Rooster415's Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Dude, this is a MUST. And I am Not joking around. I don't know what planet that everyone else lives on, but on the planet that I live on, the pulley was a milestone (actually my first milestone) to creating what I got today.

No thinking about it. No fear mongering. No looking back. Just do it. The pulley is an integral component to the TL Diet.

I have the pulley and its nice. But I will take it off after I get my LWFW swap in.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:37 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Rooster: That is some shit dude. Glad to see you take it in stride and rock on!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm only at 50K.....
I dont want to tear into unless I do the timing belt as well.

and Good luck rooster!
Hope everything turns out well!
i hope so cars already ready to be primered just need the door now.

Originally Posted by twigglius
Dude, that fucking sucks balls. We all know that haters gona hate.

^ i like

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Dude, this is a MUST. And I am Not joking around. I don't know what planet that everyone else lives on, but on the planet that I live on, the pulley was a milestone (actually my first milestone) to creating what I got today.

No thinking about it. No fear mongering. No looking back. Just do it. The pulley is an integral component to the TL Diet.

its done ordered the crank pulley and the outlaw kit

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
Yeah i can pretty much help you install all that stuff. No need to for air tools. Just need muscle. haha
cool! i dont have a breaker bar though

Originally Posted by r3devi7
Rooster: That is some shit dude. Glad to see you take it in stride and rock on!
damn right ! haha
Old 05-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

total from mrheeltoe 399.74
outlaw engineering kit
under drive pulley with new belt.
fml if my girl finds out lols.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

just buy her some flowers and take her out to dinner. hahah
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

no! im broke now due to this haha. but paycheck coming on tuesday. and need to save money to pay you how much am i goign to owe you ?
Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

how much would i be considering on gaining from
outlaw engineering kit
ur under drive pulley
pnp manifold
pnp throttle body spacer
pnp runners?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

I dont want to tear into it..
To install the pulley, the engine is not "torn into" like doing a timing belt.

Actually, the pulley is one of the most easy to install for a professional mechanic (having the proper tools to remove the pulley bolt).
Old 05-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Safety Car

I use a breaker, pull the fuel pump fuse, blip the engine pop. Just like butter
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,349 Likes on 4,913 Posts
Starter blip method FTW.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Banned

haha and no one answers me
Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I use a breaker, pull the fuel pump fuse, blip the engine pop. Just like butter
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Starter blip method FTW.
While this is a neat trick....it can actually make matters much MUCH worse for you. I think I mentioned this before a while back.

I used this method a few years ago, and jumped about 4 teeth on the timing belt (front head cam gear) .... I still didn't get it after a few tries, and finally decided to leave it alone and get the tool.

But of course, i decided to stop a little too late... When i tried to start the car, it wouldn't start...after 2 hrs of trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, it popped in my head to check the timing....sure enough, it had jumped by 4 teeth.

Luckily, I had my timing belt covers off, for other reasons, So it wasn't too hard for me to fix this at 10 pm with a flash light on a cold late november evening lol.

Just something to keep in mind.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

I'm only at 50K.....
I dont want to tear into unless I do the timing belt as well.

and Good luck rooster!
Hope everything turns out well!
buy the pulley with me
Old 05-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Opel
While this is a neat trick....it can actually make matters much MUCH worse for you. I think I mentioned this before a while back.

I used this method a few years ago, and jumped about 4 teeth on the timing belt (front head cam gear) .... I still didn't get it after a few tries, and finally decided to leave it alone and get the tool.

But of course, i decided to stop a little too late... When i tried to start the car, it wouldn't start...after 2 hrs of trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, it popped in my head to check the timing....sure enough, it had jumped by 4 teeth.

Luckily, I had my timing belt covers off, for other reasons, So it wasn't too hard for me to fix this at 10 pm with a flash light on a cold late november evening lol.

yeah i dont plan on putting the pulley in myself. dont know how to put timing belt back on and stuff. goign to either bring it to a mechanic or let aznboi do it. i dont wanna fuk anything up. planning to hit up kragen or o reilly or whaetver they call it now and get the tool. and make my life easier if azn boi wants to help me put it in.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Thats very odd that it would skip teeth like that. It sounds to me like there was another issue in that instance, because if you think about it, youre not turning the engine in any other way then if it were running. Was the belt worn? Was the tensioner weak? I guess what Im asking is how did blipping the starter cause it to jump teeth on the front cam gear? The starter is on the flywheel, which is on the crank, which is where the breaker bar is. If the bolt was so tight the starter couldnt break it loose, the crank and therefore both cams would not spin.

I tried the tool they sell and that failed miserably. I tried my air tools too, and that didnt work either.

Originally Posted by rooster415
yeah i dont plan on putting the pulley in myself. dont know how to put timing belt back on and stuff. goign to either bring it to a mechanic or let aznboi do it. i dont wanna fuk anything up. planning to hit up kragen or o reilly or whaetver they call it now and get the tool. and make my life easier if azn boi wants to help me put it in.
Just to clear this up, youre not touching the timing belt at all.

The crank pulley only touches the accessory belt (a/c, power steering and alternator).

Last edited by civicdrivr; 05-12-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Thats very odd that it would skip teeth like that. It sounds to me like there was another issue in that instance, because if you think about it, youre not turning the engine in any other way then if it were running. Was the belt worn? Was the tensioner weak? I guess what Im asking is how did blipping the starter cause it to jump teeth on the front cam gear? The starter is on the flywheel, which is on the crank, which is where the breaker bar is. If the bolt was so tight the starter couldnt break it loose, the crank and therefore both cams would not spin.

I tried the tool they sell and that failed miserably. I tried my air tools too, and that didnt work either.

The crank pulley only touches the accessory belt (a/c, power steering and alternator).
cool thanks. how much do you think ill be making from these mods ?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:03 AM

The light weight crank pulley doesnt make power, it just frees up power and lets the engine rev a bit easier. I put it on back when I still had the stock flywheel and even then I could still feel a difference in throttle response. You may see a few hp on the dyno if you're lucky.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

The sudden stop/jerk.

If you've ever tried to spin a camshaft on a fully assembled head, you'll know what I'm talking about. Or if you've done a timing belt.

The sudden stop of the crank while camshaft is spinning which doesn't like to sit in one spot, but rather spring back or forth on the position where valves are shut.

There was no other issues. The heads had not been off prior to that. No timing belt was done on the car. Tensioner was fine, belt was tight enough.

Just to point this out....The timing belt isn't as tight as it gets the way most know of, which is by the tensioner everyone knows of....there is in fact another tensioner on the other side above the crank which works with oil pressure. At high RPM, the belt gets tighter. So it is not too odd that I jumped a few teeth. The position of the camshafts and crank at the time had to be at a point where it was more prone to this happening, so I don't expect it to happen every time someone does something like this. I guess I had perfect timing lol. It is after all a belt and not a chain, so it does stretch. Anyway....

The tool is the only way I could loosen that bolt, everytime I had to. I don't know why it wouldn't work for anyone else. I'm not one to do every single thing by the book, but this is one of those things where it was the only way

cool thanks. how much do you think ill be making from these mods ?
To give my honest take on this.... you will be *making* more because you expect it, than you actually do in reality. This is often the case with things like that.

Idk if I made much sense with what I said, but I'm just saying be prepared not to be WOWed
civicdrivr (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Safety Car

i have the honda crank tool if you want to do it the hardway also. lol

I also tried spinning the crank by hand. It spins super easy when the sparks are out. Harder when the spark are in, but not impossible. I did something stupid last time. I span it while the car was in gear. I wAS LIKE why is it so F*kin hard. lol

Last edited by thisaznboi88; 05-13-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

To give my honest take on this.... you will be *making* more because you expect it, than you actually do in reality. This is often the case with things like that.

Idk if I made much sense with what I said, but I'm just saying be prepared not to be WOWed
i understand you i know im not goign to expect much from the crank pulley except the quicker rev maybe. but i hope to at least feel something from the pnp lols.

I also tried spinning the crank by hand. It spins super easy when the sparks are out. Harder when the spark are in, but not impossible. I did something stupid last time. I span it while the car was in gear. I wAS LIKE why is it so F*kin hard. lol
bring it with you help me change it the same day ?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't understand why using the tool is considered the hard way.
maybe its just me, but I've never had a problem using it
Old 05-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Banned

well theres the diy i was reading about. and it seems easier with the tool so thanks opel and thanks aznboi please bring the tool.!

and ihave a question for all of you guys. i have a little spare cash. and im planning to get the 07 type s cams and the bisimoto vtec springs http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=291 .. and when im ready im going to send in my base cams or the type s cams to get them reground by bisimoto(stage 2) . so i would already have the springs and retainers ready and my car wont have any down time ?. or should i just wait and just do everything at one time ?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

or should i just get the type s cams first and throw them on only
Old 05-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

make sure you have 2 breaker bar and a 3ft pole extension. Me and my friend did it the hard way and we both had to sit on the bar to break it loose. so it was like 380 lbs resting on the bar. lol When it finally pop, we thought we broke something.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

can i just use a hollow pipe ? what socket is the one that holes the pulley ?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

yeah we use d a 3ft pipe. lol "borrowed" one from the construction yard.

It needs a 3/8 wench or maybe a 1/2in I don't remember. looks like this

Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 PM

IIRC its a 19mm bolt on the crank pulley.

Depending on the hollow pipe, it might bend.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

yeah we use d a 3ft pipe. lol "borrowed" one from the construction yard.

It needs a 3/8 wench or maybe a 1/2in I don't remember. looks like this

Okay will bring both size ratchets and find a steel pipe
IIRC its a 19mm bolt on the crank pulley.

Depending on the hollow pipe, it might bend.
Thanks hope the one I get is strong enough
Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

OPEL is on your thread and not on my thread

any updates Rooster ?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swoosh

OPEL is on your thread and not on my thread

any updates Rooster ?
haha umm i thought my door was coming in today but didnt. car is already repaired where dents were .

new door coming in tomorrow 5/15(paint jams assemble door)
prep and mask 5/15-5/16
paint 5/17

should have my car back by friday if not saturday for more dieting... man i miss my car soooo much its ridiculous
Old 05-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

well theres the diy i was reading about. and it seems easier with the tool so thanks opel and thanks aznboi please bring the tool.!

and ihave a question for all of you guys. i have a little spare cash. and im planning to get the 07 type s cams and the bisimoto vtec springs http://bisimoto.com/store/index.php?...roducts_id=291 .. and when im ready im going to send in my base cams or the type s cams to get them reground by bisimoto(stage 2) . so i would already have the springs and retainers ready and my car wont have any down time ?. or should i just wait and just do everything at one time ?
I had to go back to the first page and read what exactly you're trying to do.

Maybe i'm not understanding this correctly.... you wanna install type s cams. which has downtime..., then after, send your stock cams to get reground, then swap them again, which is more downtime.

I think, for the amount of time and money on swapping cams, you should find a set of spare heads... and REBUILD them... On your first post, I read that you are PnPng the intake tract.

Why not compliment that by porting the heads as well. If you got a set of spare heads, port them...both In&ex. While you're at it, get larger valves.
I say this because, when you're all done with your NA build, you might find that itchy need for boost lol.... and if you do, you won't regret doing this to your heads.

Now, assuming no foreseeable boost in the future..., to reach the numbers you're looking for, you're gonna have to rev up higher which is one more reason to rebuild a set of heads. At the same time , you will probably have to increase the CR, which is another reason to rebuild your heads with some REALLY good components (especially springs).

You mentioned forged pistons and rods. If you're gonna go that route (now these are just ideas), it would be nice to lower the stroke. You'll end up hating driving at under 3-4k. A custom crank shaft!!! ...

Ok back to reality.... As far as I know, stock rods are forged. Pistons are not.

Assuming you're staying NA, you'll wanna increase the CR with your custom pistons...maybe another almost a full point.

And if you're gonna get into the bottom end of the motor, install the oil squirters from the 3.5
I would not try to rev this engine past 9k, without a properly balanced crank, but if anyone's gonna go to the extent of doing that, might as well, get a different crank ....you know what I'm aiming at.

All in all, Your goal numbers are reachable, but I don't know if the car is going to be very streetable. You're looking to get another 100+ whp from your current configuration, and its kinda of aiming towards what most wouldn't find very DD friendly.

All this has probably been already mentioned by other members, but I just don't feel like reading 6 pages

Last edited by Opel; 05-14-2012 at 08:07 PM.
civicdrivr (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Maybe i'm not understanding this correctly.... you wanna install type s cams. which has downtime..., then after, send your stock cams to get reground, then swap them again, which is more downtime.

I think, for the amount of time and money on swapping cams, you should find a set of spare heads... and REBUILD them... On your first post, I read that you are PnPng the intake tract.

Why not compliment that by porting the heads as well. If you got a set of spare heads, port them...both In&ex. While you're at it, get larger valves.
I say this because, when you're all done with your NA build, you might find that itchy need for boost lol.... and if you do, you won't regret doing this to your heads.

Now, assuming no foreseeable boost in the future..., to reach the numbers you're looking for, you're gonna have to rev up higher which is one more reason to rebuild a set of heads. At the same time , you will probably have to increase the CR, which is another reason to rebuild your heads with some REALLY good components (especially springs).

You mentioned forged pistons and rods. If you're gonna go that route (now these are just ideas), it would be nice to lower the stroke. You'll end up hating driving at under 3-4k. A custom crank shaft!!! ...

Ok back to reality.... As far as I know, stock rods are forged. Pistons are not.

Assuming you're staying NA, you'll wanna increase the CR with your custom pistons...maybe another almost a full point.

And if you're gonna get into the bottom end of the motor, install the oil squirters from the 3.5
I would not try to rev this engine past 9k, without a properly balanced crank, but if anyone's gonna go to the extent of doing that, might as well, get a different crank ....you know what I'm aiming at.

All in all, Your goal numbers are reachable, but I don't know if the car is going to be very streetable. You're looking to get another 100+ whp from your current configuration, and its kinda of aiming towards what most wouldn't find very DD friendly.
wow great info !. re reading this like 4 times still soaking it all in as im not that mechanically inclined but i do understand.

im planning to raise compression to as high as i can as long as i can still run on pump gas( no race gas around the bay area) but im planning to run meth so ive been reading it raises octane levels?

oil squirters ? please elaborate on that.

is it TOTALLY necessary to pnp the heads too ? if its totally necessary i will do it too !.

will be getting bigger injectors.

so for as of now heres what is for sure

pnp intake manifold
pnp tbs
pnp runners
type s cams sent to bisimoto for stage 2
springs and retainers
pistons and rods
pcds
rv6 jpipe
custom catback
cai
meth
jandr ecu

with those above do you tink i will be reaching my goals?
and the tl diet i wanna be able to run with 335i's maybe thats a big goal but i want all this done n/a
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

if your doing meth to stop from pinging I suggest you get it done at the dyno. Also Methanol runs out bro. lol

if you want to bump the compression the cheap way, get another set of head and get it shaved. That should put you around 12cr but make sure you get the motor clayed first before you do it.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Banned

^ haha i know im looking at cylinder heads too. thinking about what opel said. theres a difference between the a/t one and the m/t one am i correct?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
There is a difference between the a/t and m/t heads. I only know this because they have different part #'s. I have always been curious as to what exactly the difference is between the two.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

yeah well i think its goign to be hard finding used m/t heads
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

i think there was a type-s head in the FS a while back. OP hydrolocked his motor.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 AM

All this has probably been already mentioned by other members, but I just don't feel like reading 6 pages
hahaha OPEL you just revealed all of my secrets

I was telling the same to Nelson on the phone:

5angle intake job
3 angle exhaust
bigger valves
higher CR (12.5:1)
Water Meth to suppress knock/detonation
springs and retainers while at it
reground cams

and if you wanna dig deeper, MDX 3.7 bottom end
forged pistons and rods
lighter balanced crank maybe
redline at 9K rpm

if all goes good, i might be taking up this project coming fall/winter....be around bish, dont disappear !!!

wow great info !. re reading this like 4 times still soaking it all in as im not that mechanically inclined but i do understand.

im planning to raise compression to as high as i can as long as i can still run on pump gas( no race gas around the bay area) but im planning to run meth so ive been reading it raises octane levels?

oil squirters ? please elaborate on that.

is it TOTALLY necessary to pnp the heads too ? if its totally necessary i will do it too !.

will be getting bigger injectors.

so for as of now heres what is for sure

pnp intake manifold
pnp tbs
pnp runners
type s cams sent to bisimoto for stage 2
springs and retainers
pistons and rods
pcds
rv6 jpipe
custom catback
cai
meth
jandr ecu

with those above do you tink i will be reaching my goals?
and the tl diet i wanna be able to run with 335i's maybe thats a big goal but i want all this done n/a
you need to go thro this as i suggested on the phone call:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=swoosh;13776135]hahaha OPEL you just revealed all of my secrets

I was telling the same to Nelson on the phone:

5angle intake job
3 angle exhaust
bigger valves
reground cams

and if you wanna dig deeper, MDX 3.7 bottom end
forged pistons and rods
lighter balanced crank maybe
redline at 9K rpm

if all goes good, i might be taking up this project coming fall/winter....be around bish, dont disappear !!!

this im going to do for sure

5angle intake job
3 angle exhaust
bigger valves
reground cams
forged pistons and rods
redline at 9K rpm

but like you and opel said im doing tons of research on google everyday still soakign everything in as it takes me 4 -5 times for each page of information lol
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM

^^^ the link i quote earlier is "engine for dummies"....i think its self explanatory and if you have basic knowledge of an internal combustion engine and its components, you GOLDEN

and damn you are doing the Protein Diet

Quick Reply: Rooster415's Build Thread.