Notices

HUD Volume Slider

Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HUD Volume Slider

Please see the photo below. Is the rectangle that appears next to the volume slider a quirk to be endured or a defect to be repaired?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

That is a defect. Get it checked out and repaired.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine shows the same slider every time I adjust the volume with the left-side steering wheel control or the volume knob, but it persists only for 3-4 seconds and then goes away.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by MT-RDX View Post
Mine shows the same slider every time I adjust the volume with the left-side steering wheel control or the volume knob, but it persists only for 3-4 seconds and then goes away.
Does the HUD in your RDX also show a rectangle to the right of the volume slider?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

No, the rectangle is suspicious because its so fuzzy, could be a fault in the projection system. Try using the steering wheel controls to change the contents of the HUD to see if the rectangle changes in any other mode.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sactoblink182fan View Post
That is a defect. Get it checked out and repaired.
My local Acura dealer says the rectangle next to the HUD volume slider is "normal." I am going to contact Acura Client Relations. Hopefully, I will get a better response.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:38 AM

No, the rectangle is suspicious because its so fuzzy, could be a fault in the projection system. Try using the steering wheel controls to change the contents of the HUD to see if the rectangle changes in any other mode.
I tried what you suggested, but the ghostly rectangle appeared regardless.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ghostly rectangle to the right of the volume slider is 100% normal. I believe this was intentionally done to obscure the navigation info (creating sort of a layered effect) which is also projected on the Left side of the HUD. However it does appear even if navigation is not in use.
I've attached a photo of my HUD from my commute home last week (sorry about the quality). It was highly compressed, but you can still see the ghostly rectangle obscuring the Nav info telling me to turn left on Patrick Street.

Honestly I never noticed it until this post. If it bothers you, maybe try adjusting the brightness of the HUD.
I could see how this would be more noticeable at night if you have the HUD at maximum brightness.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

I tested mine this morning in all display modes, and it does appear that the ghost rectangle is "normal" so we might have to give the dealer a temporary thumbs up (I'm sure we can find other gripes to substitute). It appears in every mode each time I press the volume up/down control (even when the Nav info is not part of the display), then goes away when the volume slider goes away. As 89kraus noted, yours may be more noticeable because of the brightness control settings, or possibly more because you are apparently backed into the garage, so the back lighting may be affecting it. I also had never noticed it until your post, but mine is less obvious (at least while outside driving the vehicle).
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by 89kraus View Post
The ghostly rectangle to the right of the volume slider is 100% normal. I believe this was intentionally done to obscure the navigation info (creating sort of a layered effect) which is also projected on the Left side of the HUD. However it does appear even if navigation is not in use.
I've attached a photo of my HUD from my commute home last week (sorry about the quality). It was highly compressed, but you can still see the ghostly rectangle obscuring the Nav info telling me to turn left on Patrick Street.

Honestly I never noticed it until this post. If it bothers you, maybe try adjusting the brightness of the HUD.
I could see how this would be more noticeable at night if you have the HUD at maximum brightness.

I appreciate that you devoted time to take the photo. Thank you for your post. I find some comfort in the fact that Acura RDX HUD units are generally affected by the "ghost rectangle." "Misery loves company", goes the proverb. However, in my view, this "normal" occurrence may fall more within the category of a "known issue" that Acura engineers should work to resolve. Acura could have done better.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM

I tested mine this morning in all display modes, and it does appear that the ghost rectangle is "normal" so we might have to give the dealer a temporary thumbs up (I'm sure we can find other gripes to substitute). It appears in every mode each time I press the volume up/down control (even when the Nav info is not part of the display), then goes away when the volume slider goes away. As 89kraus noted, yours may be more noticeable because of the brightness control settings, or possibly more because you are apparently backed into the garage, so the back lighting may be affecting it. I also had never noticed it until your post, but mine is less obvious (at least while outside driving the vehicle).
You are right. Lighting conditions affect how noticeable the "ghost rectangle" is. Sometimes it is barely noticeable.