Is it just me that likes the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 05:03 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Love my RDX A-Spec. I think it's the best looking CUV under $50k ... just my opinion of course. It handles amazingly, but it trades off in ride comfort (it's actually pretty shocking how bad the ride is, even in comfort, probably the worst riding one in the segment, honestly). I haven't had a single issue with the infotainment, but I rarely use it *knock on wood*. Connect it to my iPhone for music and I'm basically done with it. On my commutes home (at night), I usually turn the display off. My only other complaints are really just new car complaints. Too many electrical nannies. Overall though, I love the thing ... hopefully gremlins don't start popping up all over the place to change my tune.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:24 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Good to hear I love the ride/handling. It's just that infotainment system...that is the only thumbs-down I give the car....but really, that belongs to Acura.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Good to hear I love the ride/handling. It's just that infotainment system...that is the only thumbs-down I give the car....but really, that belongs to Acura.
Agreed! Infotainment system gets the shit show award.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Love my RDX A-Spec. I think it's the best looking CUV under $50k ... just my opinion of course. It handles amazingly, but it trades off in ride comfort (it's actually pretty shocking how bad the ride is, even in comfort, probably the worst riding one in the segment, honestly). I haven't had a single issue with the infotainment, but I rarely use it *knock on wood*. Connect it to my iPhone for music and I'm basically done with it. On my commutes home (at night), I usually turn the display off. My only other complaints are really just new car complaints. Too many electrical nannies. Overall though, I love the thing ... hopefully gremlins don't start popping up all over the place to change my tune.
Check your tire pressures, as many have reported them at or over 40 PSI from the dealer.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Check your tire pressures, as many have reported them at or over 40 PSI from the dealer.
I checked it while doing an orientation of the car with the salesman with the TPMS. Verified with a mechanical gauge. The ride has softened noticeably after 2.5k miles, but doubt it will any further. It's not "harsh" but the definition of the word, but for being a mass-marketed, "luxury" CUV, I feel it's the poorest in its segment. But, it's a trade-off with how much better it handles comparatively. I actually prefer it, but the other half has commented on it (only after I brought it up). I will say that from the looks of it, Honda is slowly shifting Acura from being a "luxury" brand to a "performance" brand. Mind you, they haven't done a great job with either in the past, but it seems their focus is shifting. I just hope the new Type-S variants have some gusto ... at least match the Germans edging close to 400HP.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 AM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
leomio- with the Aspec there is no Adaptive Damper System (only on the advance) so regardless of mode your ride should be the same. I am sure the 20's aren't helping the ride quality either. I wish they'd made the Aspec option in conjunction with the Advance package.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
leomio- with the Aspec there is no Adaptive Damper System (only on the advance) so regardless of mode your ride should be the same. I am sure the 20's aren't helping the ride quality either. I wish they'd made the Aspec option in conjunction with the Advance package.
I really like the firmness in the Aspec, and keep my pressures at 40. I didn't buy the vehicle to be soft. You want a hard ride, try out the MB C300 with the AMG 'show package'. The RDX is soft compared. Why would you want a soft ride on a performance oriented semi-lux vehicle?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I don’t know about the RDX but I can say I hate the layout of this forum... from the endless across threads to the disappearing navigation bars and headers. This forum is one of the worst user experiences that can be had out of any forum I visit.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Very pleased with my 2019 AWD Aspec black/black purchase. I've had zero issues, no complaints and it is light years more advanced than my 2015 awd tech (which I kept as a spare vehicle and never had a single problem with)

The infotainment system takes some getting used to initially but now 3 months later it's become second nature. The Nav is much better than the older models too.

I get a lot of compliments on the car from folks at stores, lots, gas, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wavshrdr
Yea, it's likely a placebo effect. I've seen that only the Advanced package has the adaptive dampers, but I swear, the ride becomes just a touch harsher with Sport. I keep telling myself it's all in my head, but I still feel like the car is more easily disrupted over road imperfections, along with being more audible in the cabin. But, everyone including the manufacturer say it makes no change in the suspension, so I guess I'm just a dummy who can't shake it from my mind, lol.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I Feel You!

Originally Posted by leomio85
Yea, it's likely a placebo effect. I've seen that only the Advanced package has the adaptive dampers, but I swear, the ride becomes just a touch harsher with Sport. I keep telling myself it's all in my head, but I still feel like the car is more easily disrupted over road imperfections, along with being more audible in the cabin. But, everyone including the manufacturer say it makes no change in the suspension, so I guess I'm just a dummy who can't shake it from my mind, lol.
I know how you feel. I always have mine on Comfort. Sport is too sport for me! The piped in engine sounds, aggressive transmission with too many gears to decide, and accelerates too aggressively. I just leave mine at Comfort.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Harder isn't necessarily better when it comes to suspension. I want well controlled, compliant suspension. I remember too well from my youth cars with stiff suspension and a live axle that would hit a bump mid turn at high speed and just hop a few feet sideways. It would scare the hell out of me. Then when I finally had the money and bought a car with independent rear suspension that actually had some clue about control, it was a total game changer for me especially on roads that were pretty chewed up.

Even living in Florida I am still over the hard=good, at least when it comes to suspension. Probably the reason I ride and adventure touring bike 99% of the time rather than my hyper performance sport bike. The ADV is still damn fast but it just soaks up bumps like they don't exist.

The RDX even in comfort mode isn't what I'd call soft or plush anyway. I would love to see a comparison of how the suspension modes actually compare to the non adjustable RDX stock mode. Are the springs the same? How much range of adjustment and more.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by IM542
Very pleased with my 2019 AWD Aspec black/black purchase. I've had zero issues, no complaints and it is light years more advanced than my 2015 awd tech (which I kept as a spare vehicle and never had a single problem with)

The infotainment system takes some getting used to initially but now 3 months later it's become second nature. The Nav is much better than the older models too.

I get a lot of compliments on the car from folks at stores, lots, gas, etc.
The sh-awd does get more aggressive and changes how to functions when your in the sport and sport+ mode, so you could be noticing different performance just from that which would make the suspension feel slightly different from how the power is being delivered
Old 03-15-2020, 10:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is wow, my wife and I drove a Santa Fe 2020 limited and the RDX tech package and the MDX tech package.

The Santa Fe for the price point value what you’re getting is incredible, the fit and finish and the driving performance was awesome.

it’s something about when you get into the RDX or MDX the feel is different. The Acura just felt more of a solid nicer premium drive ....to us anyway.

so we are waiting patiently, going on weekends to dealerships and just having fun during the hunt😎
Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my first rdx aspec since November and I absolutely love it and cant stop driving it. there hasn't been any issues with her yet. We loved our first rdx so much we bought another aspec yesterday.
russianDude (03-16-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by NvmMyY2
I've had my first rdx aspec since November and I absolutely love it and cant stop driving it. there hasn't been any issues with her yet. We loved our first rdx so much we bought another aspec yesterday.
What are their colors?

Curious -- did you try any others like the XC60 or the 2020 GLC300? A spec is a bit unique in its trim, but what about things like engine performance, seat comfort, and cabin noise?
Old 03-20-2020, 08:32 AM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I really love driving ours. Same color combo as yours. I've noticed it looks better when its rolling. [i look at it when my wife rolls off to work]

I'm mostly excited about trading it in for the future type S version, which i will probably love.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Its a mix feeling for me on this RDX, sometimes it feels good to drive but sometimes it feels sluggish. Not really sold with this RDX, Im still waiting for the new MDX to come out and we will see.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:53 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Sometimes, the complaints aren't even from actual owners (at least that's how it is in the Facebook groups). They're owners of competing models, trolling out of boredom.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by anoop
What are their colors?

Curious -- did you try any others like the XC60 or the 2020 GLC300? A spec is a bit unique in its trim, but what about things like engine performance, seat comfort, and cabin noise?
I'm mainly just a Honda Acura guy, my dad worked for Honda for 36 years and retired. We did have some Jeeps a little while ago but came back to Acura. we didnt try and other brands besides going from a Mdx to the rdx. we love the engine performance, the seats are comfy to us and we dont hear much cabin noise.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

I forgot ours are blue exterior black interior, black exterior and red interior. both are A spec Sh awd 2020's heres a picture of them all including my 2003 element 5 speed manaul awd with 203,000 miles. it was my first car when I turned 16.

The following 3 users liked this post by NvmMyY2:
JB in AZ (04-01-2020), Mark-RDX (06-03-2020), Pens Fan (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
So far I like the car (Advance) very much. I got it just before the virus shut us down and haven't really driven much. My pros/cons in limited use:

Pros
  • Engine performance (exc efficiency)
  • Quiet
  • Tech/infotainment (yes, I said it)
  • Sound system
  • Seating comfort
  • Design (interior/exterior)
  • Headlight performance
  • Value

Cons
  • Fuel efficiency (should 'a had a V6)
  • Transmission not always smooth
  • Advance wheel design
  • Steering wheel off center problem
  • Rear visibility
  • No folding mirrors (US)
  • Beep, not horn for lock confirm

The pros are much more significant to me than the cons. And, with the exception of my unique steering wheel thing, I knew all the cons going in. Well, not the weak beeper for locking confirmation... Why not just use the horn??

I also wish Acura had more A la cart options for the RDX, but I digress.

Yes, I like it too.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
We bought a 2020 Advance SH-AWD in early February and have been extremely pleased with it. Responsive, fun to drive, comfortable, upscale, nice tech, a great audio system, and no problems.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I think that many people like many things about the RDX. I just think that some of the same issues still have not been fixed and that is increasing the frustration. Just look at the Problems and Fixes tab and you will see new owners experiencing the same issues as early adopters.

I love how the RDX looks, drives and handles but ultimately I grew impatient with the infotainment bugs and some of the minor issues that bothered me during my many test drives. I know that no car is perfect but for me the negatives added up and I finally started looking elsewhere. In addition my local dealers were not willing to offer any discounts near what other members were seeing in other areas. Discounts from other manufacturers in my area were more appealing.

Hope to return to Acura someday....maybe when the TLX Type S prototype is released without being neutered too badly.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:24 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RCJD
Its a mix feeling for me on this RDX, sometimes it feels good to drive but sometimes it feels sluggish. Not really sold with this RDX, Im still waiting for the new MDX to come out and we will see.
answer is.... Ktuner
Old 04-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I just got mine (2020 RDX SH-AWD TECH) at the end of February, so I've had it about a month. So far I am loving it! (*knock on wood) It's a fun vehicle to drive.

I perused this forum a lot before purchasing and after reading the many 'negatives', it almost made me change my mind......I'm so glad I didn't.
JB in AZ (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Consultantmom
I just got mine (2020 RDX SH-AWD TECH) at the end of February, so I've had it about a month. So far I am loving it! (*knock on wood) It's a fun vehicle to drive.

I perused this forum a lot before purchasing and after reading the many 'negatives', it almost made me change my mind......I'm so glad I didn't.
We are also, and we are glad that you are here and active now!
Old 04-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
We are also, and we are glad that you are here and active now!
Thank you! I look forward to learning a lot more about my new vehicle here.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Consultantmom

I had the same thoughts before I bought my 2020 RDX last summer. When I got it, I was amazed that the car was so good after all the problems the '19 owners complained about. It seems like Acura silently fixed almost all the problems overnight between 2019 and 2020. Not perfect yet but very good.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Threeturbo
I had the same thoughts before I bought my 2020 RDX last summer. When I got it, I was amazed that the car was so good after all the problems the '19 owners complained about. It seems like Acura silently fixed almost all the problems overnight between 2019 and 2020. Not perfect yet but very good.
I sure hope so! The last thing I want to do is be at my dealership's service department every month.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Love my '19 Advance.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarineOne:
Consultantmom (04-09-2020), TheLevelOne (04-09-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 06:10 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
I have had my 2020 A-Spec for 5 months. The only issue I’ve had is squeaky brakes which Acura replaced under warranty. The infotainment system has never crashed and I use Apple Car Play all the time. The car is not perfect but it offers great bang for the buck. I did receive .9 percent financing when I bought the car. My only real issue with Acura is they need to offer the A-Spec package on the Advance models. This was a huge mistake on Acura’s part. My last complaint is they needed a larger fuel tank!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:21 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Packagingpro
I have had my 2020 A-Spec for 5 months. The only issue I’ve had is squeaky brakes which Acura replaced under warranty. The infotainment system has never crashed and I use Apple Car Play all the time. The car is not perfect but it offers great bang for the buck. I did receive .9 percent financing when I bought the car. My only real issue with Acura is they need to offer the A-Spec package on the Advance models. This was a huge mistake on Acura’s part. My last complaint is they needed a larger fuel tank!
Agree on the fuel tank. If the fuel mileage made up for the size of the tank then not an issue, but the MPG is nothing great, and that tank is not that big, so road trips (AKA Reno fo Vegas) require a pit stop that my BMW didn't. In fact our 2008 528 got better MPG than this Acura does, and a decently bigger tank so that trip from Reno to LV was nonstop. Now, if they could just get electric cars to make that same trip nonstop I would be in for a Tesla....or whatever.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
....it offers great bang for the buck....
...they need to offer the A-Spec package on the Advance models. This was a huge mistake on Acura’s part....
I absolutely agree and wish I could have made my Advance look like an A-Spec, but...

I'm not close enough to this to speak with certainty, but I believe this is a cause and effect relationship, at least in part.

Having a la cart options requires more manufacturing flexibility and infrastructure for each specific model. This additional manufacturing complexity is expensive. I believe one of the ways Honda kept cost down for the RDX was by limiting options to just a few predetermined packages that are easier, and cheaper, to build.

Many of us did cost comparisons to German/European brands and found those comparably equipped models to be thousands of dollars more. The German manufacturers in particular give you a tremendous variety of individual, and expensive, options. This has the end result of a higher final cost for a similar feature set. There are many other variables that impact price to be sure, but lots of buyer variety comes with a cost.

Still, it would have been nice to have more individual options to cross-pollinate between A-Spec and Advance.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
I absolutely agree and wish I could have made my Advance look like an A-Spec, but...

I'm not close enough to this to speak with certainty, but I believe this is a cause and effect relationship, at least in part.

Having a la cart options requires more manufacturing flexibility and infrastructure for each specific model. This additional manufacturing complexity is expensive. I believe one of the ways Honda kept cost down for the RDX was by limiting options to just a few predetermined packages that are easier, and cheaper, to build.

Many of us did cost comparisons to German/European brands and found those comparably equipped models to be thousands of dollars more. The German manufacturers in particular give you a tremendous variety of individual, and expensive, options. This has the end result of a higher final cost for a similar feature set. There are many other variables that impact price to be sure, but lots of buyer variety comes with a cost.

Still, it would have been nice to have more individual options to cross-pollinate between A-Spec and Advance.
What’s interesting is they can build an Advance with Aspec version as that is what the PMC edition is.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:37 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
What’s interesting is they can build an Advance with Aspec version as that is what the PMC edition is.
PMC models are custom built in a very limited number (<400). That's a halo build vs. a high volume production model. Different rules to that game.

Last edited by DJA123; 04-10-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Agree on the fuel tank. If the fuel mileage made up for the size of the tank then not an issue, but the MPG is nothing great, and that tank is not that big, so road trips (AKA Reno fo Vegas) require a pit stop that my BMW didn't. In fact our 2008 528 got better MPG than this Acura does, and a decently bigger tank so that trip from Reno to LV was nonstop. Now, if they could just get electric cars to make that same trip nonstop I would be in for a Tesla....or whatever.
My 2008 535 got better gas mileage as well. Plus the bigger tank.

OTOH, being that much older, I need the more frequent pit stops on long trips anyway.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
If they only want to sell four trims, I feel like they should just ditch the base model and have Tech>Aspec>Advance>Aspec Advance. Who is buying non-tech equipped RDXs? How many people who bought A-specs or Advances had to argue with themselves about it?
Old 04-12-2020, 08:44 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
...How many people who bought A-specs or Advances had to argue with themselves about it?
Yes, but I hope Acura is focused on the possibility that buyers didn't like either choice as offered and went somewhere else.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
I think I remember liking how this car drives. But I don’t drive it much in these times. Certainly not to actually go anywhere. My daughter doesn’t even want me to shop for food. “Dad, I’m in the store anyway, just give me the list.” I haven’t put gas in the car since I don’t know when; they tell me prices have come down. Who cares? I can’t spend what I have now.

I hope things get better when we are finally through the looking glass, but I am not so sure.

Quick Reply: Is it just me that likes the RDX?