Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 Months (Part 1)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No luck on my first try. Apparently, because I bought my car certified pre-owned, there was a different name on the account for the 90-day free trial. The rep told me that I'm not eligible since I'm not the original owner of that radio. Grrr....

I'm going to try calling again in the hopes a different rep will give me a different story. If all else fails, I can get it for $7/month since we already have another radio on account there. I wish Acura had gone with Sirius instead of XM. I never had any trouble with them, I like the programming better, and the sound quality was better on my Sirius radio. I told the rep I didn't want to commit to a long-term contract because I'm going to switch to Sirius the first chance I get. He wasn't fazed, of course.

I mentioned my Acura dealer told me about the $60/year deal and the rep said, "Your dealer has no authority to offer special XM pricing. Only XM can do that. Your dealer was incorrect."
Old 01-30-2005, 01:13 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Second time was a real charm. I told the rep my dealer gave me a code last November when I bought the car. I gave him the code and he happily set me up for the $60/year deal. In addition, he made my TL's radio the primary radio and moved my wife's XM radio to the secondary and reduced its price from $10/mo to $7 on the family deal.

Woo!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by Booms
Hey DarkWraith, I got the deal about 2 weeks before my expiration as well. My credit card was not charged until the actual date my offer ended, so I assume you will not receive the bill until the offer expires. Doesn't hurt to double check with them though to make sure.
JUST got my bill... $60 even... No additional tax or anything... FYI
Old 02-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Golf & Technology Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

FYI:

My 3 month trial expires on Feb 4th.

Just called 30 minutes ago, was on hold for 11 minutes, but easily got the $60 deal. I just mentioned the promotion for $60 per year and the operator said "no problem".

So, this deal is still available.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

My free trial period ran out this afternoon. I just called and asked for the "Win back" deal. Bad idea. The operator said Win Back is only available if you have been without service for a minimum of six months. I told him "my dealer told me about the promotion," and he explained that they've been having a lot of problems with dealers suggesting people ask for that special. He was adamant that I did not qualify, and there was no way he could offer it.

So I hung up on him and called back 10 seconds later. I simply told Operator #2 my service just expired and I was interested in the $60/year deal. I did not mention "Win back" or that my dealer told me to call. From, he said he had to check my account to see if I qualify. From the questions he asked me, I think the only qualifiers are (1) that you bought a car that comes with preinstalled XM, and (2) that your 90 trial has already expired. The only other question he asked was if I wanted him to bill me or pay by credit card. No problems whatsoever.

Apparently, the term "Win Back" is now a dirty word. They may also be insisting that you wait for your 90 trial to expire.

P.S. THANKS to whomever discovered this deal. $60/yr is about what XM is actually worth.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jj69
My free trial period ran out this afternoon. I just called and asked for the "Win back" deal. Bad idea. The operator said Win Back is only available if you have been without service for a minimum of six months. I told him "my dealer told me about the promotion," and he explained that they've been having a lot of problems with dealers suggesting people ask for that special. He was adamant that I did not qualify, and there was no way he could offer it.

So I hung up on him and called back 10 seconds later. I simply told Operator #2 my service just expired and I was interested in the $60/year deal. I did not mention "Win back" or that my dealer told me to call. From, he said he had to check my account to see if I qualify. From the questions he asked me, I think the only qualifiers are (1) that you bought a car that comes with preinstalled XM, and (2) that your 90 trial has already expired. The only other question he asked was if I wanted him to bill me or pay by credit card. No problems whatsoever.

Apparently, the term "Win Back" is now a dirty word. They may also be insisting that you wait for your 90 trial to expire.
Humm... My trail period expired around Xmas time and I called on Sunday saying I wanted the $60/year 'winback' deal I had heard about. I had no problems at all getting it. Either it depends on what customer service agent you get, or the rules changed on Monday. BTW, I agree, XM is worth $5/month, but for me, it's not worth $10/month (don't use it that much).
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
8th Gear

I just got off of the phone with XM.

Since I've only owned my car a month, I do not qualify for it... yet. However, the gentleman that I talked to said he was going to note the account for me and when I do call back to renew service (within a day or two of expiration should be good), that they will honor the $60/yr deal (he's noting my account and I got his name so I have some proof that I called ). I also got the whole explanation on how the dealerships shouldn't be telling the customers about the deal, etc.

I'm getting XM for my wife's car and her's will be the $6.99/month since we qualify for the family plan.

Add that with Opie & Anthony and I'm a happy camper!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Instructor

I called after reading this thread, and got my $60 on the first try! The operator asked me what car I have, and I was thinking, crap, i'm going to get denied, but she didn't seem to care that I have the TL.

Thanks for sharing this info~
Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Cruisin'

second time was the charm by using the "Winback" promotion line --- First time failed using "promotion for $60 per year" - go figure!!! I'm sure it also depended on the person on the other end... Anyways...thanks again everyone for the tips
Old 02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 714tman
Just added 1 year at $60. Didn't even need to mention a code. Just said the word "promotion."
Dang! I got $10 worth of misc taxes, fees and other shiites
Old 02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DarkWraith33
JUST got my bill... $60 even... No additional tax or anything... FYI

Dang, I got an additional $10 of misc fees, taxes and other shiites
Old 02-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Instructor

well this still works, activated today, $60 even, no additional taxes in NY..thanks !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

I just called. No luck. I was transferred to some other dept. I told him I had heard about the deal. He said I had to be actually offered the deal, not just hear about it. I'll either try back or see what they say after by trial expires in 10 days.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by MikesRSX
I just called. No luck. I was transferred to some other dept. I told him I had heard about the deal. He said I had to be actually offered the deal, not just hear about it. I'll either try back or see what they say after by trial expires in 10 days.
I got the same response. I called again a few minutes later and reached a different, more compassionate agent and got the deal. In addition to that, we made it the primary account so we could know my wife's subscription down to $6.99/month under the family plan. It's the luck of the draw with the agents, I suppose.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Just to put in my two cents, I called XM to get the "$60 a year deal" and got transferred to some other department as well. The agent said that she had to speak to her manager. Once she came back, she said that your account has to be expired for 6 months before you can get the deal. She had a little attitude about it, too. Like she was tired of people asking.

Of couse, it seem to depend on what agent you get. For what it's worth, I used the "I heard it at the dealership routine." It didn't get me anywhere. Interesting indeed.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

i called today and said i had to only wait 5 months AFTER the radio expires to get the "winback" promotion. oh well, ill try again in a few days i guess.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Update...I got the deal

Well, to be honest, my wife got the deal this morning (2/8/05). She called and said that she "...wanted to renew our XM subscription for $60 a year." She made no mention about hearing it from the dealership nor the promotion code from page 1 of this thread. The guy on the phone said "oh, you want to renew with the promotion?" to which she simply replied "yes." She gave him our information (name and radio id), and he proceeded to set it up.

She charged it to the credit card. The agent stated that it would be $60 exactly and that there was not applicable taxes (in case anyone is wondering, we live in Colorado). She didn't have to be transferred anywhere and she called the main 800 phone number.

The only thing that is a little different is that the year starts today. Technically, my free 3 months should have another 2 weeks left, but I don't really care as long as I got this deal.

It will be interesting to see what happens in a year. On a side note, XM should really be careful about its customer service. There really is no reason that some can get this deal and other can not; based solely on who they get on the phone. It shows a lack of consistency which could irritate some. If this is only for those whose subscription exipred more than 5 or 6 months, then fine. Just apply it consistantly. However, it doesn't really bother me and I would have renewed eventually anyway since FM here in the valley that I current live has really lousy reception; but I digress.

So to some it up, add me to the list of those that got the deal. As has been said by those before, if you don't get the deal, hang up and try again. You will eventually get someone that will give it to you. You don't need the promotion code and you don't need special knowledge of the deal. My wife doesn't read these forums and all I told her was there is a $60 a year deal that some people are getting. That was it.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by OmegaTL
It will be interesting to see what happens in a year..
The agent I got said it would automatically be renewed at the normal
$9.99/mo price after a year.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:10 PM
9th Gear

Promotion Code?

I was told (rather unpleasantly) that they would not honor the "$60 deal" (my words, unless I had a promotion code from the dealer.

Pxxs on them, I wanted Sirius anyway.

Bill Miller
St. Louis
Old 02-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

It does work. Got it in one call. Had to be transferred to another rep and the period starts after the trial periods ends (in 10days). $60 for a year and then they will automatically charge $9.99/mo after that. You need to call them to cancel service anytime after the year. I didn't mention any promotions except I heard information that there was a $60 promotion after the 90 day trial.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Racer

im gonna call XM either tomorrow or friday, and hopefully get the $60 a year deal. I wont settle for anythnig less, even if it takes 40 phone calls. BTW - is there a direct number you guys can give me to call?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Instructor

The number that my wife called and got the $60 a year deal was:

(800) 929-2100

The hours of operation are supposedly Monday-Saturday 6AM - 2AM EST and Sunday 8AM - 8 PM EST. She called on a Monday morning.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Racer

I called 800 967-2346. The first rep filtered the call, once I mentioned $60 promotion for a year, he had to transfer me to someone else. The second person asked for my radio code, looked something up on their computer and said that I was eligible for the promotion. It was pretty harmless.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Straight outta JERSEY ...

i just did it. it was a joke .... he asked if i received a mailer about the promotion ... i said yes ..... and then he activated the promotion in my account. I had been paying for the service for a month or to now ... but he said that they will add the difference and i'm good for the rest of the year
Old 02-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Cruisin'

I called, got switched to the retention department, was asked for and gave them my radio code, and got turned down. I was told that the $60 promo could not be combined with the 90-day free promo I got when I bought the TL. That promo was stopped by XM after 58 days, and then put back after I called and complained about that. Too bad there are such inconsistencies with their people.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Racer

How many attempts did you make? Some people had to try maybe a couple of times and got it. Inconsistent?, Yes, so is every rep. Im sure a lot of them will let it go through and some won't.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Instructor

I'm at work & don't have my radio code, but will try when I get home, I just payed whatever the regular price was back in December, I got to visit this site more!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

I've tried calling three times now and have not been successful. Once they asked for a series of numbers after the "winback" promotion code.

Once they said that dealers are not supposed to be offering this as it expired quite some time ago.

The third time, they just couldn't find the promotion in their system. After looking for about 5 minutes, they said there was a $60 promotion, but that would only apply after the acct. was inactive for 50 days. Ugh.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

$60.00 1yr offer is still valid

Team,

I used the $60.00 offer today (2/13/05) and it is still valid. As a reminder, the code is ZWINBACK MYP1, there's really no trick, the guy simply said -this gives 1 yr of service for $60.00 -I'm in!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:10 AM
7th Gear

Thumbs up Wahoo!!! it still works!

It took 3 minutes! I told the guy the promotional code, he said ok, and he would send me the bill later... You guys rock!!!

Worst_guy_ever
04 MDX Touring/NAV
05 TL 5AT/NAV
love em both!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by worst_guy_ever
It took 3 minutes! I told the guy the promotional code, he said ok, and he would send me the bill later... You guys rock!!!

Worst_guy_ever
04 MDX Touring/NAV
05 TL 5AT/NAV
love em both!
Same here called yesterday asked for the "Retention Dept" and got the deal..Actually not so much of a deal because I already have an XM acct and will save about $20/yr.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:39 PM
8th Gear

Called 1-800-929-2100 told them I wanted to renew with the $60 per year promotion, when my trial period expires on 2-17-05. Was transfered to another dept. Asked for name on acct and that was it. One year will start when trial period expires. Set up internet acct access Took credit card number. Took less than 5 min. Quick and easy.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Racer

Thanks!!!

I was driving the wifes TL the other day on a trip and realized the XM had expired, no letter or notification from them. My wife said it had been out a few weeks so..

I called on my cell phone the phone # on the display, they transferred me to the retention department, after speaking to one individual that could not take care of me I was transferred toa manager, bingo!! Ten minutes later the XM came back on and they are sending me a bill. Easy as that....

Thanks for this thread!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

NO luck here. Guy gave me a hard time asked if it came from a card mailed to me. No joy.
Said they couldn't add the promo to the free trial....
I will try again later.
yaesumofo
Old 02-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It worked so well for me when my trial was running out a couple weeks ago on my new TL, that I thought I would tell my mom about it. She just purchased a 2004 Accord Coupe 5SP last year. They renewed her with the code with no problem. Got it on the first try - said she got a flyer in the mail!

She is back listening to XM for $60 for the year (after almost 9 months without it).

All thanks to this rockin' site!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just called in - the first lady told me no and that I had to have my radio inactive for at least 5 months. I hung up and called right back, the guy gave it to me without any problems at all. If I understood him correctly, he will be adding it to the end of my trial (which ends March 30th).

Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by mortifer
Just called in - the first lady told me no and that I had to have my radio inactive for at least 5 months. I hung up and called right back, the guy gave it to me without any problems at all. If I understood him correctly, he will be adding it to the end of my trial (which ends March 30th).

Thanks guys!
INdeed. Exactly what they did for me as well. I didn't see the bill till almost the end of my trial 3 months, FYI.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:11 PM
djmikel

I just signed up for another year for $60. Used the WINBACK code. Very good deal!!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:53 PM
jjy
Intermediate

still works!

just got the deal. the person did ask for the promotion code (zwinback myp1). didn't have it. called back once i found it on a previous post and the second xm person helping me knew about my previous call 10 minutes before! I guess they keep notes on all the calls they get.

anyways, for $60 dollars a year, this is a great deal! I'm on the fence about $120/year though. Maybe they'll have another deal next year around this time!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Racer

Just called today. I ended up cursing out hte women, and asking her the question "why not" over 40 times. I called a number, i told them i want to reactivate my XM for the 60$ a yr deal, lady asked me if i got a flyer i nthe mail i said yes. She told me to hold on, she will switch me with some1 who can get that for me. I end up taking to some filthy uneducated woman, who asks me if i got a flyer, i say yes. She seemed extrwmly reluctant ot give me the deal. She ended up asking me for my phone number, so she can check on their computer, she said that if i didnt receive as phone call for that offer, i would be charged the regular full price. She tried to scare me out of getting it, even though i ended up hanging up the phone. Hope i got better luck tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 for 12 Months (Part 1)