3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received my VLED Triton V3 LED park and turn bulbs! A few pics inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
these look very promising...have a few questions:

is the CLS module the resistors you are talking about for the turn signals?
do the resistors need to be welded in or are they some sort of plug and play?

and finally, for anyone that has run switchbacks, does the 6k or the 5k line up better with the headlights on a type s?

thanks for the reviews by everyone so far in this thread, very helpful!
VLED's now offer a plug and play load resistor for the V3 LED bulbs. There is no splicing or anything. Its like plugging in a head phone jack. I am waiting for them to arrive now as they were pre-ordered only, but they told me they should ship any day now. And yes its for the turn signals otherwise any LED replacement bulb will cause your turn signals to hyper flash.
As far as the switchbacks when you say line up im going to assume you mean match the OEM HID's not necessarily "line up". To answer that question the 5K's will match very nicely, and the 6K's will be a little more whiter. If you want the closest match to OEM HID color get the 5K's. The V3 triton switchbacks are only pre-order at this time. Check out VLED's site for more info.

James
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
VLED's now offer a plug and play load resistor for the V3 LED bulbs. There is no splicing or anything. Its like plugging in a head phone jack. I am waiting for them to arrive now as they were pre-ordered only, but they told me they should ship any day now. And yes its for the turn signals otherwise any LED replacement bulb will cause your turn signals to hyper flash.
As far as the switchbacks when you say line up im going to assume you mean match the OEM HID's not necessarily "line up". To answer that question the 5K's will match very nicely, and the 6K's will be a little more whiter. If you want the closest match to OEM HID color get the 5K's. The V3 triton switchbacks are only pre-order at this time. Check out VLED's site for more info.

James
thanks for the info! i actually found a lot of info on the v-leds website after i posted, oops. yea i meant match in color not line up, that is helpful to know the 5k is a better match. i think the OEM is 4300 IIRC.

i need to do some more research to see how it looks on a type s without clearing the headlights, since i don't want to touch the light housing. then i might pull the trigger

i really wish they had this triton bulb for the DRL bulb size but looks like they don't. right now i have an LED tower that is decent but this would look so much cleaner and brigther...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
These don't fit a fog or headlight anyway. As far as their figment options are, it looks like all turn signals to me.
I contacted them about that becauseI wanted to run them as DRL myself since I already have a harness set up to provide both bulbs with +12V (my car is an '08). They told me that although they are not meant for the 9006 socket, that with a little drilling or shaving they can be mounted there. They also said of course that they can't help or recommend on how to do it since they're not meant for that type of application, but that apparently there are people doing that already.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LockDots
I contacted them about that becauseI wanted to run them as DRL myself since I already have a harness set up to provide both bulbs with +12V (my car is an '08). They told me that although they are not meant for the 9006 socket, that with a little drilling or shaving they can be mounted there. They also said of course that they can't help or recommend on how to do it since they're not meant for that type of application, but that apparently there are people doing that already.
are you going to try this? i'm very interested in this as well (I also have a harness setup already) and think it would be the perfect replacement for an LED tower in the DRLs but not brave enough to be the guinea pig

isn't the DRL size 9005?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Engineer in Training

are you going to try this? i'm very interested in this as well (I also have a harness setup already) and think it would be the perfect replacement for an LED tower in the DRLs but not brave enough to be the guinea pig

isn't the DRL size 9005?
I believe the socket is the same. I think the angle of the connector is what's different. I would like to try but I don't want to introduce moisture into the headlight if it doesn't seal properly. I may take an 1157 & 9006 socket and make an adapter out of them if I decide to go this route.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Just ordered the 5k switchbacks and the module! Thanks to the OP for the review on the new triton v3!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I just installed these myself a few days ago; red V3s in the rear, 6k switchbacks in the front. Let me tell you guys, these things are easily brighter than the stock incandescents, probably twice as bright. They are blinding at night and definitely visible in sunlight. None of the other tower LEDs or otherwise come even close to these in brightness or quality. I've been waiting a long time for someone to make something like this, finally!!!

I have the 4300k stock HIDs and although VLEDs claims that they're 6K they look closer to 5K, maybe a little higher, they are a very nice true white. These use 3 Philips Luxeon 3 watt LEDs per bulb (6 LEDs for the switchbacks).

I did the flasher mod with a .22 ohm resistor and it works perfectly. I'll take some pics or a video tomorrow and post it up.

Last edited by AZP-TL; 01-02-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Engineer in Training

Originally Posted by AZP-TL
I just installed these myself a few days ago; red V3s in the rear, 6k switchbacks in the front. Let me tell you guys, these things are easily brighter than the stock incandescents, probably twice as bright. They are blinding at night and definitely visible in sunlight. None of the other tower LEDs or otherwise come even close to these in brightness or quality. I've been waiting a long time for someone to make something like this, finally!!!

I have the 4300k stock HIDs and although VLEDs claims that they're 6K they look closer to 5K, maybe a little higher, they are a very nice true white. These use 3 Philips Luxeon 3 watt LEDs per bulb (6 LEDs for the switchbacks).

I did the flasher mod with a .22 ohm resistor and it works perfectly. I'll take some pics or a video tomorrow and post it up.
Definitely some video with it right in the sun
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Oh one thing I want to add, I cant speak for the non Type-S headlights, but on my 08 Type S I had to make a spacer ring for the LED bulb to seat correctly and fully secure in position. Basically, when you install the V3 bulb as is withjust the rubber washer/seal it comes with it was not tight enough and the bulb would not secure in position. So what I was traced out the rubber washer on a sheet of relatively thin plastic (about the thickness of a dime), and added that onto the V3 bulb under the rubber seal. Doing that then gave just the right width between the two set screws and the rubber washer. Making this extra spacer ring is a MUST on the Type S headlights as without it the bulb will not stay in the housing. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of it, but really all it is is like adding an additional washer under the supplied rubber washer. Be sure to add the spacer UNDER the rubber washer so it can still seal properly.
The rear turn bulbs seated perfectly with just the supplied rubber washer, I did not need to add anything additional.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM
06 WDP/Ebony MT NAV ASPEC

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Oh one thing I want to add, I cant speak for the non Type-S headlights, but on my 08 Type S I had to make a spacer ring for the LED bulb to seat correctly and fully secure in position. Basically, when you install the V3 bulb as is withjust the rubber washer/seal it comes with it was not tight enough and the bulb would not secure in position. So what I was traced out the rubber washer on a sheet of relatively thin plastic (about the thickness of a dime), and added that onto the V3 bulb under the rubber seal. Doing that then gave just the right width between the two set screws and the rubber washer. Making this extra spacer ring is a MUST on the Type S headlights as without it the bulb will not stay in the housing. Unfortunately I did not take pictures of it, but really all it is is like adding an additional washer under the supplied rubber washer. Be sure to add the spacer UNDER the rubber washer so it can still seal properly.
The rear turn bulbs seated perfectly with just the supplied rubber washer, I did not need to add anything additional.
For the front lights you may be able to do something similar to to what i did to make a base bulb fit in the type-s socket.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/solution-1157-7443-type-s-headlights-base-814655/
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Silva95teg
For the front lights you may be able to do something similar to to what i did to make a base bulb fit in the type-s socket.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814655
Well im not really sure if all thats necessary as the LED fits in correctly since its an 1157 bulb, it just doesnt fit snug as is, so an extra spacer is required and it worked perfectly. Again, this is for the Type S with the 1157 bulb so im not sure how it all worked for the guys that did it with the other bulb type.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Racer

Last edited by AZP-TL; 01-03-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Safety Car

switchbacks look good!! thanks for posting those videos with such a quick turnaround. i'm still waiting to hear that my V3 5k switchbacks have shipped.

any plans to switch up the DRL's to match the switchbacks?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Great vids!! Just curious since you have a Type S as well, did you have to do anything special to get the front V3's to seat correctly? On my 08 Type S the mounting area was too thin to fit snuggly between the set screw and rubber washer on the V3 so I had to make a spacer.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Good info, thanks for the advice. Where did you get the sheet of plastic? If VLED's were to send an extra pair of the foam gaskets, do you think two of those on each side would work as well?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ebelp
Good info, thanks for the advice. Where did you get the sheet of plastic? If VLED's were to send an extra pair of the foam gaskets, do you think two of those on each side would work as well?
Well their gaskets are actually rubber, but no, doubling them up does not work as its way too thick then. I had to test the thickness of a few things and the thickness of a standard metal washer is about perfect. I looked in my garage and had some plastic sheets laying around that were just the right thickness. So I traced out the supplied rubber washers, cut it out, then used my dremel to hollow out the inner portion of the washer. I put the plastic washer on the LED first, then the rubber washer, and it secured in place perfectly!! I have had the plastic sheets for a while, but I think I got them at a hobby store. There is plenty other stuff that would work, that's just what I found and worked well.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
^More good info, thanks. I just contacted VLEDs about this and they told me that the first batches of the V3's included four 3mm washers total, which I assume is what you received. He said the new batches of V3's will ship with eight 4mm washers. Hopefully that extra millimeter will be enough to secure the bulb in the housings...sounds like it will.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

James
did you get your CLS module also? curious where you mounted it

good info on the washer idea, and i'm glad ebelp followed that up with V-leds because I was just about to give them a call as well, hopefully that 1 mm will help a little
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Racer

switchbacks look good!! thanks for posting those videos with such a quick turnaround. i'm still waiting to hear that my V3 5k switchbacks have shipped.

any plans to switch up the DRL's to match the switchbacks?
I kind of like the difference in color between the LEDs and the halogen DRLs but I may get some to match in the future, VLEDs said they're already working on a V3 for the 9005 socket.

@JTS97Z28

I used the larger gaskets that were supplied, they don't fit correctly in the socket but as a result they put some force on the LED which keeps it in place and they should still seal the hole, seems fairly sturdy.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Am outside in this 5 degree weather trying to install these.

Won't fit in the socket for me (rear turn signals). I am using the 25mm adapter collar and have 2 4MM screws facing opposite each other.....it just wont click into the taillight.

Any advice, am I doing something wrong? I am using one gasket to seal, do you guys suggest two gaskets?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

did you get your CLS module also? curious where you mounted it
Yes I received the V3 resistors and I mounted them horizontally directly above the tail lamp inside the trunk. The directions say mount vertically if possible, but the lengths of the cables did not allow me to put them anywhere else where they could be vertical. I don't see what the big deal is to lay them horizontally so that's how I did it. When you peel back the trunk carpet near the taillights you will see a small "shelf" just above where the taillight is. I simply laid it on that shelf using a strip of double sides tape. Its perfect there!!! Cables reach fine, and its away from anything incase heat is an issue. Its so nice that everything is 100% plug and play.

I have had my V3's installed now for a few weeks and im still thrilled with them!! I love seeing the bright instant on/off LED reflections on cars in front of me or on signs haha
sockr1 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Am outside in this 5 degree weather trying to install these.

Won't fit in the socket for me (rear turn signals). I am using the 25mm adapter collar and have 2 4MM screws facing opposite each other.....it just wont click into the taillight.

Any advice, am I doing something wrong? I am using one gasket to seal, do you guys suggest two gaskets?
Yeah if I remember correctly you DO NOT use the collar on the rear turn bulbs, only on the fronts!! Remove the collar then re-install the two set screws like you had and they should turn in as easily as the OEM bulb socket. Let me know if that takes care of it.

James
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
A6 and TL

Ok so I realized there was two different gaskets in the same box. Did you guys use the larger one or the smaller one?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
A6 and TL

Yeah if I remember correctly you DO NOT use the collar on the rear turn bulbs, only on the fronts!! Remove the collar then re-install the two set screws like you had and they should turn in as easily as the OEM bulb socket. Let me know if that takes care of it.

James
Thanks for the quick reply James.

I will test it out in a bit, I imagine you used the larger 41mm sealing gasket?
sockr1 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Thanks for the quick reply James.

I will test it out in a bit, I imagine you used the larger 41mm sealing gasket?
Yeah, you don't need the collar and you should use the 3mm screws I believe (whichever set was smaller). Same with the gasket.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by AZP-TL
Yeah, you don't need the collar and you should use the 3mm screws I believe (whichever set was smaller). Same with the gasket.

Ended up using 4MM, with the 3MM it would not fit at all. 4MM and the small gasket, pretty solid. Still not very SNUG but its tight enough.

Looks good will report in the daytime.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

You only use the longer screws if you need the collar. Since you do not use the collar on the rear turn signals you use the shorter screws. As far as the gasket, my 08 Type S used the gasket that was the same diameter as the actual V3 LED unit so I guess that was the smaller gasket. My rear turns fit in very nicely and pretty snug just like the OEM bulb socket.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Do these LEDs start to have a light blue color after it gets hot?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by winkyyy
Do these LEDs start to have a light blue color after it gets hot?
I have never seen LED's turn different colors after they get hot!?!
I have heard of cheap HID kits that do though maybe thats what your talking about?
Besides, my V3's are red and amber soooo definately no turning blue for them lol

So no, none of the V3 LED's will change color.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I just had these installed as my turn signal bulbs on my TSX and must say these things are spectacular. I have never seen a set of signal bulbs that are this bright. I had them installed at the dealership and they were in awe as to how bright they are. Initially I though $100 was crazy for some bulbs but after seeing all the components that come as part of the package as well as how bright these things are, I would have paid more. You truly can't appreciate how bright these are without seeing them in person.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Are these bulbs universal fit for 1157 , 7440 and 7443 light sockets? I am asking because i have an 05 TL and plan on installing the 08 type-s headlight . Do i just get the bulb and the base 7443 system for the front and the base 7440 system for the rear?

Thank you
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Racer

Yup, that'll work.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
AZP I am pretty sure if you went with a 5k led DRL to match those switchbacks you would be alot happier especially at dusk when you have parking lights on before full HID's.

It flows so much better with lighting. But its your call. Either way those V3's look awesome.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
ebelp needs to post his results with these bulbs

Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Didn't you buy these Austin?? You didn't get switchbacks tho did you??
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Race Director

Nope, just the rear signals. They were too expensive to order both sets, however I do plan on getting them in the future.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you order the CLS too? Also can you please take pics of the installation.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Race Director

Me? My install is on page 2.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sauceja
AZP I am pretty sure if you went with a 5k led DRL to match those switchbacks you would be alot happier especially at dusk when you have parking lights on before full HID's.

It flows so much better with lighting. But its your call. Either way those V3's look awesome.
I probably will when there's a V3 available for the 9005.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

For cls. Do we need 1pair or 2 pairs if want to install the front and rear?

Quick Reply: Received my VLED Triton V3 LED park and turn bulbs! A few pics inside!