Retrofit RDX 2020 infotainment control unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by bebo
I am thinking what could happen if I use honda odyssey or Pilot LCD and connect it to the RDX infotainment control unit? Do u think touch screen from Odyssey will work? And I will get touch screen? Just dreaming(lol)
All I know is that in the SW stack of RDX infotainment, there is no touch IC driver.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks very nice.
I do have a question. Do you think that retrofitting the new high resolution backup camera from 2024 TLX would be possible using this infotainment ?
Old 02-14-2024, 09:47 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 151 Posts
I am thinking what could happen if I use honda odyssey or Pilot LCD and connect it to the RDX infotainment control unit? Do u think touch screen from Odyssey will work? And I will get touch screen? Just dreaming(lol)
The Accord touring infotainment has Honda's best featureset, wonder if the entire system could be swapped into an RDX.

Or wait until the 25 MDX touchscreen comes out and swap that instead, as that software would support the 360 cam.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Moussa Harouna
Looks very nice.
I do have a question. Do you think that retrofitting the new high resolution backup camera from 2024 TLX would be possible using this infotainment ?
The rear view camera does not go to infotainment control unit; it connects to the display directly. I looked at both connections and both has 6 pins. It could work, but without the wiring diagram for TLX , I can not confirm.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
here are some pictures and video to see the final result

=6uNC4oOo4szu2nUY
Old 02-15-2024, 05:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iabouel
Hi
here are some pictures and video to see the final result. Sorry I posted the first one from another account.
https://youtu.be/uPMvONKLvgs?si

=6uNC4oOo4szu2nUY
Here is my final pictures and video.

Last edited by bebo; 02-15-2024 at 05:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bebo:
markm929 (02-16-2024), Mustachio (02-19-2024), sonyfever (02-16-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 03:13 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car Audio LVDS GVIF Video Data Cable Wire Line for Toyota, Honda, Acura, Lexus LVDS GVIF Interface Installation Video Cable
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOdmGAE
Awesome work! Quick question: I ordered all of the parts, and the LVDS cable has the two-pin connector on one end and a different connector on the other end. Did you have to swap the other end to also have the two-pin connector? Is that why a separate two-pin connector was included in your parts list? Thanks, I'm excited to get this completed this weekend!
Old 02-29-2024, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timosuomi
Awesome work! Quick question: I ordered all of the parts, and the LVDS cable has the two-pin connector on one end and a different connector on the other end. Did you have to swap the other end to also have the two-pin connector? Is that why a separate two-pin connector was included in your parts list? Thanks, I'm excited to get this completed this weekend!
Thank you. The two pin connector housing on the cable does not fit the display 2 pin, and I ordered the extra two pin connector to use its plastic housing only so the 2pin connector end fits the display. I will take some pictures when I go home.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:22 PM
6th Gear

Thank you. The two pin connector housing on the cable does not fit the display 2 pin, and I ordered the extra two pin connector to use its plastic housing only so the 2pin connector end fits the display. I will take some pictures when I go home.
Ah, I see it now! One ridge is in a different location on the two housings. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 03-02-2024, 02:41 PM
6th Gear

Here is my final pictures and video.
From looking in the Acura service manual website, it looks like the whole dash has to come apart to get to this module. Am I seeing that correctly? I'll pull it all if needed, but I'd rather not!
Old 03-02-2024, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timosuomi
From looking in the Acura service manual website, it looks like the whole dash has to come apart to get to this module. Am I seeing that correctly? I'll pull it all if needed, but I'd rather not!
Here are some pictures of what you have to remove. The control unit is hold in place with 3 screws: 2 screws at the top, and u can access them if u remove the ac dash control. The lower screw is easy to access once you remove the cover for the control unit. Check the pictures and be carefull and do it with extra

care to avoid breaking any tabs.
For no.5 and 7 just left it up a little bit to make it easy for you to remove the ac control.
The following 2 users liked this post by bebo:
RDX10 (04-13-2024), sonyfever (03-06-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 04:05 PM
6th Gear

Here are some pictures of what you have to remove. The control unit is hold in place with 3 screws: 2 screws at the top, and u can access them if u remove the ac dash control. The lower screw is easy to access once you remove the cover for the control unit. Check the pictures and be carefull and do it with extra ​care to avoid breaking any tabs.
For no.5 and 7 just left it up a little bit to make it easy for you to remove the ac control.
Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 04-09-2024, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
@bebo You have me dreaming of doing this upgrade in my 2021 TLX. Driving my mom's 2023 RDX makes me so jealous of how much more responsive and stable the infotainment is, not to mention wireless CarPlay. I doubt the 2024 TLX system would be able to retrofit given that it's a different screen and a new instrument cluster. I wonder if the 2022+ RDX system can retrofit with the 2021 TLX...
Old 05-01-2024, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear

So I just pulled the trigger on the unit--- what are your thoughts? Think it will work OK for me? I have a 2019 RDX Tech FWD. I couldn't find specific part numbers anywhere for what I would need, so just kind of going off what others have discussed here. Also ordered all of the parts that @bebo mentioned-- thank you for doing all the hard work of figuring this out!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355483018799

Old 05-02-2024, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
@bebo Any chance of selling a pre-made wiring adapter for the 20 to 24 pin connector?

Would love to buy a plug and play adapter kit.
Old 05-09-2024, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Optical Toxin
@bebo Any chance of selling a pre-made wiring adapter for the 20 to 24 pin connector?

Would love to buy a plug and play adapter kit.
I also would be interested in paying for a pre-made kit.. wiring is not my forte.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone else have trouble ordering parts from aliexpress? I just had a shipping courier called piggyship claim that I signed for 4 items from 3 different venders even though I didnt receive a thing. This really sucks because I bought a new unit but can't seem to get the cables and connectors. Does anyone know of a US supplier?
Old 05-14-2024, 03:25 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by goverstreet
Did anyone else have trouble ordering parts from aliexpress? I just had a shipping courier called piggyship claim that I signed for 4 items from 3 different venders even though I didnt receive a thing. This really sucks because I bought a new unit but can't seem to get the cables and connectors. Does anyone know of a US supplier?

I ended receiving my parts from ali express. Does anyone have any tips or links on how to de pin and crimp the LVDS video connectors?
Old 05-22-2024, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear

I have this same question!
Old 05-28-2024, 05:38 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jdye06
I have this same question!

So I ended up using a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut the plastic part of the connector off. I was very careful about not damaging the metal terminal Once I got the blue plastic part off. I just inserted the metal terminal piece into the new grey plastic connector. I also used the two little black plastic pieces from the new grey connector. I hope that helps. I still haven't installed my new unit. It turns out that I order two males connectors for the 24 and 20 pin connectors. So im waiting on the female ends to get here. I'll be sure to update once I get everything done.
The following users liked this post:
skddoc (06-12-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 08:53 AM
7th Gear

Hey Bebo, I ordered the control unit and parts from Ali Express. What about the wiring? I saw that you ordered something from eBay for $50. Also, were you able to get the OTA updates working?
Old 06-12-2024, 03:24 PM
7th Gear

Hey Goverstreet,
QQs
  1. I just got my connectors in and wondered what those two black plastic pieces do?
    1. Do you have any pics of how you installed them?
  2. Did you get your parts for the harness in? Did you use the existing harness or buy wiring and make a connecting harness?
Thanks for any help with this.- Scott

I am going to take a video of this for our community with pics for those wanting to know how it is done.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:42 PM
7th Gear

Retrofitting a RDX 2023 Infotainment Center to a 2020 RDX

Hey Guys,

I have ordered all of my gear to make the conversion. Thanks to Bebo for the courage to go for it.

I got a 2023 Infotainment Center for a little over 200 dollars. You just have to make an offer instead of buying it right away.
  • All the parts that Bebo called out are correct and fit the new unit.
  • You will have to have wiring to make an adaptor cable between the 24-pin and the 20-pin. (I am still working on this) May order a harness or something else.
  • The LDVS cable came in and it looks like the plug for the new deck is more square and the other end had a newer rectangular plug. (this is the end that will have to be replaced with the ordered parts.)- Any info on how to release? Goverstreet just cut it off. so that works too! lol
  • I called the Honda hotline to get my radio code- 1-800-382-2238, just give them your serial code for the new unit and they will give you the code and add it to your file.
I will be adding pictures and extras to this thread as well..

Thanks to Bebo and Goverstreet for the information to get us going this far!! If you have any updates or tips we would all appreciate it! I will post soon... I am planning on doing this over the 4th of July holiday. Fingers crossed!

Any idea of where to get the wiring and how to de-pin and such would be a great help!

Old 06-13-2024, 05:44 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by skddoc
Hey Guys,

I have ordered all of my gear to make the conversion. Thanks to Bebo for the courage to go for it.

I got a 2023 Infotainment Center for a little over 200 dollars. You just have to make an offer instead of buying it right away.
  • All the parts that Bebo called out are correct and fit the new unit.
  • You will have to have wiring to make an adaptor cable between the 24-pin and the 20-pin. (I am still working on this) May order a harness or something else.
  • The LDVS cable came in and it looks like the plug for the new deck is more square and the other end had a newer rectangular plug. (this is the end that will have to be replaced with the ordered parts.)- Any info on how to release? Goverstreet just cut it off. so that works too! lol
  • I called the Honda hotline to get my radio code- 1-800-382-2238, just give them your serial code for the new unit and they will give you the code and add it to your file.
I will be adding pictures and extras to this thread as well..

Thanks to Bebo and Goverstreet for the information to get us going this far!! If you have any updates or tips we would all appreciate it! I will post soon... I am planning on doing this over the 4th of July holiday. Fingers crossed!

Any idea of where to get the wiring and how to de-pin and such would be a great help!

Remove black pins

Easier to cut off the sides to slide off the plug cap. The other way was too risky to damage the cable end.

It only slides on one way. It locks when in place. Then add the two black pins that come with it to loack.

That’s one cable down!
Old 06-29-2024, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I've read this entire post and I'm ready to try it out. I ordered the parts from AliExpress and I've been looking at used infotainment units. I just spoke to my local Acura dealer and they told me that the part numbers are NOT interchangeable. You must match the trim level. Can anyone confirm this??? Here are the part numbers I got from the dealer:
  • SH-AWD: 39540-TJB-AF1
  • Tech: 39540-TJB-AG1
  • A-Spec: 39540-TJB-AH1
  • Advance: 39540-TJB-AJ1
  • A-Spec Advance: 39540-TJB-AK1
PS: Replace A with C for the Canadian version, which Acura also said is not interchangeable
Old 06-29-2024, 09:25 PM
7th Gear

Mike, that makes sense. It was mentioned above as they were going through the part numbers for the trim.
  • Mine is the Tech SH-AWD and I got the Unit with Part number- 39540-TGB-AG14-M1.
    • Mustachio mentions the different versions above in his post.
      • ​​​​​​​My concern is with having a Tech and SH-AWD I was not sure what to go with... I chose the Tech and so we shall see.
  • When ordering online
  • I used the wiring diagram that Bebo had above took the parts to a local audio video place and had them make connectors for me.
    • $90 - My tech said the wiring diagram is correct but the picture of the connector is turned wrong.
  • I am going to take on the project next week and mine is a 2020 as well so I will post by the weekend the results.
    • Make sure to call Honda to get your radio code when you purchase the infotainment.
    • I am also wiring up an Idlestopper while I have the dash open .
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:24 PM
Cruisin'

Where is the infotainment control unit physically located? Is it easy to replace it either with same version or retrofit a newer version? My 2019 RDX A-SPEC is having the infotainment screen flickering issue intermittently even after dealer completed the FAKRA recall service, the issue is very intermittent that happens randomly, I brought the car in like 5 times but dealer were never able to reproduce the issue. It happened again a couple of days ago and I was close to the dealer, I drove it to them right away, they looked at it and told me the control unit is bad and quoted me $1888.xx parts + $400 labor to fix it and Acura will not cover it since the car is already out of warranty. I didn't have them fixed the car since the issue happens far and between, came home did some searches and found this thread. The control unit p/n dealer gave me is 39540-TJB-A14 which I found some used one on ebay for $200. I think if issue gets worse to a point that I need to take care of it, I might just retrofit a new version like you guys talking about here. I couldn't find any picture or video showing the actual removal and installation of the unit, most discussions are about making the adapter/cable.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:09 PM
mvl
Pro

You should call Acura client relations, and ask them to goodwill cover the unit/repair. There is documented evidence (service records even though not duplicable) of the issue occuring before the warranty ran out, so it is not a post warranty problem.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Thank you for your suggestion, @mvl I did talk to the dealer about the possibility of goodwill coverage from Acura, they check my repair history and unfortunately my factory warranty already expired when the first time I brought my RDX in for this issue, the dealer told me this Acura extended warranty on the infotainment only covers replacing the FAKRA, if the control unit turns bad then Acura won’t cover the repair or replacement, which could be true or total BS. I think I will take your advice and call Acura, have nothing to lose.
Old 07-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Cruisin'

I called Acura client relations to check if they would cover my repair under goodwill, they asked me to provide all the diagnosis history (from dealer) related to this issue, they will review and let me know. I plan to submit the paperworks and see what happens.

Regarding my original question about where is the control unit located, I don’t know how I missed post #51 from @bebo that shows how to get to the unit. Thanks for all the information!
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
6th Gear

Just an update. I ended up getting everything installed. Initially I have issues with my screen flickering. Then I found out that was due to having my LVDS cable folded and zip tied. Once cut the zip tie, unfolded the cable and straightened it a little. Most of the flickering was alleviated. So I ordered what seemed like a better quality cable to replace this one. I also ordered a new connector (smaller square one) to replace the factor LVDS’s connector and utilize that.

Once I get some time. Im going to try both solutions and go with which ever one performs best.

Other than that I’ve had one other major issue. I keep getting a crackling, popping and static noise in my speakers that I didn't have before. It started a few weeks after doing the upgrade. Im not sure if it’s due to wires I used to make the retrofit harness. So im ordering new parts to make a new harness utilizing thicker 18 gauge wires. I originally used 22 gauge wires.

If anyone has any input or experience with this issue (the cracking, popping and static) PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
mvl
Pro

Check the TSB section of this forum. There is a crack/pop tsb that has to do with bad or crimped Acura cables. You can open the TSB and see if any parts you used were imapcted. One part of the tsb is to ensure you do not bend one of the wires too tightly.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mvl
Check the TSB section of this forum. There is a crack/pop tsb that has to do with bad or crimped Acura cables. You can open the TSB and see if any parts you used were imapcted. One part of the tsb is to ensure you do not bend one of the wires too tightly.

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
7th Gear

Crackling Audio for RDX

Thanks for the update!

I have screen flickering too and figured it was the cheap cable. I thought it wouldn’t be too hard to just use the factory cable by cutting the infotainment end and replacing it with the new plug.
Have you thought of that?

What cable did you order?

Also here is the crackling video from the Acura service tech. The speaker cable connections are bad and they have a warranty by the dealer to repair. It’s take a bit if work but the video also has t the part numbers to order and do it yourself.

Thanks for sharing about the screen flickering as that confirmed my issue.

https://youtu.be/t2qAGPXOAqM?si=qG2UyTqM790TfrZ7
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
7th Gear

Photos of install

Guys also be aware that the infotainment control unit is not only year-specific but also it is model spec specific. Mine was a 2020 RDX SH-AWD watch package. So I was fortunate as the parts called for AWD or Tech and I chose the Tech infotainment. I also called Acura and got the security code to unlock it. Initially, the steering wheel controls all took a few minutes to line up by going through the diagnostics tool then everything has been working fine except for the screen fli keeping from a cheap VDMS cable.