Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010 | 12:58 AM
Racer

Does anyone have a true comparison video that compares the factory setup to stage 1 setup with no other mods? With the same car, same camara, and the same camara angle. I am really curious how noticable stage 1 would be?
Old 11-07-2010 | 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm pretty sure i want the Magnaflow because to me the deeper the tone the more drone seems to come out too.. Im just not 100% sure which one to go with. Seems like everyone says 14416 but its 2.5 inlet/outlet, shouldn't it be 2.25 ?? which one would be easier to weld on?

in any case which one is the correct one ?
Old 11-07-2010 | 04:38 PM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
I'm pretty sure i want the Magnaflow because to me the deeper the tone the more drone seems to come out too.. Im just not 100% sure which one to go with. Seems like everyone says 14416 but its 2.5 inlet/outlet, shouldn't it be 2.25 ?? which one would be easier to weld on?

in any case which one is the correct one ?
Yeah the 10416 with the 2.5 is what everybody ordered and me as well. But when I went around getting quotes to have this done the other day most shops advised getting 2.25 which is what our pipe size is. They said the reason being is because when you go to weld the 2.5 to 2.25 most shops will try to fill in the gaps with "booger weld" which looks like crap and could potentially leak down the road since it's basically a filler. So I'm sending mine back and getting the 10415 which has the 2.25 inlet/outlet.
Old 11-07-2010 | 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Looks like im gonna go with that one too, it seems like its the exact one as the other but just with the 2.25 inlet/outlet. where did you order yours from ?? think im gonna go with summitracing.com
Old 11-08-2010 | 08:47 AM
is in Honda heaven

Looks like im gonna go with that one too, it seems like its the exact one as the other but just with the 2.25 inlet/outlet. where did you order yours from ?? think im gonna go with summitracing.com
Yeah its the exact same besides the inlet/outlet. I've always gotten my magnaflow stuff from hottexhaust.com. Their prices always seemed decent to me and they have a warehouse in VA so I usually get me stuff in like 2 days.
Old 11-10-2010 | 12:13 PM
is in Honda heaven

Just got my stage 2 done yesterday along with Rv6 V3 Jpipe. Definitely impressed with the power of the jpipe and the sound of the stage 2. I just have to take it back to have something tightened tomorrow because there's a decently audible rattle at cold start up and when you lay into it. As long as that gets resolved I love it!

And I actually kept the 2.5 Magnaflow due to time constraint and the fact the exhaust shop had adapters that made it work.
Old 11-10-2010 | 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

did you had the mid muffler removed before or you went straight to stage 2 ?? Im wondering how big of a difference there is. I love the way it sounds with the midmuffler removed but want it louder to the point where drone still doesnt exist
Old 11-11-2010 | 10:19 AM
is in Honda heaven

did you had the mid muffler removed before or you went straight to stage 2 ?? Im wondering how big of a difference there is. I love the way it sounds with the midmuffler removed but want it louder to the point where drone still doesnt exist
No I went straight to stage 2 so I'm not sure of what the difference is. It does sound lovely though, a lil deeper g35 tone. I dont get any drone though. The only thing I didn't expect was the slight resonance from the v3 j pipe. It's tolerable for me but when the wife drives she's always mashing the gas which is when you can hear it. We upgraded for a 4 banger accord in my avatar so I can see what she drives like that now. LOL
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:19 PM
Instructor

Unhappy Dont remove Stock Cats, Resonator's or Muffler's ha

I was thinking.... if I took off the third "Resonator?? > I have heard people call this a "Cat"?" My ride would sound just a bit deeper? Maybe... so I thought... got the car on a lift at a shop and I see

From headers back...

1.Stock "jpipe"
2. Cat
3. Resonator?
4. Resonator?
5. left muffler
6. right muffler

So i see 3 and 4 and I think what the hell take em both off.... ha! Bad idea on my part... sounds like someone put a "fart muffler on" aka ricer? ha

So yeah just thought id share that with you guys... don't take your stock stuff off... although I put the 3 resonator back on and its not bad, removing the 4th is alright.

Anyways my reason behind it is I am waiting for after the holidays when I can officially buy a V3 Jpipe, CAI, TBS...

Found a vid of a guy that did this on his 08 TL on you-tube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sf_F...eature=related

I hated it FYI!
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:22 PM
Instructor

idk bout ur car bro but i did a mid muffler delete n my car sounds perfect and with aem v2 its godlike sound.. its pretty much a deep tone i got like how the car should of sound like stock.
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeS4FOSHO
idk bout ur car bro but i did a mid muffler delete n my car sounds perfect and with aem v2 its godlike sound.. its pretty much a deep tone i got like how the car should of sound like stock.

When you say mid... the long round muffler? Right after the Cat? and you left the big muffler on before your 2 in the rear?
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:40 PM
Former Whiner

Yeah, I can only imagine.
Heard a straight piped 2ndGen TL. Sounded like shit.
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

I seem to see a lot of "3rd muffler Delete" you are saying you did your 2nd correct? If that is the care which sounds best / better?
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:43 PM
Instructor

its located exactly in the middle of the car. after the jpipe. its the last resonator i guess would be number 4 on ur list..i can take a pic of it tomo n send it to u. pm me ur email.
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:46 PM
Instructor

no sorry if i,m confusing u but i also did a 3rd cat delete.. i wasnt so good with the hole concept to be honest so i did some research here and asked around n ppl told me to the mid muffler delete so i took my car to a custom exhaust shop n told them mid muffler delete n they did it for me and not to sice things up but my car kinda sounds like a g35 in a way so i,m super happy with it now. =)
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeS4FOSHO
no sorry if i,m confusing u but i also did a 3rd cat delete.. i wasnt so good with the hole concept to be honest so i did some research here and asked around n ppl told me to the mid muffler delete so i took my car to a custom exhaust shop n told them mid muffler delete n they did it for me and not to sice things up but my car kinda sounds like a g35 in a way so i,m super happy with it now. =)

That was kind of the sound I was hoping for! G35's stock sound slick! and the TL stock nearly has a near matching sound but way to quiet...

Either way Idk what the heck I was thinking, I guess I am just trying to figure out which one to leave off / put back on, if not both? lol
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:54 PM
Safety Car

I'm pretty sure the round one is the resonator and the 1st oval is the mid muffler.
Old 12-21-2010 | 09:57 PM
Instructor

well i jst sent a pic to him. hopefully he knws what to do now. i,m sure he be happy with it at the end cuz i,m very happy with the way mine came out. goodluck
Old 12-21-2010 | 10:27 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

After the J pipe...IIRC is the resonator, swap that for a dynomax one, then cut out the 3rd cat and put in a straight piece of pipe...AKA: a stage 3 exhaust...AMAZING...you would love it...trust me.
Old 12-22-2010 | 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Hope this helps. I labeled everything in Red for you

Name:  SEP4B0200.png
Views: 252
Size:  173.7 KB
Old 12-22-2010 | 03:38 AM
Advanced

OP you are a ricer and only ricers would think of making stock pipes sound loud.. :P

anyhow.. thanks for letting us know.. I was wondering how it would sound.. I would be happy just getting HP instead of sound.. If i wanted a loud mean sounding car I'd get a v8. If I can make as much HP as having a full catback with stock sound Id be happy. In time Id just like to get a jpipe and if its enough HP to ricer noise. I may just get a CAI.

Im 30 years old. I got a Tl for luxury and decent handling with room.. Im coming from an EG hatch with B20 type r head built motor, with premium suspension. This was when I was in my early 20's. blah blah blah. The rice sounds from a tl sickens me.
Old 12-22-2010 | 08:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

bpowa, you haven't heard a stage 3 in person. I agree on the ricey sound...
You would love it...unless you don't dig that Infinity sounds...the engine sounds so great in the lower rpms...not overdone, no drone...not what you're imagining, trust me. I'm 31 and feel the same way you do.

Anyway, in looking at the pictures...it's removal of the 3rd muffler and changing the stock resonator that will yield this.
Old 12-22-2010 | 08:45 AM
Saysdamnalot

Originally Posted by rockstar143
After the J pipe...IIRC is the resonator, swap that for a dynomax one, then cut out the 3rd cat and put in a straight piece of pipe...AKA: a stage 3 exhaust...AMAZING...you would love it...trust me.
Will it still pass emissions like this?
Old 12-22-2010 | 08:55 AM
is in Honda heaven

Originally Posted by bpowa
OP you are a ricer and only ricers would think of making stock pipes sound loud.. :P

anyhow.. thanks for letting us know.. I was wondering how it would sound.. I would be happy just getting HP instead of sound.. If i wanted a loud mean sounding car I'd get a v8. If I can make as much HP as having a full catback with stock sound Id be happy. In time Id just like to get a jpipe and if its enough HP to ricer noise. I may just get a CAI.

Im 30 years old. I got a Tl for luxury and decent handling with room.. Im coming from an EG hatch with B20 type r head built motor, with premium suspension. This was when I was in my early 20's. blah blah blah. The rice sounds from a tl sickens me.

Thank you for attempting to impress us with all the details of your previous car . All the OP is trying to do is make his car sound more aggressive like some other stock vehicles do. In his case a G35, so with that said are G35's ricers because they dont have a quiet exhaust. He clearly stated that's the sound he was going for before you posted this so...

OP, if you replaced the 3rd(mid muffler) like in the diagram with straight pipe and then replace the resonator with a aftermarket one like Magnaflow or Dynomax you'll get the sound you're looking for.

This thread specifically will help out with comparisons. Scroll to post# 1673

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...589747&page=42
Old 12-22-2010 | 09:01 AM
Saysdamnalot

Originally Posted by Derk's K24
Thank you for attempting to impress us with all the details of your previous car . All the OP is trying to do is make his car sound more aggressive like some other stock vehicles do. In his case a G35, so with that said are G35's ricers because they dont have a quiet exhaust. He clearly stated that's the sound he was going for before you posted this so...

OP, if you replaced the 3rd(mid muffler) like in the diagram with straight pipe and then replace the resonator with a aftermarket one like Magnaflow or Dynomax you'll get the sound you're looking for.

Thanks, Derk. That post (#1673) also answered my question on emissions.
Old 12-22-2010 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

yesh u will pass emission and i luckly live in baltimore md so even when i do pcd im still good on emission. =) goodluck anyways,
Old 12-22-2010 | 09:35 AM
HID Nazi

This is the one thing I miss about my turbo car, remove the downpipe and 2 cats and the car was still quiet, yet loud enough when you wanted it to be (WOT). Some nick backfires and "gurggles" as well during high loads in 1st / 2nd gear

Old 12-22-2010 | 09:48 AM
HID Nazi

nice* sound. can't edit posts yet for some reason...
Old 12-22-2010 | 05:09 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the input! I replaced my resonator this morning sounds much better! Does not sound all "RICEY and or HALLOW" Just do not ever remove the res and muffler... TOGETHER haha

OP do you have a sound clip of your ride? I would be interested to hear the replaced res...

I am only doing this to hold me over until I can buy my V3 jpipe and ATLP exhaust system... I noticed they are "out of stock" though... anyone know if they will be making another patch?

Originally Posted by Toddy
Hope this helps. I labeled everything in Red for you

Thanks for the photo! I was listing the exhaust wrong... I was going from "headers back" when in fact it seems rear to front... So when people actually say "3rd CAT Delete" they are talking about the actual CAT then huh? I do not think I could pull that off here in Cali as the emission laws buckle us down!
Old 12-22-2010 | 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Derk's K24

Nice post, wish I had seen it before I went cutting up my exhaust haha... So it would seem what I did was a "Stage 4" but a "Stage 4" to me = CRAP! Don't do it... unless you really like your ride to sound as if you added a "Fart Can" ha

The gent that posted the infor on #1673 suggests "Stage 4" Sounds like an M3 "the rasp" I own a 95 M3 Super charged and I can tell you right now it doesnt sound EVEN CLOSE!...

Even before my supercharger, and after I added a "Rouge Exhaust"
Old 12-22-2010 | 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

You really have no clue what you're talking about. Stage 3 sounds great on these cars.
Old 12-23-2010 | 04:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anx1300c
You really have no clue what you're talking about. Stage 3 sounds great on these cars.

Im just referring to what OP said about his exhaust.. But if it sounds anything close to the G35 exhaust. I am going to have to place an order for a resonator..

Here is a question.. Dynomax or magnaflow? what sounds better and whats the price difference..

Another question is after cutting out the pipe, is there a mandrel bend pipe we can buy to hoocj it back up? In the vider posted there was an crush-bend pipe installed.. Not my preference.. Im welding it back myself and dont have access to a pipe bender.
Old 12-23-2010 | 05:04 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Im just referring to what OP said about his exhaust.. But if it sounds anything close to the G35 exhaust. I am going to have to place an order for a resonator..
No, you really have no clue what you're talking about. You're concerned about a hp to ricer noise, which is just a silly argument as any CAI won't provide dick worth of gains.

Do your research, man...you're simply putting your foot in your mouth at present. There are a multitude of exhaust options, almost all of which provide a suitable tone for this vehicle and don't even touch remotely on the ricer tip.
Old 12-23-2010 | 05:49 PM
Advanced

Well so far.. I have not heard any or seen tl's that are modded around here.. and from videos on youtube.. many sound crappy it maybe different in person. 50 bucks for a couple of hp is not bad.. I stand my ground about noise.. Whats wrong with me not wanting my car loud.. U want it to sound loud by all means go for it.
Old 12-23-2010 | 06:39 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

i have no cats and i love it... old videos btw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUeugqG7KfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5_cLISMvzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnVw2yIWEg

Last edited by ABP_04TL; 12-23-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 08:12 PM
is in Honda heaven

^Case in point right there! Vicious... The only thing I sometimes don't like about my stage 2 is the resonance of the the V3 Jpipe I got. But the power gain is worth the small amount of rattle I get. And if the wife can deal with it than it's ok with me LOL
Old 12-23-2010 | 09:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABP_04TL
i have no cats and i love it... old videos btw

ok I just read a lot of the 40+ page thread on this.. IMO ^^ this is the sound I dont want.. Too loud and raspy. again maybe its the video.. But you mentioned that you also have cat deletes.. still really on the trigger about magnaflow or dymomax?
Old 12-24-2010 | 11:15 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Get Stage 3 with Dynomax for the best sound on the stock setup.
Old 12-25-2010 | 02:13 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

ok I just read a lot of the 40+ page thread on this.. IMO ^^ this is the sound I dont want.. Too loud and raspy. again maybe its the video.. But you mentioned that you also have cat deletes.. still really on the trigger about magnaflow or dymomax?
Seems like u lookin for a suttled sound, IMO dont do anything to ur exhaust if u r afraid of loudness... my exhaust isnt too loud nor raspy its fuken pure SEX! it became raspy after the PCD install but i fixed that with the Vibrant Res... also yes my camera that i used sucks in video so sound quality isnt that good...
Old 12-27-2010 | 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

From what i have seen, if your not running a resonator you will have rasp.

Also the car will sound different if it's parked vs driving.

Quick Reply: Removing Resonator on Stock exhaust (Summary Post #1 & #1811)