Retrofit RDX 2020 infotainment control unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knakane
I also would be interested in paying for a pre-made kit.. wiring is not my forte.
Hi,
I am sorry ; I was so busy, and I did not even look @ the forum messages. I can make kits 24 to 20 pin. Who wants it? I just have to order the pieces and make them.
The following users liked this post:
goverstreet (08-16-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi guys, I am so happy to see all this progress for the project I started it few months ago. Please let me know if you need any help. I was crazy busy moving our hospital to a new building, and I did see any forum messages.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skddoc
Hey Chief, sorry for all of the trouble you are having. The shop was the best alternative for the sodering and pin installation for me. On the LDVS cable, I would just cut off the original grey connector cap at the infotainment end and refit with the blue cap. The cable has to be run perfectly with no bends to keep it from flickering and the factory cable obviously works the best and is routed the best way.
hi.
Do not cut the grey cap and install the blue cap. The cable will be short and it will not reach the port. For the flickering, I ended up unsoldering the grey cap and solder the bluecap. no more flickering at all. If u are not handy there is cables @aliexpress for 35$ that is high quality but you need to shorten it as it come long and this might cause some flickering.
Old 08-07-2024, 07:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screen Flickering

Thanks Bebo! Glad to see you back in! When soldering the ends, did you just redo the connections? How did you unsolder without removing the caps? and by unsoldering what keeps the connection on the greycap?

Could you provide a link for the better cable? They all seem to appear to be the same.

Thanks again! I love my wireless Apple Car Play, wireless charger, and Idlestopper installs

Last edited by skddoc; 08-07-2024 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Love seeing the technical details and collaboration in this thread.

At this point I'm waiting to see if the 2025 RDX ends up with a touch screen and then what it would take to retrofit that instead. Hoping the cabling is very similar and it just requires a new top bezel and screen. I imagine they'll move it forward closer to the driver.
Old 08-07-2024, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skddoc
Thanks Bebo! Glad to see you back in! When soldering the ends, did you just redo the connections? How did you unsolder without removing the caps? and by unsoldering what keeps the connection on the greycap?

Could you provide a link for the better cable? They all seem to appear to be the same.

Thanks again! I love my wireless Apple Car Play, wireless charger, and Idlestopper installs
Thank you. It was hectic over the last few months. What I did is I did open the car original grey plug at the infotainment control unit, and I unsolder the two wires and I soldered the blue plug instead. It came perfect and it is stable for 6 months now. I see Alixpress has Blue plugs and shirter cables but needs some modifications.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
$2.19 | for Toyota sienna Camry Host LVDS Data Cable Blue Plug 2pin
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK7QKRK

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqu2BWc

Last edited by bebo; 08-07-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 08:08 AM
10th Gear

Thanks, Bebo

Is there any reason for why this would work? I'm trying to understand how this makes it work.

Also, I replaced the wire with the one mentioned in the first post. - Therefore the blue plug is at the new infotainment and the grey is connected to the monitor.

Would you be willing to make this? I would be happy to purchase from you. I have no soldering equipment at the time.

Thanks for the help! -Scott
Old 08-16-2024, 05:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an update on my situation. I ended up bringing my car into Acura to get the crackling and popping TSB be done. It worked out perfectly. I was a little worried they would notice that I had swapped out my original head unit and deny me coverage, but they didn’t.

As for the LVDS cable and the video flickering. Ever since I’ve wrapped my cable it has been tolerable, so I haven’t really gotten a chance to try the new cable or try to build a new cable. I’m little reluctant to for the time being since I finally have uninterrupted audio again. But eventually I plan on altering the factory LVDS cable to fit the new HU.

Originally Posted by bebo
Thank you. It was hectic over the last few months. What I did is I did open the car original grey plug at the infotainment control unit, and I unsolder the two wires and I soldered the blue plug instead. It came perfect and it is stable for 6 months now. I see Alixpress has Blue plugs and shirter cables but needs some modifications.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
$2.19 | for Toyota sienna Camry Host LVDS Data Cable Blue Plug 2pin
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK7QKRK

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqu2BWc

Im a little confused about what you’re saying. What exactly did you need to solder? None of the parts that you’ve linked required any soldering.
Old 08-25-2024, 05:07 PM
7th Gear

I finally had some time today to get back to this project and finish the install. I ended up ordering pre-wired harnesses from Ali Express, which made the job a lot quicker because no intricate soldering is required. I don't think the pre-wired harnesses were available when I ordered the first time. So far, everything seems to be working. I'm currently updating the maps to the latest version.

I'm going to leave the dash disassembled until I'm sure the LVDS cable is ok. I've seen a little flicker so far, and that's just when sitting in my driveway. @goverstreet what did you end up doing about your screen flicker?

Attached is a document I put together that includes the essential information from this lengthy thread. Hopefully it helps someone out in the future.
Attached Files
sonyfever (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 11:37 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike2020RDX
I finally had some time today to get back to this project and finish the install. I ended up ordering pre-wired harnesses from Ali Express, which made the job a lot quicker because no intricate soldering is required. I don't think the pre-wired harnesses were available when I ordered the first time. So far, everything seems to be working. I'm currently updating the maps to the latest version.

I'm going to leave the dash disassembled until I'm sure the LVDS cable is ok. I've seen a little flicker so far, and that's just when sitting in my driveway. @goverstreet what did you end up doing about your screen flicker?

Attached is a document I put together that includes the essential information from this lengthy thread. Hopefully it helps someone out in the future.
nice job on the instructions!
Old 09-02-2024, 03:26 PM
10th Gear

Hey thanks, Mike! Any success with the Video Cable flicker? I have not taken it back a part since July 4th weekend... but plan to when I can determine the best next step.... everything else is working perfectly.

Also, the most important part when ordering the correct is making sure they order the correct unit that works for their Model...Tech, S, and such. Mine was an AWD Tech and I got lucky with the one I ordered. Also, I had the wiring harness built by an audio/video place near me that checked the pins and sodered and tested them for me. Loving my new Apple Car Play with no lag and the newer and faster Operating system.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:39 PM
7th Gear

Hey Scott - For the flicker, I wrapped the cheap cable in friction tape from end to end, paying particular attention to the ends. That eliminated the flicker for me, even when starting the car. I also used friction tape around the new wiring, but I don't think that made a difference. At this point, everything is working great for me and I put the dash back together. The new unit boots faster and is very responsive. There is no more annoying beeping when it boots, like the old unit did when the processor could not keep up. And I did not realize that the new unit would show turn by turn directions in my HUD when using Carplay. Sweet! Overall, I'm happy with the results, even though it took me a while to get it done.
Old 09-02-2024, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, Mike.

Can you link the friction tape you used? Any pics?

I will do the same… I routed the cable through some of the open area due to the difficulty of of getting it through the holes… may have to reroute as well.

I love the responsiveness too! Thanks to all who made this project possible!!!
Old 09-03-2024, 06:28 PM
7th Gear

Hi Scott - I used 3M Temflex friction tape (3/4 inch x 20 feet) because that's what they had at Lowe's or Home Depot (I forget which one). I used more than half of the roll. Sorry, I didn't take pics.

Last edited by Mike2020RDX; 09-03-2024 at 06:32 PM.
skddoc (09-03-2024)