3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,968 Likes on 14,485 Posts
Holy shit...you must hate your life!
2 weeks and you're ALREADY THINKING about going back!?

That's worse Sunday blues than I ever get!

Good, reaction evoked!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Holy shit...you must hate your life!
2 weeks and you're ALREADY THINKING about going back!?

That's worse Sunday blues than I ever get!

Good, reaction evoked!
Haha nah, it's just that I got 3 weeks but I'm taking one at christmas. But you know, with the cold and everything christmas time isn't that nice.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Registered Bunny

Relevant for Flip:
Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I apologize in advance for this but what in the fuck happened to the problems and fixes section???????????

I saw where Joe mentioned it but I thought it was as it was a year or so ago when I stopped looking at it. I've scanned it over for the past couple days and I've never seen anything that horrible. It's just embarrassing.

How about this: If you know nothing about cars and you're talking out of your ass, just don't say anything at all. A bunch of blank unanswered threads would be better than what's going on in there. I think I'm going to resign to one liners or just continue to stay away because there's no hope for that forum.
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Registered Bunny

Hey Matt, don't take it so personal. It's not your responsibility to educate everyone whether they're wrong or right. Eventually that takes its toll on you and its only going to tire you and leave you no time for things that actually matter. Let people make their own decisions, mistakes and the part of things, who to believe and who to discredit.
In the words of Harvey Dent: "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Take care.
rockstar143 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by polobunny
Hey Matt, don't take it so personal. It's not your responsibility to educate everyone whether they're wrong or right. Eventually that takes its toll on you and its only going to tire you and leave you no time for things that actually matter. Let people make their own decisions, mistakes and the part of things, who to believe and who to discredit.
In the words of Harvey Dent: "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Take care.
Lol so true. I've already become the villain once. Now it's time to learn to sit back and relax even when I know the answer. I've been mostly replying to PMs and staying away from that section for over a year. I just had to peek and I wish I hadn't. Prior to this I was spending about 4-6 hours a day in there trying to keep it all straightened out.
rockstar143 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Received 299 Likes on 249 Posts
Super random but... Polo was it you that said you liked Wagner pads? Which would you recommend, ThermoQuiet? I'm a little limited on choices with RL calipers
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Lol so true. I've already become the villain once. Now it's time to learn to sit back and relax even when I know the answer. I've been mostly replying to PMs and staying away from that section for over a year. I just had to peek and I wish I hadn't. Prior to this I was spending about 4-6 hours a day in there trying to keep it all straightened out.
Bingo.
Share your knowledge with those who really want to hear about it.

Originally Posted by N1h1l1ty
Super random but... Polo was it you that said you liked Wagner pads? Which would you recommend, ThermoQuiet? I'm a little limited on choices with RL calipers
Yep, TQ pads are great commercial pads. Obviously they're not racing oriented like sintered pads or the like but they're more then good for DD. Low noise low dust good braking performance. I've never had TQs squeal for instance.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I apologize in advance for this but what in the fuck happened to the problems and fixes section???????????

I saw where Joe mentioned it but I thought it was as it was a year or so ago when I stopped looking at it. I've scanned it over for the past couple days and I've never seen anything that horrible. It's just embarrassing.

How about this: If you know nothing about cars and you're talking out of your ass, just don't say anything at all. A bunch of blank unanswered threads would be better than what's going on in there. I think I'm going to resign to one liners or just continue to stay away because there's no hope for that forum.
It's crazy. I hope you didn't take my reply to Chad or the clogged cat thread seriously. I give sarcastic or over the top advice nowadays when the OP is full of themselves. Blind leading the blind, scary.
rockstar143 (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Yep, TQ pads are great commercial pads. Obviously they're not racing oriented like sintered pads or the like but they're more then good for DD. Low noise low dust good braking performance. I've never had TQs squeal for instance.
Cool, going to go with them for my RL calipers and then something more aggressive in the rear, probably EBC redstuff. I have to say, super frustrated that I couldn't find a Canadian retailer for Stoptech / Centric that carried at least some of their performance line, at least not at a price that wasn't the equivalent of eye gouging.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Registered Bunny

Cool, going to go with them for my RL calipers and then something more aggressive in the rear, probably EBC redstuff. I have to say, super frustrated that I couldn't find a Canadian retailer for Stoptech / Centric that carried at least some of their performance line, at least not at a price that wasn't the equivalent of eye gouging.
Rockauto?
Old 07-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Rockauto?
Shipping was insane for them. Ended up with carpartkings (10% off ftw?) shipping to Niagara and I'll just pick them up from there.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Registered Bunny

Shipping was insane for them. Ended up with carpartkings (10% off ftw?) shipping to Niagara and I'll just pick them up from there.
I'm surprised because I've bought my pads and rotors from rockauto and it was cheaper for quality stuff than the cheapest I could find locally!
Pads and rotors all 4 wheels for $250.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Confusing Name Guy

Yeah I went Stoptech Drill+Slot all around (and since its RL calipers, I gotta get the 12.8" 350Z Brembo rotors) so it ended up being a fair bit pricier - Pads I can just get off amazon and it won't be too bad, about 100$ after shipping / taxes. I'll probably do TQ front and back.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do stainless lines right off the bat or wait a little since I'm already deep into overhauling the brakes.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Registered Bunny

I haven't put SS lines on the TL yet because of budget constraints but I miss the feel of it. The brakes are not abnormally spongy but once you go SS you don't go back easily...
Old 07-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Has anyone successfully utilized the RL calipers without messing up brake bias on their 3G? I thought there was no easy way of doing it. What's wrong with your brakes anyway? Or are you just going for the bling factor. I have a feeling these calipers will not end up doing what you expect of them...
Old 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM

PS, for PB since you'll probably see it here. I think I've confirmed this is the oem bulb for the S2000 as I had it on the silver one and now this one.

Name:  20150718_080002_001_zpsw5day8l3.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  245.9 KB
polobunny (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Registered Bunny

PS, for PB since you'll probably see it here. I think I've confirmed this is the oem bulb for the S2000 as I had it on the silver one and now this one.

Haha, proper bulb. Gonna keep it or switch to CBIs?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Has anyone successfully utilized the RL calipers without messing up brake bias on their 3G? I thought there was no easy way of doing it. What's wrong with your brakes anyway? Or are you just going for the bling factor. I have a feeling these calipers will not end up doing what you expect of them...
The brake bias being skewed can easily be adjusted with a proportioning valve for the master cylinder and some street testing - Its also relatively easy to fix if you balance less aggressive front pads with something like EBC redstuff in the rear.

I think there isn't nearly enough information suggesting that this is a serious issue with the swap, plus from most of the threads I've gone through with folks using the RL calipers, they were quite pleased with the performance - I've yet to hear someone say it degraded the performance of their brakes.

Considering I got the calipers and the bracket for under 400$, I'm perfectly happy trying it out. In fact I've been exploring STI 2 pot calipers for the rear to complete the look, just need to figure out what rotors would work.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Confusing Name Guy

Oh and yes I do enjoy the bling factor

I'm sure I'm about to have an epic shit-storm of people telling me that "the math proves it won't work optimally".

Last edited by N1h1l1ty; 07-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

I'm sure I'm about to have an epic shit-storm of people telling me that "the math proves it won't work optimally".
The math is incredibly simple in predicting brake bias and performance. You're going to use a caliper with more piston area us a considerably larger rotor on top of that. I'm glad I live far away from you as I would not want to share the streets with you.

You think you're just going to throw a prop valve in there and it's just going to work? Maybe if the car was built in the '70s. How are you going to get around EBFD? Besides all out braking, a prop valve is going to work against the EBFD because the ECU wants to see nearly full line pressure to the rears under light braking and the mechanical prop valve will not allow this. The car is designed around this and it's going to wander more under normal braking.

Under full braking you will have both the mechanical valve and the electronic valve reducing rear pressure. I can see where this is going real quick. If you're doing this for the bling and throwing your braking out the window, why not just plug off the rear brake lines and have only front brakes. The car would be more predictable, probably safer than having two prop valves working against each other, and you will never have to replace rear pads again. Or you could stop doing things the ghetto way and engineer it correctly using the correct piston area so none of the other crap is necessary.

What exactly are you trying to do? What's the goal?
TacoBello (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
So is there a simple rule if thumb? I've never played with brakes on a newer car with a brain, always been old school no abs stuff, so this is new to me but now you've got me thinking.

Without really digging into things, would it be as simple as making sure the change to the front and rear are changed in the same proportion? Eg, if you increase the front piston area by 30% then the rear needs to increase 30% as well? Likewise increasing the front pad/rotor contact area by 25% means the rear needs to be increased 25% also?

That way, because the brake computer still thinks its acting on a stock system and if the f/r balance has changed proportionally, then the system doesn't get upset because of an imbalance?

Or is it much more complicated?

Or, is this the entirely wrong place to discuss this and you can just tell me to go toss a salad?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 PM

The math is incredibly simple in predicting brake bias and performance. You're going to use a caliper with more piston area us a considerably larger rotor on top of that. I'm glad I live far away from you as I would not want to share the streets with you.

You think you're just going to throw a prop valve in there and it's just going to work? Maybe if the car was built in the '70s. How are you going to get around EBFD? Besides all out braking, a prop valve is going to work against the EBFD because the ECU wants to see nearly full line pressure to the rears under light braking and the mechanical prop valve will not allow this. The car is designed around this and it's going to wander more under normal braking.

Under full braking you will have both the mechanical valve and the electronic valve reducing rear pressure. I can see where this is going real quick. If you're doing this for the bling and throwing your braking out the window, why not just plug off the rear brake lines and have only front brakes. The car would be more predictable, probably safer than having two prop valves working against each other, and you will never have to replace rear pads again. Or you could stop doing things the ghetto way and engineer it correctly using the correct piston area so none of the other crap is necessary.

What exactly are you trying to do? What's the goal?
Don't get mad at him Matt...he literally has been fed all that information from the very people you were complaining about on the forums.

I don't know shit about braking. What I do know is if my TL didn't come with front Brembos...I'd paint everything black and maybe throw the rdx covers on to look clean. I think it's nuts to upgrade to bbk on the car...I also think it's crazy to supercharge or turbo it. It's fast enough...if I wanted faster, I'd buy an RL with upgraded tires.

The quest for more will always end in empty feelings and wallets.
Gotta desire, gotta aspire, but gotta know when you've reached Zen too.
TacoBello (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 PM

Old 07-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

Don't get mad at him Matt...he literally has been fed all that information from the very people you were complaining about on the forums.

I don't know shit about braking. What I do know is if my TL didn't come with front Brembos...I'd paint everything black and maybe throw the rdx covers on to look clean. I think it's nuts to upgrade to bbk on the car...I also think it's crazy to supercharge or turbo it. It's fast enough...if I wanted faster, I'd buy an RL with upgraded tires.

The quest for more will always end in empty feelings and wallets.
I'm not mad. Just frustrated because I know he will listen to the BS others have taught him. I don't think there's even a goal with this upgrade. If it's just bling it's a lot of money and risk on a very important system just to have others give their approval. I know Im different, I ordered the black calipers to hide that I have a BBK but I don't understand making the car less safe because you want to show off your larger than stock rotors. It's like running drilled rotors. You're sacrificing reliability for looks. There's no performance advantage, no reason other than looks to go drilled unless you're racing in the rain. I'm honestly not mad at all. I know I come across that way much of the time. Sometimes things just don't make sense to me so I'm left shaking my head. I'm extremely easy going, it just doesn't come across that way. I'm the guy that annoys everyone because I can never be serious.
TacoBello (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:48 PM

CUJoe, knows what's up...
Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 PM

...whoah whoah whoah...
now you've crossed the line...dissin drilled rotors!

I know what you mean, man...
Trust me...I get dickish a lot too...

ayo ninja...how you do that? nawww...you don't do that like that.
ayo...I'm lazy...how I do dat?
Yoooo, ayee...how you did that?

FUCKKKKK
Figure it out or at the very least, leave me the fuck alone if you're just fishing!
Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Evening.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:52 AM
Team Owner

I'd like to see a comparison of your stock brakes and the "upgrades" you're looking to do. An honest, no BS, before and after comparison on stopping distances.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:56 AM
Team Owner

...whoah whoah whoah...
now you've crossed the line...dissin drilled rotors!

I know you're joking, at least partially, but I've been saying the same for years. You lose brake surface area with those holes!! A BBK can get away with it, or any BMW, Benz, you name it, with drilled rotors because their rotor and caliper sizes are ginormous enough to compensate for the loss of surface area. But drilling holes in the same sized rotor/caliper combo is a
Old 07-19-2015, 02:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Old 07-19-2015, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

What's shakin', Flippy?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:51 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I don't know how many times I advised against doing BBK, specifically on the rears. As Matt alluded, you're just asking for it. We have a couple members here who can attest first hand. One went into a wall, totaled, and the other lost control on the interstate.
rockstar143 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM

That is why I have ebay caliper covers on the back that mimic the infiniti single pot rear.

Adam...I'm kinda kidding, kinda not because I have them, but I got them before knowing better. I have them for the looks. I had the brakemotive setup originally and it warped. Ended up throwing the rotors on that Tyler got in a package deal for his coilovers (he let me keep the rotos). I might throw the brembo blanks back on one day, but they have rust and I like the look.
TacoBello (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Confusing Name Guy

While I still seriously doubt that the RL calipers are going to catastrophically alter the bias (again, I stand by what I said, plenty of people have run them and have been very happy), Ill take into account what IHC has pointed out and likely go the Stoptech touring route instead - I'm sure someone will pick up the calipers off me. My other (bigger?) concern is the potential headache of the 350z rotors not fitting at this point.
rockstar143 (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Confusing Name Guy

I hate and love you guys at the same time
Old 07-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Morning all. Just taking a small breather and then back to housework...then, I can relax for the rest of the day.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,675 Likes on 6,693 Posts
The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)

What's with all the civil talk in here, aren't you all supposed to tossing salads and such..

It's nice to come to a forum and see advice being given and taken with grace!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi
What's with all the civil talk in here, aren't you all supposed to tossing salads and such..

It's nice to come to a forum and see cawk being given and taken with grace!
I think you meant...
TacoBello (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM

I love cock.

Just my own though.
TacoBello (07-19-2015)

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Trois)