Factory IM Spacer - 17108-RDJ-A00

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone cutting their spacer will cause a TQ SHIFT UP. So what im saying is that if you cut the spacer in half you might as well not have a spacer on at all. Simply because the whole point of the big spacer is to shift TQ down were you need it. If you’re not looking for TQ and only HP. Reduce heat under your hood will solve that problem. I think it's extremely funny how let’s cut it down and it should still work right? NO! It won’t. If you don’t like to mess with hood latches like the rest of us don’t do this mod. It's a waste of money and time. Leave the mod alone unless you have your parents pocket to play with and in that note you’re totally GAY!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
What exactly do you want a picture of?

You mean just little pressure the strut bar is putting on that hose is causing roughness? That woul be nice if it were the fix but I think its a reach. Don't see how that would be related to the 02 sensor. Well, if my friend can shave a 1/4" off it won't be an issue.

I know some of the roughness is due to the contact with hood when closed but I did a slow drive with the hood popped and it wasn't that big a difference. I'm mostly worried about the squeak and shuttering.
Go to the parts store buy a 3/8 60 degree slanted elbow. and reconnect the hose it should solve your problem plus everyone else's Next the Temperature sensor will set off a CEL if you didn't give the wires enough room for play and you just stretched them. This means that when you rev your engine it’s pulling on the wires causing a short in the sensor. It’s the first sensor in the manifold right off the TB. Check these 2 items and your problems are fixed.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
New shoes on my

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Beachexotic, I agree that if you are cutting the spacer in half, then you might as well not do the mod at all, but if you're shaving off like 1/2" so that you can maybe pop the hood a little less or something along those lines, then is the TQ shift up really that much? I'm not asking to be a smart ass, I'm really curious. I think i might sacrafic getting like lets say only 90% out of this mod in exchange for the clearance benefits. Just curious on what you think.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by beachexotic03
Everyone cutting their spacer will cause a TQ SHIFT UP. So what im saying is that if you cut the spacer in half you might as well not have a spacer on at all. Simply because the whole point of the big spacer is to shift TQ down were you need it. If you’re not looking for TQ and only HP. Reduce heat under your hood will solve that problem. I think it's extremely funny how let’s cut it down and it should still work right? NO! It won’t. If you don’t like to mess with hood latches like the rest of us don’t do this mod. It's a waste of money and time. Leave the mod alone unless you have your parents pocket to play with and in that note you’re totally GAY!
You are correct about cutting it in half, but to mill it down 10-15mm and still use a thermal gasket, you are only about 4-5mm under what the spacer would be by itself. The loss of tq compared to the test dyno that was already given in the thread will be negligible. So for that that don't want to do a 2-4mm hood pop, this is the way to go. You still get a good gain down low without having to sacrifice the look of the car.

The idea to cut it half was not the best one, but milling it down to get it to work is still going to give a benefit.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
You are correct about cutting it in half, but to mill it down 10-15mm and still use a thermal gasket, you are only about 4-5mm under what the spacer would be by itself. The loss of tq compared to the test dyno that was already given in the thread will be negligible. So for that that don't want to do a 2-4mm hood pop, this is the way to go. You still get a good gain down low without having to sacrifice the look of the car.

The idea to cut it half was not the best one, but milling it down to get it to work is still going to give a benefit.
It all comes down to opportunity cost. Let’s do some math ok? 60 for the spacer kit plus shipped to your door plus 20 5/16 washers 3.00 parts store. Zero for labor if you do it yourself. So we have $63 total cost. So we take 63 divided by 10TQ that’s $6.30 per 1 TQ. Cutting it down We have 63 plus 50 for milling down a ½ so we have let’s say your 90% so we take 10x1.90=19-10 is 9TQ/113 is $12.55 for 1TQ your paying double to lose TQ and save hood clearance? Are you people nuts? That’s a total RIP! Now if we fallow the step that other members have fallowed like raising hood latch and using spacers you will have no hood issues and you will have 50 dollars. Do the math!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
It all comes down to opportunity cost. Let’s do some math ok? 60 for the spacer kit plus shipped to your door plus 20 5/16 washers 3.00 parts store. Zero for labor if you do it yourself. So we have $63 total cost. So we take 63 divided by 10TQ that’s $6.30 per 1 TQ. Cutting it down We have 63 plus 50 for milling down a ½ so we have let’s say your 90% so we take 10x1.90=19-10 is 9TQ/113 is $12.55 for 1TQ your paying double to lose TQ and save hood clearance? Are you people nuts? That’s a total RIP! Now if we fallow the step that other members have fallowed like raising hood latch and using spacers you will have no hood issues and you will have 50 dollars. Do the math!
I understand the math, but most people don't want a ricer popped hood on their sport/luxury sedan. The spacer looks to be nearly 2" tall. Milling 1/4"+ out of it won't be a big deal nor significantly impact low and midrange gains. Additionally, the reduced height will aleviate some of the wiring/hose issues. Spending $200 vs spending $60 isn't a huge deal for most people on the site. Keep your popped hood for entertainment value for the rest of us to point and laugh at.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Ryan Christopher

What about those that don't have to pay to have it milled, I get the same thing minus maybe 1 ft/lb of tq, maybe. I am removing only 4mm, enough to clear the hood. PLUS I get to keep the thermal gasket so that there is no metal on metal contact. So it remains cool, all while not having to do the ugly hood pop! Some of us are a little to old to have our cars have the hood gaped up and looking extremely ricer.

In the overall scheme of things, you are still gaining 9 ft/lbs of torque for $113 at your estimated cost. How much TQ does a CAI at $200+ add? Far less per $. There are so many mods that cost more per lb/tq then this. So even if you think we are "nuts", we are still gaining tq in the end.

I really doubt you will lose 10% by milling 4-5mm. This is an option for those that choose not to space there hood and retain a complete factory look. For each his own, but don't call someone "nuts" just because they don't feel the same way you do about something.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Damn you people in this thread that think this is "your" mod and that it should only be done "your" way need to think twice. Take your opinions elsewhere, seriously.

I've asked three times in this thread if milling it down would hurt the #s, and obviously it would. But taking only a small amount off can't.

God cocky people piss me off.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:17 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by gerzand
Yes, a pic of this area. But its not just the tubing i'm looking at. Just do it
alright, fix me. returned to just P2R and everything is buttoned up. No change, still got CEL and still sounds like shop vac sucking up water type induction noise when I floor it. Squeak still there around 1700 rpm's.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by Dave_B
I understand the math, but most people don't want a ricer popped hood on their sport/luxury sedan. The spacer looks to be nearly 2" tall. Milling 1/4"+ out of it won't be a big deal nor significantly impact low and midrange gains. Additionally, the reduced height will aleviate some of the wiring/hose issues. Spending $200 vs spending $60 isn't a huge deal for most people on the site. Keep your popped hood for entertainment value for the rest of us to point and laugh at.
Dave,

gotta disagree. I never knew or noticed "popped hoods" until this thread started. then, started seeing them here and there. what I'm getting at is, the average person would never notice a 5mm rise in the hood line. a tuner might and I think that just opens a round of conversation on what you've done to the engine to necessitate the increased clearance.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:55 PM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP

just my 2 cents, but I think 15 mm is roughly 3/4". those of us that added 5 mm in washers and are still rubbing might clear it with 1/4" shaved off but, don't plan on putting the under hood felt barrier back in. That thing has some fiberglass material that is 3/4" think here and theres and would most definitely ride on the IM cover.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Instructor

Check your grounds There is a little sensor under the intake runners. What code did you get? I have a service manual infront of me.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM
practicing nihilist

Constant P0137, "O2 sensor low voltage bank ?".

Sounds plausible about the ground. Everything with a canon plug is secure, however
Old 06-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Ryan Christopher

just my 2 cents, but I think 15 mm is roughly 3/4". those of us that added 5 mm in washers and are still rubbing might clear it with 1/4" shaved off but, don't plan on putting the under hood felt barrier back in. That thing has some fiberglass material that is 3/4" think here and theres and would most definitely ride on the IM cover.
Thank you, it is hard to know how much to shave off exactly. My parts have come in, I just haven't had a chance to go get them. I have the outlaw thermal gasket and thinking it is pretty much the same as the p2r one. so roughly a 1/4". BTW 15mm ~ 19/32". not quite 3/4". From the math I did it looks like 12mm is my best bet. This allows for 5.6mm clearance. With the felt off, this should get me in the proper range. I guess we will see. I have a feeling I will be playing with it to find the best height. I will shave a little off and test fit to see. If it doesn't work, I will take a bit more off.

Thank you again for the input on the numbers and I have been wanting to take the under hood cover off, just haven't had the time, so that is not a problem.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Ryan Christopher

Constant P0137, "O2 sensor low voltage bank ?".

Sounds plausible about the ground. Everything with a canon plug is secure, however
BTW, did you do any kind of grounding kit in the car? I ran 4 gauge through out the engine bay to make sure I had a good ground on everything. Just a thought. Go to your local stereo supply store or pick up a grounding kit from eBay or some other location. This is a fairly inexpensive mod and just cleans up your ground signal in the car. Since everything is electronic nowadays, it is important to have a really good grounding system in the car. The r gauge was overkill, but I like it! gl
Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
ok guys, here is an update on rubbing issues after long term testing of over 1000 miles (500 normal miles and 500 aggressive)

As many of you may not know, I have done this mod but HAVE NOT used the p2r or outlaw engineering thermal gaskets. I have simply used OEM gaskets. This means that my motor is 1/4 inch lower than most other peoples doing this mod.

I have noticed no performance loss after some hardcore driving for hours on end, and feel the p2r spacer truly wasn't worth the extra time and money getting things to fit.

Below, I have listed what I did to make the motor fit with no rubbing BEFORE and AFTER my participation in the Ohio GumBall330 rally, in which I pushed the motor to its limit for 5 hours of rally racing on some of the most challenging roads Ive ever seen. I did a lot of down shifting and wheel hops (burnouts), and even FWD drifting (!!??) which caused a lot of vertical motor movement.

If you use this method, you will require no external modifications to the vehicle, including no hood pop provided you are NOT using the P2R or Outlaw engineering thermal gaskets!

BEFORE:

1) Adjust hood latch to within a few mm of its max height.

2) Remove heat shielding material from underside of hood.

3) Used a Dremel tool or equivalent with metal cutoff wheel to cut a 1/2'' deep (preliminary) by 8'' long notch out of the center hood reinforcement bar. (The hood's structural rigidity has not been compromised enough to matter). Then paint with high temp engine enamel or touch up paint.

AFTER:

A small amount of rubbing was going on, and some moderate scratching was made to my IM cover during increased motor movement, so I decided to cut another 1/4 inch out of the bar, taking the total depth to a FINAL: 3/4'' deep. This is a perfect fit, and I now have a beautifully chemically stripped and painted NBP IM Cover which I know wont get beat up!

Pics tonight after the ride gets back from the paint shop for some other work being done!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^^hmmm...now u got me thinkin i should do this.....no "hood pop" FTW..lol
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

alright, fix me. returned to just P2R and everything is buttoned up. No change, still got CEL and still sounds like shop vac sucking up water type induction noise when I floor it. Squeak still there around 1700 rpm's.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorry man, thats odd. Have no idea then.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Ryan Christopher

ok guys, here is an update on rubbing issues after long term testing of over 1000 miles (500 normal miles and 500 aggressive)

As many of you may not know, I have done this mod but HAVE NOT used the p2r or outlaw engineering thermal gaskets. I have simply used OEM gaskets. This means that my motor is 1/4 inch lower than most other peoples doing this mod.

I have noticed no performance loss after some hardcore driving for hours on end, and feel the p2r spacer truly wasn't worth the extra time and money getting things to fit.

Below, I have listed what I did to make the motor fit with no rubbing BEFORE and AFTER my participation in the Ohio GumBall330 rally, in which I pushed the motor to its limit for 5 hours of rally racing on some of the most challenging roads Ive ever seen. I did a lot of down shifting and wheel hops (burnouts), and even FWD drifting (!!??) which caused a lot of vertical motor movement.

If you use this method, you will require no external modifications to the vehicle, including no hood pop provided you are NOT using the P2R or Outlaw engineering thermal gaskets!

BEFORE:

3) Used a Dremel tool or equivalent with metal cutoff wheel to cut a 1/2'' deep (preliminary) by 8'' long notch out of the center hood reinforcement bar. (The hood's structural rigidity has not been compromised enough to matter). Then paint with high temp engine enamel or touch up paint.

AFTER:

A small amount of rubbing was going on, and some moderate scratching was made to my IM cover during increased motor movement, so I decided to cut another 1/4 inch out of the bar, taking the total depth to a FINAL: 3/4'' deep. This is a perfect fit, and I now have a beautifully chemically stripped and painted NBP IM Cover which I know wont get beat up!

Pics tonight after the ride gets back from the paint shop for some other work being done!

Thank you for the update. Look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks Gerzand.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

AFTER my participation in the Ohio GumBall330 rally, in which I pushed the motor to its limit for 5 hours of rally racing
uhhhh Jealous
Old 06-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Former Whyner

the Temperature sensor will set off a CEL if you didn't give the wires enough room for play and you just stretched them. This means that when you rev your engine it’s pulling on the wires causing a short in the sensor. It’s the first sensor in the manifold right off the TB. Check these 2 items and your problems are fixed.
Ok this definatley happened to me yesterday because my boy was revving my engine and all of a sudden he turned it off and got out. So when I left I saw my CEL on

Now will this code throw the CPU into safe mode or something crazy like that cuz i only drove 10 miles or so home and the car didnt feel different but I think I might have burnt more gas...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
uhhhh Jealous
Hey man, attend the next one in August! But bust out your rally lights (or triple set of 55w HID's like me) cuz its goona be a night race and ur goona need em! I cant wait! Everyones welcome to come . We had ppl from Illinois and Canada this year and 40 cars ranging from CL55 AMG's to Diesel trucks, to slammed miata's. It's a SICK time. No lie.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Former Whyner

Hey man, attend the next one in August! But bust out your rally lights (or triple set of 55w HID's like me) cuz its goona be a night race and ur goona need em! I cant wait! Everyones welcome to come . We had ppl from Illinois and Canada this year and 40 cars ranging from CL55 AMG's to Diesel trucks, to slammed miata's. It's a SICK time. No lie.
i know that its prob illegal as hell but do you have pics or a site for this?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

is it picture time yet????
Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by InFaMouSLink
is it picture time yet????
Patience! Alex, come help me build some navi harnesses!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Hood popped chit chat needs to stop

Having your hood propped at the latches as mentioned before is 100% tuner and the opposite of rice

Rice is adding pointless shit that yields no gains...

Sorry but even if this gained 1lbs tq it would not be rice

The fact that it gains 8x times that makes you guys that are "anti hood pop" pointless... In other words.. This mod which I decided to unveil is for the guys who've modded beyond the average aziner... Meaning they've got full freeflowing exhausts with that minimal loss in tq.. And this mod brings that low end tq back and then some

This is not for a member who's car is purely stock and only has a cai... Its pretty pointless in my mind to install this spacer if you only have a cai

Long post summed up.... Quit bitching about hood popping and those of you who installed it w/ the p2r.. Put the crack pipe down, because that thermal gasket aint doing a got damn thing sandwiched in there... Quit wasting your time worrying about the rub a dub dub and install 2 oem gaskets and call it a day

Ps. For all of you who never got a chance to see my ride (which is long gone) you should look it up... I was the official all go and no show tl-s
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Former Whyner

HE HAS SPOKEN

BTW AL Happy Belated Fathers DAY
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Former Whyner

Yeah See this Fuckin HOOD yeah its POPPED and I want everybody to know it

Old 06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Its picture time!

Here are my long promised pics

I'm sportin the non-popped collar look.

So flush n' so clean clean.....

Last edited by gerzand; 06-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
........1) Adjust hood latch to within a few mm of its max height..............
Good stuff man! This is the info I've been waiting on. One question though; I help Ronjon757 install his spacer, but we could not figure out how to adjust the hood latch. Can you explain that a little further and possible post pictures of what you did to adjust it. That is all I need to take the plunge on this mod. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

hahah I like how you cutout a section of the support to clear the IM... good shit bro... good shit

more incentive to show this mod is worth the wild
Old 06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
Good stuff man! This is the info I've been waiting on. One question though; I help Ronjon757 install his spacer, but we could not figure out how to adjust the hood latch. Can you explain that a little further and possible post pictures of what you did to adjust it. That is all I need to take the plunge on this mod. Thanks for the help!
No need for pics really, just remove the 3 clips and 2 screws that hold the front piece of engine bay plastic trim on which lays on top of the the hood latch (It's 3 feet long. You cant miss it!). Then, stick your hand behind the grill and pull the recessed piece of debris-shielding plastic off from around the latch release handle and set it aside. Once this is off, slip you hand as well as a 10mm socket behind the grill again and loosen (don't remove) the 3 bolts. Adjust it a little bit at a time, tightening them back up after each test fitment of the hood. Within 5 mins, your done!

P.S- when your done, adjust the rubber bump stops that the hood rests on while closed by turning them counter-clockwise(?) to raise them so the hood doesn't rattle/have slop.

Last edited by gerzand; 06-24-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
practicing nihilist

Good stuff, all. This was one of those mods where a bunch of us experimental types jumped right in and there was some trial-and-error/lessons learned along the way.

Got a friend looking into chopping a 1/4" off mine and I think I'll ace the P2R spacer. Don't mind the pop but won't do it if I don't need it.

I'm spacer-less as of right now for trouble shooting and a trip to the dealer. Found the j-pipe connection to rear cat delete was loose and I've isolated the vibe & squeak to the rear cat delete connection to the manifold. I remember how much of a bitch the bolts were and can't say I'm that suprised they backed off. Hope this takes care of it and gets rid of the O2 sensor code.

I pulled the plastic shield above the grille off and saw the 4 bolts holding the hood latch mechanism in place. Don't really see how it can be adjusted in elevation, though.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I pulled the plastic shield above the grille off and saw the 4 bolts holding the hood latch mechanism in place. Don't really see how it can be adjusted in elevation, though.

Cheers
The holes are slotted.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Here are my long promised pics

whats this?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
No need for pics really, just remove the 3 clips and 2 screws that hold the front piece of engine bay plastic trim on which lays on top of the the hood latch (It's 3 feet long. You cant miss it!). Then, stick your hand behind the grill and pull the recessed piece of debris-shielding plastic off from around the latch release handle and set it aside. Once this is off, slip you hand as well as a 10mm socket behind the grill again and loosen (don't remove) the 3 bolts. Adjust it a little bit at a time, tightening them back up after each test fitment of the hood. Within 5 mins, your done!

P.S- when your done, adjust the rubber bump stops that the hood rests on while closed by turning them counter-clockwise(?) to raise them so the hood doesn't rattle/have slop.
I'll take a look at it when I get back to Va. I just ordered the spacer and metal gaskets. I had the outlaw spacer on, but wasn't planning on using it for this spacer anyway. I will have to order the bolts from BMW when I get back. Thanks man!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

whats this?
My alternate location for the brake booster vacuum solenoid which originally fastened to the top of the IM via a bracket and 8mm bolt (you can in the pics see where mine is no longer present). The reason for the relocation was that it rubs on both the stock and RV-6 strut tower bar. I zip tied it around the rear spark plug wire guide, right below its original location.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

gerzand.

you talking about the left black piece here?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

gerzand.

you talking about the left black piece here?
yup. It causes engine drone/vibration in the cabin when in gear if you tighten it down and it touches the bar.

Quick Reply: Factory IM Spacer - 17108-RDJ-A00