Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by boosteddsm
How often do you stall your car? All my cars are manual and I can't remember the last time I stalled one. No offense, but I would be more worried about what you're doing to stall the car rather than the navi getting reset...
Not often at all, and only in tight city situations where there's more stop and go than you could possibly imagine if you've never driven where I live. Regardless, the if ignition was just on then restarted, say within a few seconds, then there should be something in the NAV system to bypass that startup screen.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard back from Acura Customer Service today. They have not heard of the free navi updates. They even told me that Acura was out of updates. I asked if he was in the same building/address as the update letter and he was.
Just as soon as I order a updated navi DVD, Acura will send me one. I think I will wait until June. There might even be a newer version by then.
Acura is not nearly as nice as Lexus on the phone.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The letter had my name and (IIRC) my VIN. If I still have it, and if I have time this weekend, I'll scan it. I have little time to devote to it this week as I'm pretty busy at work.

Thanks! A lot of us here would appreciate it. Getting the run around from Acura.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Free update in Boston?

Have any Boston area TL'ers received the free navi update? The 3.3 version is useless around the big dig since the roads change every day!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cTLgo
that will NEVER go away
Its gone in the new RL.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just called my dealer and they told me that there was a problem with it so they have to make a new one that will be out soon they would'nt even give me one. The guy is probably talking about the one the people in california are getting it seams as iff we dont yet have it on the east coast
Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Registered TL Lover

they also said that you had to buy it
Old 12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by claud
Acura is not nearly as nice as Lexus on the phone.
100% AGREE ON THIS ONE
Old 12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The letter had my name and (IIRC) my VIN. If I still have it, and if I have time this weekend, I'll scan it. I have little time to devote to it this week as I'm pretty busy at work.
Thank...
Old 12-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
I just called my dealer and they told me that there was a problem with it so they have to make a new one that will be out soon they would'nt even give me one. The guy is probably talking about the one the people in california are getting it seams as iff we dont yet have it on the east coast
I don't have any problem with the new navi disc. Maybe some of the discs sent out were coasters? Sounds like more dealer bull to me.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered TL Lover

Bob your probably right...
Old 12-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

Dear Santa,

All I want....
Old 12-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Acura letter

Here's a copy of my letter from Acura with identifying info removed. HTH.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken7
Maybe its Acura's way of compensating us for vibration issues?
If it is, then they better effin hook me up...

FWIW, I've had my TL for over a year and no sign of any update DVD...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
How about we set a time when we are all free and call ACS at the same time and ask them where our free DVD updated Navi Disc is?
LOL!! Flash Mob!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Zeuser
Makes perfect sense. Navis are typically designed to simplify the routes. The reasoning is that a tourist in an area will have an easier time trying to find a place if he sticks to the routes the navi calculates. Navis don't typically route people through "shortcuts".
OTOH, some of them will calculate the most cockamamie routes.

The first road trip I took in my 2002 IS-300 involved a trip across Oklahoma. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the nav was set to "avoid toll roads" so it pulled me off of I-44 and routed me through the southeast corner of Kansas via secondary roads. Feeling adventurous, I decided "what the heck" and followed the route . BIG mistake.

It turns out the map database was out of date, and the road it wanted me to take simply did not exist. So I wound up lost in rural Kansas and had to stop at a convenience store and buy a paper map - how ironic is that?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by fuque
OTOH, some of them will calculate the most cockamamie routes.
Like when I pulled up in front of my home, selected [Go Home], and that enchanting female voice responded:

"Make U-Turn, Destination Is On The Left"

Old 12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
Advanced

So, my gf doesn't like the Navi and since she knows Miami pretty well she's usually my navigator around the area (I just moved here). She was in the mood for Dairy Queen and so I thought I'd just show her how good the Navi was. Chose one that was pretty close to where we were and just saw railroad tracks, office bulidings and some houses. Didn't think anything of it and thought it was a little further until the Navi said to "Make a U-Turn". Couldn't believe it. :wtf: It directed me to an office building. Called the number to see who would answer and it turned out to be a lawyer firm. Felt pretty embarrased. Girlfriend kept asking "So who knows more than your Navi?"
I want a new Navi Update DVD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol....tekageek....thats pretty funny...
Old 12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
ACS said the free update was mailed to those that completed a survey.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Hmmm somebody from the dealership asked me to take a survey for the dealership. Gonna have to talk to the dealership.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lindros2
ACS said the free update was mailed to those that completed a survey.
I did filled out a survey from Acura...but never realized that I would get a new Navi disc afterwards...
Old 12-28-2004, 03:40 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I filled out a navi survey. I still haven't received my navi disc update yet.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

I did the survey as well. But it didnt have our return address on the form.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Black

After telling Acura "you're f'ing useless" 10 or 15 times (word for word), I'd rather just burn DVD's (dual-layer of course) than give Acura or Alpine a penny of my money.

Based on the fact that I have version 3.10 (yes, 3.10) and Acura was worthless, I'm at my wits end.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Instructor

I filled out that survey and have yet to get anything as well, I hope they remember the little people.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
BOOK EM

When I called Acura, they said the survey was sent to a" select few". He also said the "white" disc is the latest version instead of the yellow disc.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Black

Acura client services can go outside and.... bleep

I'd like to know how they determine "select few" ? Being that they haven't done crap about anything (dealer has done everything), it's probably some voodoo black magic.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pilot guy
I just bought a new 05 navi on friday the 26th of November. It was built the week of the 14th in November and my disk is 3.40A and has printed 2004 on it. I am under the impression that my disk is not the latest version that will be on most of the 05 TLs when they are built. the new versions are supposed to come out in the fall of each year and if so I would think mine would say 2005. What version was your old disk and did it say 2003, and do you know what the differences would be between 3.40 & 3.40A?
I too just purchased my new '05 TL (Dec 15th) and it was born Nov '05. My Navi disk is 3.40a also. I'm told there is a version 3.40b and a newer version coming out late January. So, I'm hoping Honda/Acura will send me a newer updated disk. Perhaps I'll call cust service and make a pitch for an updated disk. It only makes sense for us to get an upgrade to the latest version. I was shocked on a recent trip to Wisconsin to see how many places are not mapped.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced

I called a friend of mine who bought an 05 TL in Dec. 2004. The Navi DVD date is 20040714 (I am nor sure it's 3.40a or 3.40b). You can get this date from "set up" - tab "4" - then "system info.", from the navi screen.

I bought my 04 TL in Aug 2004, the date of the DVD is 20030902, version 3.30G, it's orange in color.

I called ACS, asked them about the letter that came with the update DVD. I was told that Acura/AHMC had RANDOMLY picked some 04 TL & MDX owners to send out a special survey, and the enclosed DVD update was a "gift".

I then asked if I can participate the survey, I was told that the selection was random and it has ended anyway.

I asked to be contacted by a manager, was given a case number.

Someone should call me within 1-2 business days.

My friend offered to burn a copy of her DVD to me. Has someone try that already? Will it work? Or it has some copy-right protection on it?

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a navi survey only. I didn't get any enclosed DVD update.
For the people that did get the DVD update, did you get the update with the survey?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by go_blue
I called a friend of mine who bought an 05 TL in Dec. 2004. The Navi DVD date is 20040714 (I am nor sure it's 3.40a or 3.40b). You can get this date from "set up" - tab "4" - then "system info.", from the navi screen.

I bought my 04 TL in Aug 2004, the date of the DVD is 20030902, version 3.30G, it's orange in color.

I called ACS, asked them about the letter that came with the update DVD. I was told that Acura/AHMC had RANDOMLY picked some 04 TL & MDX owners to send out a special survey, and the enclosed DVD update was a "gift".

I then asked if I can participate the survey, I was told that the selection was random and it has ended anyway.

I asked to be contacted by a manager, was given a case number.

Someone should call me within 1-2 business days.

My friend offered to burn a copy of her DVD to me. Has someone try that already? Will it work? Or it has some copy-right protection on it?

Thanks for any info.
It is version 3.40a. I took possession of my '05 TL Dec 15 and that was the version I got. The latest version is 3.40b and a newer version is due out in January '05 I'm told by my service manager. It is not the policy of Honda/Acura to send out disks to owners who purchase an auto 'near' an update disk version. You can call CS and make a case for the update and it will be handled on a case by case basis. Good luck
Old 01-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by golfingguru
Have any Boston area TL'ers received the free navi update? The 3.3 version is useless around the big dig since the roads change every day!
Hmmm, if the roads change everyday you're going through a lotta updates . . . <grin>
Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

I don't get it....

Originally Posted by lindros2
Acura client services can go outside and.... bleep

I'd like to know how they determine "select few" ? Being that they haven't done crap about anything (dealer has done everything), it's probably some voodoo black magic.
If they're trying to get accurate information from a survey, they would have to use a random sample. The "select few" would then be determined by fate, God, Allah, or whatever diety in which you believe. You might try praying really hard and fate might be kinder.

I really can't believe that so many people on here are so upset about this issue. I run my own business, and I sometimes decide to do something "nice" for some of my customers. I don't have to, but I do it anyway. Luckily, my customers are not so greedy that they all then come pounding on my door demanding that I do the same thing for them.

Guess what? Acura decided to do something "nice" when they sent out a survey. They could have waited until a bunch of people bought the navi disk and then sent out a followup survey to those people to find their satisfaction with it (with no free DVD sent). It would have only cost Acura the price of the paper and the postage. Instead, they likely chose to send a random sample of people the pending upgrade disk and ask them how they like it. Does that mean that Acura should send the free upgrade to everyone with an '04 TL? In my humble opinion, NO.

I guess that I could be greedy and call Acura to demand my free upgrade too. The only problem is that I was raised better than that. I appreciate Acura's efforts to build a great car and to do these "nice" things occasionally, even if I don't always benefit from it.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by openmind29
If they're trying to get accurate information from a survey, they would have to use a random sample. The "select few" would then be determined by fate, God, Allah, or whatever diety in which you believe. You might try praying really hard and fate might be kinder.

I really can't believe that so many people on here are so upset about this issue. I run my own business, and I sometimes decide to do something "nice" for some of my customers. I don't have to, but I do it anyway. Luckily, my customers are not so greedy that they all then come pounding on my door demanding that I do the same thing for them.

Guess what? Acura decided to do something "nice" when they sent out a survey. They could have waited until a bunch of people bought the navi disk and then sent out a followup survey to those people to find their satisfaction with it (with no free DVD sent). It would have only cost Acura the price of the paper and the postage. Instead, they likely chose to send a random sample of people the pending upgrade disk and ask them how they like it. Does that mean that Acura should send the free upgrade to everyone with an '04 TL? In my humble opinion, NO.

I guess that I could be greedy and call Acura to demand my free upgrade too. The only problem is that I was raised better than that. I appreciate Acura's efforts to build a great car and to do these "nice" things occasionally, even if I don't always benefit from it.
I agree to some degree but Acura should have a stated policy concerning this subject. "We will upgrade new purchased Navi equipped autos if the purchase falls within three months of a new navi release. Or something to that effect. Hey you can't give one kid a new toy and ignore the other. AND AND drop the price of these disks to something more reasonable! Frankly, I think Acura buyers should be given at least one update for free (built into the purchase price and that would solve the problem above) and charged something around $100 (sweet price point) for future upgrades. NOW that makes sense to me. Also if someone takes the time to fill out a survey then they should also be rewarded for their time. Another criteria for a navi upgrade.

My humble opinion . . .

PS why aren't the emoticons showing up on my screen anymore, Mr Moderator?
Old 01-15-2005, 01:02 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SHIET , where is my free DVD disc update~
Old 01-15-2005, 05:36 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I spoke with a supervisor at ACS. He told me that 'special' survey that yielded free DVD updates was a special promotion that only went out to about 100 or so. I duly let him know that we here on the forum as less than 1% of all TL owners out there in the world are the ones responsible for bringing problems, design flaws, and missing features that defy common sense to Acura's attention, and therefore a DVD update even every 2 years if not 1 would be fair and reasonable compensation. He claimed that he hinmself rarely looks at the forum but assumed engineering checks us out regularly. He further went on to claim that he himself couldn't get one for free or at a discount as an Acura employee if he stood on his head. I wonder.........

Anyone got a DVD burner out there that handles dual-layer DVD's?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Advanced

has anyone tried burning a copy of the NAVI DVD and trying that out?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:34 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i asked my dealer today, they said i have to buy it~ and there is no much different with the old one...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
PS why aren't the emoticons showing up on my screen anymore, Mr Moderator?
Not all the smilies were enabled when the site was updated by the admins.

Quick Reply: Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners