Please help! Big problems with new JL sub and amp.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! Big problems with new JL sub and amp.

Last Friday I had Car Toys install a 500.1 JL Audio amp and a 12w3 v3 sub to the factory deck in my 2004 TL. Everything was working and sounding great until 3 days later when the sub started cutting out and finally would not play at all. After checking the normal places where problems can occur, I took it back to Car Toys.

Car Toys pulled my dash out again and said it was a problem with the (High-Low Converter) that they had installed. They told me that it was a bad conection and sent me on my way. The sub again stoped working about 15 min. later.

I took the car back into Car Toys the next day and they decided to replace the High-Low converter and said it would not give me any problems. Sure enough, last night the fu*king sub stopped again. The car is going back into Car Toys today for the 4rth time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a factory setting that is causing this to happen? It usually stops working when the volume is high(usually when I am testing it out.) Car Toys said I may need to buy a $300 high-low converter but I want to make sure that is the problem if I shell out more$$$. I am now into the damn sub/amp for $1300.
*Also, when they pulled the dash out, all sorts of lights on my dash do not work anymore like the pass. side temp. control and the pass. side heated seat switch. Is this a fuse, or did they forget to connect them back up?

Please help me. I can't take much more of this.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced

There is no need to mess with the radio to install an amp and sub. Simply tap into the signal coming off the stock subwoofer and feed that into your amp. JL Audio sells an RCA to speaker wire the works great. This is how I did my install and have zero problems.

Go to jlaudio website and look for this part #: XB-CLRAIC2-SW. Best thing is that it only cost $13!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Can you run RCA's directly from the stock sub? I didn't think the sub had RCA inputs. My car is at Car Toys right now and they are trying to figure it out. Do you have anymore details I can give them to figure it out? Thansk bro
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
i would be worried leaving my car with those guys as it seems that they are complete retards . Adding a sub-amp couldnt be more simple. U should have read some of the topics here they got all the information. By the way how did they fit a 12" sub into the rear deck.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Instructor

They didn't put it in the rear deck
Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
i would be worried leaving my car with those guys as it seems that they are complete retards . Adding a sub-amp couldnt be more simple. U should have read some of the topics here they got all the information. By the way how did they fit a 12" sub into the rear deck.

Yea, it sounds like they don't know what they're doing. And may be taking your money too.

Here's a quick howto:

Run power to the new amp
Find a ground for the new amp
Find a remote on for the new amp
Disconnect the speaker wire from the stock sub mounted on the rear deck
Connect this speaker wire to an LOC
Connect the other side of the LOC to you new sub amp.
Connect your new amp to your new sub
Adjust the gains
You're done

Lots of DIYs in here, do a search

BTW What year is your TL?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Conor
Can you run RCA's directly from the stock sub? I didn't think the sub had RCA inputs. My car is at Car Toys right now and they are trying to figure it out. Do you have anymore details I can give them to figure it out? Thansk bro
There are no RCA inputs on the stock sub. You will be splicing into the factory sub wiring to convert to RCA. Using a LOC is basically the same thing as the part # I mentioned in my previous post. Do not allow Car Toys to touch you are anymore. They have no idea what they are doing.

If you still don't understand, do a simple search bro. Don't pay someone else to do the install...do it yourself and learn about your car along the way.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the ground

It sounds like there may be some ground issue on the sub amp.

I had a similar issue. The sub would just go muffle or complete silent intermittently. It turned out that the paint on the chassis for the ground was not scraped off nice enough, cauing the amp to go into circuit protection mode. Re-did the ground and problem solved.

Hope it helps,
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Return all that shit to them . And buy new system...install it your self...lolz
Old 01-29-2008, 03:48 AM
phu
Intermediate

If i was u i'd bring it to a smaller shops n get it done. big shops like car toys and bestbuy etc.... dont really know much on newer cars.