewired correctly, scheduled to reach him Tuesday.

Bzyrice tried to meet up with me over the weekend to get a video update,but after last minute changes he ended going to another location than what we agreed on, not his fault u know how those family lunches go ...
But I'll try to answer most if not all the questions you guys might have about kit... And yes our kit will go into production as soon as all R&d and tuning is completed , and rest asure it will be 100% tested and functional

Last edited by pass427; 05-11-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
very nice. do you guys plan on creating things for the 2nd gen tl? we are in dire need of a better aftermarket and primarily equal length headers

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit for Acura TL '04-'08