3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,777 Likes on 13,968 Posts
Originally Posted by polobunny
This isn't Alberta, man. The inbreds are on the east side.

Also my brother had a stupid friend he met on FB through one of his friends, a blonde girl who believed almost anything he said. My brother name is David by the way.

Twas the year of Pats vs Giants and my brother and I are having wings drinking some beer and he made that friend believe he was Tom Brady through texting. Whenever he'd check his wrist band he would text her telling her he could only text between plays and to look at the TV for him for #12. She knows nothing to football obviously. He tells her his real name is David Tom Brady, but people would call him David outside of football.

So this goes on for a while, she's not sure if she should believe him until he tells her he's gonna wave at her when he gets a second and not a minute after camera focuses on Brady who does a hand motion that kinda looks like a wave at the camera problably to signal one of the guys. I fucking lost it when she texted back all impressed, saying she told her grandpa who was watching with her she knew Tom Brady.

When the Pats lost, she texted him she was still proud of him and "Congratulations for your Super Bowl" as a terrible pick me up.
God we laughed for so long and still do every once in a while.

Wow, that's a stunt by your brother. Give him a high-5 for me.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Registered Bunny

Received 1,073 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
That's funny Bunny!
Originally Posted by Jamie's 08 TL
Coffee shot out of my nose reading that story PB.
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber
Polo I'm dying. Too funny
We almost felt bad for making her believe that shit, but he replies were so golden we just couldn't stop. Made 2012 Superbowl that much more entertaining.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello

Oh, quit yer cryin', boy!

Be smarter than gwairo. Don't ret gwairo win. Work ress hard, deverop better peopre skirrs, move to top of management. Gwairo no smart, but gwairo pray system werr. Outsmart gwairo at own game!
I need to turn white too. You forgot that part.

And I think failing at major projects is also important. I need to start blowing $$$$$$ implementations...on purpose.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered Bunny

Originally Posted by Yumcha

Wow, that's a stunt by your brother. Give him a high-5 for me.
I shall! Good times to be had when the brothers hang together.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I shall! Good times to be had when the brothers bang together.
Is that with each other, or just in the same room at the same time?
Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,675 Likes on 6,693 Posts
And I think failing at major projects is also important. I need to start blowing $$$$$$ implementations...on purpose.
Gwairos don't call it "failing", they call it "lessons learned" and business write-offs.

To be gwairo, you should also have a GREAT CPA that knows all the tips and tricks and pay as little taxes as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Yumcha (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Registered Bunny

Is that with each other, or just in the same room at the same time?
Nothing like a good ol' brotherly Eiffel tower.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Team Owner

I need to turn white too. You forgot that part.

It's people with great people skills that move to the top of companies.

It's people with smarts that stay in middle management for their entire careers.

Food for thought.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Registered Bunny

It's people with smarts that stay in middle management for their entire careers.

Food for thought.
It's people with taco cats as their avatars that read too much Confucius.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Gwairos don't call it "failing", they call it "lessons learned" and business write-offs.

To be gwairo, you should also have a GREAT CPA that knows all the tips and tricks and pay as little taxes as possible.
If you always dwell on failing, you'll never make it very far. Put a better spin on it, learn, don't do it again, and succeed. Non gwailos are seemingly afraid of taking those leaps we gwailos do- and then we gwailos get shunned when we do no risk, no reward. No top positions.

Call it what you want, but it's gwailos who start these companies and gwailos who continue running them and leading them to success. So really, who's actually failing? it's ok, young padawans. You'll get there one day. But probably not.

And what's wrong with relying on an accountant? That's what they're for. Why would I waste my time crunching numbers when I should be schmoozing and meeting new prospective clients and making my pockets deeper? Shit, we must be doing it all wrong...
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Senior Moderator

If you always dwell on failing, you'll never make it very far. Put a better spin on it, learn, don't do it again, and succeed. Non gwailos are seemingly afraid of taking those leaps we gwailos do- and then we gwailos get shunned when we do no risk, no reward. No top positions.

Call it what you want, but it's gwailos who start these companies and gwailos who continue running them and leading them to success. So really, who's actually failing? it's ok, young padawans. You'll get there one day. But probably not.

And what's wrong with relying on an accountant? That's what they're for. Why would I waste my time crunching numbers when I should be schmoozing and meeting new prospective clients and making my pockets deeper? Shit, we must be doing it all wrong...
Yeah, non-gwailos are afraid of failing because they usually don't have cushy trust funds or rich parents to fall back on :wink:

The silicon valley / tech startups are blowing up with so I wouldn't write off non-gwailos just yet.

Nothing wrong with an accountant at all, I have one and use him all the time. It was meant to be a stab at our conservatives who don't like to pay taxes, go out of their ways to complain at how the lower 99% is living off of government handouts.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,986 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

Brah, we need to setup APC trip 2.0, cram ourselves into Rick's 458 and hit up the titty bars.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I've had the expensive stuff Yummy.. I'm good with Henny XO and Kelt VSOP. Not a fan of Remy. My mom has like five or six bottles on display. Rare grande champagne.. I feel guilty even looking at them.. $$

You know asians think blue label is like coca cola.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have never read the word gwailo so much in my life. It's like if my unknowingly racist step-dad wrote a book
justnspace (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Food for thought.
Asking for a friend... but what if you had great people skills AND smarts? Where would you be?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Asking for a friend... but what if you had great people skills AND smarts? Where would you be?
As a person moves up the chain of command, they generally start relying less on their technical skills and start relying more on their people skills. It's good to have both, but eventually people will outweigh technical.

At first, at the bottom, a person relies on 20% people skills and 80% job specific technical expertise. By the time you're at the top, it's 80% people skills and 20% technical expertise.

Not only are you trying to manage your personnel, any conflicting behaviour types, motivating slackers, encouraging performers, etc, but you also deal with clients, business deals, making sure relationships don't disintegrate, understanding how and why people are the way they are and getting the most out of them in each respective case, whether it be clients, owners, competitors, subordinates, higher ups, etc.

I personally believe that developing your people skills is pertinent. That's not to say that technical skills aren't important, because they are, but how often does the president of, say, Acura care about the technical specs of certain parts of a car? I'm willing to bet, not so much. I'm sure he has knowledge of new developments, etc, but his bread and butter is on the people side.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber
I have never read the word gwailo so much in my life. It's like if my unknowingly racist step-dad wrote a book
Your step father sounds like a learned man.. Gwairo trying to keep us down.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Team Owner

We're not trying. We let you do it all on your own
Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 AM

btw.. whose that lovely looking hooker in your avatar. I'd pay her good money for a rim job. Ten.. maybe twelve dollars if she's good.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

We're not trying. We let you do it all on your own

Tarrest gwairo first.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Registered Bunny

As a person moves up the chain of command, they generally start relying less on their technical skills and start relying more on their people skills. It's good to have both, but eventually people will outweigh technical.

At first, at the bottom, a person relies on 20% people skills and 80% job specific technical expertise. By the time you're at the top, it's 80% people skills and 20% technical expertise.

Not only are you trying to manage your personnel, any conflicting behaviour types, motivating slackers, encouraging performers, etc, but you also deal with clients, business deals, making sure relationships don't disintegrate, understanding how and why people are the way they are and getting the most out of them in each respective case, whether it be clients, owners, competitors, subordinates, higher ups, etc.

I personally believe that developing your people skills is pertinent. That's not to say that technical skills aren't important, because they are, but how often does the president of, say, Acura care about the technical specs of certain parts of a car? I'm willing to bet, not so much. I'm sure he has knowledge of new developments, etc, but his bread and butter is on the people side.
Not everybody can be a leader. Sometimes depending on your personality type, sticking to doing your technical job well is the best thing you can do. Too many bosses are shitty bosses.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I've had the expensive stuff Yummy.. I'm good with Henny XO and Kelt VSOP. Not a fan of Remy. My mom has like five or six bottles on display. Rare grande champagne.. I feel guilty even looking at them.. $$

You know asians think blue label is like coca cola.
Yeah, I'm no snob...I mean, good is good...so, I'll probably spit out say, JW Red Label if it were served straight versus mixed into something.

But, otherwise, I don't need bottles that cost $200+ regularly (speaking in Canadian dollars). An $80 bottle is just as good and frankly perfect for me for all situations.

And your comment about JW Blue? It's ...! I say this because my in-laws know ONLY JW. And that's it. If I try to introduce any other form of scotch whiskey, they think it's crap and are not as willing to accept it. I'm like, are you even tasting the drink or so blinded by the brand?!??

Old 01-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Team Owner

Not everybody can be a leader. Sometimes depending on your personality type, sticking to doing your technical job well is the best thing you can do. Too many bosses are shitty bosses.
Oh, 100% agreed. People can take courses to help themselves out though. Sometimes people just don't know what they're missing as a leader until it's pointed out to them. It's hard to improve something if you think it's all good in the first place.

Some people have it come naturally, others work diligently to improve, while many just suck horribly and never change, lol.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Resident BMW Apologist

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
LOL'd at the Tom Brady story. That's too too good.

May have a buyer for the Firebird. Guy from New York is allegedly coming down on Friday and meeting me at work to pick it up.

I put brakes on it last night... pads were basically at the backing plates which made me feel great about having driven it to work yesterday. The CEL popped on during a WOT run on the Beltway so I gotta clear that code, whatever it is. Was one of those *punch it* moments, run the bitch up to 5500 rpm (which is basically where an LS1 experiences valve float) and watch the CEL come on as I kissed redline. Fucking GM.

The car dwarfs my E36 and barely fits in the garage. This is with it pulled in just enough to let the garage door close. Usually there's another oh, foot of room between the nose of the car and the tool cart.

The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Part 2)-zl2cwhn.jpg
Old 01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

btw.. whose that lovely looking hooker in your avatar. I'd pay her good money for a rim job. Ten.. maybe twelve dollars if she's good.
Taylor Swift, yo.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Now that's a garage.. 4-5 cans of half used PB Blaster and brake clean is a sure sign of legitimacy.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM

Taylor Swift, yo.
Sounds like a top notch tosser.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

And your comment about JW Blue? It's ...! I say this because my in-laws know ONLY JW. And that's it. If I try to introduce any other form of scotch whiskey, they think it's crap and are not as willing to accept it. I'm like, are you even tasting the drink or so blinded by the brand?!??

Lol, JW Blue isn't even all that special. JW itself isn't all that special, lol.

I do enjoy a good scotch though. A few friends of mine only drink scotch neat- there's some I can do it with, but some that are just too powerful tasting for me. I do like using those ice rocks though. I know, I know, I'm not a purist at heart, but fuck it, it allows me to enjoy it that much more, and that's all I care about.

I know purists are all about their single malts, but I've had blends that I've really enjoyed. I have a feeling that if the purists didn't see the bottle, they wouldn't be the wiser. Granted, blends are generally cheaper, but there are some crazy expensive ones out there too. As far as I'm concerned, if you like it, drink it and forget what all the haters say.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered Bunny

Oh, 100% agreed. People can take courses to help themselves out though. Sometimes people just don't know what they're missing as a leader until it's pointed out to them. It's hard to improve something if you think it's all good in the first place.

Some people have it come naturally, others work diligently to improve, while many just suck horribly and never change, lol.
You never had my bosses. All fit in the last category it seems.

Originally Posted by Brake_L8
LOL'd at the Tom Brady story. That's too too good.

May have a buyer for the Firebird. Guy from New York is allegedly coming down on Friday and meeting me at work to pick it up.

I put brakes on it last night... pads were basically at the backing plates which made me feel great about having driven it to work yesterday. The CEL popped on during a WOT run on the Beltway so I gotta clear that code, whatever it is. Was one of those *punch it* moments, run the bitch up to 5500 rpm (which is basically where an LS1 experiences valve float) and watch the CEL come on as I kissed redline. Fucking GM.

The car dwarfs my E36 and barely fits in the garage. This is with it pulled in just enough to let the garage door close. Usually there's another oh, foot of room between the nose of the car and the tool cart.

DAVID TOM BRADY!

Hopefully your guy isn't a flake, they all too often are. Fucking hate buying and selling shit online. 12 calls 30 texts only to disappear like they never wanted to buy your shit and never answering again. What gives man?

Regarding the brakes, I've went through a rear caliper on the Protégé since it was caliper against rotor for a while. Nothing scares me anymore, I'm invincible.

And oh GM, you and your CELs. Did you scan it yet?

Also that's what she said about pulled in just enough... or something. Can't be arsed making a proper joke.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Resident BMW Apologist

Hopefully your guy isn't a flake, they all too often are. Fucking hate buying and selling shit online. 12 calls 30 texts only to disappear like they never wanted to buy your shit and never answering again. What gives man?

Regarding the brakes, I've went through a rear caliper on the Protégé since it was caliper against rotor for a while. Nothing scares me anymore, I'm invincible.

And oh GM, you and your CELs. Did you scan it yet?

Also that's what she said about pulled in just enough... or something. Can't be arsed making a proper joke.
Yeah, I hate selling cars on Craigslist. This guy claims he already has two F-bodies (and I found him on Facebook, he's telling the truth) and has asked the right questions about it.

I didn't scan the code yet, I use an OBD adapter with the Torque app on an Android tablet - and the tablet was dead last night. D'oh. So, it's charging and should be good to go tonight. I don't care what it is, I'm just going to clear it. And bring the scanner with me on Friday so I can clear it as I pull up to meet him, if need be.

#ShadyAssMofo
Old 01-21-2015, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I hate selling cars on Craigslist. This guy claims he already has two F-bodies (and I found him on Facebook, he's telling the truth) and has asked the right questions about it.

I didn't scan the code yet, I use an OBD adapter with the Torque app on an Android tablet - and the tablet was dead last night. D'oh. So, it's charging and should be good to go tonight. I don't care what it is, I'm just going to clear it. And bring the scanner with me on Friday so I can clear it as I pull up to meet him, if need be.

#ShadyAssMofo
That's fucked up.. I'm not even mixing words. That's a POS move right there.

Last edited by Majofo; 01-21-2015 at 01:12 PM.
ggesq (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Registered Bunny

#ShadyAssMofo
Tsk tsk karma will bite you back, not cool man.

Also +1 for Torque.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Yeah man, don't pull a Frosty.

It's a sub-5k car. It's not gonna be mint. I'm sure the prospective buyer knows this. Be straight up with the guy.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 PM

We might fuck around in here but we don't fuck around when it comes to shady shit. You bought that car for a couple of bills and you're trying to scam it off. You know that's wrong. Pull the code, fix it or let the guy know.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Resident BMW Apologist

I mean, if it's something legitimate like an O2 sensor that failed, I'll tell him about it. Particularly if the light keeps coming back on. But my spidey-sense has me thinking, based on conditions when the light came on (high RPM, heavy load) that it stumbled/mis-fired just hard enough to trip the light.

I'd bet money that it's a "Cylinder #__ Misfire" and clearing it will make the light stay off for good. My 128i had a Cylinder 6 Misfire logged and the CEL lit when I went to buy it. I cleared it and it never came back in almost 20k miles.

I'm not going to clear it without knowing what it is. Should've phrased that better... I'm not that much of a dickbag.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:32 PM
Registered Bunny

I mean, if it's something legitimate like an O2 sensor that failed, I'll tell him about it. Particularly if the light keeps coming back on. But my spidey-sense has me thinking, based on conditions when the light came on (high RPM, heavy load) that it stumbled/mis-fired just hard enough to trip the light.

I'd bet money that it's a "Cylinder #__ Misfire" and clearing it will make the light stay off for good. My 128i had a Cylinder 6 Misfire logged and the CEL lit when I went to buy it. I cleared it and it never came back in almost 20k miles.

I'm not going to clear it without knowing what it is. Should've phrased that better... I'm not that much of a dickbag.
Worded that way it is better. If it's a misfire it could be a lot of things, including a simple spark plug job or similar. Thought you were trying to be bag of penises for a moment.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Resident BMW Apologist

Worded that way it is better. If it's a misfire it could be a lot of things, including a simple spark plug job or similar. Thought you were trying to be bag of penises for a moment.
What I like, versus what I aspire to be, are two different things

The misfire thing is weird to me. On the 128, it had the original plugs (I bought it at 44k), I cleared the code and drove the absolute shit out of the car and the code never came back.

Come to think of it, my M3 pulled similar shenanigans on the drive home (got it in NJ). Threw a CEL for... something. Maybe for an O2 mis-read? Same deal though, I cleared it and drove the car like it owed me money for a few weeks. Never had a problem with it again.

I wonder if the car sitting for a while before me driving it (and driving it hard) has things in a state of Taylor-Swift-inspired "Shake It Off"?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM

That's still dickish to me. If the guy is a big f-body guy.. assuming it is a common issue.. you should let him know and it won't be a big deal. He might kick back and ask for a couple hundred off but it threw the CEL while you owned it. You did the brakes.. be the good guy all the way. I don't know you from Tom (TB), Dick (PB), or Harry (Wagon), but if you start doing shit like that, it becomes a downward slope. You're still going to make profit.
ggesq (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Registered Bunny

What I like, versus what I aspire to be, are two different things

The misfire thing is weird to me. On the 128, it had the original plugs (I bought it at 44k), I cleared the code and drove the absolute shit out of the car and the code never came back.

Come to think of it, my M3 pulled similar shenanigans on the drive home (got it in NJ). Threw a CEL for... something. Maybe for an O2 mis-read? Same deal though, I cleared it and drove the car like it owed me money for a few weeks. Never had a problem with it again.

I wonder if the car sitting for a while before me driving it (and driving it hard) has things in a state of Taylor-Swift-inspired "Shake It Off"?
Bit of water in the tank can make it stutter. Shitty gas station near where I live made any car I brought there run like crap, gas just wasn't good so I'd say anything is possible. They would stutter to the point you'd think something was wrong. Some threw a CEL and if i'd run the tank almost dry, fill the car back up and clear the CEL it would never come back.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 PM

Could be fouled plugs, plugged cat, o-ring, shit gas in the tank.. all of it cheap. If it needs a valve job.. well, you don't know any better than the next guy, just tell him the code.
polobunny (01-21-2015)

Quick Reply: The 3G Ramblings & General Discussion Thread (Part 2)