Map Update is "live"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Downloaded the update last night, took about 3 hrs.
Installed in my car at dinner time, took about 1 hr. Car was in accessory mode.
My house is 14yrs old & now it is on the map!
Used a 64GB Lexar usb 2 stick with other folders on it.
Car was new July 2018.

Thanks for starting this thread, was good help.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I called on Friday, got a case number, they said to try back today because it has to be handled by a technician. I called just now, and got no where. They said I have to wait to be called by them. So here I wait......
Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
Finally some measure of success. I just got off the phone with HERE and I spoke with Lauren. She acknowledged the issue and had me to send her a picture of my VIN and some other info she got over the phone. She said she would send this info to Acura to have them to enter my VIN into the database. Just got the auto response acknowledging they got my email. She said they would call back once it was confirmed my VIN was entered. If anyone is interested in the email here it is. abc-english@here.com and I called 1-888-549-3798. I gave them my name, phone number, make/model/year, and a copy of my insurance card. Hope this help others.
I spoke to Lauren on Friday and she sent me to Acura and said they couldn't do anything for me. So best of luck.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeemaker
I had zero issues downloading the update just now. But, I am kind of nervous about actually installing it in the car. Do I have to do it all at once, or will it pick up where I left off if I drive for a bit, turn off the car, drive for a bit, etc.?
I think you can drive the car while it's updating but I absolutely would NOT turn the car off during the update. You're just asking for trouble. If you stop and turn off the engine, the car goes into Accessory mode. The instructions say the car has to be ON during the update. Two presses of the Start button, without your foot on the brake.

Just wait until you have at least an hour to leave the car on. Madd Dog said he left the engine running the whole time but I think that's just a waste of gas. I left the car on in my garage and went inside and had a cup of coffee and a second breakfast. (It's not just a Hobbit thing.)

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 12-02-2019 at 08:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bmosbacker (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I think you can drive the car while it's updating but I absolutely would NOT turn the car off during the update. You're just asking for trouble.
Where's your sense of adventure, young Baggins?
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you can drive the car while it's updating but I absolutely would NOT turn the car off during the update. You're just asking for trouble. If you stop and turn off the engine, the car goes into Accessory mode. The instructions say the car has to be ON during the update. Two presses of the Start button, without your foot on the brake.

Just wait until you have at least an hour to leave the car on. Madd Dog said he left the engine running the whole time but I think that's just a waste of gas. I left the car on in my garage and went inside and had a cup of coffee and a second breakfast. (It's not just a Hobbit thing.)
The instructions say the engine doesn’t need to be running, but nothing about on vs accessory. My car is in a garage and I could do it now, but I’m afraid that it won’t start when I need to go to work in the morning. It seems very wasteful and environmentally unfriendly to run the car for an hour for no reason. This is a stupid way to update a car.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Advanced

The instructions say the engine doesn’t need to be running, but nothing about on vs accessory. My car is in a garage and I could do it now, but I’m afraid that it won’t start when I need to go to work in the morning. It seems very wasteful and environmentally unfriendly to run the car for an hour for no reason. This is a stupid way to update a car.
I think I will just wait for the weekend when I have an hour to kill while my son is at a class. I’ll run the engine for real and not have to worry about the battery. Grrrr.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
The instructions say the engine doesn’t need to be running, but nothing about on vs accessory. ...
I don't know if anyone has done it in Accessory mode. And I don't know why you'd think the vehicle may not start. I don't think anyone has had that problem.

Although my Engine Idle Stop has not been available since I did the map update. And I don't mean, the engine doesn't shut off. I actually get a message on the center display "Engine Idle Stop not Available". Never saw that before.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Drifting

I don't know if anyone has done it in Accessory mode. And I don't know why you'd think the vehicle may not start. I don't think anyone has had that problem.

Although my Engine Idle Stop has not been available since I did the map update. And I don't mean, the engine doesn't shut off. I actually get a message on the center display "Engine Idle Stop not Available". Never saw that before.
Post #241, Gate17 claims to have updated maps in Accessory mode.

Risks of any update could include bricking the infotainment system, but AFAIK all evidence suggests the vehicle will still function as a transportation appliance in that wounded state.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried in Accessory mode to no avail. Waited 5 hours and it didn't finish loading. Of course there is always a chance that I did something wrong. In ON/RUN mode it took 1 hr. I know that it takes more than an hour to discharge battery, even with lights ON. Without headlights it would take many hours. After update my car started easily.

I've seen "Idle mode not available.." message once when my infotainment froze, but next time I restarted car, after 1 hour or so, it worked fine.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerzy
I tried in Accessory mode to no avail. Waited 5 hours and it didn't finish loading. Of course there is always a chance that I did something wrong. In ON/RUN mode it took 1 hr. I know that it takes more than an hour to discharge battery, even with lights ON. Without headlights it would take many hours. After update my car started easily.

I've seen "Idle mode not available.." message once when my infotainment froze, but next time I restarted car, after 1 hour or so, it worked fine.
I had similar experience to Jerzy last evening when installing update. When I put USB in accessory mode, nothing happened regarding uploading of map files. So decided to reformat USB to Fat32, as this USB had music on it prior. After backing up map files to USB and back after reformatting, tried again in accessory mode and again nothing, this time with audio on FM radio, not USB audio. Then went to accessory 2 mode, pressing on button twice, no brake pedal. This seem to finally get the map uploading started with prompt. Turned off Nav, to reduce battery usage but still heard a slight electrical hum from engine compartment, so I stopped this mode, and went back to single accessory mode and the uploading started this time. Turned off Nav once again, and after hour or so, it was successfully uploaded with July 2019 date.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

After Madd Dog stated that it took him about an hour to do the update off the flash drive, I balanced the use of gas with the engine running with the drain on the battery when in accessory mode just sitting in the garage. I ran an errand while updating, keeping the car running while my passenger left the car and returned. That took about half an hour. Then when I returned to my garage, I turned the car off, DID NOT OPEN THE DOOR, then I put it into accessory mode, keeping power to the flash drive, then opened the door, left the car, went inside, and checked back in half an hour and saw the message that the map update was done, Restarted the car, checked the map version to see if it was more recent, and then took a short trip with a route to a favorite place to see if it worked correctly which it did.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eiffel
I had similar experience to Jerzy last evening when installing update. When I put USB in accessory mode, nothing happened regarding uploading of map files. So decided to reformat USB to Fat32, as this USB had music on it prior. After backing up map files to USB and back after reformatting, tried again in accessory mode and again nothing, this time with audio on FM radio, not USB audio. Then went to accessory 2 mode, pressing on button twice, no brake pedal. This seem to finally get the map uploading started with prompt. Turned off Nav, to reduce battery usage but still heard a slight electrical hum from engine compartment, so I stopped this mode, and went back to single accessory mode and the uploading started this time. Turned off Nav once again, and after hour or so, it was successfully uploaded with July 2019 date.
I’m new to the RDX. What is the difference between accessory and accessory 2 mode?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you all downloading this software? When I go to the website https://acuranavi.navigation.com/vie...KHomepage-Home and enter my VIN and the Database Version (2018.02.16) I get the following error message.. We are unable to find the VIN provided. Please check the VIN and try again or contact us.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SacRDX
How are you all downloading this software? When I go to the website https://acuranavi.navigation.com/vie...KHomepage-Home and enter my VIN and the Database Version (2018.02.16) I get the following error message.. We are unable to find the VIN provided. Please check the VIN and try again or contact us.
Welcome to the club. Some of us get this, some don't. If you get it, you're screwed until Acura does something on their end. I got it.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
I’m new to the RDX. What is the difference between accessory and accessory 2 mode?
In "ON" mode, HVAC fans, headlights, and every other electrical device in the car is active.

In "Accessory" mode, only a few things are active, including the audio and infotainment system. This draws much less power from the battery.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:33 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I installed today. Worked without a hitch. Took about 45 minutes.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I installed today. Worked without a hitch. Took about 45 minutes.

Yeah, sure. Sit back, let us beta-test it and identify issues, then you just mosey in and slide on by. Is that the way it is?
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
97ws6 (12-03-2019), MXFanatic (12-05-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRDX
Just got an e-mail back from Acura Navigation Center/HERE stating that they are aware of my problem and they are working to get my VIN added to their database. This is after speaking with someone at HERE (Lauren?) and sending two e-mails, one with a picture of my VIN and one with my VIN and map database version last Wednesday, November 27th.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Hey I'm just like everyone else here, trying to be at the bleeding edge. It just worked out better for me than some, I guess.

I realize there are a lot of folks here for whom it has not worked out, and maybe it's easy for me to say because I didn't have any problems, but let's be real; Acura hasn't announced this update. It was found by @billyt1963 on a bit of a lark. It's not surprising to me that not all the systems are quite ready for people to download it. Until Acura announces it, I don't think we should be complaining about how it isn't working perfectly. Being at the bleeding edge means having to deal with some technical difficulties.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Drifting

It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by arjaykay
Just got an e-mail back from Acura Navigation Center/HERE stating that they are aware of my problem and they are working to get my VIN added to their database. This is after speaking with someone at HERE (Lauren?) and sending two e-mails, one with a picture of my VIN and one with my VIN and map database version last Wednesday, November 27th.
I got a similar e-mail, after I sent a message through their web portal a few days ago.

Sadly, this is quite reminiscent of what happened ( or didn't happen ) with the last two updates over the past year and a half. And I'm definitely bleeding from that edge.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Hey I'm just like everyone else here, trying to be at the bleeding edge. It just worked out better for me than some, I guess.

I realize there are a lot of folks here for whom it has not worked out, and maybe it's easy for me to say because I didn't have any problems, but let's be real; Acura hasn't announced this update. It was found by @billyt1963 on a bit of a lark. It's not surprising to me that not all the systems are quite ready for people to download it. Until Acura announces it, I don't think we should be complaining about how it isn't working perfectly. Being at the bleeding edge means having to deal with some technical difficulties.
Six months from now it still might not be announced. Who knows? One would think if they did not want us downloading it, they would not put it on an internet facing server with instructions and no access security if not generally available.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
FWIW...I just got an email back from HERE, after describing the issue and giving my VIN. They are asking for my database version. At least no one there, yet, is denying that that there is an update...which clearly there is.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Question for someone who has successfully updated the maps....
In the lower left corner there is a scale indicator ..500 ft, 1/4 mile, etc.
On my original map software, at night, this indicator is there, but dark, and almost impossible to see. Has this been fixed?

Old 12-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Instructor

For those not getting their VIN recognized, does your VIN get recognized on Acura Link (acuralink.acura.com) or Acura.com? Just a stab in the dark that HERE may get the VIN from those site databases.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Mine does.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
On my original map software, at night, this indicator is there, but dark, and almost impossible to see. Has this been fixed?
No.

Nor is the chosen scale persistent between starts, and you have to rezoom for each startup.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Updated!

Well, it took a while to download the files but once done, the update was easy—less than an hour. :-) Thanks everyone for the help and instructions on this thread!
Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
For those not getting their VIN recognized, does your VIN get recognized on Acura Link (acuralink.acura.com) or Acura.com? Just a stab in the dark that HERE may get the VIN from those site databases.
Mine is acceped at AcuraLink and Acura.com, but not at HERE.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
No.

Nor is the chosen scale persistent between starts, and you have to rezoom for each startup.
Thank you! Not surprised.

IIRC, the infotainment update prior to the most recent one did add zooming that was absent before, so perhaps that is an Infotainment update feature rather than a map data update?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by arjaykay
Mine is acceped at AcuraLink and Acura.com, but not at HERE.
Same with me!
Old 12-03-2019, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
The scale is still dark.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Downloaded the upgrade last night it took about 2 hours but the wifi at work is throttled pretty good. Tried to install in Accessory mode, did NOT load. Turned to ON mode it loaded in 50 minutes. (I turned off headlights and audio)

No issues so far.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Advanced

In which I did everything wrong, and it still worked out:

Sitting in the passenger seat (first mistake), I turned on the car in ON mode, plugged in the stick, and managed to turn on the windshield wipers (dry) while trying to figure out how to turn the headlights out. Then, because the screen just showed the map, I pulled the stick, thinking it wasn't updating. It was, as the message said, put the stick back in to update. For various reasons, I did that like two more times. (Don't ask.) Ultimately, I only had it in ON mode to get it started, and it updated just fine in about an hour in accessory mode. Even though I disconnected it multiple times. Next time, I think I will just let it update during multiple normal driving trips. Anyway. The date updated and it appeared to work.

To those who haven't done this yet: if you exit NAV and re-enter, you will get an updating message. The message disappears and just shows the map, but it is still updating. I may have known that had I noticed the light on the USB stick. Oh well. All's well that ends well.

Now, to get my VIN in the AcuraLink database.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
FWIW...I just got an email back from HERE, after describing the issue and giving my VIN. They are asking for my database version. At least no one there, yet, is denying that that there is an update...which clearly there is.
I got the same request yesterday to provide my database version. I wondered why that even matters, but sent it in. Waiting........
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got a call from Acura Customer Support yesterday, and they said they are aware of the problem that many of the 2019 RDXs were not in the database, and that they are working to get the database fixed. They said they would get back to me as soon as it's fixed. Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath! Lol
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gate 17
I thought about that as well. Logged in to Acura and followed the link to update maps from their site but it failed that way as well.
Hopefully the VIN submissions will start having successful downloads soon.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Wanted to let you guys know, I got a call back from Acura Customer Care and they confirmed they had discovered there was a known issue with using USB drives bigger than 64 GB with the map downloader. Many of my flash drives are bigger than 64GB and this added to my problems when trying to use it. Kind of silly I think.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ender519
Wanted to let you guys know, I got a call back from Acura Customer Care and they confirmed they had discovered there was a known issue with using USB drives bigger than 64 GB with the map downloader. Many of my flash drives are bigger than 64GB and this added to my problems when trying to use it. Kind of silly I think.
Yikes. Without knowing, it sounds like they ported code over that they used to build DVDs from for map updates when all cars with navigation systems had CD/DVD drives. It is written at a low level with hardware dependencies rather than the higher level operating system interfaces. That way if the operating system supports the device, the application does.

Quick Reply: Map Update is "live"