Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners

I've just got a free updated Navi Disc from Acura in the mail. It's nice that the new CA-210 is finally in the system! I hope all other 04 owners will get theirs soon!
Old 11-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Free Navi upgrade ?

Originally Posted by mason1125
I've just got a free updated Navi Disc from Acura in the mail. It's nice that the new CA-210 is finally in the system! I hope all other 04 owners will get theirs soon!
Maybe you can enlighted us on how Acura gave you a free upgrade Navi Disc when it normally costs $180. You are the 1st person on this forum I believe that has gotten a free upgrade....

What explanation came with the upgrade on why you got it?

What version did they give you? It is written on the DVD.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Advanced

DVD Version 3.40. The letter pointed out that this one time update is provided to a select number of Acura TL & MDX owners!?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Racer

DVD Version 3.40. The letter pointed out that this one time update is provided to a select number of Acura TL & MDX owners!?
This came from the Acura headquarters or your dealer???
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Did you buy your car very recently? I wonder if it's one of those "so close to the new disc so free upgrade" situations, much like when you buy Quicken and they release a new version within a month.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

If anyone has this new update disc installed. Please post differences between current version and upgrade version. I'd pay 180 bucks so I wouldn't have to press <OK> all the time on the Navi.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dpeease
If anyone has this new update disc installed. Please post differences between current version and upgrade version. I'd pay 180 bucks so I wouldn't have to press <OK> all the time on the Navi.

that will NEVER go away
Old 12-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

What's your VIN? When did you buy the car? Perhaps there is a range where the discs are somewhat defective.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Advanced

It is from Honda headquarters in Torrance, CA. And I bought my TL back in Feb 04, Vin: 259XX.
The updated version has updated street information and "point of interest". The rest are the same.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Was there any kind of contact information regarding the update that you received with your disk? Maybe the rest of us could give them a call to get our "one time free update."
Old 12-01-2004, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

Re updated nav DVD

I just bought a new 05 navi on friday the 26th of November. It was built the week of the 14th in November and my disk is 3.40A and has printed 2004 on it. I am under the impression that my disk is not the latest version that will be on most of the 05 TLs when they are built. the new versions are supposed to come out in the fall of each year and if so I would think mine would say 2005. What version was your old disk and did it say 2003, and do you know what the differences would be between 3.40 & 3.40A?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:46 PM
100k miles club

yay, just got mine. maybe it's just for so cali owners since there has been major changes lately? then 210 freeway shows up as the 30 freeway prior to this update. i'll start using the new version tomorrow

This one time update is provided to a select number of our Acura family to thank you for driving an Acura. Enjoy your journey
Old 12-02-2004, 01:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hm, I wonder why they're providing updates for some and not others. That's not fair!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM
100k miles club

i replaced the DVD and noticed that the new version is 3.40B
Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

w1n78:

What was your old version?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by Lore
w1n78:

What was your old version?
I had the 3.30 version
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I just got mine today. I didn't do anything special to get it. I've had my car for over a year. Seems to work fine, will look for detailed differences at the weekend when I've got time.

The enclosed letter says:

November 2004

We are pleased to present the enclosed update for your 2004 Acura TL or MDX navigation system (DVD version 3.40). Periodically Acura releases updates containing "points of interest" and updated street information due to new constructoin and other geographical changes. This update provides these enhancements to the system's mapping and information system.

At your convenience, install the DVD and then continue to use your Navigation system. Loading instructions are included wiht the DVD's case. Additional information is available in your vehicle's navigation system owner's manual.

This one time update is provided to a select number of our Acura family to thank you for driving an Acura. Enjoy your journey!

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Acura Automobile Division
Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I wonder what criteria they used to send those discs out. Maybe they count the number of green boxes you have on this forum?

I hope I get one soon!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:52 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Wow. I don't remember Acura every doing this in the past!
Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Acura Canada

Acura Canada doesn't even have the update discs yet. When I asked them a few weeks ago, they told me that it should be available sometime in the first half of next year for sale on the Acura.ca site. No pricing info. It isn't even available through the parts dept at my dealer.

Acura Canada customer service claims the reason for the delay is because our Navi Systems have French capabilities so they need the French translations on the disc first.

My disc is version 3.30G. Would anyone who got the new disc be willing to check if my street is listed on the new navi software? If so, please PM me.... thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dpeease
You still have to press "OK" every time you start up the navi with the new disc. Gawd, that's a PITA!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

ok so now we have 2 CA owners and 1 OH owner (cars bought at different times)... still can't figure out the criteria
Old 12-03-2004, 11:40 AM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TRK9
Acura Canada doesn't even have the update discs yet. When I asked them a few weeks ago, they told me that it should be available sometime in the first half of next year for sale on the Acura.ca site. No pricing info. It isn't even available through the parts dept at my dealer.

Acura Canada customer service claims the reason for the delay is because our Navi Systems have French capabilities so they need the French translations on the disc first.

My disc is version 3.30G. Would anyone who got the new disc be willing to check if my street is listed on the new navi software? If so, please PM me.... thanks in advance.
My biggest gripe with the Navi is the lack of street info in some places in Quebec. Montreal is fine but if you go more than 50Kms east you're toast. There isn't any street info at all for the Montreal-Quebec city corridor.

On a side note: I wish I could download an update off of bittorrent. Not trying to "not pay", I just want the update !NOW!. I'm planning on going to Quebec over the x-mas period and I'm really hoping that the Montreal-Quebec corridor has been mapped for 3.40
Old 12-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Pro

So I just called ACS about getting my address updated in their system and then asked about the free DVD update.

He told me that the people who were given this update was due to them because they had purchased a disc previously and it did not include the updates in this newer version.

Now my question to you guys who got the free disc, Did you purchase an update disc previously? Or is this ACS person full of it?
Old 12-03-2004, 05:50 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
Now my question to you guys who got the free disc, Did you purchase an update disc previously? Or is this ACS person full of it?
i never purchased any other navi DVD. i've been using the same one that came originally with the car
Old 12-03-2004, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
He told me that the people who were given this update was due to them because they had purchased a disc previously and it did not include the updates in this newer version.

The ACS person was bullsh*tting . As I stated above, I have done nothing special other than keep my TL for 14 months. I expect everyone will get a copy of the upgrade, and those who've received it are only the first to do so.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
do the updated versions have solid lines now instead of those dots when the road is unverified? a highway in delaware showed up on the screen as dots but still showed the address while a road in dots said the address was unverified.... was that street still under construction during that time???

03' chavy suburban z71
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
do the updated versions have solid lines now instead of those dots when the road is unverified? a highway in delaware showed up on the screen as dots but still showed the address while a road in dots said the address was unverified.... was that street still under construction during that time???
which road?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeuser
My biggest gripe with the Navi is the lack of street info in some places in Quebec. Montreal is fine but if you go more than 50Kms east you're toast. There isn't any street info at all for the Montreal-Quebec city corridor.

On a side note: I wish I could download an update off of bittorrent. Not trying to "not pay", I just want the update !NOW!. I'm planning on going to Quebec over the x-mas period and I'm really hoping that the Montreal-Quebec corridor has been mapped for 3.40

I was just down in South and North Carolina and there was a lack of street info in some areas. In fact, it was funny one night we were going to a restaurant. It had the restaurant listed but we took another road to get there since we were following my family. We had to go over a bridge on the lake to get there and navi didn't show the bridge! So the car "floated" across the lake. Might be why navi showed a different route since it didn't have the bridge in it's data

I use the navi all the time - even when I know how to get to my destination just for comparison. Recently took back roads which are the fastest to get to Atlantic City. Kept telling me to make a left on to different roads than one I was travelling. When I ignored their directions and it then recalculated, it would then show less mileage and time the way I was going. Why the heck didn't it show my way originally? This type of thing happened before.

Also we had been wondering why certain places are listed - stores, restaurants, convenient stores, etc. and others aren't. We came to the conclusion that places must pay a fee to be listed in the navi data - something like the yellow pages. Are we right?
Old 12-05-2004, 11:14 AM
I6

Sometimes the navi gives directions that are longer than the route I know. I would ignore the navi's directions and go my way and the navi would recalculate to my directions. But I love the navi. I will never buy another car without a navi again.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
Sometimes the navi gives directions that are longer than the route I know. I would ignore the navi's directions and go my way and the navi would recalculate to my directions. But I love the navi. I will never buy another car without a navi again.
Definitely!!

I love the navi!
Old 12-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jrogers345
I use the navi all the time - even when I know how to get to my destination just for comparison. Recently took back roads which are the fastest to get to Atlantic City. Kept telling me to make a left on to different roads than one I was travelling. When I ignored their directions and it then recalculated, it would then show less mileage and time the way I was going. Why the heck didn't it show my way originally? This type of thing happened before.
Two possibilities that come to mind are that maybe you had "Maximize Freeways" activated, or maybe your trip was over 100 miles. If your trip is over 100 miles I believe it will not give you the option of turning off "Maximize Freeways" because the programmers believe that doing so will make the trip take too long. I've activated "Minimize Freeways" on occasion when I have to go somewhere at rush hour, am torn between multiple ways to get there, and want a recommendation as to the best way.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Two possibilities that come to mind are that maybe you had "Maximize Freeways" activated, or maybe your trip was over 100 miles. If your trip is over 100 miles I believe it will not give you the option of turning off "Maximize Freeways" because the programmers believe that doing so will make the trip take too long. I've activated "Minimize Freeways" on occasion when I have to go somewhere at rush hour, am torn between multiple ways to get there, and want a recommendation as to the best way.

I tried every which way. and still kept giving me the long way.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by jrogers345
... Kept telling me to make a left on to different roads than one I was travelling. When I ignored their directions and it then recalculated, it would then show less mileage and time the way I was going. Why the heck didn't it show my way originally? This type of thing happened before.
It's in the manual. If the route is more than 100 miles, it will automatically use freeways/main thorough fares, even if the route is longer.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
TL hacker

Makes perfect sense. Navis are typically designed to simplify the routes. The reasoning is that a tourist in an area will have an easier time trying to find a place if he sticks to the routes the navi calculates. Navis don't typically route people through "shortcuts".

When I was in Montreal I took a "shortcut" because I knew it was the fastest way to get there. It's also fairly complicated if you don't know what you're doing. The navi, of course, kept trying to send me onto the main roads. But I know the combination of side roads and back alleys was actually much faster because I avoided the long traffic lights and only had to put up with stop signs.

If I tried to give the directions to anyone, they'd be lost for sure.

What I would like is if the navi could adapt to shortcuts. Sot of like learning what your preferred route is and then remebering it. Then when your wife takes the car she could use your shortcuts. Trust me, I tried explaining the shortcut to my GF and she just gave up. Even told her to memorize what I was doing. Didn't work, she got lost and had to backtrack. If the navi knew about my shortcut, she could've followed the directions easily.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Racer

If I tried to give the directions to anyone, they'd be lost for sure.

What I would like is if the navi could adapt to shortcuts. Sot of like learning what your preferred route is and then remebering it. Then when your wife takes the car she could use your shortcuts. Trust me, I tried explaining the shortcut to my GF and she just gave up. Even told her to memorize what I was doing. Didn't work, she got lost and had to backtrack. If the navi knew about my shortcut, she could've followed the directions easily.[/QUOTE]

Yes - it would be nice if it kept in it's memory of previous destinations - routes that I've taken on my own. That you could tell navi to "save".

On the whole it's great and basically is for use to get somewhere when you don't know the route. And I've used it that way plenty of times (more than I thought I would when I decided to get Navi) and found it really helpful.

We even found it helpful on a trip recently whereas by looking at the map on the screen, my husband while I was driving checked out other roads besides the one we were on and that way found shortcuts on secondary roads which we used and saved time by avoiding traffic and avoiding going through town.

I also enjoyed it cause on the trip I left home the road atlas LOL! So my anal husband couldn't spend his time with his nose in it or bugging me to look roads up while he drove.

I can see that an updated dvd is necessary. There were highways that have just been completed during the last 6 months which weren't shown. and here in NJ there's new roads, bypasses, etc. being built all the time.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Achance
which road?
New Section of Delaware Route 1 is missing from the last version, as is the road the new DMV is on (just S of Wilmington).

Route 1 was kind of fun, the Navi kept trying to drift off to Old 1, would hop back and then drift off again. It finally gave up and just left breadcrumbs.

(Man v. Machine and I win again)
Old 12-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

anyone else get a new DVD yet?
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Racer

Free Nav update!

Did anyone else get a free Navi DVD update free? CUz I did! Woo hoo!!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102980

right there rets... a few people actually

Quick Reply: Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners