Map Update is "live"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Unsuccessful.

I had the drive inserted for at least two hours of driving over the last few days. Version still says 2018. I don't have any more interest in fooling with this.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG, that map issue has been resolved. Please read the email I got from Acura today..

Thank you for contacting Acura Navigation Center. For the site to recognize the VIN and provide the latest map data, your Connected Features needs to be enabled. Below will be the instructions on how to enable your Connected Features.

To check the status of this feature and to enable it if needed, follow these steps:
1. From the HOME screen, select Navigation.
2. From the map screen, select MENU.
3. From the Navigation Menu screen, scroll down to Connected Features and make sure it reads Enable.
4. Select Connected Features, then Enable

With this feature enabled, the system shares VIN, location, and usage info with an online server (HERE) for the most
up-to-date driving and point of interest (POI) info. With it disabled, there's no connection and the system must rely on
what's stored in its map database.

Once the feature is enabled, please return to the site and insert the VIN of your vehicle once more.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

Low and behold mine was disabled. I selected enabled went inside and 2-minutes later I'm downloading the navigation software.

Why couldn't someone just have said this to begin with. What a joke!
Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRDX
OMG, that map issue has been resolved. Please read the email I got from Acura today..
Some people still had problems with remote data enabled. Not the only issue.
The following users liked this post:
markm929 (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 03:39 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
- H L Mencken

It’s always been disabled for me, and yet the update worked on the first try. Acura wants this “feature” activated because they can collect and sell data about every move we make.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:44 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRDX

Thank you for contacting Acura Navigation Center. For the site to recognize the VIN and provide the latest map data, your Connected Features needs to be enabled. Below will be the instructions on how to enable your Connected Features.

To check the status of this feature and to enable it if needed, follow these steps:
1. From the HOME screen, select Navigation.
2. From the map screen, select MENU.
3. From the Navigation Menu screen, scroll down to Connected Features and make sure it reads Enable.
4. Select Connected Features, then Enable

With this feature enabled, the system shares VIN, location, and usage info with an online server (HERE) for the most
up-to-date driving and point of interest (POI) info. With it disabled, there's no connection and the system must rely on
what's stored in its map database.

Once the feature is enabled, please return to the site and insert the VIN of your vehicle once more.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

Low and behold mine was disabled. I selected enabled went inside and 2-minutes later I'm downloading the navigation software.

It was mentioned several times in early posts in this thread as being a possible solution.. However not everyone with this problem had it disabled.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by tangible
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
- H L Mencken

It’s always been disabled for me, and yet the update worked on the first try. Acura wants this “feature” activated because they can collect and sell data about every move we make.
which is where the traffic info comes from.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am stuck at downloading the map. I download the HERE downloader however when I click the map DOWNLOAD button it greys out and gives me the popup saying to download the downloader- which I already did and installed it on my thumb drive.

I'm assuming mu Macbook is to old (2009) to run the program?

I called HERE support yesterday who forwarded me to Acura... I was transferred EIGHT times - Acura client relations, Acura navigation, etc, then finally forwarded to a line which hung up on me lol. Absolutely the worst fragmentation I have ever experienced with any company. Acuralink is just as bad- It took a MONTH to get the services on the app working and correct. SAD
Old 01-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pezones
I am stuck at downloading the map. I download the HERE downloader however when I click the map DOWNLOAD button it greys out and gives me the popup saying to download the downloader- which I already did and installed it on my thumb drive.

I'm assuming mu Macbook is to old (2009) to run the program?

I called HERE support yesterday who forwarded me to Acura... I was transferred EIGHT times - Acura client relations, Acura navigation, etc, then finally forwarded to a line which hung up on me lol. Absolutely the worst fragmentation I have ever experienced with any company. Acuralink is just as bad- It took a MONTH to get the services on the app working and correct. SAD
I tried to download on my MacBook Pro (late 2012 with macOS Catalina, etc.)...and it would get to about 20% and just get stuck or a message saying I had no Internet connection.

I finally switched to Windows 10 (Parallels), and while it look longer than it should have, it finally downloaded. I'm guessing their Mac installer is buggy.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by wmkim
I tried to download on my MacBook Pro (late 2012 with macOS Catalina, etc.)...and it would get to about 20% and just get stuck or a message saying I had no Internet connection.

I finally switched to Windows 10 (Parallels), and while it look longer than it should have, it finally downloaded. I'm guessing their Mac installer is buggy.
The HERE map installer worked fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro running Catalina.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
You ruined the day of some minimum wage worker. I hope you feel good about yourself.
If you know how to contact Acura CEO to discuss these kinds of issues, feel free to post here.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:52 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
This whole map-update thing was needlessly difficult for some, but I am most surprised that there has not been, and doubt now there will ever be, any notice from Acura that there was a map update to begin with. That and the fact it took maybe 18 months or so from the cars first release date to get a map update out. I don't know what my timing expectation would be, but my comparison would be to my standalone Garmin GPS in my LR3 that seems to get several map updates a year.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Success!
Mine is a 2020 with a build date of 10/19 and map version was 2018.2.16. I had problem at first downloading because I was trying to use a 500GB HDD and the HERE software did not recognize it. I ended up buying a 32MB Sandisk thurmbdrive, formatted it with Win10 laptop which took about 90 minutes.
After that the software downloaded successfully right to the thumbdrive. Don't know how long it took, but at least 2 hours. Checked back after 4 hours and it was complete. Took the thumbdrive and plugged it into the USB in the console with the ignition in "on" position (I let the navi completely boot up before I plugged in the thumbdrive". After 10 seconds of reading the drive, displayed "map upgrade in progress" (or something to that effect, it basically just flashed and dissappeared. Blink and you will miss it). Shut off interior lights and headlights and left it alone checking up on it periodically. After 45-50 minutes, displayed map upgrade successful. Will load on next start up. DONE. Just wanted to point out that during the 45 minutes while the map was being updated, there was no indication anything was happening other than the thumbdrive flashing. I also just plugged it directly into the USB without any additional jumper and the thumbdrive wasn't hot when it was complete. This was done with vehicle inside my 55 degree garage.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Map upgrade not working

Successfully downloaded the software to my 64gb USB (I partitioned it into 2-32gb sections) and when plugging into car, it isn’t recognized.

I’m assuming that the partitions are consuming the system. I only have this one 64gb USB stick and don’t know what to do.

any thoughts? Thanks
Old 01-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by konyo1
Successfully downloaded the software to my 64gb USB (I partitioned it into 2-32gb sections) and when plugging into car, it isn’t recognized.

I’m assuming that the partitions are consuming the system. I only have this one 64gb USB stick and don’t know what to do.

any thoughts? Thanks
Buy a 32 GB USB stick from Amazon for about $6
lausy (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 04:35 PM
'20 RDX Elite

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

any thoughts? Thanks
The 64Gb USB stick should work as is without partitions (probably will not work if you partition it).
Do a complete format of the USB drive and that should get rid of the partitions. Then try with this, you might have to download the maps again.
You could try copying the folder/files over if you save it before formatting, this might not work, but worth the try.
If it still doesn't work, you might need a different USB stick.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:06 PM
Skeptic

How does the vehicle OS know which partition to access? All it looks like is two disk drives. The vehicle looks for a particular file or directory to start the update. If it doesn't recognize it, it stops.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Downloaded without issue to a 64gb USB 3.0 stick. Put it into the cupholder USB port with the car booted up, etc. Nothing happens. Let it sit for 20 minutes, still nothing.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chappyja
Downloaded without issue to a 64gb USB 3.0 stick. Put it into the cupholder USB port with the car booted up, etc. Nothing happens. Let it sit for 20 minutes, still nothing.

i think the issue is that the 64gb stick is too large. I am trying with a 32gb one tomorrow and will post my results.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i think the issue is that the 64gb stick is too large. I am trying with a 32gb one tomorrow and will post my results.
I used a 64 GB flash drive to download the map info, and it installed fine. It was the downloading part that was quirky for me.
jonarogers (01-13-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 01:01 PM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
I used a 128G SanDisk usb drive on a Win10 PC with no issues. So (I never thought I would say this) I guess size doesn't matter.
HA!

Regards ---------------
Old 01-08-2020, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Just re-formatted 64gb usb stick without partitions and re-downloaded the software. Turned on car and infotainment system and inserted USB into port and NOTHING...message comes up that there are no upgrade files on the drive.

GGGRRRRRRRRR...
Old 01-08-2020, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Drove a section of I-99 in central Pennsylvania today.
the speed limit changed from 55 to 65 last Spring but, the updated map still has it at 55.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:12 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
I asked my dealer's service manager about this nav update. He said he has not been notified about it. Total FU I say.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Maps are not updated in real time. I am pretty sure they use geologic time.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Will the maps eventually update automatically or is this strictly a download and DIY proposition?
Old 01-09-2020, 08:02 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
Will the maps eventually update automatically or is this strictly a download and DIY proposition?
I think according to the manual the update had to be done by USB.

It has been over a month since the map update was discovered, so I do wonder what’s going on with Acura. Are they doing their own QA before releasing it? I imagine it takes some time just to get the dealer stuff in order but it shouldn’t be too long.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by robnalex
“Eventually” covers a lot of ground. The advent of CarPlay and Android Auto sounded the death knell for proprietary vehicle nav, which offers an expensive and inferior product. In a few years I expect most cars to come with wireless CarPlay and AA, and not even offer NAV. Remember car phones?

The current focus seems to be on milking the obsolete business model for the remaining dollars. Most updates are very expensive, and pure profit for the providers. RDX “quarterly” updates are free, and zero revenue seems to mean zero giving a sh*t.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:51 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Yeah, you're probably right. Personally I wanted to have on-board Nav because I wanted the peace of mind of knowing it's there regardless of cellular connection, and I also wanted to not feel like I had to plug my phone in just to make the car do what I wanted. But I may be a dying breed. I will say that some cars are coming out with Google Maps installed and (presumably) updated OTA and with Google's own traffic data (which seems to be better than Acura's). That may be a trend that pushes things away from CarPlay and AA, at least for Nav.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by platocplx
Got this updated, Biggest issue I had was the USB and if you do have a greater than 32 gig USB you can still use it.

If you go to disk management in windows, go to the USB drive, Delete all Volumes, format, then you Partition the drive into one being over 32 gigs and leave the other side unpartitioned. then it should work. also if not mentioned the updating maps message doesn't persist just pops up once I was confused by that for a while but I drove an hour today and it updated that whole time after only showing once.
As noted by platocplx, when you partition 64gb usb drive, partition to 32gb (it ends up being 31.25 space), then leave the balance unpartitioned. Then format partitioned 32gb portion to FAT32.
This method worked for me. I did the update during a long drive, it took about 45min.
It's also helpful if your usb drive has an LED indicator, which will blink every few seconds that it's uploading.
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Cruisin'

Just adding my anecdotal experience with 2019 Elite (Canadian trim version - equivalent to Advance?). Had no issues downloading update to a 32gb USB 3.0 flash drive.
I tried installing update by plugging in USB before turning car on - would not recognize it. So I took out USB and restarted the system. Once infotainment was up and running, plugged in USB and it recognized the update and began to load - same behaviour as other users reported above. I drove the car around for about 45 minutes while listening to SiriusXM and putting NAV on screen - each time I switched main screen to another function and switched back to NAV the popup said that it was still updating. Never got the message that it was completed, but after a few minutes a message popped up saying the update was NOT completed. I figured I had to try again. When I got home, left car in garage, pressed start twice without foot on brake pedal - turned off headlights, heated seats and audio. Put USB back in and update started. Returned 60 minutes later and message was waiting for me that update was complete. Restarted the car and NAV shows the 2019.07 map version now.

Agree that installation instructions could be better, but what I would really like is some indication of how far along the installation is while in progress - especially if you expect it will take 45+ minutes while driving and you aren't sure if it will continue if you have to turn the car off along the way.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
OK, I am late to the game here.....was distracted during the holiday season. I did the map update today. It was mostly a piece of cake. I went to the map site, downloaded and installed the program they required. Then download the map. That part was slow! I put in a 32gig memory stick and went off to walk my dogs and have dinner. After dinner it was done so I did the car part. The process is not complex but it does like things done a certain way I guess. Instructions are not 100% clear but they are not complex. I turned on the car to the "accessory" position, not "On". Plugged in the memory stick and it started flashing. There was one step where the car put something on the memory stick and then told me to go to a computer and download the maps. I assume that the "correct" way to do this job was to FIRST put the blank memory stick into the car and go to the map update in the car. Again, just guessing, the vehicle puts its data on the stick first then expects you to go download the maps. Not getting too excited I just unplugged the memory stick, turned off the car and then turned the car back on to the "accessory" position and inserted the memory stick. It started the download automatically and told me it was updating. The vehicle will tell you to leave the stick in until the process is done but it does not tell you anything about progress. I put the window down on the car, left the key lying on the seat and left the car while I did other things. I could tell it was "working" as the light on the memory stick's little LED would flash every few seconds. I went about doing other things and came back later, maybe an hour or so, don't recall, and there was a message on the screen informing me the new map was loaded. I turned off the car, turned it back on and the new map was there waiting for me.
All in all I can't say I think this is a very difficult process. Like all computer programing it has its quirks. I recall updating other GPS systems and this one was no harder and even easier than some. The maps see OK, I noted it showed some newer streets in my area. As I travel I will learn what else it added or changed.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:37 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Does anyone know what got updated? I did the update but don’t notice any difference. The Nav system still pretty much sucks.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
Does anyone know what got updated? I did the update but don’t notice any difference. The Nav system still pretty much sucks.
Yes, the map.
DrWoo (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Drifting

The car: “You have arrived.”
Me, looking around: “No, I haven’t.”
TheLevelOne (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM
-- Instructor --

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The car: “You have arrived.”
Me, looking around: “No, I haven’t.”
Hahahahaha!

Sadly, I knew the update really worked when it announced my crossing of the Mario M. Cuomo bridge. It will aways be the TZ in my heart.

Regards ----------------
Old 01-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by TheLevelOne
Hahahahaha!

Sadly, I knew the update really worked when it announced my crossing of the Mario M. Cuomo bridge. It will aways be the TZ in my heart.

Regards ----------------
My grandparents used to say shit like "Take the IRT to the BMT and get off at Boro Hall." ... Uh, what the fuck train is that, again?
TheLevelOne (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
My grandparents used to say shit like "Take the IRT to the BMT and get off at Boro Hall." ... Uh, what the fuck train is that, again?
IRT is the Independent Rapid Transit line, and is the line with the numbers. The 1 line down Broadway, the 4 and the 5 through Grand Central, etc.,
the BMT is the Brooklyn Manhattan line, the N, the Q, etc.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
While I do like my RDX the choice of the GPS was less than perfect. That matter has been covered may times in other threads so let that dog lie for now. I have adapted to the GPS and make good use of it. When we travel and do a complex or long drive my wife occupies herself with a Garmin and with Google maps. She is a great navigator having honed her skills while sitting in the right seat with maps and a GPS in her lap helping when we use to fly. We joke about how we will reference the vehicle GPS, the Garmin and Google maps when we travel. If there is any doubt about a route we will go with "The best two out of three" choices, hoping of course that two of the GPS's will agree! There are times when none of them will agree! Having used GPS since we first started using then in aviation and spending years with them in the wild and on the road I have learned that every GPS maker takes a different approach to how they use and display data. My wife was a mainframe system programmer and always points out that all GPS makers use the same basic maps and the same GPS satellite data, its all in how they program their units to translate this into data the user receives and goes by. Pile on top of this the fact that we humans all see things in a different way and the issues grows. No GPS I have ever seen pleases everyone, including this car. I did like the Garmin in my '17 CRV but then it was the same Garmin I had been using for years and I was well adapted to how it displayed data and operated. I think the Garmin is likely the best compromise on the market but then others have their favorites.
This GPS will never please everyone nor will it even please the people who like it 100%. Its a compromise. I love that I can look up a spot on my phone or tablet and then send it to the GPS in my car. I like that I can talk to it (other GPS's have this also so its not unique). I like how it will put in the waypoints and ask me if I want them before or after the original destination. There are many more things I like after using it for a time. Fact is in a perfect world I would blend its good points and the best of the Garmin's tricks and put that into a GPS and I would have a great system. But, that isn't going to happen...so I make the best of it. I am thrilled that my wife is sitting there with two other systems and a paper map entertaining herself plotting out the best routes. It keeps her active mind occupied and gives us something to do while traveling. Of course the problem there is that sometimes she is not with me! But, I make do solo when I have to. Besides, I can always plug my phone into it and use Android Auto. I have options.
BTW: We had a rental GM SUV once and the GPS in it was so illogical no one could figure out that POS. And then there was a rental Mitsubishi we got once and the GPS only gave you your latitude and longitude. WTF! I guess you had to buy an upgrade to make it actually show you a map and where you were!
There just aren't any perfect GPS's it seems.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:45 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my usb's fomat shows fat32 in windows and i was successfully able to dowload the software to the drive, then stepped into the and tried both the usb ports in my car...none recognized the usb drive...no message nothing on the screen....

my usb drive has other files...could this be the reason?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:50 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by royalrock
my usb's fomat shows fat32 in windows and i was successfully able to dowload the software to the drive, then stepped into the and tried both the usb ports in my car...none recognized the usb drive...no message nothing on the screen....

my usb drive has other files...could this be the reason?
of course, I did start my car...how to put it in accessory mode? Do I need to put in accessroy mode even after starting the car?

Quick Reply: Map Update is "live"