Infotainment System Litigation, 2019, 2020 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Infotainment System Litigation, 2019, 2020 RDX

I just got a letter and application to be a participant in the settlement. Anyone else get this?

https://www.settlement-claims.com/infotainment/acuraindex.aspx
Old 10-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 696 Likes on 538 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I just got a letter and application to be a participant in the settlement. Anyone else get this?

https://www.settlement-claims.com/in...curaindex.aspx
yes, everyone is getting. I am trying to get 2yr acuralink:
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
yes, everyone is getting. I am trying to get 2yr acuralink:
You will only receive the Security portion and not the Remote package. Pretty much worthless.
pilozm (10-03-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tecwerks
You will only receive the Security portion and not the Remote package. Pretty much worthless.
well, at least something…
Old 10-03-2021, 07:22 AM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
I’m not bothering to even send it back. My system settled down, and I don’t want what they are offering.
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
amcobra (10-05-2021), oblio98 (10-09-2021), tecwerks (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:22 AM
Skeptic

I already have the remote package. The security package would be a plus because, although I can lock and unlock the doors with the remote package, you need the security package to see if the doors are actually locked or unlocked. Dumb, huh?

In putting in the claim, they don't make anything easy. The paper claim form doesn't come with a return envelope. The letter says you can file electronically at the above link but it's not a web form. The PDF form online is not fillable. You have to print the form, fill it out by hand, scan it, then email it to am_ahm_claims_administration@ahm.honda.com . That's not electronic.

They are daring you to make a mistake or get just frustrated enough not to bother.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
amcobra (10-05-2021), pilozm (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
...They are daring you to make a mistake or get just frustrated enough not to bother.
And the lawyers make millions, as in most class actions. Waste of time.
amcobra (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 11:37 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
We've only had our 2019 aspec for a month and a half and i got the email for this lol
Just deleted since as most of them are.... are a waste of time
Old 10-03-2021, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
I traded my 2019 on a 2021. Since the class action doesn’t apply to 2021, I just threw it in the recycle bin.
Old 10-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I requested 2 years, not providing any documents, let them contact dealer and figure out, I am not wasting time looking for documents…
Old 10-03-2021, 12:54 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Too bad it took a class action lawsuit to stand behind their product, and that they didn't automatically have the warranty extended to cover what the 'suit covers. I know there was a MOST coverage extension, and assume this issue is something else. As it is, we bought the extended warranty that covered an extra 2 or 3 years (I don't recall) so mine is covered anyway. But again, if the issue is that real and that big of a problem, wouldn't a forthright company step-up and make sure this issue is covered? I mean....one objective of being a manufacturer is to have repeat buyers. An unhappy customer is unlikely to be that, I would assume.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Too bad it took a class action lawsuit to stand behind their product, and that they didn't automatically have the warranty extended to cover what the 'suit covers. I know there was a MOST coverage extension, and assume this issue is something else. As it is, we bought the extended warranty that covered an extra 2 or 3 years (I don't recall) so mine is covered anyway. But again, if the issue is that real and that big of a problem, wouldn't a forthright company step-up and make sure this issue is covered? I mean....one objective of being a manufacturer is to have repeat buyers. An unhappy customer is unlikely to be that, I would assume.
Agree! Ultimately, I became only "satisfied" with the infotainment system of the '19 RDX Advance. However, the way Acura dealt with all the updates, both software and mechanical (brakes) with repeated updates to the updates, and updates to TSBs has soured me to Acura. I have now put over 14,000 miles (in ~6 months) on my Corsair, and only once did I have an issue with the infotainment system. Hard to say what it was, as an unplug of the phone and re-plug in solved it. It doesn't care when I plug in the phone, before starting the car, during boot up, or any time after or in between, it works as expected. Other than that, the Corsair has been perfect! Why Acura can't do this is beyond me.

I am encouraged by the updates they have published about the upcoming 22's, but I would have serious reservations about buying another Acura.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I think limp mode class action is coming soon, there will be some kind of settlement, probably warranty extension.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:00 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I guess the other thing I would add to my comments is, even extending a warranty, for those successful in navigating the process of submitting the required documentation, is.... extending a warranty doesn't solve the problem, and that is what people want.

My list of test drives to replace an old (2003) Honda Accord we have (flawless car by the way) is:

2022 RDX (anxious to check out all the changes as well the quieter version....although I never really thought the 2019 we have is noisy.
2022 Lincoln Corsair
2022 Kia Sorento
2022 Genesis GV70
2022 Lexus NX
2022 Lexus RX
2022 Nissan Rogue (maybe)
JB in AZ (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I received the notice via email.
Sadly the saga isn't quite over; ever since iOS 15 came out, plugging in the phone causes satellite radio to pause. To un-pause it you must go to CarPlay and play any audio file (i.e. current song) then go back to XM.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I got the paperwork a couple of days ago. I threw it in a pile of junk mail. I have never had a really big problem with the system that rated a warranty issue. But the biggest thing I hate is lawyers who chase class action suits so they can make big money while the actual people who suffered get next to nothing. I recall some class action suits I signed up for where the legal team got five million bucks and customers got a dollar off coupon towards buying a hundred dollar replacement for the "defective" device who's only issue was a labeling error of no real consequence. Only winners in CA lawsuits are the lawyers.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
amcobra (10-05-2021), fogdoctor (10-11-2021), GW208 (10-03-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
I got the paperwork a couple of days ago. I threw it in a pile of junk mail. I have never had a really big problem with the system that rated a warranty issue. But the biggest thing I hate is lawyers who chase class action suits so they can make big money while the actual people who suffered get next to nothing. I recall some class action suits I signed up for where the legal team got five million bucks and customers got a dollar off coupon towards buying a hundred dollar replacement for the "defective" device who's only issue was a labeling error of no real consequence. Only winners in CA lawsuits are the lawyers.
These lawsuits are meant to punish the manufacture, not to make the plaintiffs rich. The real goal is to make them do more due diligence before releasing something in the future. If the lawyers didn't make money, they would have no incentive to pursue.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
Only winners in CA lawsuits are the lawyers.
Not always.

I owned a home built in the 80's with polybutene plumbing and in the 90's had a couple of leaks. After finding out about a class action lawsuit judgement against the manufactures that I qualified for, I was able to get my entire house replumbed in copper at zero cost to me. In addition, I was reimbursed for the two previous leaks which included the repairs and (minor) damage they caused. This was a several thousand dollar job even in 90's money. All a no cost to me because of the class action lawsuit.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I live an hour away from my Acura dealer. I’ve only brought it in once, for the first service. I mentioned the CarPlay/ infotainment glitches to the rep, and he said, oh yeah a lot of people come in with that but we can’t do anything about it. And, after reading the frustration of those who did follow up with their dealers on this site, I decided that it wasn’t worth my time to make multiple fruitless trips. Now, that’s required as part of this “settlement.” With a problem that is pervasive enough to warrant a class action, the remedy should be available to all owners, not just those who complain. And the remedy of extending AcuraLink is laughable, compared to actually fixing the problem!
tecwerks (10-04-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, I think is worthless. And planning to trade my 2020 RDX for Porsche Macan or BMW X5. I still don't think like the infotainment system and center console.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:14 PM
Skeptic

I worked with a guy who used to join class action suits. He once got a check in the mail for .32 cents. It came in an envelope with a. 37 cents First Class stamp 🤣

The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
FactoryMatt (10-11-2021), FlopMeister (10-11-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 08:40 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I worked with a guy who used to join class action suits. He once got a check in the mail for .32 cents. It came in an envelope with a. 37 cents First Class stamp 🤣

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oHmXja12Vy4
Yes, I have received similar "payouts" However, I received THOUSANDS of dollars from a class action regarding the new 2017 Hyundai Tucson I bought (WHAT in the hell was I thinking when I bought that POS, from that POS dealer?) Thankfully, the money I received just about made up for the awful trade-in amount I received when I traded it for the '18 CR-V! Hence, there will not be another Hyundai (or Genesis) branded vehicle in my garage for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
I've read much of the settlement documentation and from what I understand, you do not need to do anything in order to get the 2 year extended warranty on the Infotainment Systems. You only need to submit paperwork if you wish to get the AcuraLink Security service or if you have "Certain Out-of-pocket Expenses" you want reimbursed. You can also submit paperwork to be excluded from the suit or if you wish to object to the settlement.

This is a brief summary of what the settlement proposes from Acura:
  1. Two-year warranty extension "to cover qualified Infotainment System Symptoms" (Acura Service Bulletin 20-001, Acura Service Bulletin 20-031 or the new combined Acura Service Bulletin 21-009).
  2. AHM will implement a Dealership Assistance and Assessment Program (the “DAAP”).
    - confirm that the latest Over-The-Air software update has been installed in a Settlement Class Vehicle brought in for Infotainment-System-related service, and, if it has not been installed, install the latest update
    - if the Infotainment System symptoms described by a Settlement Class Member are listed in the “Symptom” section of an applicable Service Bulletin, perform the countermeasures/updates specified therein (e.g., including installing the applicable FAKRA service housing/connector set and/or replacing or otherwise providing an efficacious countermeasure for the gauge control module for 2019 Acura RDX vehicles as necessary).
  3. AHM will create, maintain, and update for no fewer than 24 months, an Infotainment System Online Resource for Settlement Class Members that will be included on the Acura Owners website page for 2019 and 2020 Acura RDX vehicles and will, among other things:
    - include a list of potential Infotainment System-related issues, that, when selected, will open a drop-down menu to offer potential solutions to the issue, including updating relevant software, suggesting replacing or upgrading USB cords or peripherals, or presenting the vehicle at an authorized Acura dealership for an assessment or repair pursuant to any applicable Service Bulletin
    - provide a means by which Settlement Class Members can review information related to the Infotainment systems in their vehicles
    - provide a means by which Settlement Class Members can report to AHM issues or symptoms they believe to be attributable to the Infotainment System
    - post relevant recall notices, Service Bulletins, and over-the-air (OTA) updates relating to the Infotainment System
Of course, Acura denies there is any issue whatsoever with the Infotainment system, so what are the chances there will ever be a fix to the system? They can put all of the above in place, but if all it does is regurgitate a series of existing checks and the end result is a "There is nothing wrong." statement, that is it. There is no incentive for Acura to devote any more time to correcting the issue.

My opinion, of course.

I considered objecting, but the hoops you must jump through are just too much (by design, I'm sure).

Here is a link to a summary FAQ: Client Settlement Site > Frequently Asked Questions (settlement-claims.com)

Ron
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM
Pro

Last week, my wife got a refund from our health insurance provider. The had overcharged for a prescription. The check was for $0.01. We'll try not to spend it all in one place.

A few years ago I got a settlement from a class action against Harbor Freight for about $125. It was about their false advertising by grossly inflating the comparison price for a motorcycle lift I bought from them. That's by far the largest settlement I've ever received from a class action. They're usually a waste of time, except for the lawyers.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
Last week, my wife got a refund from our health insurance provider. The had overcharged for a prescription. The check was for $0.01. We'll try not to spend it all in one place.

A few years ago I got a settlement from a class action against Harbor Freight for about $125. It was about their false advertising by grossly inflating the comparison price for a motorcycle lift I bought from them. That's by far the largest settlement I've ever received from a class action. They're usually a waste of time, except for the lawyers.
Correct on them being a waste of time. What class action lawsuits really are is an agreement between the lawyers and the defendants to minimize the cost (hence much cheaper to payoff the lawyers than the 1,000’s or millions of plaintiffs). It’s a rigged system in my opinion!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Midwestuser1:
LAJ (10-10-2021), markAZ (10-07-2021), tecwerks (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:56 AM
Pro

In all fairness, tho, some class actions do amount to something. The asbestos class action several years ago did compensate many people who were affected by it, not that money does much good for things like that. The lawyers were also well paid. Also, the action against VW and others for faking diesel emission results resulted in the cars being replaced or repurchased (a friend of mine had one). And JB mentioned one that got a decent result. OTOH, many more are like the one we're discussing here...nothing of real value comes of it except for the lawyers.
JB in AZ (10-07-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 02:27 PM
LAJ
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Worthless settlement that provides no remedy for the actual problems most people experience.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I love that if you had an issue with the system freezing on boot up, which I did, and took it in, you still get nothing other than the extended warranty. The two free years of the Security Service is only if you “experienced more than one qualifying visit to an authorized Acura dealership.” As if you’d take it back a second time after finding out they had no clue and all you had to do is disconnect the fuse or battery.
EFR (10-11-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dblwishbone
I received the notice via email.
Sadly the saga isn't quite over; ever since iOS 15 came out, plugging in the phone causes satellite radio to pause. To un-pause it you must go to CarPlay and play any audio file (i.e. current song) then go back to XM.
Same issue here. To get XM working via Apple Carplay I sometimes have to switch to FM (always works) and then back to XM.

I have tried many fixes but Apple Carplay is still so buggy.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:11 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coronado111
Same issue here. To get XM working via Apple Carplay I sometimes have to switch to FM (always works) and then back to XM.

I have tried many fixes but Apple Carplay is still so buggy.

This may or may not help, but elsewhere I read on 15 that if you disable the EQ in the phone that may fix some issues.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
They released update 15.0.2 today; let's see if that helps.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:18 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by dblwishbone
They released update 15.0.2 today; let's see if that helps.
What is that update to?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Pro

What is that update to?
IOS...iPhone operating system
Old 10-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

They could have just given everyone 2 years subscription and extended warranty, its not a lot anyway, and warranty is useless
if its software related
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
Wait, is the infotainment even fixed?

Because mine still fails to connect to the USB port every 10 startups or so. And crashes once a month completely.

Also, can we focus on how terrible the backup camera (and surround camera) with their fuzzy resolution, jammed onto the left side while the huge camera icon wastes the right portion of the screen??

I don't know what this class action suit was about (I'm in Canada, I don't think it affects me) but it's hard to imagine the lawsuit has been settled but the tech is still not working ....
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jordster

Because mine still fails to connect to the USB port every 10 startups or so. And crashes once a month completely.

Also, can we focus on how terrible the backup camera (and surround camera) with their fuzzy resolution, jammed onto the left side while the huge camera icon wastes the right portion of the screen??

I don't know what this class action suit was about (I'm in Canada, I don't think it affects me) but it's hard to imagine the lawsuit has been settled but the tech is still not working ....

you can see my posts about failure to connect apple car play when hitting reverse. I believe USB and carplay not working is same issue
Old 10-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordster

The infotainment system has not been fixed. I experience the same USB issues as you. Fortunately, I have only had one system crash, but I probably just jinxed myself.

I also agree that the backup camera on the Advance is terrible in quality of the image as well as the wasted screen real estate.

The suit is not settled. There is a final hearing on December 6, 2021 where the presiding judge will decide whether to grant final approval of the settlement, taking into account any objections that have been raised. Here is a summary from the settlement site:

The Named Plaintiffs allege that the Settlement Class Vehicles’ Infotainment Systems suffered from software and hardware defects that caused the systems to frequently freeze, crash, fail to boot up, fail to shut down, or suffer intermittent failures to connect to peripheral devices (such as phones and mp3 players). Plaintiffs allege that AHM should have disclosed the defects prior to sale or remedied the defects under warranty within a reasonable period of time after sale. AHM expressly and vigorously denies the allegations in the Litigation, including the allegation that the Infotainment Systems in Settlement Class Vehicles suffer from any defect whatsoever. AHM further denies that it has engaged in any wrongdoing, and specifically denies all claims described above and asserted in the Litigation.

Underlining of the one sentence is added by me. Apparently we are all imagining these issues.

Ron
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron T
I also agree that the backup camera on the Advance is terrible in quality of the image as well as the wasted screen real estate.

Ron
I'm was hoping this was addressed in the refresh but didn't see it mentioned. It seems to be worse the Advance. I'm wondering if they are limited in resolution do to the lack of processing power since it also has to deal with all of the surround view cameras where the lower models only have the backup camera?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM
Instructor

you can see my posts about failure to connect apple car play when hitting reverse. I believe USB and carplay not working is same issue
My take on the screen issue - they have the camera video source coming through on a separate line, which is a safety thing and why it can run even if the Android system is crashed. But I also think the display itself takes two inputs - one for the bigger left screen and one for the right (I could certainly be wrong, I'd say I'm 99% sure of my first statement but only 60% sure of this). So you're limited to half the screen. Then, late in the game, someone realized that the resolution that the camera sends does not fit properly on the left side of the Acura screen, so the only cost effective solution was just to sort of skew it through some hardware filter, which is like when you try to use a high resolution image on a low resolution screen, and it just looks like fuzzy garbage.
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Instructor

I haven't had trouble with reverse (I don't think, I will watch for that) but I can confirm that when CarPlay doesn't work, my USB stick of music doesn't show up, either, so it is a USB port problem not specifically CarPlay.

Quick Reply: Infotainment System Litigation, 2019, 2020 RDX