3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received my VLED Triton V3 LED park and turn bulbs! A few pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The V3s have a lense that diffuses the light 180 degrees, it's not perfect but it works very well, much better than any other LED lamp I've seen. It makes far better use of reflectors than the tower LEDs and is also far brighter.

Last edited by AZP-TL; 04-07-2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:42 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ETA IS NOW "1ST WEEK OF MAY"! This is bullshit. These guys at V-LEDS.com don't know what the *uck they are doing.
The following users liked this post:
casty (04-19-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandro
when looking closer do those V3s shine 360 degrees or they rather look like a focused point of light?

I use older Vleds tower switchbacks in my ZDX and their light looks pretty dispersed like vleds drl towers which match match each other. I am thinking about swtching to V3 but afraid to get an ugly focused point
You won't get any ugly focus point or hotspots. The small lens disperses the light perfectly and will fill the entire lens with insanely bright light. When the light is on its too intense to see where the source of light is coming from inside the housing.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:59 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

So I haven't been able to log into my account w/ V-leds on my computer for some reason. Just logged into my account w/ the wife's and my order says it's "on hold". IS that what everyone else's said when you were waiting for your backordered merchandise? I ordered mine at the beginning of March.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
So I haven't been able to log into my account w/ V-leds on my computer for some reason. Just logged into my account w/ the wife's and my order says it's "on hold". IS that what everyone else's said when you were waiting for your backordered merchandise? I ordered mine at the beginning of March.
Yea that's what mine said at that time. I purchased v3 tritons in December and got them in march. Just be patient they are worth it and of great quality
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
I ordered all my interior LEDs in early January and the final shipment just arrived yesterday. Be patient grasshopper, they are worth it!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have my dream car. I hope to find a cb tls in about a year in good shape with lowest mileage possible. I'm going to put these triton bulbs on my list. Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
3 words.... OH MY GOD. FINALLY a aftermarket LED system that is amazing!! Guys, I just tried these in the rear turns and they are insane! I have tried countless brands and different types of tower LED bulbs and there isnt even a comparison to these. Remove whatever LED's you have in your car and buy these no questions asked. The entire kit front/back with V3 load resistors cost me $222 shipped, but after seeing the quality of these and the output I honestly would have paid $400 for these lol. I have not tried the fronts yet, but I can only imagine amazing those will look. For those of you who have switchbacks they have the Triton V3 switchbacks as well. Im so happy to have finally found an LED replacement that works!!!

Enjoy! Oh, and theres no point to tell you which is the V3 LED bulb and which is the stock filament bulb ;-)

I completely understand, but to me I LOVE the look of LED signals. When I see cars like the new BMW's with their fancy front amber turn signals I just love it. If you want the best product its gonna cost you, and IMO these are worth it.

I will definitely get you guys more pics when everything is installed. Im just waiting for the back ordered V3 load resistors and I don't know when they will come. Until then I cant leave them installed because of the hyper flash.

Yes you can change the overall length of the LED unit so that it sits further in or out in the housing exactly like LockDots explained. I didn't mess with it much, I just set it so it was the same length as the filament bulb and let it be. It was so bright it I don't think it matters where its located in the housing :-)
What do the load resistors do? And what is hyper flash? Also do you have to bake te headlights and remove the amber part so that the white parking can be seen? Stupid questions I know but doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks a lot
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
Resistors keep the lights from hyper flashing...and to answer that...hyper flashing is when the lights blink faster than normal, similar to a halogen bulb getting ready to die.

Yes, you have to bake the headlights and remove the amber for a switchback light to be seen. If you'd rather not do that, just buy the amber V3 bulbs.

(Headlight modding threads can be found in the 3G garage at the top of the 3G TL main page)
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
I ordered all my interior LEDs in early January and the final shipment just arrived yesterday. Be patient grasshopper, they are worth it!
Grasshopper? Seem like I've been a member a lil longer than you

Originally Posted by sockr1
Yea that's what mine said at that time. I purchased v3 tritons in December and got them in march. Just be patient they are worth it and of great quality
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have the wrong credit card info or something.

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
Resistors keep the lights from hyper flashing...and to answer that...hyper flashing is when the lights blink faster than normal, similar to a halogen bulb getting ready to die.

Yes, you have to bake the headlights and remove the amber for a switchback light to be seen. If you'd rather not do that, just buy the amber V3 bulbs.

(Headlight modding threads can be found in the 3G garage at the top of the 3G TL main page)
Not true if you have the Type-S.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

Yeah if you have a type s no headlight modding required. Either way though that's only if you want switchbacks and if you have a base model with the full amber lens. I didn't want switchbacks so the amber bulb was all I needed.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Race Director

I've just about had it with these pieces of shit.

First it was the driver's side, now it's my pass. side.

Same shit is happening as last.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sucks...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
damn....when you pay $150 for switchbacks you would expect them work right out of the box...

Austin, PM Buda (Sean)....he had some issues with these and installed some load resistors and that solved his issue....check if thats the same issue you are having...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Already have the relay mod. This is my second go around with this shit. They have to replace it. And I'm not spending another $10 to have this shit mailed out AGAIN.

They can fully cover it or I'm selling them.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Undying, just curious when these issues come up...is it after washing, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc? Has it occurred after the same event both times or does it randomly happen?

I also have the triton switchbacks and have had no issues even after car washes. Maybe they are just hit and miss (hopefully not due to their price)

Are you usin their CLS (resistor module)? I don't have the relay mod and their resistor module seems pretty robust. Just trying to see what could be causing it since I dont want people to pass on these, I think they are a great product

Last edited by sockr1; 04-22-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

ohh he has the relay mod too....he still had to add some resistance for these to work right....do send him a PM before you spend more money in shipping....
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
same shit happened to my new tower style Vleds (their latest tower) switchbacks, one of the bulbs gone mad
had to put my previous Vleds which still look fine after 6 months of usage
Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Race Director

That sucks. I'm quite annoyed with them. $100+ bulbs and they crap out after a few months.

My interior lights are still going strong.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Talking Next gen tritons are here!!

http://www.facebook.com/VLEDS/posts/10151456194559983

Hope that link works. I'm not that computer savvy.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

The relay mod is the worst. I tried that on a previous TL and it caused electrical havoc. Never gonna touch that relay again!!! Not worth it when they have their own plug and play resistors built specifically for the V3's. I'm not saying this is your problem undying, but all I know is that my car was doing some really weird things when I attempted that relay mod on a previous TL of mine. Also, don't forget that apparently you have the first bath if the switchbacks from what I can tell. The new ones have been redesigned and are still not available. Sounds like the originals were infact problematic. I have the standard amber and red ones that I got right when they were released. Have been excellent bulbs and I love them!!

James
Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Racer

That sucks. I'm quite annoyed with them. $100+ bulbs and they crap out after a few months.

My interior lights are still going strong.
I had the same problem, the control box design for the switchbacks was shitty. VLEDs just today shipped me my replacements with the new design that'll hopefully rid us of these issues. The new controller is smaller and has the resistors integrated so no more CLS modules required (you can even remove the resistance if you have done the relay mod).

The relay mod is the worst. I tried that on a previous TL and it caused electrical havoc. Never gonna touch that relay again!!!
You probably had a bad solder point on your resistor, if the solder breaches and makes contact with other traces it will definitely cause problems. I did the relay mod and have had no issues for a few months now. I doubt that's the cause of the switchbacks malfunctioning as I've had no electrical or flasher issues and I have V3s in the rear as well.

Last edited by AZP-TL; 04-24-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Race Director

My relay mod has been fine. My old switchbacks worked great. As stated, the switchback TRITONS suck, big time.

I sent an annoyed email and was told I can have them replaced and I will be send back the updated ones. Hopefully that works.

AZP, were you able to just have them send you new ones and then you returned your defective ones? Or did you have to order and then they reimbursed you after you sent yours back?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Austin, from what I understand, you need another resistors for these Tritons....

Sean(BUDA) has these installed and he has the relay mod as well....he still had to install another resistor for these to work properly....they took a dump on him and he took a multimeter to them and added a resistor....

you send him a PM yet???
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZP-TL
I had the same problem, the control box design for the switchbacks was shitty.
My relay mod has been fine. My old switchbacks worked great. As stated, the switchback TRITONS suck, big time.

I sent an annoyed email and was told I can have them replaced and I will be send back the updated ones. Hopefully that works.
Originally Posted by swoosh
Austin, from what I understand, you need another resistors for these Tritons....

Sean(BUDA) has these installed and he has the relay mod as well....he still had to install another resistor for these to work properly....they took a dump on him and he took a multimeter to them and added a resistor....
azp and undying both had issues and both had the relay mod, and apparently BUDA had to do another mod to his relay mod...i don't want people thinking these are generally bad products, i think there is a trend above for when the tritons don't work correctly...

i agree with swoosh/buda, i think there's something about the wiring setup with the older tritons where the relay mod just doesn't cut it. there are a few of us with the older tritons and no relay mod, but used their control module system (extra box) and have had no issues at all.

these tritons are great, and with a new version i'm sure they are even better. recommend these to anyone, just don't want to turn people off and characterize all the tritons as bad...i think there might be an application error if you are running the relay mod

hope it all works out undying! keep us updated with the new ones
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Race Director

I'll see what Buda has to say but I don't think that is the problem otherwise they would flash incorrectly from the beginning, right?

Both of my incidents have happened after washing the car or in very humid climates.

VLEDS has offered to replace them with the updated version, thank God.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Racer

AZP, were you able to just have them send you new ones and then you returned your defective ones? Or did you have to order and then they reimbursed you after you sent yours back?
I just told them what was happening and provided a video as evidence, they told me to return them for a replacement and I have been waiting ever since for the new design to become available.

Originally Posted by sockr1
azp and undying both had issues and both had the relay mod, and apparently BUDA had to do another mod to his relay mod...i don't want people thinking these are generally bad products, i think there is a trend above for when the tritons don't work correctly...
I think it's very likely that VLEDs just didn't design the control board with adequate voltage regulation, which is the Achilles heal of electronics. A lot of people were affected by this issue and I doubt all of them modded their relays.

these tritons are great, and with a new version i'm sure they are even better. recommend these to anyone, just don't want to turn people off and characterize all the tritons as bad...
Agreed, the Tritons themselves are excellent, it was just a faulty controller design with the switchbacks. As I said, I have red tritons in the rear and am more than pleased with them, no other LED bulb comes close in brightness or quality. They also come with a lifetime warranty, can't beat that.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZP-TL:
sockr1 (04-25-2013), Undying Dreams (04-25-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
173rd Airborne!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok so here's the issue I'm having with my trition switchbacks. When I installed them they light up white just fine but when I use the turn signal nothing happens, no blinking, no color change or anything. They just stay white. I also have v3 turn signals in the rear with CLS module installed. The rears work perfect! I wanted to check with you guys first before I contact vleds just in case someone had this issue. I put my old switchbacks back in and they work perfectly fine. Anyone have any insight on what could be causing this. Hoping I don't need to send them back because Im in Germany and it takes forever to get stuff over here. Also these things are extremely bright! Be careful not to stare at them directly lol
Old 04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfingScotty
Grasshopper? Seem like I've been a member a lil longer than you
Haha just a Kung-Fu reference. There is no question that I'm actually the grasshopper.

On a related topic, I finally installed the rest of my order and there is a distinct difference in the appearance of VLEDs new interior bulbs. I have two pairs of the same exact part number installed in my domes, the front ones are from January and the rear ones are from last week. Both are supposedly 5K LED bulbs of the same exact kind, yet the rears look much whiter compared to the ever-so-slightly blue ones up front, despite being the same part.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by ACE32TL
Ok so here's the issue I'm having with my trition switchbacks. When I installed them they light up white just fine but when I use the turn signal nothing happens, no blinking, no color change or anything. They just stay white. I also have v3 turn signals in the rear with CLS module installed. The rears work perfect! I wanted to check with you guys first before I contact vleds just in case someone had this issue. I put my old switchbacks back in and they work perfectly fine. Anyone have any insight on what could be causing this. Hoping I don't need to send them back because Im in Germany and it takes forever to get stuff over here. Also these things are extremely bright! Be careful not to stare at them directly lol
Do you have the resistor relay mod done? Did you solder a 0.12 or 0.24 ohm resistor?
Old 04-27-2013, 02:50 AM
173rd Airborne!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Do you have the resistor relay mod done? Did you solder a 0.12 or 0.24 ohm resistor?
No, I don't have the relay mod. I only have the CLS modules installed.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
What the heck should I check now?
Connections?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I guess I'll be staying away from these until they get sorted out and fixed.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Personally I feel like these have been getting a bad wrap. The only issue I've ever has with these was when I first had them installed the diffuser lense popped off but we just super glued it back and it's good. I have the additional relay module from VLeds installed. I've had them installed on my car almost for months and it has been thru rainstorms and carwashese without any issues.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Holy hell....

this was the same issues Sean had...am going to ask him to post in here
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Race Director

MEKO, you're having the same problem.

UGH, these stupid things!!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

I have been trying to follow this thread, but are people here having these problems only with the switchbacks? or even the regular amber ones?
Like I said before I was one of the first people to purchase the V3's when they first came out and mine have been absolutely perfect! I love them! I have front amber and rear red V3 LEDs using the V3 load resistors. They have been through very cold snowy conditions, 85 degrees heat, flood causing rain etc etc and work perfectly.

James
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Race Director

MEKO has the regular ambers and it appears he is having the same problem as me, as shown in my video.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
^ Yeah exactly

Swoosh, who was Seen? BUDA?
Did he fixed his or return?

Quick Reply: Received my VLED Triton V3 LED park and turn bulbs! A few pics inside!