Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warm-up time

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
warm-up time

how long does it take u guys to warm up ur TL (takes me about 10)
Old 01-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

That's a little silly, I wake up to 60 degrees. People up North wake up to -60.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:48 PM
pps
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
less than 30 seconds

I wait less than 30 seconds --- but its' about 45 degrees at night.
After driving for 1 minute, it is already warm. pps
Old 01-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
10 seconds or 10 mintues? How cold do you have out there?

In NYC, we have single digit temp recently, I usually idle for 10 seconds, then slowly, <30mph & 2krpm, drive until the engine temp reach the quarter.

If I have to warm up 04TL as the way to treat my OLD car, it's not the car for me.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

10 minutes:wow:

I don't live up north, but that seems excessive.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

This is actually a good question - it's one of those issues that nobody can agree on.

Some say if you go too soon, it's bad. Some say if you idle too long, it's bad...

Anybody with a car engineering background have any new insights??
Old 01-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Cruisin'

I agree. That's my question also. It's not a question of how long does it take get heat...but a question of what is the preferred time to let it warm up before taking off.

I have also heard people advocating both sides: bad to jump in and go... bad to let it idle for a while before taking off.

Opinions?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

I agree. That's my question also. It's not a question of how long does it take get heat...but a question of what is the preferred time to let it warm up before taking off.

I have also heard people advocating both sides: bad to jump in and go... bad to let it idle for a while before taking off.

Opinions?
Old 01-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Racer

I've never hear any comments regarding just jumping in an going. I've always been of the thought that you need to let them warm up. Sometimes in the morning I let my other cars or truck warm up for about 10 minutes or so. Whats the harm in this when its in the single digits or even in the teens?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:01 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
5 mins, I warm it up in the garage before pulling it out
Old 01-25-2004, 01:42 AM
What's a TL?

I asked my dealer about it....they said that allowing the car to heat up saves so little wear and tear on the engine that it is just a waste of time
Old 01-25-2004, 02:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Re: warm-up time

IMHO, I will think the car will be ok as long as the engine oil can run throughly into each parts of the engine.

If you push your engine hard in extremely cold temp without giving it the full time to reach its necessary lubrication conditions, the engine may have problems in the future. How can we define that period? Idle 10 seconds, 1 minutes, 10 minutes, or slowly driving until the temp is up?

If you idle your engine too long, you may just waste your energy and make the pollution, or you might torture your cooling system while your ambience is hot.

Perhaps, warming-up too long seems a little silly, but it would at least guarantee your engine's durability.

But if conditions allow, I would prefer driving it gently to idling it long.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:02 AM
Pro

I was gong to ask this same question in fact since it is very cold here this winter.

I idle for maybe a few seconds.

Then I drive slowly, and by the time I hit the road which I can go over 25 out of the residential area, the car is usuaklkly warmed up... near the middle of the cold/heat meter.

I never warmed up my last two cars for any real long legnth of time and they never had any engine problems.

I think "warming up" is something from "the ghost of cars past", but I guest I could be wrong!

My grandfather had an old American car in the 70s... it didn't have a hot/cold meter. It had just idiot lights. One for overheating and a blue light for COLD which would go out when the car wasn't "cold" anymore. Back then I suppose the right thing to do was to wait for it to go out.

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 07:25 AM
BOOK EM

Here in CT, its been below 0 without the wind chill. I thankfully have my TL in a heated garage. (only because the oil burner is in their also). My "Foul weather" car is a 95 Astro Van that sits outside sometimes for days at a time. Starting it up at 530 in the morning, then getting ready for work in 20 min, is actually just the right amount of time it takes for the engine to "loosen up" and run smooth. Beleive me, I know how a engine sounds when its not fully ready to operate, THE INTERIOR ENGINE COVER IS BROKEN AND CRACKED!. Being half the engine "sits" inside,I hear all the "noises" an engine makes when its not ready to go.
Old 01-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Racer

Danno,

I think that’s the big difference here. We have three vehicles and all of them sit outside in the wind with minus degree wind chills. Right now its 8 degrees and sunny @ 8:55 EST. Since I'd prefer jumping into a warm vehicle, we all let ours run for about 10 or 15 minutes before taking off. Other that letting the engine warm up, it gives the seat heaters a chance to warm up the leather as well.

Many years ago, when I was still living at home. My 2nd Car was a '76 VW Rabbit. And typically I parked it right outside and for most of the year it was good like that. However when those single digit temps and strong winds showed up, it didn’t want to start. For me the trick was to pull it nose partially into our barn (wasn’t room for the complete car). That helped some, but I also found out by throwing an old blanket over the nose as well, it seemed to start much easier. Maybe it wanted some TLC I guess....
Old 01-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Usually, I wait 15s... and go drive gently until the temp needle moves. But this morning at -29 deg, I wait ... 30s. :o) There is no need to warm it up, not moving. I'd say that it is even worse; the quickest the engine reaches its operating temperature, the better it is. This is why I keep it on D3 until warmed up (never over 3500rpm).
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by TZVECL
This is actually a good question - it's one of those issues that nobody can agree on.

Some say if you go too soon, it's bad. Some say if you idle too long, it's bad...

When all cars had a carburator, conventional wisdom said that you must completely warm up the engine before driving the car. This idea was based on the reality that cold carborators did not vaporize their fuel well (which is true) and the engine ran poorly until warm (also more or less true), it was accepted that it was best to warm up the so as to eliminate hesitation, stalingl, etc. An added benefit was that the car interior would be warmer too. While this all (warmer engine, warmer interior, etc) may have been great for the driver, it was the worst possible scenario for the engine.

Cold engines experience extra wear and tear due to the rich mixture required by the carborator of old -- and by the current fuel dilvery systems as well to a certain extent. This extra (unburnned) fuel ends up running down the cylinder walls and into the oil pan -- aggravating ring and cylinder bore wear. The now fuel-dilluted oil in the pan then provides less lubrication for the engine parts -- even after the engine warms up.

Based on this information, the objective should be to greatly limit the amount of time the engine runs cold. Since idling is virtualy load-free, this is best accomplished by driving the car at light load and low RPMs as soon as possible -- assuming the oil pressure is up and the oil is circulating to provide lubrication. Taking this action will have the added benefit of warming up the rest of the drivetrain (transmission, wheel bearings, etc.).
Old 01-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Instructor

I let mine idil about a min. before pulling out - just enough thime to get the oil circulated through the engine. With the thin oil in today's cars it has to be really cold befor it thickens.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:31 AM
ULOOZ

I live in FL now, and MI years ago, In temps below 10 degrees hold the key to the start position about 2-3 seconds longer , let the engine smooth out, then start driving below 3500 rpm. Allow the Check engine light to cycle off before firing the motor. Here in FL. its just about squeege the dew!!!!! Jeff
Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Before really pushing it the oil should be up to temp. We have no guage so my best guess is that it takes a good 10 minutes or more. That's how long it takes for any meaningful movement of the oil temp guage on my S4, of course depending on the ambient temp when started. Otherwise starting and waiting a few seconds and then driving gently (1/4 throttle and 2500 rpm max) until the water temp is at its normal spot is not a bad idea.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ideling wont hurt the car, mine does all day long. and i have 132,000 miles and the engine is perfect. getting in and going right away would put more ware than a 5 min warm up
Old 01-25-2004, 04:29 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by fsttyms1
ideling wont hurt the car, mine does all day long. and i have 132,000 miles and the engine is perfect. getting in and going right away would put more ware than a 5 min warm up
There's a difference between idling before the engine and oil are warmed up and doing it after.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:43 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
thank god none of you become car engineers
Old 01-25-2004, 05:50 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by desijatt
thank god none of you become car engineers
Meaning?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by lflorack
Cold engines experience extra wear and tear due to the rich mixture required by the carborator of old -- and by the current fuel dilvery systems as well to a certain extent. This extra (unburnned) fuel ends up running down the cylinder walls and into the oil pan -- aggravating ring and cylinder bore wear. The now fuel-dilluted oil in the pan then provides less lubrication for the engine parts -- even after the engine warms up.
I can see your point. But my question is: Do you think that there's that much extra fuel in the rich "just started" engine that it's actually pouring down (or perhaps even slipping by the rings)cylinder walls? I doubt it. My suspicion is that the richness only lasts for no more than 1 minute. And I'd highly doubt that it’s so rich that the engine is virtually flooding out.

Consider that even if the engine is rich for a short period of time, even idling (as opposed to driving) its going to warm up as well, then the engine is out of it's "Rich Start" mode.

My concern is more for the tranny than the actual engine. The engine warmth is my first and very brief concern. I want the tranny to be moderately warmed by the warming engine. We all know how reluctant auto trannys are to shift when they are cold. And on a manual the clutch feels weak while the gears don’t feel very well synchronized.

I guess this could be argued both ways. I was having this same conversation with a guy at work. He too was of the opinion to just let it warm briefly then run. I (as you can tell) think otherwise. Perhaps this will go on forever. But in the end, to each his own.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Racer

I just came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...98216?v=glance

I understand from doing some quick searching on the internet that its a good read and might provide some more insight here.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Drifting

I park mine outside in Canada, so I like to give a good 10 or 15 mins to let it warm up in the mornings. I don't think there's much harm in it. The only negative I see is the waste of gas.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Instructor

Well, I'm glad we still all can't agree!!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Boston, -5 F , The time it takes to put it in drive!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
A.K.A. Karl Hungus

Well, I just use 0W20 oil in the hopes the cold weather viscosity oil will avoid needing to warm the car up.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:26 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by greenseed
I can see your point. But my question is: Do you think that there's that much extra fuel in the rich "just started" engine that it's actually pouring down (or perhaps even slipping by the rings)cylinder walls? I doubt it. My suspicion is that the richness only lasts for no more than 1 minute. And I'd highly doubt that it’s so rich that the engine is virtually flooding out.
It's my understanding from reading over the years, that the situation I described is what happens. That's about all I can say I guess.

Consider that even if the engine is rich for a short period of time, even idling (as opposed to driving) its going to warm up as well, then the engine is out of it's "Rich Start" mode.
But if you drive it right away, the time it takes to get it out of the 'rich mode' is shorter. Idling does not warm up the engine or drivetrain ver yrapidly (comparatively).

My concern is more for the tranny than the actual engine. The engine warmth is my first and very brief concern. I want the tranny to be moderately warmed by the warming engine. We all know how reluctant auto trannys are to shift when they are cold. And on a manual the clutch feels weak while the gears don’t feel very well synchronized.
Again, the transmission will warm up more rapidly under load.

I guess this could be argued both ways. I was having this same conversation with a guy at work. He too was of the opinion to just let it warm briefly then run. I (as you can tell) think otherwise. Perhaps this will go on forever. But in the end, to each his own.
Interesting discussion!
Old 01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Intermediate

Engine and tranny is more like a human body. Try to pull weight without warming up and you will feel results. Same goes for the engine and transmission.
I would not bother warming up a car all the way in FL or other warm states, but here in WI it helps to keep car serving you longer and no need to drive in the cold car even with heated seats.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally posted by Nadimus
Engine and tranny is more like a human body. Try to pull weight without warming up and you will feel results. Same goes for the engine and transmission.
I would not bother warming up a car all the way in FL or other warm states, but here in WI it helps to keep car serving you longer and no need to drive in the cold car even with heated seats.

Just my 2 cents...
The car's engine and tranny are like the human body? Hmmmm.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:56 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by lflorack
The car's engine and tranny are like the human body? Hmmmm.
Well, try feeding yourself some spoiled food (bad gas -- like diesel instead of unleaded gas) and you'll know in both instances something went wrong! =)
Old 01-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

it's best to just let the car warm up for 30-60 sec, and then drive carefully (low revs) until at operating temp.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Racer

Seem's like when you start the car up and begin cleaning the snow off, then step in to warm up is 10 to 15 minutes later anyhow.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned

Warm up time is wasted time. You only have to wait for the oil to flow around, usually not more than 30 sec. After that drive off slowly till optimal operating temp. YES, your butt will be cold! FURTHERMORE, for manual tranny cars, THERE ARE NO STUPID REMOTE STARTERS!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Red face RTFM

RTFM
Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

BTW: have you tryed to get VTECH kick in when car not warmed up?
I don't have my TL yet. But on my Prelude it's not possible to achive.