When to expect 2022 RDX info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021 | 10:56 AM
Drifting

It looks like Acura has made some nice upgrades for the '22 RDX. A quieter cabin, and the possibility of a smoother ride, excellent!. Wireless AA and CP, along with wireless charging are almost a requirement these days to stay competitive. Good to see they modified the drive modes...but should have allowed individual customizations, such as comfort ride, but tighter steering.

Have there been any interior photos? (Maybe I missed them?) I am interested in seeing how the center console changed, and where the wireless AA and CP are located. IF under the console, that is not so good. Any infotainment system changes? Touch screen available now? The trend is back to touch screens.

Exterior changes are MEH. Except the wheels do look better.

Nice that they have finally provided the ability to get Advance features with A-Spec look, for those who want it.
From what I read, RED exterior is only available with a black interior? I don't care for black interiors. they make the interiors look smaller and darker. Some two-tone look is my preference. Again, I would have to see it. I couldn't find a RED one when I bought my '19, odds are it will be even harder now.

With this said, none of it makes a bit of difference if there are still inventory problems. Paying MSRP or higher for a car? No thank you. I hope to wait a couple of years before I buy another car. Loving the Corsair, which now has 12,000+ miles. Will be putting on another ~4,000 miles on in the next 3 weeks. Road Trip here we come!
Old 09-22-2021 | 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
It looks like Acura has made some nice upgrades for the '22 RDX. A quieter cabin, and the possibility of a smoother ride, excellent!. Wireless AA and CP, along with wireless charging are almost a requirement these days to stay competitive. Good to see they modified the drive modes...but should have allowed individual customizations, such as comfort ride, but tighter steering.

Have there been any interior photos? (Maybe I missed them?) I am interested in seeing how the center console changed, and where the wireless AA and CP are located. IF under the console, that is not so good. Any infotainment system changes? Touch screen available now? The trend is back to touch screens.

Exterior changes are MEH. Except the wheels do look better.

Nice that they have finally provided the ability to get Advance features with A-Spec look, for those who want it.
From what I read, RED exterior is only available with a black interior? I don't care for black interiors. they make the interiors look smaller and darker. Some two-tone look is my preference. Again, I would have to see it. I couldn't find a RED one when I bought my '19, odds are it will be even harder now.

With this said, none of it makes a bit of difference if there are still inventory problems. Paying MSRP or higher for a car? No thank you. I hope to wait a couple of years before I buy another car. Loving the Corsair, which now has 12,000+ miles. Will be putting on another ~4,000 miles on in the next 3 weeks. Road Trip here we come!

Yea, the missing customization of the driving experience is sad to see. TLX and MDX have it, but no RDX...probably not until 4th Gen. A quieter cabin is nice though, it will improve the listening experience for the ELS 3D system. A better tuned active damper system is nice as well....and I'm sure KTuner will be able to at least give more performance again for the 2022 models and up since it's the same drivetrain and all.

I welcome the wireless AA and CP, the folding mirrors (the garage is a tight fit me), I was going to have my 2020 Advanced wrapped and chrome delete everything but now the Advanced ASPEC is available and this is what I originally wanted. Improvements in break pedal feel, and the fact that the active damper system is tuned for 20 inch wheels makes me happy to know that I can go aftermarket and get some nicer 20 inch wheels and some Michelin Sport tires - 265/40 with a 20x8.5 and 35+ offset will look nice I think. I also like the more aggressive look. The current ASPEC looks great too, but there is something a bit more sporty about the new 2022 frontend.

What comes after an MMC? Is 4th gen RDX to come 2023 or 2024? I'm pretty sure that is when we are getting the Type-S, Digital Cluster, Engine Customization, etc....

Old 09-22-2021 | 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpaceBot
Yea, the missing customization of the driving experience is sad to see. TLX and MDX have it, but no RDX...probably not until 4th Gen. A quieter cabin is nice though, it will improve the listening experience for the ELS 3D system. A better tuned active damper system is nice as well....and I'm sure KTuner will be able to at least give more performance again for the 2022 models and up since it's the same drivetrain and all.

I welcome the wireless AA and CP, the folding mirrors (the garage is a tight fit me), I was going to have my 2020 Advanced wrapped and chrome delete everything but now the Advanced ASPEC is available and this is what I originally wanted. Improvements in break pedal feel, and the fact that the active damper system is tuned for 20 inch wheels makes me happy to know that I can go aftermarket and get some nicer 20 inch wheels and some Michelin Sport tires - 265/40 with a 20x8.5 and 35+ offset will look nice I think. I also like the more aggressive look. The current ASPEC looks great too, but there is something a bit more sporty about the new 2022 frontend.

What comes after an MMC? Is 4th gen RDX to come 2023 or 2024? I'm pretty sure that is when we are getting the Type-S, Digital Cluster, Engine Customization, etc....
After MMC it’s 4th Gen. should be coming out in 2024 as a 2025 MY. Judging how Acura has done Type S it would be release about 5-8 months after base model launch.
Old 09-22-2021 | 01:20 PM
Racer

I just find it so hard to believe that the Type-S RDX doesn't exist right now.

- Tiger Eye Pearl shows up as an option per the earlier leak
- there was even mention that the Type-S RDX will receive the Advanced Package on top of the Type-S package
- When the Type-S TLX was showcased, Alex on Autos posted on his Instagram that more on the Type-S RDX was coming soon...
- Type-S TLX showed up and then suddenly so did the Type-S MDX....
- The Type-S MDX frontend designed is a modified version of the non-Type-S MDX frontend. The same could be done with the 2022 Type-S RDX
- We know the full lineup of Acura cars will get the Type-S treatment (including that new Intengra)
- There have been talks of the RDX Type-S for some time now...even before the TLX version was known
- TLX Type-S has non-digital cluster, the RDX still has no digital cluster either (but it is missing the custom driving experience feature in the IDS)
- I believe the current RDX engine bay was designed for a compact V6 in mind
- NSX, MDX, TLX, are all Type-S right now. RDX should be next at this stage.

Maybe the chip shortage just delayed it by another year or so. Maybe the PMC version and arguable, the Advanced ASPEC version, are just stop-gaps due to delays in components. It just seems like everything is in place for there to be an RDX Type-S.

Last edited by SpaceBot; 09-22-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2021 | 01:33 PM
Instructor

- Tiger Eye Peral shows up as an option per the earlier leak
- there was even mention that the Type-S RDX will receive the Advanced Package on top of the Type-S package
- When the Type-S TLX was showcased, Alex on Autos posted on his Instagram that more on the Type-S RDX was coming soon...
- Type-S TLX showed up and then suddenly so did the Type-S MDX....
- The Type-S MDX frontend designed is a modified version of the non-Type-S MDX frontend. The same could be done with the 2022 Type-S RDX
- We know the full lineup of Acura cars will get the Type-S treatment (including that new Intengra)
- There have been talks of the RDX Type-S for some time now
- TLX Type-S has non-digital cluster, the RDX still has no digital cluster either
- I believe the current RDX engine bay was designed for a compact V6 in mind
- NSX, MDX, TLX, are all Type-S right now. RDX should be next at this stage.

Maybe the chip shortage just delayed it by another year or so. Maybe the PMC version and arguable, the Advanced ASPEC version, are just stop-gaps due to delays in components. It just seems like everything is in place for there to be an RDX Type-S.
All are valid points but there are many factors contradicting a Type S variant.

-When RDX was being finalized Acura wasn’t done with the idea of Type S
-The chassis that the RDX rides on does not have the added stiffness that it need to have the DOHC Turbo V6 and performance but that the TLX base got in order to incorporate the Type S easily.
-TLX,MDX and Integra where all made with the Type S in mind before the Base models.
-DWS needs to be added for better performance
-Alex on Autos said soon on the post on Facebook said soon but then in the video mentioned it would be for the 4th Gen.
-MDX S was always planned ever since the first sighting of the it testing with the same quad exhaust like the first sighting of the TLX S in Europe.
-Digital Gauge wasn’t completed before the TLX and TLX type s was revealed which is why it showed up first on the MDX especially since technically the MDX is the flagship of the brand for now.
-RDX was built in mind with a compact V6 in mind but was scrapped about a year or so into development from what I heard for the Type R-esq I4 turbo.
The following users liked this post:
Waetherman (09-29-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 01:51 PM
Racer

Welp, then it's solved! I guess 4th gen it is...let's hope used cars hold this.high value and demand in the next three years.
Old 09-22-2021 | 01:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by supafamous
Argh...the A-Spec tires are still the Goodyear Eagle RS-As. Pathetic. Even the Civic comes with better tires.
imho I feel that the Eagles on my A-Spec stick like glue with my heavy foot in the corners
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 01:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I have had little or no issues with Carplay in over a year.
‘You should feel fortunate, congratulations. No pun intended :-)
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 02:26 PM
OG

not even honda/acura could market a 55k v6 turbo compact suv that would prob get 13mpg as gas prices rise in a pandemic lol
Old 09-22-2021 | 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TigerEyeJazz
After MMC it’s 4th Gen. should be coming out in 2024 as a 2025 MY. Judging how Acura has done Type S it would be release about 5-8 months after base model launch.
I wonder if there'll even be a gas powered 4G RDX - it might make better financial sense for Acura to extend the life of the 3G RDX by a couple years and replace it with an electric RDX in 2026. They've already said an electric SUV is coming that's around the size of the RDX (Acura's version of Honda's Prologue)
Old 09-22-2021 | 05:00 PM
Instructor

I wonder if there'll even be a gas powered 4G RDX - it might make better financial sense for Acura to extend the life of the 3G RDX by a couple years and replace it with an electric RDX in 2026. They've already said an electric SUV is coming that's around the size of the RDX (Acura's version of Honda's Prologue)
it’ll still have gas by then. The electric one will be on the GM platform like the Honda Prologue some are guessing it’ll be called the ZDX.
Old 09-22-2021 | 05:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TigerEyeJazz
it’ll still have gas by then. The electric one will be on the GM platform like the Honda Prologue some are guessing it’ll be called the ZDX.
I vote for ERX.
FlopMeister (09-24-2021)
Old 09-22-2021 | 07:07 PM
Drifting

Drx

So how did you guys get to keep all caps?

Last edited by Madd Dog; 09-22-2021 at 07:11 PM.
FlopMeister (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 01:05 PM
6th Gear

So the one thing the RDX doesn't have that I actually want is the digital speedo readout. It's in some of the press pics reading "0", so we know it's there. What's the likelihood that this is a pure software upgrade?
Old 09-23-2021 | 01:25 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I haven't seen a pic of the digital speedo (link?) but from what I've seen of the dash, it could just be a software update. Does that mean old RDX would get it too? Seems about as likely as old RDX getting a software update that gives it folding mirrors.
Old 09-23-2021 | 01:32 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I haven't seen a pic of the digital speedo (link?) but from what I've seen of the dash, it could just be a software update. Does that mean old RDX would get it too? Seems about as likely as old RDX getting a software update that gives it folding mirrors.
The folding mirrors would reuqire a hardware update to the mirror assembly to allow them to fold. This looks like it's a pure software update to the

Old 09-23-2021 | 01:35 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by Ritual Watch
The folding mirrors would reuqire a hardware update to the mirror assembly to allow them to fold.

Last edited by Waetherman; 09-23-2021 at 01:37 PM.
NBPDC505 (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 01:40 PM
6th Gear

Damn it, McBain!
Old 09-23-2021 | 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
Is the charging pad in the open area below the center console? That's a really weird place to put it. Hard to reach and hard to look at the phone. Tesla has the best placement for the charging pad.
Yes, and it looks like it's very poorly implemented. It literally looks like an aftermarket piece that they just plopped in there:

Also, I guess we found out where those spy shots went. I guess the non-PMC/A-Spec models are getting the rectangular tips. Not sure how I feel about them ...

pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Yes, and it looks like it's very poorly implemented. It literally looks like an aftermarket piece that they just plopped in there:
Yeah, not a great place to put it but I'm not sure they could have done much else - there's zero chance they were going to redo the centre console, too much cost to remove the centre instrument panel and rework the cupholders etc. To keep the cupholders would have meant widening the centre console and there's no room or that so it was cup holders or charging pad on the top side.
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 05:31 PM
Instructor

Yeah, not a great place to put it but I'm not sure they could have done much else - there's zero chance they were going to redo the centre console, too much cost to remove the centre instrument panel and rework the cupholders etc. To keep the cupholders would have meant widening the centre console and there's no room or that so it was cup holders or charging pad on the top side.
Yeah it would be to costly. Next Gen would more then likely get an inspiration from the MDX/TLX rather then having that huge cubby at the bottom.
Old 09-23-2021 | 05:55 PM
Drifting

Hopefully, you can still connect the phone via a cord as is now the case.
Old 09-23-2021 | 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Those squared exhaust tips look totally out of place. They should have just hidden the exhausts which seems to be the trend nowadays.
Old 09-23-2021 | 07:37 PM
Drifting

Those squared exhaust tips look totally out of place. They should have just hidden the exhausts which seems to be the trend nowadays.
Like many car makers, it could just be an on-purpose design decision to get you to upgrade to the higher trims.
Old 09-23-2021 | 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

And in the next remodel they will make them circular again, they need to change something to give erection to new buyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
leomio2.0 (09-24-2021), pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-23-2021 | 10:18 PM
Racer

The digital speedo sure looks like a simple software change for the center of the screen between the gauges.
As for "all electric" for the next generation, don't hold your breath. We are still burning coal to make electricity in many places. There is not enough wind or solar to meet a small part of demand and the demand is going to explode if and when everyone goes to electric vehicles. The infrastructure just isn't there to go 100% electric and likely won't be for many years to come. Politicians spout about all this "green revolution" but clearly they aren't engineers who actually understand just how dramatically things would have to change to make that pipe dream come true. Look at the massive GM recall due to battery issues causing fires. I mean they tell people not to park their electric cars within 100 feet of their houses or something.

Hybrid tech...sure, its pretty much proven. Of course the issue there is all those rare earth elements needed for electric motors and such. I think the end of ICE vehicles is further off than some dreamers want to think. Porsche is working hard on renewable fuels as they look to keep the 911 going on for years with ICE power.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
GW208 (09-23-2021), JB in AZ (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 07:27 AM
Instructor

My 1997 Chevrolet cavalier z24 had those RS-As. 97 Chevy cavalier! I agree, they are junk. Maybe the design has improved since then?
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-24-2021 | 07:36 AM
Instructor

My moms 2020 crv base model does not have homelink buttons (garage door opener, etc). That vehicle is pretty plain Jane. Especially for a Honda.
Old 09-24-2021 | 04:26 PM
8th Gear

When Pricing Be Released/Leaked?

When pricing for the 2022 RDX be released? Are there any leaks as to pricing?
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-25-2021 | 11:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
My moms 2020 crv base model does not have homelink buttons (garage door opener, etc). That vehicle is pretty plain Jane. Especially for a Honda.
You know they do that on purpose, all car makers do. Its the low price model to grab those people who just refuse to pay more for "extras" they feel they can live without. I saw a display at one Honda dealer of the interior materials like the seat covers. The base "LX" model uses some really thin cheap stuff to cover the seats.Its the same for the lack of solar tinting on the windows and more. They cut every corner to get the price rock bottom. Many people don't even notice or seem to care, they just look at the lower price and convince themselves only suckers pay more for the upgraded models.
Old 09-26-2021 | 05:24 PM
Drifting

My big question now, what will availability be, and when?

Too, in this mid cycle refresh, did they upgrade the CPU and other chips?
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-26-2021 | 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
My 1997 Chevrolet cavalier z24 had those RS-As. 97 Chevy cavalier! I agree, they are junk. Maybe the design has improved since then?
Still the same tire - they've had newer models that have rolled out (RS-A2, Sport, LS, Touring, Exhilarate) but they still make the original one if people want it. Not sure why as the production costs can't possibly be much lower (or any lower) with so much successor products. The dies etc would have been replaced multiple times by now.

I hate the RS-A - it generates less lateral grip than the 19" Continental touring tires, features a worse ride, is weak in the wet and snow. When I drive in the rain I can feel the greasiness of the rubber. There are so many tires that are better than it today that would have been just as cost effective as the RS-A including the Continentals the other trims come with. No other Honda/Acura product comes with an older tire design with less performance than the RDX A-Spec - it's just baffling.
Old 09-27-2021 | 12:01 AM
Instructor

Still the same tire - they've had newer models that have rolled out (RS-A2, Sport, LS, Touring, Exhilarate) but they still make the original one if people want it. Not sure why as the production costs can't possibly be much lower (or any lower) with so much successor products. The dies etc would have been replaced multiple times by now.

I hate the RS-A - it generates less lateral grip than the 19" Continental touring tires, features a worse ride, is weak in the wet and snow. When I drive in the rain I can feel the greasiness of the rubber. There are so many tires that are better than it today that would have been just as cost effective as the RS-A including the Continentals the other trims come with. No other Honda/Acura product comes with an older tire design with less performance than the RDX A-Spec - it's just baffling.
harkens back to the original RSX Type-S that was still graced with the same infamous Michelin HX MXM4s as the base RSX 5AT w/ 30% less bhp. hyper-conservative tires are a Japanese tradition! Their big MMC change was going from a 205-16 to a 215-17. yowza!
Old 09-27-2021 | 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura wants you to be able to slide your A-spec around and have fun! j/k
Old 09-27-2021 | 01:52 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My big question now, what will availability be, and when?

Too, in this mid cycle refresh, did they upgrade the CPU and other chips?
My salesman called and said they were getting a car in 'by the end of October/Beginning of November' and he would give me a call so I could come and check it out. I have had mine for 3 years now, and usually trade up every 3, so this might be the time. I am glad to see that I can get an A-Spec with the Advance stuff, so that might be the ticket! We'll see
MarcoTLX (09-29-2021)
Old 09-27-2021 | 05:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by oblio98
My salesman called and said they were getting a car in 'by the end of October/Beginning of November' and he would give me a call so I could come and check it out. I have had mine for 3 years now, and usually trade up every 3, so this might be the time. I am glad to see that I can get an A-Spec with the Advance stuff, so that might be the ticket! We'll see
I’m looking at an Advance, too.

The time might be right to get out of 19 with not much depreciation, I like the folding mirrors, and the ride is supposedly much improved.
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-27-2021 | 05:22 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I’m tempted too, but I don’t think my wife will go for it. She’s not all that observant though…maybe if I got the same color, she wouldn’t notice?
The following 7 users liked this post by Waetherman:
ELIN (09-27-2021), GW208 (09-27-2021), Ih8honda (10-06-2021), JB in AZ (09-29-2021), Madd Dog (09-27-2021), MarcoTLX (09-29-2021), pilozm (09-28-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-27-2021 | 05:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I’m tempted too, but I don’t think my wife will go for it. She’s not all that observant though…maybe if I got the same color, she wouldn’t notice?
save money on tries and service items, probably avoid paying for new brakes, by golly, by gum, it might be overall cheaper to buy a new car!
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
ELIN (09-27-2021), Ih8honda (10-06-2021), MarcoTLX (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021 | 07:26 AM
Pro

Acura puts out a press release but failed to deliver the update on the website. Te reason this thread is not busy is a result of Acura sharing the details so we can see what is coming for ourselves.
Old 09-29-2021 | 02:15 PM
Racer

When should we expect the build site to go live? I'm hear late October and early November is when inventory begins to arrive. If imagine it would go live sooner than later.

Quick Reply: When to expect 2022 RDX info?