RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^yeah but you'll be even more hyped to have it installed.

go buy a breaker bar, and before you go...spray those bolts with PB blaster real good, then come back and do some pushups and then break those bolts loose.

you can do it.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^yeah but you'll be even more hyped to have it installed.

go buy a breaker bar, and before you go...spray those bolts with PB blaster real good, then come back and do some pushups and then break those bolts loose.

you can do it.
Yea, that's the plan. A bigger bar and a ton of pb blaster. my parents are coming to visit me at college in a half hour to go out for lunch. I'm gonna make them drive me to autozone while my car is on stands lol
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I plan on doing it later today or tomorrow. Since I'm in California, I hope not to have any issues with the bolts since we don't have all that salt and crap in the snowy states.

I was worried about the car being on jack stands during this operation but looks like everyone else is using the same technique. My first thought was to just ride one side up on a curb and park it. lol

Cheers to a new J-pipe for all us after this weekend!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Racer

The breaker bar helped with the precat bolts and I think I can do them now... but the 3rd cat is still a bitch because there isn't enough space to get a good grip without the breaker bar hitting the floor/car. im such a noob at working on exhaust
Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Doin' The Damn Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay so perhaps a dumb question...

but I got my pipe this past thursday and installed it the same day, and have since driven around 300 miles with it on, and I've noticed that whenever I give it alot of gas, as it revs through the rpms I can hear a whisping sound coming from the pipe, as if air is escaping from one of the three spots where it screws on. It certainly doesn't sound "normal", but I also didn't know exactly what sound to expect once I put it on, down to the little nuances...

I'm thinking I didn't tighten some of the bolts enough so the connection isn't airtight? or perhaps I'm just nuts and it's supposed to do that..
Old 04-24-2011, 01:47 AM
My TL loves summer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sound normal. I didn't hear anything like that with mine. Put something up to the connections, like a small piece of paper while it's running to see which one is leaking, if that's the case. Also double check to see if any of the nuts are loose.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleak
The breaker bar helped with the precat bolts and I think I can do them now... but the 3rd cat is still a bitch because there isn't enough space to get a good grip without the breaker bar hitting the floor/car. im such a noob at working on exhaust
I used the strongest muscle of my body, my leg.
Picture, laying underneath the car. my foot on the breaker bar. kinda step into to "breaking" the bolt.

Originally Posted by SSM3GTL
okay so perhaps a dumb question...

but I got my pipe this past thursday and installed it the same day, and have since driven around 300 miles with it on, and I've noticed that whenever I give it alot of gas, as it revs through the rpms I can hear a whisping sound coming from the pipe, as if air is escaping from one of the three spots where it screws on. It certainly doesn't sound "normal", but I also didn't know exactly what sound to expect once I put it on, down to the little nuances...

I'm thinking I didn't tighten some of the bolts enough so the connection isn't airtight? or perhaps I'm just nuts and it's supposed to do that..
I had a whistling sound as well. I went back underneath and tightened all the bolts.
its a good idea to re-visit exhaust bolts as the heat sometimes loosens them.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
I used the strongest muscle of my body, my leg.
Picture, laying underneath the car. my foot on the breaker bar. kinda step into to "breaking" the bolt.

I had a whistling sound as well. I went back underneath and tightened all the bolts.
its a good idea to re-visit exhaust bolts as the heat sometimes loosens them.
yea me and my friend tried it some more today. got 2 of the 3rd cat bolts off but the 3rd one was a bitch because there's no space next to that heat shield. Then we started doing some of the precat nuts and my friend rounded one of them... so I'll probably need help haha
Old 04-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Pro

No Glory - Broke a 14mm Craftsman socket and couldn't get a new one in time so I had to leave the car on jack stands. Sprayed all the bolts with that PB blaster stuff and will give them another shot before attempting to get them off tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Yeah, I think for you Northerners, having a good set of drill bits and cutting wheels would be good preparation. Since you get new hardware anyway you can just cut off any stubborn ones.

I am lucky, makita impact driver deep socket 14 and about 5 minutes and I had the whole thing undone.

Oh and I agree...go back after a few weeks and retighten, some of the bolts I was able to go a couple more revolutions so it definitely loosens up after initial break in.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Does anyone know if I can just get this j-pipe and put it on a base 04 exhaust without any other mods what i can get more power; sound oh what ?sorry it is my first car and i don;t know much about cars thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm stock everything except this jpipe.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace

I'm stock everything except this jpipe.
and you feel any different. did u get power ; sound oh what?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM

^power. 3rd gear pulls are amazing.

Because I have stock exhaust, it did not make my car louder but deeper.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Pro

thanks man
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 PM

Do this with a stage III...you'll thank me later
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Pro

Got the J-Pipe installed and took it for a short drive. Immediately after the first acceleration after rolling out of the neighborhood, I was thinking to myself "no, it's not possible, it can't be" and then "shit, it is". I have to say I'm surprised as to how noticeable the difference is. Type-S owners must be getting over 15whp with this.

Everyone is right about this being the best bang for the buck (CA legal) mod. I see my wallet getting lighter in the near future.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Nice!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraElement
Got the J-Pipe installed and took it for a short drive. Immediately after the first acceleration after rolling out of the neighborhood, I was thinking to myself "no, it's not possible, it can't be" and then "shit, it is". I have to say I'm surprised as to how noticeable the difference is. Type-S owners must be getting over 15whp with this.

Everyone is right about this being the best bang for the buck (CA legal) mod. I see my wallet getting lighter in the near future.

its not TRULY legal (since you take off the 3rd cat. touching any cats is not allowed) BUT no one will notice since you have precats still
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Pro

You're right bro...I forgot about the visual, it will pass the emissions test!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Racer

You're right bro...I forgot about the visual, it will pass the emissions test!
I'm 95% sure it'll pass visual too UNLESS you go to a shop specializing in honda/acuras. Not everyone knows our car even has 3 cats. If they can see the precats they will probably just assume that's all our car has.

I live in nor cal too so I guess we'll both find out lol.

I'm actually gonna go to san jose probably to get my exhaust stuff on. I had to give up on the precat nuts because my friend rounded one. I have no idea how to fix that myself haha. I've had Winston in san jose work on my car before so hopefully he can help me out with this
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Cruisin'

Hello everyone! I just bought my 08 type s about a week ago and I absolutely love my first Acura. It is an absolute "panty dropper." I'm really interested if anyone has had this jpipe dyno'd on a type s and what the gains are. Ordered my aem cai yesterday and I think this may be my second mod purchase! What gains would I see with this duo? Or should I be looking at other performance mods? I also have been looking at megan catbacks for the car. Good or bad catback system?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

Just go back and read the 1st post of this thread That will explain the gains with a dyno chart on a '05 base TL
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM

^well said CJ
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

I saw that, but does anyone know how much more hp on average I can expect with an 08 type s compared to a 05 base tl? Basically im just looking for someone to tell me how awesome it is so I have a good excuse to buy.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

its awesome, buy it.

plus there are tons of reviews in this thread ANNNNND throughout the forum.
search for RV6 V3 Jpipe
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM
BANNED

it's awesome, now go buy it.

15 whp
12 wtq
Old 04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

Is there ever any of these on the black market? I'm guessing not by how much people seem to love the pipe
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM

it'll pop up in the BM once in awhile, but is quickly scooped up
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Pro

I'm 95% sure it'll pass visual too UNLESS you go to a shop specializing in honda/acuras. Not everyone knows our car even has 3 cats. If they can see the precats they will probably just assume that's all our car has.

I live in nor cal too so I guess we'll both find out lol.

I'm actually gonna go to san jose probably to get my exhaust stuff on. I had to give up on the precat nuts because my friend rounded one. I have no idea how to fix that myself haha. I've had Winston in san jose work on my car before so hopefully he can help me out with this
That's good to know about the visual, I was sorta subconsciously sweating that.

On the front pre-cat nuts, I did an overnight soak of PB blaster, and then another 30 min soak right before attempting to take them off. I was using an extended socket with a 1' long pipe for the extension and all the nuts came off fairly quick with a good amount of force.

On the front most pre-cat nuts, 2 of the nuts were rusted in and the entire bolt came off. I just ended up re-using those two.

I'd be taking to a shop also if I had rounded them...not sure what to do at that point. Let me guess, you guys used a 12 point socket?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Racer

That's good to know about the visual, I was sorta subconsciously sweating that.

On the front pre-cat nuts, I did an overnight soak of PB blaster, and then another 30 min soak right before attempting to take them off. I was using an extended socket with a 1' long pipe for the extension and all the nuts came off fairly quick with a good amount of force.

On the front most pre-cat nuts, 2 of the nuts were rusted in and the entire bolt came off. I just ended up re-using those two.

I'd be taking to a shop also if I had rounded them...not sure what to do at that point. Let me guess, you guys used a 12 point socket?
Yea I used PB blaster, let it soak for an hour, tried some. No good, bought a longer breaker bar, sprayed more pb blaster, tried more got a few off. The rest were on there very tight so I sprayed some more pb blaster and let it soak overnight.

The next day my friend comes over to help and we get a couple more off and then he rounds one of the nuts (its not completely rounded but its definitely harder to get a grip on).

The weird part is we were using a 6 point socket and I told him "we can't use that 12 point one because it'll round the nut easier." 10 minutes later its rounded by the 6 point. sigh.

oh well, I'm not sweating it too much.

I just bought greddy exhaust from someone on here so I might as well wait until it arrives and install both at the same time. It should be a noticeable performance increase going from stock on both.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know what all of your problems are...no leverage...

i just installed v3 pcd and jpipe in under 2 hours including setup on a lift. the v3 pcd's make installing the jpipe a breeze because the bolts are pressed into the pcd.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by greco9885
i know what all of your problems are...no leverage...

i just installed v3 pcd and jpipe in under 2 hours including setup on a lift. the v3 pcd's make installing the jpipe a breeze because the bolts are pressed into the pcd.
Yea, me and my friend were both talking about how much easier it'd be if we had a lift instead of laying underneath a car kicking a breaker bar.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, me and my friend were both talking about how much easier it'd be if we had a lift instead of laying underneath a car kicking a breaker bar.
yeah thats a sure way to snap the bolt lol.

look around for some small independent shops. my buddy is thinking about renting out his lifts and tools for people since he has 2 lifts and adding another one. but that is pending on what his insurance company says.

obviously the person renting will have to sign waivers for damage to their vehicle and how they will be held liable for damage to shop equipment such as the car falling off the lift and damaging the lift
Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greco9885
yeah thats a sure way to snap the bolt lol.

look around for some small independent shops. my buddy is thinking about renting out his lifts and tools for people since he has 2 lifts and adding another one. but that is pending on what his insurance company says.

obviously the person renting will have to sign waivers for damage to their vehicle and how they will be held liable for damage to shop equipment such as the car falling off the lift and damaging the lift
Where is your friend's shop, I would have done that instead of lying on my back in my garage...getting too old for this sh...

As for the Jpipe, great quality Richie , love the piece, the only thing I had to do, because I am a perfectionist and like to squeeze every bit of HP out of everything, was port match the flanges of the pipe to the exhaust gaskets and there really wasn't much to take off.

The pipe is on now and I didn't notice any change in the sound of the exhaust the first day. A little bit the next morning nothing dramatic just a lower grumble, so if anyone is worried about the exhaust being loud, dont worry.
Going to take out the mid muffler next and try the Dynomax resonator
Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Pro

The weird part is we were using a 6 point socket and I told him "we can't use that 12 point one because it'll round the nut easier." 10 minutes later its rounded by the 6 point. sigh.

oh well, I'm not sweating it too much.

I just bought greddy exhaust from someone on here so I might as well wait until it arrives and install both at the same time. It should be a noticeable performance increase going from stock on both.
Must have been a battle rounding the nuts with a 6 point...lol

Going Greddy huh...that's an aggressive sounding exhaust. I wouldn't mind looking at exhaust options but would like to find something that doesn't get loud until the higher RPM range. They say the Comptech is the quietest of the group but that still might be too loud for me.

Originally Posted by CJTurbo
The pipe is on now and I didn't notice any change in the sound of the exhaust the first day. A little bit the next morning nothing dramatic just a lower grumble, so if anyone is worried about the exhaust being loud, dont worry.
Going to take out the mid muffler next and try the Dynomax resonator
I like the subtle difference in sound after it settles, it's just right.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Racer

Must have been a battle rounding the nuts with a 6 point...lol

Going Greddy huh...that's an aggressive sounding exhaust. I wouldn't mind looking at exhaust options but would like to find something that doesn't get loud until the higher RPM range. They say the Comptech is the quietest of the group but that still might be too loud for me.

I like the subtle difference in sound after it settles, it's just right.
Yea its not completely rounded but its harder to get a grip on than before... and so we just gave up.

and yeah I expect my exhaust to be loud once its on. I have no problems with that

I wouldn't go with comptech personally because I like louder exhaust but a lot of people like it. For me it was either greddy or ATLP quads and I'd have to do some bumper mods to fit the quads. Also theyre hard to find and I found greddy used for a decent price.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 AM

Unless you're hellbent on having different exhaust tips...the stage III exhaust and jpipe will give you the sound you're looking for, on a budget too !
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Hey Ritchie, its Brandon I talked to you yesterday. I just ordered mine off of heeltoe. For some reason google checkout continued to give me error messages through your website. (Something you may want to look into) Anyways I am pumped and look forward to getting this sucker on my whip!

For those of you having problems getting the bolts off... How old is your car and how many miles? Would this be a significant factor on how easy the old jpipe would come off? I'm hoping I wont run into this problem as my car is an 08 tl-s with less than 30K miles on it.

I am going to try and make an instructional video while putting this on my type s as well as my aem cai. I will try to do these installs seperately so I can see the difference each mod will make. Also I will take you into the drivers seat of the "panty dropper" when all this gets installed and give you my opinion on both mods. Hopefully the vid will give Ritchie and RV6 a great DIY guide for the jpipe.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:36 AM
BANNED

^the condition of your bolts can depend on a number of things. rust, corrosion, salt deposits, negligance can all work against you. i had a 07 tl-s with 35k on it and i had to use a torch to remove the bolts from the front/rear cats. everyone has a different scenario tho, some people have no problems at all.

make sure you spray your bolts with PB blaster or some other lubricant every other day leading up to install. it "should" help some.

good luck to you.

Quick Reply: RV6 V3 Long Tube J-Pipe Release '04-'08 TL all trims **UPDATE PAGE 4**