Map Update is "live"

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Finished a 32 minute conversation with a Garmin rep and they have NOTHING to do with the map update. He even tried helping me with this VIN issue and no luck. I received more help and truthful answers from him than I did with Acura and HERE. He went so far as to entering my VIN and database number into HERE's website and got the same result as I and many others have. At some point the dealer or someone further up in Acura failed to put some VIN into the database and pass that on to HERE. Oh well.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Pretty sure their new "Less Talk, More Drive" slogan is aimed at owners telling them to talk to their reps less
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by billyt1963
There was another thread that indicated a map update would be available in early Dec and I have a bad habit of checking every so often to see if there is an update.

Billy
I see that now...thanks.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:15 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
Here is the latest excuse form HERE regarding the map download. They are now saying the only make the map but Garmin is responsible for pushing out the download to vehicle owners.
This is a cut and paste from the chat session.Customer Service[6:44 PM] Please briefly describe your reason for contacting us today.

You[6:45 PM] How do I get my VIN added to the database so that I can download the latest map?

Customer Service[6:45 PM] Your chat will be directed to the next available agent.

Devin[6:46 PM] Hi my name is Devin, thank you for contacting us today. It will be my pleasure to assist you. please allow me a moment to review your message, and look up your information.

Devin[6:47 PM] Hello Ken. We do not provide map updates for the 2019 RDX as they should already come equipped with the latest maps available. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You[6:48 PM] You guys produce the map.

You[6:48 PM] I have to come to this site to download the map.

You[6:48 PM] Acura/navigation.com

You[6:49 PM] A new map was just released yesterday for the RDX.

Devin[6:49 PM] If you refer to this link you can enter your VIN and your database version to proceed with the MapCare options.

Devin[6:49 PM] https://acuranavi.navigation.com/vie...KHomepage-Home

Devin[6:49 PM] We do not provide support for the downloads.

You[6:50 PM] I have been to this page all afternoon and my VIN is not in the database.

You[6:50 PM] Why does a support page exist on the site which brought me here?

You[6:51 PM] Why the run around?

You[6:51 PM] HERE produces the map and distributes it.

Devin[6:51 PM] The downloads are handled by Garmin. You can contact Garmin at 888-442-7646 for further assistance. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You[6:51 PM] You have access to Acura's VIN database.

You[6:52 PM] The maps are created by HERE not Garmin.

You[6:52 PM] There is no mention of Garmin anywhere on your site.

Devin[6:53 PM] The maps are created by HERE but the downloads are distributed by Garmin. They handle all technical support for these issues. When you enter your vehicle information on the website you will be redirected to Garmin, unfortunately it must not be in the database. Please contact Garmin for further assistance. I don't have further information on updating the maps in your vehicle. I sincerely apologize but that is all the information I have at this time.

You[6:54 PM] The link you sent me puts me on HERE's website for the download to go to a flash drive. From there I plug the flash drive into my vehicle to update it.

You[6:54 PM] YOur company is worse than CONGRESS! Thanks for the bullshit run around.
Wow....just ..wow. How did Acura get here...from there?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Pro

Nobody wants to take ownership of this soup sandwich. Blame game in full effect.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I must be in luck (for now.. map is still downloading, fluctuating between 2h and 5h remaining...).
My current map version (2020 Tech) is 2018.02.16. Looks like new version is 2019.07.08.

Map Downloader recognized the USB thumbdrive.

Downloading map.

Looks like it's going to take most of the night (or at least after I have gone to bed). Will install the map on the car tomorrow and take snapshots. Will post here with step-by-step from owners.acura.com to getting the map updated here, if any interest.

Last edited by rdxnguyen; 11-27-2019 at 07:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxnguyen
Looks like it's going to take most of the night (or at least after I have gone to bed). Will install the map on the car tomorrow and take snapshots. Will post here with step-by-step from owners.acura.com to getting the map updated here, if any interest.
Thank you from all of us!

Lots of interest.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
My update never worked. I tried off and on for three hours. The system never did anything. Never gave me any message. I'm guessing that the microSD to USB is not compatible with Android and/or this Infotainment system. So now I'm back to square one. I may just buy a new 32GB USB drive and try that.

Also I checked thoroughly in the Navi menus and there was no option to check for updates or anything of the sort. Just the same informational screen telling you to go to the website.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Now I'm really puzzled. I inserted USB drive, per instructions, to car USB slot while car was in RUN/ON mode. I got momentary message "Uploading Navigation Maps". I turned off the car. Five hours passed and nothing. I checked version - still old 2018/02/16. I removed drive and inserted again - got "Uploading Navigation Maps". Now I'm waiting again. Shall I leave my car in Run/ON mode for 5 hours? Instructions said that mode doesn't matter.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerzy
Now I'm really puzzled. I inserted USB drive, per instructions, to car USB slot while car was in RUN/ON mode. I got momentary message "Uploading Navigation Maps". I turned off the car. Five hours passed and nothing. I checked version - still old 2018/02/16. I removed drive and inserted again - got "Uploading Navigation Maps". Now I'm waiting again. Shall I leave my car in Run/ON mode for 5 hours? Instructions said that mode doesn't matter.
I sat in the car with it running. It took around an hour. I cannot imagine it would upload while everything was off. I cranked up the music, and periodically switched music and nav screens. Every time I got back to the big nav screen, it said updating. My stick, a Sandisk Cruzer glows red when it is accessing. Eventually, I got the upload completed notice and restarted the car. It had updated.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 11-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
rdxnguyen (11-27-2019), thetrev68 (12-04-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I sat in the car with it running. It took around an hour. I cannot imagine it would upload while everything was off. I cranked up the music, and periodically switched music and nav screens. Every time I got back to the big nav screen, it said updating. My stick, a Sandisk Cruzer glows red when it is accessing. Eventually, I got the upload completed notice and restarted the car. It had updated.
Thanks, I will try it tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Advanced

I sat in the car with it running. It took around an hour....
With any luck the map downloaded to the USB stick successfully tonight, guess I'll spend the time tomorrow watching the turkey roasted and the nav map update -- all in the garage.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Drifting

With any luck the map downloaded to the USB stick successfully tonight, guess I'll spend the time tomorrow watching the turkey roasted and the nav map update -- all in the garage.

I suggest you pull the car out of the garage. I would be concerned about running down the battery on these cars.
rdxnguyen (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Advanced

I suggest you pull the car out of the garage. I would be concerned about running down the battery on these cars.
I would think the battery used to power the A.I.S should have more than enough juice for this map update, but good advice. It's not lithium-ion. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ender519
I can't even get the damned thing to recognize my USB drive. I've tried formatting over and over to FAT32, and it never sees it. I keep getting "Please plug in a USB device with at least 14.1 GB of free space". There's a refresh button but it does nothing. I'm wondering if it's a Catalina (macOS) compatibility issue. It says HERE all over the app, but if you call HERE, they say they only provide the framework and Acura develops the app, and they have nothing to do with it. When you call Acura dealer, they have no fucking clue. When you call Acura 800 number / AcuraLink they swear the updates are OTA, but can't point to anywhere in the manual or any option on the system to actually make that happen, only that they are available OTA. And then they leave it at that. They also insist there is no update currently available which means they have no idea when updates are released, in addition to having no idea how to update their own system. Ridiculous.

Also, anyone wondering about Mac - the format option for FAT in the Disk Utility is FAT32, but if you wish you can also go to Terminal and use "diskutil list" to find the device name for your USB drive i.e. /dev/disk2 and then use command "sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 <USBNAME> MBRFormat <DEVICENAME>" so if your disk is /dev/disk2 and you wanted volume name to be MYUSB you would run "sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 MYUSB MBRFormat /dev/disk2". Anyway, it's the same thing and it still won't work.
I don't have a Mac, but on Windows 10 version it appears there's an option on the Map Downloader to download the Map to the hard drive. Click on About, and click Options. I haven't tried it as I was already downloading the map to the USB stick. Anyone having a hard time with Map Downloader recognizing the USB drive may wanna try this option? Then copy the folder to the USB drive afterwards?

About >> Options shows the Save maps to hard drive.

Folder where it saves the map on the USB drive.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Sometimes I think that my TSX is the last decent car that Acura made.

My sister had a 2016 ILX lease that was up earlier this year. A month or two after turn in, Acura decided that she owed property tax on the car. She was in Europe so she asked me to call and straighten it out.

First, they needed a document signed by her authorizing them to talk to me. The form she was to fill out and sign did not have her name or address on it - just my name, address and her signature. They only would accept it via fax, meaning that I had to get one of those email to fax accounts.
They had the signed paperwork and could talk to me but the payment had to come from my sister unless she called them and told them it was OK for me to pay - but I had to sign a paper saying it was OK for them to talk to her.

Once we got it paid, they had to send a receipt via fax. Their cover sheet header is from some unknown company and the whole cover sheet looked like it was made on those very first cover sheet generators.

A month later, they sent the same "you owe tax" email and I had to create another email to fax account to send them the prior paperwork - but first, my sister had to sign another paper.

Clowns. I don't know what my next car will be but it won't be an Acura or Honda.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
This gets more interesting all the time. Honda uses Garmin navigation software in their latest models, and this update scheme is certainly reminiscent of the hoops you have to jump through to update either Garmin devices or the embedded Honda/Garmin system.

But cumbersome or otherwise, the Garmin update scheme for their software and/or hardware WORKS!

This hot mess is something different. And it's no wonder nobody wants to take "credit" for it.

I kinda hoped they were going to get a clue and redesign this whole process.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
I would think the battery used to power the A.I.S should have more than enough juice for this map update, but good advice. It's not lithium-ion. Better safe than sorry.
You will probably be OK in "Accessory mode" ( one Start button push without pushing the brake pedal ). But if the car is ON ( two button pushes without pushing the brake, so the engine doesn't start ), with the HVAC fans running, headlights on ( unless you manually turn them off ), and who-knows-what-else running, you WILL run down the battery.

The only good options are:

1) Install in "Accessory mode"

2) Get the car out of the garage and run the engine during the update

3) Let the darn thing install in the background while you do your usual routine. It may take a week or so, but it won't kill your battery.

4 ) Hook up an external power source to the battery. This is what dealer service would do.

The absolute safest approach is 1 + 4

BTW, the AGM battery in this vehicle doesn't have much more capacity than a "normal" automotive lead acid battery, it's just a bit more tolerant of deep discharges and frequent discharge/charge cycles.

Last edited by Wander; 11-27-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Success !!! I placed car in ON/RUN mode without starting the engine and turned off the headlights. I plugged in the drive and got "Uploading Navigation Maps" message. I left the car and after about an hour I found message that update was completed. I restarted car and verified that it has new version of navigation maps.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone able to upload the maps file to somewhere where we all could get it? It seems a ton of people's VIN's aren't going to show up.
Cuzz (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 07:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by skipatrol
Anyone able to upload the maps file to somewhere where we all could get it? It seems a ton of people's VIN's aren't going to show up.
According to the HERE site comment, the upload is VIN specific and supposedly will only work for the VIN that downloaded it.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
What I'd like to know is why do I have to download and install software in order to download and install software? I tried it at work yesterday when I saw this thread and the VIN seemed to check out. But first, I had to download the downloader. But I couldn't install it because I don't have admin privileges at work. I'll try it again today when I have some time.

Interesting that my VIN checked out, even though I'm one of those still stuck on D.1.1.2 on the OTA updates.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
What I'd like to know is why do I have to download and install software in order to download and install software? I tried it at work yesterday when I saw this thread and the VIN seemed to check out. But first, I had to download the downloader. But I couldn't install it because I don't have admin privileges at work. I'll try it again today when I have some time.

Interesting that my VIN checked out, even though I'm one of those still stuck on D.1.1.2 on the OTA updates.
The Map Downloader app associates a handle in the computer OS that it gets invoked with data from that Download button on the HERE site. The app does some verification including USB stick detection, and probably connects to Garmin server to download the files. The entire download is 1005 files in 119 folders for a total of 14.1 GB. It's not a big zip file that can just be simply downloaded from the browser. The app seems to multithread the download so it downloads multiple files at the same time. Enough with the nerdy techie stuffs lol.

I'm surprised your workplace even allows you to stick a USB drive in the work computer. That's an offense at my workplace due to risk of stealing company's information.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Here we go.. Hope my luck holds out. I put the car in Accessory Mode and turn off the Display while it's installing the map update.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Skeptic

Are you kidding me with this shit? It won't let me save it to the USB because it's not formatted to FAT32. There is no option in Win10 to format to FAT32; only NTFS or exFAT, which is an extension of FAT32.

There's also an option in the maploader software to save to the hard drive but that does nothing.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 11-28-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Skeptic

Nothing I do will get it to recognize the drive.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
With help from here, go the map update download. Silly me thought if the USB stick was plugged in first I was saving time .

It took about an hour to get the download. I put the car in accessory mode this morning and let it sit in the carport. Again, it took about an hour, but now I am at 2019.07.08 (I think).

Just a brief listen it sounds as if the voice is different.

Hopefully will get to do some tests on the long weekend.

Billy
Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Are you kidding me with this shit? It won't let me save it to the USB because it's not formatted to FAT32. There is no option in Win10 to format to FAT32; only NTFS or exFAT, which is an extension of FAT32.

There's also an option in the maploader software to save to the hard drive but that does nothing.

Have you tried this to format your USB stick as Fat32?
  • Connect USB or external hard drive to Windows 10PC.
  • Open File Explorer, locate and right-click on the USB drive, select "Format".
  • Set the FAT32 as the target file system, tick "Quick Format" and click "Start" to start the formatting.
Billy
NooYawkuh (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Drifting

when I reformatted in win 10 it let me format to FAT 32. Are you sure you’re formatting the right drive? If it is bigger than 32G, you have additional hoops through which to jump.

Look at this, for example. https://windowsloop.com/format-drive...32-windows-10/

Us old guys are quite familiar with the command prompt. Be aware that everything ​​​​​​ matters. Spaces, colons, slashes, etc., (not case, IIRC) and double check before you hit enter.

The thumb drive should be an upper letter, not C or D, for sure. So be careful and use the right letter.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 11-28-2019 at 09:44 AM.
NooYawkuh (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:41 AM
Skeptic

Well, I finally figured that out. You cannot format a disk larger than 32 Gb to FAT32. I was trying a 128 Gb stick. Downloading now ...

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Drifting

All thanks to Billy for letting us know about the map update.
billyt1963 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
My VIN is not in the database. Now what? I will call my Acura dealer. Map version 2018.02.16.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
My VIN is not in the database. Now what? I will call my Acura dealer. Map version 2018.02.16.

The only thing you can do is contact HERE and let them know your VIN is not in the database. If you scroll up and read my some of my previous posts it was a complete waste of time to contact HERE and Acura. Neither had a clue about this and neither would accept responsibility for this. So for now I’ll just wait.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
Probably a waste of time to call the dealer. I would start with Acura Customer Service. Try some of the numbers on this page. They're probably the only ones who can straighten out the database issues.
https://owners.acura.com/help/client-relations
Old 11-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Probably a waste of time to call the dealer. I would start with Acura Customer Service. Try some of the numbers on this page. They're probably the only ones who can straighten out the database issues.
https://owners.acura.com/help/client-relations
Thanks. I will do just that.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced

As promised, I put together a quick step-by-step document (it's a pdf).

Thanks @billyt1963 for the map update heads up and this thread. Thanks everyone for the feedback, and inputs. This is an awesome community!

For those celebrating Thanksgiving (in the States or elsewhere), have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited by rdxnguyen; 11-28-2019 at 10:40 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by rdxnguyen:
billyt1963 (11-28-2019), bluntman72 (11-28-2019), D-RDX (03-03-2022), JB in AZ (11-28-2019), Madd Dog (11-28-2019), NooYawkuh (11-28-2019), platocplx (12-19-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Mac also has an option to download to HD, but it does not work. I had to order USB 32G stick from amazon, I ordered USB 3.0, will it work? They tell you USB2.0 32G. Can anyone confirm if USB 3.0 works?
Old 11-28-2019, 11:59 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by russianDude
Mac also has an option to download to HD, but it does not work. I had to order USB 32G stick from amazon, I ordered USB 3.0, will it work? They tell you USB2.0 32G. Can anyone confirm if USB 3.0 works?
I think 3.0 is just the port protocol. Faster transfer than previous versions. Some older computers might only have USB 1 or 2 ports. I think my laptop has only one 3.0 port and two 2.0 ports. Slower but probably still faster than your download speed which is the bottleneck. My download looks like it will take at least 4-5 hours.

But yeah, it seems you need a stick that's EXACTLY 32 Gb, even though the instruction say AT LEAST 32 Gb. Fortunately, I happen to have one.

Now I'm wondering, if my VIN was in the map data base, why wasn't it in the infotainment data base?

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 11-28-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Drifting

I think 3.0 is just the port protocol. Faster transfer than previous versions. Some older computers might only have USB 1 or 2 ports. I think my laptop has only one 3.0 port and two 2.0 ports. Slower but probably still faster than your download speed which is the bottleneck. My download looks like it will take at least 4-5 hours.

But yeah, it seems you need a stick that's EXACTLY 32 Gb, even though the instruction say AT LEAST 32 Gb. Fortunately, I happen to have one.

Now I'm wondering, if my VIN was in the map data base, why wasn't it in the infotainment data base?

You can format a larger USB to FAT 32, see instructions in the link I put up above.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I used a Sandisk 64 gb 3.0 stick that was already formatted Fat32. I had used this same stick for the short lived previous update. I just deleted the old map and did not reformat the stick. It took a while to download, probably due to my internet but it did load on to the stick with no problems.
russianDude (11-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Map Update is "live"