Updated Navi Disc for 04 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Not all the smilies were enabled when the site was updated by the admins.
All I see are red X boxes where any of them should be displayed within any post.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is an interesting way to get an update:

If you really don't like Acura, and feel cheated by the promotion, just simply take a 05 for a test drive and swap the disk. They will not realize. (BTW pray, that there is no serial number on those DVD).

Disclaimer:
I do not promote or encourage theft.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBadGUy
Here is an interesting way to get an update:

If you really don't like Acura, and feel cheated by the promotion, just simply take a 05 for a test drive and swap the disk. They will not realize. (BTW pray, that there is no serial number on those DVD).

Disclaimer:
I do not promote or encourage theft.
You just promoted and encouraged grand larceny! NOT a good thing. Some bozo reading this will do that! Then the person who innocently purchases that vehicle will be screwed! And oh yes they make a copy of yer license so it wouldn't be hard to back track on he test drove the vehicle and well you can take it from there . . . I'm sure this web site isn't designed for this type of creative suggestions. Correct Mr. Moderator?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
A couple thoughts:

1. You can't replace a 2005's disc with a 2004 disc. The navi version reset (to an older version) has to be done by the dealer (or so they say). I imagine a hard reset of some sort (although the diagnostics screen has a lot of stuff in it).

2. 99% of cars available for test drive (other than dealer demos) don't have the navi disc installed (see: Acura, VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc.). Since it's not a selling point of the car (quality of nav) and can be a distraction they expect you to go on faith.

3. grand larceny is much larger than a $185 disc (which actually has a much lower assessed value in a court of law - like $1.00).

I still would enjoy putting the screws to Acura.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Advanced

I just looked on the Navi web site - the most current version is 3.40C. My old version is 1.04. I bought my car in March '04. How could that many versions have passed if they only release it in the fall?

I guess I'm going to be really pissed if I don't get a free upgrade. NO, I'm going to be doubly pissed if I don't get TWO free upgrades. (My wife has a TSX).

Which reminds me, one two major exceptions, the TL and TSX navi systems seem to be the same. The exceptions are that the TSX has a neat Trip info. ( A lot better than the TL midi info, imo. And the other exception is that the TSX has a previous addresses screen which allows you to delete the previous addresses.

I 'm going to put the TSX cd into the TL and see what happens. :-) Anyone done this?

Regards,
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R11S
I 'm going to put the TSX cd into the TL and see what happens. :-) Anyone done this?
Forgot to mention, I received a survey, too.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DMZ
Anyone got a DVD burner out there that handles dual-layer DVD's?
kinda illegal no???...btw dual layer burners are dirt cheap now so if you wanna backup your existing dvd its possible.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Instructor

I just looked on the Navi web site - the most current version is 3.40C. My old version is 1.04. I bought my car in March '04. How could that many versions have passed if they only release it in the fall?

I guess I'm going to be really pissed if I don't get a free upgrade. NO, I'm going to be doubly pissed if I don't get TWO free upgrades. (My wife has a TSX).

Which reminds me, one two major exceptions, the TL and TSX navi systems seem to be the same. The exceptions are that the TSX has a neat Trip info. ( A lot better than the TL midi info, imo. And the other exception is that the TSX has a previous addresses screen which allows you to delete the previous addresses.

Regards,
Two things.

1) I don't think version 1.04 is the same version as the DVD disc version. When you display the system version within the Navi it shows something like 1.04. But when you remove the disc and check the writing printed on the disc, its probably 3.30x. You can also check the disc version by going through the maintenance (hidden) menu.

2) The TSX, MDX and TL NAVI DVDs are the same.

I was at the NAIAS (Detroit) this weekend and checked the Navi disc in the TSX it is version 3.40A. My home address (street) has been added to that version.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRK9
Two things.

1) I don't think version 1.04 is the same version as the DVD disc version. When you display the system version within the Navi it shows something like 1.04. But when you remove the disc and check the writing printed on the disc, its probably 3.30x. You can also check the disc version by going through the maintenance (hidden) menu.

2) The TSX, MDX and TL NAVI DVDs are the same.

I was at the NAIAS (Detroit) this weekend and checked the Navi disc in the TSX it is version 3.40A. My home address (street) has been added to that version.
Ahh, thanks. I'll check both cd's tomorrow... Then the software must know which model to display, otherwise I'd get the tsx trip function on the tl.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:53 AM
Advanced

whats illegal about backing up your current navi disc?
Old 01-18-2005, 05:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by saltyFISHscales
whats illegal about backing up your current navi disc?
I haven't read anyone saying it was illegal! What IS illegal is swapping out a disc in a test drive car AND making a copy of your disc to distribute to other owners. Same as music.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Strange things with NAVI

I love my NAVI and it has saved me many times with very good directions. Recently I travelled from Buffalo to Myrtle Beach. I always take the West Virginia route and this is how the NAVI told me to go. I made a pit stop in Pennsylvania and when I turned the car on, the NAVI recomputed the route and wanted me to go through Washington, D.C. I continued on my usual route and when I stopped in Virginia the NAVI recomputed to the correct route (via WV).
Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 PM
7th Gear

Dealer swap navi

thank, neuronbob for your post # 93. I printed that letter and took it to the Acura dealer. The dealer exchange my navi disk "3.30G" for an 3.40C.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:47 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Ahh, thanks. I'll check both cd's tomorrow... Then the software must know which model to display, otherwise I'd get the tsx trip function on the tl.

There are like 5 different files on the Disc that are related to the model car you have. The only way the NAVI knows which one is the right one is based on whatever version your running currently. So if your running the TL Version, then it looks on the DVD for the TL ROM File. TSX Version, TSX ROM File, etc.

Someone here on the forums took the Accord File and renamed it to the TL File and burned that to a CD and when he stuck it in, it updated his ROM to the Accord ROM and he got the Trip Meter but lost other stuff. Boot Screen was H instead of A as well. He was able to then do the opposite in order to get it back to the TL version.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Casper was that on a third generation TL? I didn't think anyone has made a working copy of a third generation disk yet.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Ahh, I see he just loaded a different BIOS basically for the system, very cool.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DMZ
I spoke with a supervisor at ACS. He told me that 'special' survey that yielded free DVD updates was a special promotion that only went out to about 100 or so. I duly let him know that we here on the forum as less than 1% of all TL owners out there in the world are the ones responsible for bringing problems, design flaws, and missing features that defy common sense to Acura's attention, and therefore a DVD update even every 2 years if not 1 would be fair and reasonable compensation. He claimed that he hinmself rarely looks at the forum but assumed engineering checks us out regularly. He further went on to claim that he himself couldn't get one for free or at a discount as an Acura employee if he stood on his head. I wonder.........

I am a contractor at Honda and can testify that the Navi DVD is not available to employees. There are no free or discounted discs. Everyone has to purchase them the same way. I wish it were different, but that's the way it is.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does someone know how to find out the latest version?

I thought they only updated the dics once a year but it's obviously more often than that. It may be that the major update disc is only released once a year. It could be the the major updates are 3.30, 3.40, 3.50 and the letters next to them indicate minor changes?

I purchased my TL on 2/27/05. I looked at the disc last night and it's version 3.40 (c). If they update in the next few months I'll try to use the "90 day rule" (is that a real rule? ) someone mentioned earlier in the thread to get an updated version.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SP150P
Does someone know how to find out the latest version?

I thought they only updated the dics once a year but it's obviously more often than that. It may be that the major update disc is only released once a year. It could be the the major updates are 3.30, 3.40, 3.50 and the letters next to them indicate minor changes?

I purchased my TL on 2/27/05. I looked at the disc last night and it's version 3.40 (c). If they update in the next few months I'll try to use the "90 day rule" (is that a real rule? ) someone mentioned earlier in the thread to get an updated version.
I purchased my '05 TL December 15th, 2005 and it had version 3.40b. I believe in Jan they came out with 3.40c and I did NOT get an update. I think Acura is stingy in that they do not have an upgrade rule for the Navi discs. They should at least prorate the price of an upgrade by the 12 months rule. Reduce the upgrade price by a percent of time of the car purchase. Hell actually, they ought to throw in the next upgrade free be it a month or 12 months from date of car purchase that would satisfy everyone. Otherwise you feel kinda cheated to buy a car with an old navi disk when a few months later an upgrade is available.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SnappyPappy
I purchased my '05 TL December 15th, 2005 and it had version 3.40b. I believe in Jan they came out with 3.40c and I did NOT get an update. I think Acura is stingy in that they do not have an upgrade rule for the Navi discs. They should at least prorate the price of an upgrade by the 12 months rule. Reduce the upgrade price by a percent of time of the car purchase. Hell actually, they ought to throw in the next upgrade free be it a month or 12 months from date of car purchase that would satisfy everyone. Otherwise you feel kinda cheated to buy a car with an old navi disk when a few months later an upgrade is available.

I bought my 05 TL on Dec 29th and I rec'd the navi update this week in the mail. The car came with version 3.40B and I got version 3.40C.. It was sent by Acura Canada.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:29 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by audi_to_TL
I bought my 05 TL on Dec 29th and I rec'd the navi update this week in the mail. The car came with version 3.40B and I got version 3.40C.. It was sent by Acura Canada.
damn canadians get it all, free health care too! damn you! hahahaha j/k

care to burn it and send me a copy? =)
Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Intermediate

I purchased my '05 TL December 15th, 2005 and it had version 3.40b. I believe in Jan they came out with 3.40c and I did NOT get an update.
I was originally told a new version is released once a year. Then I started reading this forum and it seems they're released much more often. A car purchased in July 04 had version 3.40 (a). Your version in a car purchased in December 04 was 3.40 (b) and my version for the car I purchased in February was 3.40(c).

It seems like the new versions are released closer to quarterly rather than yearly. Does that mean if you want the most recent disc you need to pay $189 every 3 or 4 months?

I still can't find the site that states the newest version #. We know it's 3.40 (c) but what about in June?

You can order a new disc at https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Acuradvdsales/naviorder.php. This site has very little information regarding the version or what the new version has that the old one doesn't. Maybe it's buried in the site somewhere. I couldn't get the FAQ link to work.

All I know is a lot of major shopping centers that have been around in my area for about 4 years are not on the latest disc. Makes me wonder about other areas I'm not familiar with.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

I purchased my '05 TL December 15th, 2005 and it had version 3.40b. I believe in Jan they came out with 3.40c and I did NOT get an update.
I was originally told a new version is released once a year. Then I started reading this forum and it seems they're released much more often. A car purchased in July 04 had version 3.40 (a). Your version in a car purchased in December 04 was 3.40 (b) and my version for the car I purchased in February was 3.40(c).

It seems like the new versions are released closer to quarterly rather than yearly. Does that mean if you want the most recent disc you need to pay $189 every 3 or 4 months?

I still can't find the site that states the newest version #. We know it's 3.40 (c) but what about in June?

You can order a new disc at https://iweb.alpine-usa.com/Acuradvdsales/naviorder.php but this site has very little information regarding the version or what the new version has that the old one doesn't. Maybe it's buried in the site somewhere. I couldn't get the FAQ link to work.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I used to have a 01 CL-s with navi, updates were released more like every 2 yrs. So you are lucky they are putting anything out at all.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Achance
I used to have a 01 CL-s with navi, updates were released more like every 2 yrs. So you are lucky they are putting anything out at all.
If the updates were free I'd agree we're lucky. At $189 per disc I don't think luck has anything to do with the matter.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SP150P
If the updates were free I'd agree we're lucky. At $189 per disc I don't think luck has anything to do with the matter.
Has anyone actually contacted Acura USA (Honda) to find out exactly what their policy is? It might not hurt to mention Acura of Canada is graciously supplying their customers with updated navi discs within a reasonable time window of purchasing the car. I'm thinking $189 is pretty stiff for an updated disk! I'm just not gonna pay that not knowing just how important an update it is. I'm finding all of my addresses so far with 3.40b. Now if they changed that damn startup screen with the OK button gone then that might be worth it.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Whatever they say goes... you never know...

Has anyone actually contacted Acura USA (Honda) to find out exactly what their policy is? It might not hurt to mention Acura of Canada is graciously supplying their customers with updated navi discs within a reasonable time window of purchasing the car. I'm thinking $189 is pretty stiff for an updated disk! I'm just not gonna pay that not knowing just how important an update it is. I'm finding all of my addresses so far with 3.40b. Now if they changed that damn startup screen with the OK button gone then that might be worth it.
I did call for this issue, twice. The first one said never heard of it. Another one told me that only selective owners could recieve that item as the free gift if this is "true", and Acura has no plan to officially mail any free DVD to any owners yet.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Acura Canada is only giving this update for '05 TL and TSX.

For all others it $280 CDN or about $230 US ... + tax (15% where I live)...
When I picked up my TL, '05s where just starting to show up, so Acura/Honda Canada is no better than Acura USA. The only reason the 05s are getting this update is because of a glitch in the software, the map info is the same for '05.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Cruisin'

ACS Call

Hi All,

I just called ACS and the "Regional Manager" I spoke to was useless. She checked on the update that was sent out to people and claimed they sent them out and asked people to return a survey (after the fact she thought). I demanded to speak to a supervisor but she wouldn't pass me along and just took my phone# for my local RM to call me (Boston) back.

I think it's bullshit that I bought my '04 TL in August and when I drove home through Boston the entire Big Dig area was not mapped properly. I believe that updated versions were available very shortly after my purchase and I think that would entitle me to a free upgrade.

Anyway, I doubt ACS will actually send me one so I'm looking to acquire one by other means. I have a dual-layer burner.. anyone out there rip an image yet?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bosoxfan
Hi All,

I just called ACS and the "Regional Manager" I spoke to was useless. She checked on the update that was sent out to people and claimed they sent them out and asked people to return a survey (after the fact she thought). I demanded to speak to a supervisor but she wouldn't pass me along and just took my phone# for my local RM to call me (Boston) back.

I think it's bullshit that I bought my '04 TL in August and when I drove home through Boston the entire Big Dig area was not mapped properly. I believe that updated versions were available very shortly after my purchase and I think that would entitle me to a free upgrade.

Anyway, I doubt ACS will actually send me one so I'm looking to acquire one by other means. I have a dual-layer burner.. anyone out there rip an image yet?

Thanks
I can appreciate you feeling ripped, as do I with my '05 purchased in mid Dec and an update out in Jan. But asking others to basically expose themselves to fraud by illegally copying and distributing intellecticual property is not a wise path to take. Especially in a public forum. Regardless of what low esteem you hold Acura in this matter (and it's not their product anyway) with the Navi software you might just need to bite the bullet and purchase an upgrade to handle those areas not currently mapped. I plan on doing the same after a year of ownership. Yeah it huts but life is that way sometimes.

PS anyone consider a petition to Acura on this matter . . .?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Just got the Nav DVD disc update in the mail from Acura. Bought my RL in Nov 04. Did not ask for it and was not expecting it. Found this forum to find out what the update was all about. USA edition for a USA car, not Canadian car.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Is the update from 3.30 to 3.40 strictly in regards to roads or are there any significant functional/software updates I should be aware of?

In other words, is it worth the $189 or not?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by DMZ
I spoke with a supervisor at ACS. He told me that 'special' survey that yielded free DVD updates was a special promotion that only went out to about 100 or so. I duly let him know that we here on the forum as less than 1% of all TL owners out there in the world are the ones responsible for bringing problems, design flaws, and missing features that defy common sense to Acura's attention, and therefore a DVD update even every 2 years if not 1 would be fair and reasonable compensation. He claimed that he hinmself rarely looks at the forum but assumed engineering checks us out regularly. He further went on to claim that he himself couldn't get one for free or at a discount as an Acura employee if he stood on his head. I wonder.........

I've responded to a NUMBER of Acura surveys (both service related as well as apparently "ad-hoc"). Never once have I received ANYTHING in the mail...I wnat a new NAVI DVD for christmas!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:52 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Originally Posted by Kickbucket1
Just got the Nav DVD disc update in the mail from Acura. Bought my RL in Nov 04. Did not ask for it and was not expecting it. Found this forum to find out what the update was all about. USA edition for a USA car, not Canadian car.
Ummm, I'm from the US and could probably make great use of it. Care to sell it to me for a $25 profit (Free + $25 = $25)? Heck, I'll even pay for the shipping to get it across the boarder!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 AM
2nd Gear

French Language Navi in US?

Is it possible to get the French language option for a US 04TL? It would be a nice addition.

Would that reside in the DVD or in some firmware? If DVD, would the Canadian version still be useful in the US?