HUD Volume Slider

Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post HUD Volume Slider

Please see the photo below. Is the rectangle that appears next to the volume slider a quirk to be endured or a defect to be repaired?

Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

That is a defect. Get it checked out and repaired.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Mine shows the same slider every time I adjust the volume with the left-side steering wheel control or the volume knob, but it persists only for 3-4 seconds and then goes away.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MT-RDX
Mine shows the same slider every time I adjust the volume with the left-side steering wheel control or the volume knob, but it persists only for 3-4 seconds and then goes away.
Does the HUD in your RDX also show a rectangle to the right of the volume slider?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced

No, the rectangle is suspicious because its so fuzzy, could be a fault in the projection system. Try using the steering wheel controls to change the contents of the HUD to see if the rectangle changes in any other mode.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Sactoblink182fan
That is a defect. Get it checked out and repaired.
My local Acura dealer says the rectangle next to the HUD volume slider is "normal." I am going to contact Acura Client Relations. Hopefully, I will get a better response.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:38 AM
10th Gear

No, the rectangle is suspicious because its so fuzzy, could be a fault in the projection system. Try using the steering wheel controls to change the contents of the HUD to see if the rectangle changes in any other mode.
I tried what you suggested, but the ghostly rectangle appeared regardless.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The ghostly rectangle to the right of the volume slider is 100% normal. I believe this was intentionally done to obscure the navigation info (creating sort of a layered effect) which is also projected on the Left side of the HUD. However it does appear even if navigation is not in use.
I've attached a photo of my HUD from my commute home last week (sorry about the quality). It was highly compressed, but you can still see the ghostly rectangle obscuring the Nav info telling me to turn left on Patrick Street.

Honestly I never noticed it until this post. If it bothers you, maybe try adjusting the brightness of the HUD.
I could see how this would be more noticeable at night if you have the HUD at maximum brightness.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced

I tested mine this morning in all display modes, and it does appear that the ghost rectangle is "normal" so we might have to give the dealer a temporary thumbs up (I'm sure we can find other gripes to substitute). It appears in every mode each time I press the volume up/down control (even when the Nav info is not part of the display), then goes away when the volume slider goes away. As 89kraus noted, yours may be more noticeable because of the brightness control settings, or possibly more because you are apparently backed into the garage, so the back lighting may be affecting it. I also had never noticed it until your post, but mine is less obvious (at least while outside driving the vehicle).
Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 89kraus
The ghostly rectangle to the right of the volume slider is 100% normal. I believe this was intentionally done to obscure the navigation info (creating sort of a layered effect) which is also projected on the Left side of the HUD. However it does appear even if navigation is not in use.
I've attached a photo of my HUD from my commute home last week (sorry about the quality). It was highly compressed, but you can still see the ghostly rectangle obscuring the Nav info telling me to turn left on Patrick Street.

Honestly I never noticed it until this post. If it bothers you, maybe try adjusting the brightness of the HUD.
I could see how this would be more noticeable at night if you have the HUD at maximum brightness.

I appreciate that you devoted time to take the photo. Thank you for your post. I find some comfort in the fact that Acura RDX HUD units are generally affected by the "ghost rectangle." "Misery loves company", goes the proverb. However, in my view, this "normal" occurrence may fall more within the category of a "known issue" that Acura engineers should work to resolve. Acura could have done better.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

I tested mine this morning in all display modes, and it does appear that the ghost rectangle is "normal" so we might have to give the dealer a temporary thumbs up (I'm sure we can find other gripes to substitute). It appears in every mode each time I press the volume up/down control (even when the Nav info is not part of the display), then goes away when the volume slider goes away. As 89kraus noted, yours may be more noticeable because of the brightness control settings, or possibly more because you are apparently backed into the garage, so the back lighting may be affecting it. I also had never noticed it until your post, but mine is less obvious (at least while outside driving the vehicle).
You are right. Lighting conditions affect how noticeable the "ghost rectangle" is. Sometimes it is barely noticeable.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by globalist
Please see the photo below. Is the rectangle that appears next to the volume slider a quirk to be endured or a defect to be repaired?

I just found this post by searching because I thought my brand new car had a defect. That rectangle on the side makes no sense to me at all. Looks horrible with brightness cranked up
Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Mine does this too but I never gave it much thought. I think it is supposed to be a separation between the volume slider and the rest of the HUD. On mine, when you go to apps, you have a (much better looking) fade effect. I think the problem here is they didn't draw a box around the volume and fade, leaving it open to interpretation. Also, a dealer loaner I drove as an advance and also had this fade effect / ghost box. I'm reasonably assured that "they all do that" based on my experience and the pics we have seen here. Whether it was intended to is another story of course. When I bought the RDX, I had compared it to other cars with HUD display. And Acura's implementation of the HUD is decent but not top notch. I suspect they had to resort to using klunky visual effects to visually distinguish the slider.

For example, I compared RDX to Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (yes, I know it's a cheaper car, but ticked all the boxes featurewise) and their HUD had all kinds of things like being able to change the size and color of the speed display, displays things like blind-spot monitor and not just when you're turning, the speed limit signs look real and are color (i.e. school zone has yellow SCHOOL part of the sign at the top), and overall just way more effective use of colors. Now you could argue the usefulness of those things until you are blue in the face, but Acura took a stance that the HUD should be as low profile as possible and that meant keeping everything white as much as possible. In fact, unless you kick off an alert system (BSM, LKAS, brake alert) or you press the APPS button, you might miss that the Acura HUD could do color at all. And the Santa Fe's HUD looked visually a little farther out in the road, so you could keep the same focal plane on the road. To me, Acura's HUD looks much closer to the car and kind of under my vision rather than in the same focal plane.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have HUD at all and this is all nitpicking. But I do find myself wishing Acura had given more options.

Last edited by Ender519; 12-12-2019 at 11:01 PM.