Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by henrylo
did go to a acura dealship to get it removed?
I'm pretty sure most dealerships won't touch the exhaust.. just call your local muffler shops. Most of them will be able to do it cheap & quickly.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 PM
08 TL Navi NBP - 08 MDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this may be a stretch, but what do y'all think it will sound like if I remove the midmuffler, and in it's place, put in a magnaflow/dynamax resonator in place. Basically, I'd have the stock resonator, and then another resonator, with no mid-muffler. I ask this because unlike many here, I did not enjoy the drone without my mid-muffler, and having a double-resonator setup maybe be a happy medium. Chime in anyone?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

so i just installed my dynomax resonator today and cut out the mid muff and it sounds great!! hoping like people say that it deepens a little more in a month. but no complaints here. def sounds good when it gets stomped on. a def recommended install.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Instructor

After reading total of 30 posts (didn't felt like reading on) and even creating my own thread, I have come up with a solution:

Going to go with stage 3 with the 2.5 Dynomax Resonator. Only because people said it is deeper than the 2.25.

So, would it be cheaper if I did it step by step? like first get the mid muffler removed, then later get the resonator replaced? or just do it all at once?

I am so tempted to do this mod...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
do it all at once.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly everyone who has the resonator and mid muff delete has LOUD rasp which I think on a TL is ridiculous. It makes it sound cheap and shitty. If you want a g35 sound, remove the mid muffler and leave it like that, you get plenty of tone inside the car with all the windows up and plenty of tone outside the car as well, it is very noticeable, but if you want people to notice by saying "wow that acura sounds like shit" get the resonator removed. I am just speaking on from 90percent of the youtube videos I looked up when searching "acura tl stage 3"
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
Honestly everyone who has the resonator and mid muff delete has LOUD rasp which I think on a TL is ridiculous. It makes it sound cheap and shitty. If you want a g35 sound, remove the mid muffler and leave it like that, you get plenty of tone inside the car with all the windows up and plenty of tone outside the car as well, it is very noticeable, but if you want people to notice by saying "wow that acura sounds like shit" get the resonator removed. I am just speaking on from 90percent of the youtube videos I looked up when searching "acura tl stage 3"
mine doesnt sound like shit at all. its a noticeable deeper sound but no real rasp to it. its just a higher performance resonator. i love the sound. and its a youtube video. of course sound quality isnt that good. need to hear an actual car before being so bias.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dbqkqh
After reading total of 30 posts (didn't felt like reading on) and even creating my own thread, I have come up with a solution:

Going to go with stage 3 with the 2.5 Dynomax Resonator. Only because people said it is deeper than the 2.25.

So, would it be cheaper if I did it step by step? like first get the mid muffler removed, then later get the resonator replaced? or just do it all at once?

I am so tempted to do this mod...
def do it all at once. takes only 20 minutes. that and you just want one pipe n less welds = less chance for a leak. install was 50$ and may cost more doing it ppiece by piece
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 AM
that ONE RED tl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You obviously haven't heard it in real life, and if you notice on most of the vids, the camera is directly behind the muffler. The ones with a loud rasp are stage 4 with both mid-muffler and res removed (but I can't say that for sure as I've never heard it in person). I've got the stg3 and there is NO rasp at all and it took the urge away to buy a ~$1000 exhaust system (for now) Find someone local with stg3 and I'm sure you'll change your mind.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

what is stage 4? I thought stage 3 was removing the mid muff and resonator and replacing the resonator with the dynomax or magnaflow resonator? the vids I watched are stage 3, I went to youtube and searched "acura tl stage 3" even in their description is says stage 3 and removing the mid muff and resonator and replacing the resonator with the dynomax or magnaflow resonator
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
i had that setup for about a month. yes it was very raspy and sounded like a tin can exhaust i added the ATLP race pipe (deletes the 3rd cat) and surprisingly it sounded much better. the rasp almost went away
Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor

what is stage 4? I thought stage 3 was removing the mid muff and resonator and replacing the resonator with the dynomax or magnaflow resonator? the vids I watched are stage 3, I went to youtube and searched "acura tl stage 3" even in their description is says stage 3 and removing the mid muff and resonator and replacing the resonator with the dynomax or magnaflow resonator
Stage 4 is replacing the mid muffler and resonator with a 2.5" Straight Pipe
Old 11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

ya that is what my mechanic told me to do...remove the mid muffler and resonator and replace with a straighpipe...does that sound better than stage 3? ( removing mid muff and resonator but replacing resonator with dynomax or magnaflow resonator)

One again the youtube videos I have seen labeled as stage 3 sound like tin can rasp, so i dunno!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Instructor

I did stage three and it was fine. Idk why you would be having issues. The dynomax muffler is really a race muffler and not a responator.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Area on my XM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Best mod under $125? "Stage 3" exhaust, installed. I know that each car can sound a little different, but mine seems to have a nice subdued V8 sound under normal acceleration. Sounds even beefier at WOT. There is no rasp and no drone. Since building horsepower isn't my game, it didn't add any ponies or effect the performance of the car at all. It's basically for audio aesthetics. Better than stock. Quieter than performance-based mufflers or catbacks. It saved me from wasting my money on a HP increase I would never fully use and allowed me to apply the savings to what really rocks my boat: straight curb appeal.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

you should do a sound clip red voodoo...
Old 11-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Area on my XM

you should do a sound clip red voodoo...
You know, I could, but you wouldn't get anywhere near the same effect. That was the problem I initially had. I listened to all the different sound clips posted in this thread, and I felt that there was not enough justification to do the alteration. However, the people who did the "Stage 3" mod thought it was the perfect note for the car. I threw caution into the wind, bought the resonator, and took the car to a local exhaust chain. Ha, I recall even the tech looking at me funny when I told him what I wanted to do, and he commented that I was probably going to be disappointed in the results but that he would do it for me anyway. Talk about discouragement.

Anyways, I had it done, paid $60 for an hours worth of labor, and left the shop. Um, yeah... Talk about a nice subtle difference. It was like getting into a new car as far as my ears went. I was looking forward to the next light at each intersection so I can hit the gas just to here the car "purr". I was relieved that I didn't waste my money, and very happy with the results.

Unfortunately, if you are on the fence about this mod, your best bet is to find somebody in your area that has done this alteration. Like me, though, you probably do not have that luxury. It's going to have to be something that you just do and hope for the best. All you have is other people's reviews to work off of, and that can be a little intimidating.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

No one in my area that I know of, maybe because 90percent of ppl on here are from the usa and I am in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. I think I will stay with stage 1, I am content with it for now...and maybe some other times...again from the youtube vidz, they sound like shit, and raspy. I mean this is a TL it's a luxury car, I dont want to rice it up...know what I mean?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 PM
04Tl

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have stage two and i love it. No drone or rasp!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Y'know...I have been contemplating exhaust mods since I bought the car almost 2 years ago but after reading about the debacle with the BBE exhausts and hearing some of these clips I've decided to leave it as is. Maybe it's just me getting older, but my AEM V2 gives a nice growl on WOT which is enough for me. I guess if I wanted a G35/7 tone, I would've bought one!
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Area on my XM

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
I guess if I wanted a G35/7 tone, I would've bought one!

Yeah... I know what you mean about the desire to keep the exhaust quiet. Hence why I did this mod and saved my money on a performance exhaust. Now I'm interested in putting some quads on my '04, but I'm either going to go with a used pair of TL-S mufflers/tips, or I'm going to find a OE-quality replacement and have my own tips added. I really do like the look of the ATLP quads, but I know I will not be happy with the sound of them. Plus the cost is outrageous (for someone who could care less about trying to increase performance numbers, anyway). I figured I can duplicate the look with some minor customization.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Instructor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf_Fe3TxfY&feature=rec-HM-fresh+div]

did some browsing around in youtube and came across a Stage 4 Mod on a TL
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I did my ATLP V2 DP, magnaflow mufflers, stock res, and straight pipe in place of the mid muffler and it sounds great...it gets better every day( especially after my 800 mile road trip). I have an AEM V2 CAI too. I think i'm gonna do the dynamax res and I have an ATLP Test pipe to put on. When I first got it put on I couldn't hear it over 3k rpm but now i can hear and feel a very noticeable difference all the way through.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

okay. this is quite a lengthy thread. Reading all 40 pages is getting ridiculous. I'm planning on getting the mid-muffler removed but would like to hear a really good clip of the sound after the mod is made. Does someone have a clip or can direct me to one. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Youtube, they are all over.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Just do the mid muff I did it and I love it!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pb22
okay. this is quite a lengthy thread. Reading all 40 pages is getting ridiculous. I'm planning on getting the mid-muffler removed but would like to hear a really good clip of the sound after the mod is made. Does someone have a clip or can direct me to one. Thanks in advance.
Make sure you don't soley base your decision on sound clips from YouTube. They don't quite do the modification justice. IMO the mid-muffler delete gives the car a nice subtle tone which many people compare to the G35. I like to think of it as the TL sound, but so be it. To me it was a necessity to delete the mid-muffler because I drive the manual transmission and like to actually 'hear' when to shift. Plus, it sounds pretty sweet too

Also, most clips of exhaust modifications aren't great examples of what they sound like in reality. You'll see that a lot are recorded on the ground, inches away from the exhaust exit which gives a false representation of how it acutally sounds. Try it: start your car and listen standing 10 feet away from the car, then come right up to your rear bumper, bend over and place your ear right near your exhaust tips...quite the difference huh?

Last edited by Freshjive360; 12-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Racer

Just got my mid-muffler cut out for $30. Sounds great!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caiman
Just got my mid-muffler cut out for $30. Sounds great!
Wow, great deal. You have a hook up at the shop or something? Mine cost $70
Old 12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Freshjive360
Wow, great deal. You have a hook up at the shop or something? Mine cost $70
HOLY CRAP!
Nope, I just walked in, talked to the guy for a sec, and they did it for me. Its a place called Hurcules in denton texas. The guy even quoted me at $40 but when they were done he charged me 30.

And the install is perfect. They expanded both ends of the 2.25" piping to make it fit.

I cant keep off the gas the sweet spot is at 2700-3500rpms
The following users liked this post:
daddiyo (10-05-2012)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Caiman
HOLY CRAP!
Nope, I just walked in, talked to the guy for a sec, and they did it for me. Its a place called Hurcules in denton texas. The guy even quoted me at $40 but when they were done he charged me 30.

And the install is perfect. They expanded both ends of the 2.25" piping to make it fit.

I cant keep off the gas the sweet spot is at 2700-3500rpms
That spot starts at a slightly lower rpm for me, but yep, thats it!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

That was a good deal, what stage did you do?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jaco
That was a good deal, what stage did you do?
caiman had his mid-muffler removed and replaced with a straight pipe...known as the stage 1
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Area on my XM

I wish I can produce a sound clip that does this mod justice. They just do not replicate what one hears in person. The "Stage 3" mod is not loud or obnoxious as some might believe. I'm a bit leary of removing both the mid-muffler and resonator completely ("Stage 4"); it sounds too raspy for me. But, "Stage 3" is the sweet spot. I know I keep tooting the horn on this, but it's only because it took a frickin' leap of faith for me to alter my exhaust at all (I only wanted slightly deeper than stock). For those afraid to take the plunge, I recommend taking that gamble and just doing it! It's completely reversible, and the chance that even the most conservative car owner will balk at the new tone is negligible.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:13 PM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

3rd cat and resonator GONE. Sounds sweet and subtle. Someone would think there is somthing different about this car, but all u know is its probably fast...=)
It feels zippier, maybe bec i am supercharged, but i wonder if i stole a pony or 2.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

Sup AZ family...got my mid-muffler removed and it sounds sweet and subtle. Sounds like a softer version of the G35. Love it and it only cost me $40! Best investment yet. Combined with my RV6 J-pipe and test pipe and Injen CAI it feels faster. LOL. Could be Psychosomatic. But yea....a definite must do especially of you are on a budget and you dont want a crappy sound.

Here are some pics...ENJOY.

Name:  photo-4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  75.5 KB
Name:  photo-5.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  77.7 KB
Name:  photo-6.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  photo-7.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  67.8 KB
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 AM
2006 TL-S.C. 6mt

Nice!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Cruisin'

thanks 03TL_S
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
"Go Big or Go Home"

So I've read about 60 posts and my mind is all over the place. I have a 05 TL and I want it to sound louder and deeper, like a TL should sound. I've read that people have replaced the mid-muffler with a straight pipe and kept the stock resonator, giving a nice sound for a cheap price. I've also read people who have replaced the stock resonator with a magnaflow/dynomax resonator to give a louder, deeper sound. I definately wanna replace the mid muffler with a straight pipe and replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow or dynomax resonator. I don't know much about exhausts, so can someone please just give me the link where I can buy the resonator and tell me what size to get and from which company (magnaflow or dynomax)? Thanks alot!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 PM
that ONE RED tl

Originally Posted by nazTL
So I've read about 60 posts and my mind is all over the place. I have a 05 TL and I want it to sound louder and deeper, like a TL should sound. I've read that people have replaced the mid-muffler with a straight pipe and kept the stock resonator, giving a nice sound for a cheap price. I've also read people who have replaced the stock resonator with a magnaflow/dynomax resonator to give a louder, deeper sound. I definately wanna replace the mid muffler with a straight pipe and replace the stock resonator with a magnaflow or dynomax resonator. I don't know much about exhausts, so can someone please just give me the link where I can buy the resonator and tell me what size to get and from which company (magnaflow or dynomax)? Thanks alot!
Get the dynomax!

http://www.amazon.com/Dynomax-24215-...0337838&sr=8-6

Quick Reply: Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)