Is it just me that likes the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I think I remember liking how this car drives. But I don’t drive it much in these times. Certainly not to actually go anywhere. My daughter doesn’t even want me to shop for food. “Dad, I’m in the store anyway, just give me the list.” I haven’t put gas in the car since I don’t know when; they tell me prices have come down. Who cares? I can’t spend what I have now.

I hope things get better when we are finally through the looking glass, but I am not so sure.
I took the thing home two months ago and I'm showing a bit over 700mi -- 130 of which were transfer miles in a dealer trade. So I think I like it 🤔. I've had only a few normal days of ownership and that's not a lot of basis for a final decision. One of the longest drives was after washing when I drove around a half hour to, you know, dry the brakes.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (04-12-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
So after 6 months and 11,000 miles in my 2020 RDX Advance SH-AWD, I decided to review it (again) against all the other SUVs I was looking at to replace my 2011 Subaru Outback. It was a long list:
Audi Q3/Q5,
BMW X1/X3,
Honda CRV/Passport
Lexus NX300/RX350
Mazda CX5/CX9
Merceces GLC
Subaru Outback/Ascent
Toyota RAV4
Volvo V60/XC40/XC60

At the end of it all, if something were to happen to my RDX and I needed to replace it this week, I would buy the exact same model I am currently driving. So, while it may not be perfect, I still prefer it to any of the vehicles above and would buy it again in a second. The only suv I would look a bit harder at is the Mazda CX-5. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't as comfortable to sit in, and felt too small.

I really do love my RDX, and look forward to every day I get to drive it.

JB in AZ (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:50 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Cuzz
So after 6 months and 11,000 miles in my 2020 RDX Advance SH-AWD, I decided to review it (again) against all the other SUVs I was looking at to replace my 2011 Subaru Outback. It was a long list:
Audi Q3/Q5,
BMW X1/X3,
Honda CRV/Passport
Lexus NX300/RX350
Mazda CX5/CX9
Merceces GLC
Subaru Outback/Ascent
Toyota RAV4
Volvo V60/XC40/XC60

At the end of it all, if something were to happen to my RDX and I needed to replace it this week, I would buy the exact same model I am currently driving. So, while it may not be perfect, I still prefer it to any of the vehicles above and would buy it again in a second. The only suv I would look a bit harder at is the Mazda CX-5. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't as comfortable to sit in, and felt too small.

I really do love my RDX, and look forward to every day I get to drive it.
Except for a few considerations that had a CVT transmission, we overlap in most ways. If Mazda still had a CX-7 sized model, that might have been just about a tie at the end. (The V60 was close too, but historic reliability was a hole too deep)

I just read a short article about the structural strength of the RDX and I'm even more pleased with my final choice.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
Alex on Autos top 3 picks in this segment are RDX, GLC, and XC60. The 2020 GLC knocked the Stelvio out which was his previous choice for a fun SUV. The RDX is the value pick.
acuraada (05-16-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I’m not the kind of guy who looks back on prior decisions.

My best alternative, the X3, did not have available the driving aids I wanted, so I never did the cost/difference analysis. There were no X3s with the driving aids, the BMW boards said they were in a supply problem, and I would have had to order a new X3 in the middle of model changeover. So no dice.

When I saw what the prices would be for the available competition fitted out the way I wanted it, the decision was made.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With me, it came down to XC60 or RDX. Different cars but both nice. The XC60 we were considering was about 10K more than RDX, but you can always justify that somehow. The sticking point was the XC60s imported here were assembled in China. That was to change in 2020 but I didn't want to wait. I could not see sending tens of thousands more to China. We have been happy with our choice.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Threeturbo
With me, it came down to XC60 or RDX. Different cars but both nice. The XC60 we were considering was about 10K more than RDX, but you can always justify that somehow. The sticking point was the XC60s imported here were assembled in China. That was to change in 2020 but I didn't want to wait. I could not see sending tens of thousands more to China. We have been happy with our choice.
I get that.

And this has nothing to do with the virus, but I have worked hard on trying to avoid things made in China. My New Balance sneakers are made in America, my Lands End polo shirts are made in Peru, I think, or that other skinny country down there. I absolutely won’t buy any food that comes from anywhere in Asia. When I shop, I always look at the labels. If China is shown, I always look for an alternative if possible. It is not always possible, but I do try.

When it comes to food, I have a hard ‘no’ against all of Asia. I would trust Japan, but have never seen food from there.

And all of this is well before the virus.
EFR (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I get that.

And this has nothing to do with the virus, but I have worked hard on trying to avoid things made in China.
Yes, our RDX purchase was made long before the virus was a thing. BTW, your discipline of trying to avoid Chinese products is commendable. We should all do better in that area. (Sorry for carrying this further off course.)
EFR (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love mine. I've had it for over 2 months and only driven it 200 kms because of the Covid quarantine were I live (Panama). I'm coming from an Audi S8, so I miss the torque and speed, but everytime something broke on the Audi it cost THOUSANDS, so Im pretty happy to have a car I would consider to be very reliable. The dealership is good as well, unfortunately it hasnt received the latest headunit update so I don't have Android auto or Apple Car Play.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:56 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by lacayoj
I love mine. I've had it for over 2 months and only driven it 200 kms because of the Covid quarantine were I live (Panama). I'm coming from an Audi S8, so I miss the torque and speed, but everytime something broke on the Audi it cost THOUSANDS, so Im pretty happy to have a car I would consider to be very reliable. The dealership is good as well, unfortunately it hasnt received the latest headunit update so I don't have Android auto or Apple Car Play.
AA and AP are over air downloads.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
AA and AP are over air downloads.
The downloads may not be available where the OP lives, Panama.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
What's the main driver for not buying China? This is a reoccurring theme here in America.

I recall in the '80s we had a Made in America campaign, That quickly went away with "$5 everything" at Walmart... and certainly didn't held up in the auto industry. But really the main reason is that none of that make any economic sense at the macro or micro level.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:33 PM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
What's the main driver for not buying China? This is a reoccurring theme here in America.

I recall in the '80s we had a Made in America campaign, That quickly went away with "$5 everything" at Walmart... and certainly didn't held up in the auto industry. But really the main reason is that none of that make any economic sense at the macro or micro level.
The Times They are A changin
Old 05-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Drifting

For me, I don’t trust the cleanliness of food coming out of Asia at all. That is food.

For other things, if I can buy American, I do. We bought a washer/dryer this year. We could have bought anything, but Whirlpool is made in America, so we went with that. American jobs, American taxpayers, American families helped.

Both of my Japanese branded cars are assembled in America. It would take quite a bit to send all that money over to China.

China is not a friend and ally. To me, they are not an enemy, but they are still not allies.
DJA123 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Your Whirlpool might be assembled here in the US but I'm pretty sure all the parts are came from China, otherwise you probably couldn't afford it.

That glass on our Acura is probably made by a Chinese vendor, maybe produced here in the US, never the less by a Chinese owned company. (This includes Ford, GM....)

China's got a chip on it's shoulder. The rest of the world took advantage of it's cheap land, taxes and labor. China ate all of that up for the money and sacrificed its own environment in doing so.

When there is a demand for cheap goods, supply will find it's way. Check out a book call "A Year Without Made in China." Really gives you a board perspective.

Last edited by acuraada; 05-16-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Drifting

Your Whirlpool might be assembled here in the US but I'm pretty sure all the parts are came from China, otherwise you probably couldn't afford it.

That glass on our Acura is probably made by a Chinese vendor, maybe produced here in the US, never the less by a Chinese owned company. (This includes Ford, GM....)

China's got a chip on it's shoulder. The rest of the world took advantage of it's cheap land, taxes and labor. China ate all of that up for the money and sacrificed its own environment in doing so.

When there is a demand for cheap goods, supply will find it's way. Check out a book call "A Year Without Made in China." Really gives you a board perspective.

I don’t doubt what you say, but I do what I can. I understand that much of the money I spend on my Acura works its way back to Japan, but being assembled in America means jobs here. So if I can help that with a little effort and (maybe) some extra dollars, I do.

And I am not a MAGA person at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Funz51 (05-17-2020), Mark-RDX (06-03-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Drifting

I am extremely happy with my '19 Advance. 16 months and over 18,000 miles, later, I would definitely buy it again, without hesitation, considering the price point, and the competition available at this time. I got used to the touch pad very easily, but now, there is a small part of me that thinks Acura blew it with the touch pad. I realize many of the competition also have varying (non-touchscreen) means to control the infotainment, but Acura's contention that it was done to help keep eyes on the road is just lame. Give me a touch pad next time, please...it is just easier and much more intuitive to use...especially when the touch pad works differently with AA or Car Play. Speaking of AA, I still have some occasional initial connection issues. See my post in the AA thread. Android Auto

As others have said, the large chrome drive mode selector knob is overdone. A simple steering wheel button, or console button would have been fine, cleaning up some more "top of console" space for, perhaps, a wireless charging pad. My wife's new 2020 CR-V Touring has this...
Old 05-19-2020, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm over the large chrome drive mode knob by now. I think it's their signature look like the BMW orange, Lexus's analog clock, MB's jet like round vents, etc. If we were in a Lexus or Infiniti forum, someone would be complaining about the analog clocks too.
Mark-RDX (06-03-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Drifting

I'm over the large chrome drive mode knob by now. I think it's their signature look like the BMW orange, Lexus's analog clock, MB's jet like round vents, etc. If we were in a Lexus or Infiniti forum, someone would be complaining about the analog clocks too.
Excellent points! Signature look...ok, so when we see the next redesigned Acura, presumably the MDX, we'll likely see the chrome drive mode knob and a touch pad. As I said, if I had to buy a replacement for my RDX today, I would buy it again without hesitation. (no pun intended for the folks who are experiencing a hesitation on acceleration from a near stop)
Mark-RDX (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:00 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
I am thrilled. Any issues have been all around operator error! My only complaint is that the front lower scoop that is gray, is paint on plastic. So it is chipped up already from salt and cinders from driving this past winter. That should not happen on a car at this price point.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
A little over 1 mo in, and I love my rdx. My FM radio completely froze on me once and refused to play no matter what I did. Shrugged it off, had to park the car and get out anyway, and when I came back later that night I was able to turn it back on without issues. The car also forgot memory settings for the driver seat once-had to reprogram it (not sure what that was about). Other than that, I've had no issues and am really enjoying the car
Mark-RDX (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Advanced

For me, I don’t trust the cleanliness of food coming out of Asia at all. That is food.

For other things, if I can buy American, I do. We bought a washer/dryer this year. We could have bought anything, but Whirlpool is made in America, so we went with that. American jobs, American taxpayers, American families helped.

Both of my Japanese branded cars are assembled in America. It would take quite a bit to send all that money over to China.

China is not a friend and ally. To me, they are not an enemy, but they are still not allies.

It is really hard to consume without buying whole or in part Chinese products. I do the best I can. The saddest part is the American people have no idea the people in China are tortured and persecuted for their beliefs not in alignment with the leadership. God help them all.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NvmMyY2
I forgot ours are blue exterior black interior, black exterior and red interior. both are A spec Sh awd 2020's heres a picture of them all including my 2003 element 5 speed manaul awd with 203,000 miles. it was my first car when I turned 16.
I sold my Element when I bought my RDX. It really is a great car!
Old 06-03-2020, 01:05 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Acurafangrl
...The car also forgot memory settings for the driver seat once-had to reprogram it (not sure what that was about). Other than that, I've had no issues and am really enjoying the car
Mine just forgot me yesterday for one start. The next start and it remembered me. Those transient events don't bother me much since every other piece of tech I have goes wonky from time to time. That's just the deal. I'm driving more these days -- probably like most people -- and liking it more as I do.