Anyone compare RDX to GV70?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
Rather than Continuous Improvement, they seem to hold things back and incorporate them all at once. Very different from a VWAG car, for example.
Yes and then spend the next several years working out the bugs.
The following users liked this post:
Ih8honda (10-28-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
The hype is real

I have a friend whose lease on her QX-whateverItIsNow was ending and had short-listed the RDX, X3 and XC60 as the next options.

She reached out to me about my experiences with the RDX - I told her plainly it was a fun car to drive, I expect it to be reliable for years, and on paper is a better value than the other models she was looking at. That said, if my RDX were totaled today, it would not be on my list of replacements. When taking into account the rattling noises at the HUD (4/5 trips to dealer - still not resolved), the rattling at the front pillars, as well as the sunroof, the brake noise and its mushy feel, the mini-typeface used in the dash as well the overall dated feeling in the car compared to other 2021-2022 models out there - it just can't compete as a luxury model. Told her if she were looking for something reliable with long term ownership in mind - the RDX should be on top of her list given that all the analog stuff would reduce problems in the future. For a lease - an RDX just didn't make sense. Told her to check out the GV70 instead, although she hadn't heard of that model when we talked (she was familiar with the Genesis brand).

One week later, my phone is ringing with several text messages. It's her sending me images of the GV70 she picked up. Apparently her and her husband tested it and immediately fell in love after driving it. She agreed that the drive didn't compare to the X3 - but, in her words "our A5 coupe is the fun car", so it didn't matter.

Since then I've been able to ride it and test all the stuff out - being in that car feels like it's (AT LEAST) $20k more than the RDX. The interior is crazy quiet and plush, the tech is nuts, and the overall look (albeit a copy-cat Porsche) shines without flaunting (a feature I do like about the RDX as well). There was a drive where some message came up with the fingerprint reader that was resolved by turning the car on and off - so yes, the tech is still being worked out. But guess what, I too had an issue with the RDX giving me messages about the AWD that needed me to turn the car on and off to clear. That's been resolved, and I'm sure it too will be resolved in the GV70.

But yeah - the GV70 is definitely going to be taking customers away from the RDX. I know those customers - they're my friends.

Last edited by edu8rdo; 10-21-2021 at 01:52 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by edu8rdo:
ESHBG (10-22-2021), FactoryMatt (10-21-2021), hand-filer (10-21-2021), SebringSilver (10-22-2021), sonyfever (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
it's definitely the better appliance, other than storage space. as a mainstream lifestyle car to "non-car-people", they executed extremely well. even with car people, it's still hard to beat as a DD i'm sure.

I know Acura is trying, but you make some very very valid points re quality of life headaches that just don't belong in an Acura.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
If Genesis can figure out how to set up a top tier dealership experience, they might do to Acura what Audi did to Acura 10 years ago.
Fast16 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
finally checked out the GV70 in person. it's extremely impressive in alot of ways, but ultimately i'm still going RDX.

the interior really is top notch. its almost TOO nice. I like the utility and cockpit feel of the RDX, but the attention to detail and elegance of the GV70 is truly out of this world. It puts the Q5 to absolute shame and really is a nicer place to be than the X3. the Infotainment UI is like straight out of a BMW lol. its nice, but almost too complicated? idk, not that experienced with high-tech-content cars really.

i never realized its a longitudinal ("RWD based") layout. even the 4 banger. and the materials are pretty impressive. Extruded aluminum braces in the engine bay and even an aluminum steering rack lower shaft. i wish you could get the fixed piston calipers on the 4 banger, but alas.

ultimately, the car is just too long for us (113 WB versus 108 WB for RDX) while simultaneously offering less rear storage space. its a little too much of an SUV coupe in that way. i want short and boxy rather than long and chopped.

and the last thing that seals it (without driving it yet, admittedly) is that even Doug Demuro says the handling is a little sluggish, that you feel the weight transfer. Even compared to the X3, which IMO, is a very low bar.

soo, veryyyy nice car. Amazing execution. Juuust doesn't have the utility of the RDX or that 'feel' that you get with Honda's best products.
Why didn't you test drive it? It's like looking at a beautiful cake without tasting it, you don't know how good/bad it is.
I don't give much credit to Doug, he is more exotic, it's entertaining to watch but not that informativ. I like more Alex on Autos or Redline, or even Savage Geese is more technical savvy.
GV70 can't compete with RDX at the utility chapter, being RWD biased, but it's not its mission.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:56 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Being the only one on this thread who has actually owned both the RDX and the GV70 (2 GV70s in fact), I can tell you the reason I ditched the RDX was not because its technology had become obsolete. It was underpowered, had a fussy transmission, rattled quite a bit, had a lot of cheap materials in its cabin, and had many deficiencies which though covered under warranty, made me think I was driving a Range Rover again. Its good looks and competent handling wasn’t enough to save it.

The GV70 on the other hand goes like stink when I want it to, has all the luxury I want, handles very well in street use, and looks absolutely stunning. The technology that comes with it, whether it be infotainment, driver assistance systems, or safety measures, were important but not the reason I bought the car. You could put the same tech in another car but if it still drives poorly, I wouldn’t buy it.
Sebring, what engine, or engines did you get. The GV70 is on our list for when we pull the plug at the end of this year, or next (although I am liking what Acura did with the 2022 updates and upgrades.) But, it seems like a little bit of stretch in price (mostly north of 60K) when you get the V6. I personally find the RDX plenty powerful enough (more is always better of course). Did the 2.5 GV feel powerful enough....equivalent to the RDX? One thing I need to confirm on the GV is at what point cooled/heated seats available. Being in Vegas now, the cooling part has taken a new level of importance.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickRDX
Why didn't you test drive it? It's like looking at a beautiful cake without tasting it, you don't know how good/bad it is.
I don't give much credit to Doug, he is more exotic, it's entertaining to watch but not that informativ. I like more Alex on Autos or Redline, or even Savage Geese is more technical savvy.
GV70 can't compete with RDX at the utility chapter, being RWD biased, but it's not its mission.
May go back in a couple weeks with the gf to do so. Super congested and busy dealer at the time.

I love savagegeese but he really made no comment other than the tranny being a little laggy and i think it being set up as a luxury DD. no mention of steering or suspension in detail really.

Autoblog says the same as demuro. Looks like it got the BMW genes with their stiff sport steering calib.

Autoblog

Despite the sport sedan genes, however, the GV70 behaves more like its stately big brother, the GV80. It feels quite heavy, and, even when the available adaptive suspension is at its firmest in Sport+ mode, there's a fair bit of body roll. It sure likes to understeer, too, and it's hard to tell from the seat of your pants when you're getting overly ambitious with the throttle coming out of a corner. It won't seem like things are getting spunky, but then the stability control will jerk the seatbelts on you as if disaster is imminent. Excessively cautious nanny tech or excessive isolation? Shrug.

The steering settings also need a rethink. The Sport mode is an unfortunate throwback to the earlier days of adjustable drive settings when extra effort would be added to satisfy the false assumption that stiff equals sporty, only worse. The G70 sedan’s isn't like this, but the GV70’s extra effort simply dulls the sensations transmitted from what is already a less-than-talkative chassis. At least its Custom mode lets you sub in the perfectly acceptable "Comfort" steering while keeping everything else at full habanero, which is an atypical combo to say the least.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Sebring, what engine, or engines did you get. The GV70 is on our list for when we pull the plug at the end of this year, or next (although I am liking what Acura did with the 2022 updates and upgrades.) But, it seems like a little bit of stretch in price (mostly north of 60K) when you get the V6. I personally find the RDX plenty powerful enough (more is always better of course). Did the 2.5 GV feel powerful enough....equivalent to the RDX? One thing I need to confirm on the GV is at what point cooled/heated seats available. Being in Vegas now, the cooling part has taken a new level of importance.
Both of mine are the 3.5T Sport Plus. I haven’t driven the 2.5T at all, unfortunately, so I can’t offer any insight into how it behaves. Most of the included features per spec level is clearly laid out on the website so you shouldn’t have any trouble discerning where you need to be at price point-wise in order to get the features that are important to you. I’m not entirely sure that Acura has an RDX variant that competes with the 3.5T version of the GV70. But you’ll know within 5 minutes of a test drive if the GV70 2.5T is right for you or not.

Edit: I should add that the cooled seats in the GV70 are far far better than the “cooling” you get on the RDX if you can even feel it. In the three years I drove the RDX, I honestly could not feel any sense of cooling on even the hottest day.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 10-21-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

May go back in a couple weeks with the gf to do so. Super congested and busy dealer at the time.

I love savagegeese but he really made no comment other than the tranny being a little laggy and i think it being set up as a luxury DD. no mention of steering or suspension in detail really.

Autoblog says the same as demuro. Looks like it got the BMW genes with their stiff sport steering calib.

Autoblog
I wouldn’t rely on any of these reviews to help me determine if I like the car or not. Just drive it yourself. You are the best judge for what works or doesn’t work for you.
RickRDX (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 08:51 PM
Instructor

I wouldn’t rely on any of these reviews to help me determine if I like the car or not. Just drive it yourself. You are the best judge for what works or doesn’t work for you.
that's how i ended up on the RDX over the GLB and X3 M40
Old 10-21-2021, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Smile

Edit: I should add that the cooled seats in the GV70 are far far better than the “cooling” you get on the RDX if you can even feel it. In the three years I drove the RDX, I honestly could not feel any sense of cooling on even the hottest day.
WOW...we must have gotten different RDX's. First time my wife (who is numb to anything about a car) rode in the RDX on a hot day she turned around and looked back at the seat she was on. "Wow, my seat is COLD!" Fact is her "cold" seat is one of the features she loved about the RDX.

As for quality control issues, rattles, etc., in two plus years our late production '19 RDX has never had any of those issues. Sometimes when I read some of the comments here trashing the RDX I think people must have gotten a different car than I did. I will run into RDX owners while out and about and they rave about how much they love their cars. But then, maybe their last car was an Yugo or something, maybe even one of this Kia things.
People have different expectations. We also people will make decisions by emotions and then try to rationalize those feelings. Hey, if you don't like your RDX trade it off and get what you do like! We love ours and will have it for some years to come. :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
FactoryMatt (10-21-2021), pilozm (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Yeah my vote is also on GV70, definitely give it a go. Similarly priced, you get cutting edge tech, smoother powertrain and everything else. I also like the storage/space of my RDX, but the competitiors have moved on and left RDX behind in other areas. Especially on technology, RDX is pretty outdated. I checked the MMC RDX electric wiring diagram, and can see most of the control units are similar to pre-MMC ones. The only blessing of sticking with old tech is Acura seem to have no problems making RDX in decent quantity.

I want to believe that Acura will need to play the value card against NX and GV70 to keep the momentum, but maybe the part shortage will help Acura in this case.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The GV70 is definitely a huge step forward for Genesis. Is it perfect. Off course not. But the gap is much closer than before.
Just checked the Canadian pricing for leasing a GV70 and here is what sticks out. The residual is very low, meaning that the buyer will have to pay for roughly 70% of the cost during a 4 year lease. Hyundai does not believe they will hold their value after the lease runs out and is taking the safe approach. To ease the pain they are including a free maintenance plan along with other goodies such as car pick up and drop off at your home, including a replacement vehicle.

The other thing I am not keen on is that the 3 spoke steering wheel is available only on the top 2.5t sport trim. Others you are holding a 1990 Oldsmobile steering wheel in your hands. Big mistake in my view but can be easily fixed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Byer2021:
Fast16 (10-22-2021), pilozm (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 08:40 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Right now we have about 6 cars on our 'test drive' list. The top in 2 in my mind are the new GV and the newish 2022 RDX (PMC), NX in third and Corsair, Sorento and GLB rounding the list out.. The comment about the cooled seats...this is the first car I have ever had that had them, so for me, I am thrilled. Many on this board have mentioned that there are 'cooled' (RDX) and 'air-conditioned' seats. The AC seats supposedly leave the 'cooled' in the dust....anxious to try them some day to see/feel the difference. I'm not sure the manufacturer denotes the difference in seat cooling. I do note the GV and RDX literature both say "cooled". As stated elsewhere, living in Vegas now, I'll take everything I can get.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Here to help you decide

Old 10-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Right now we have about 6 cars on our 'test drive' list. The top in 2 in my mind are the new GV and the newish 2022 RDX (PMC), NX in third and Corsair, Sorento and GLB rounding the list out.. The comment about the cooled seats...this is the first car I have ever had that had them, so for me, I am thrilled. Many on this board have mentioned that there are 'cooled' (RDX) and 'air-conditioned' seats. The AC seats supposedly leave the 'cooled' in the dust....anxious to try them some day to see/feel the difference. I'm not sure the manufacturer denotes the difference in seat cooling. I do note the GV and RDX literature both say "cooled". As stated elsewhere, living in Vegas now, I'll take everything I can get.
Having now put 15,000 miles on my 21 Corsair in 6 months, I am thrilled with it. BUT, like the GV and the RDX and the Sorento...GLB, and the.......LOL...well, it is not for everybody.

Be sure to check out the Corsair GT, which is a PHEV. I wish it had been available when I needed to replace my RDX.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 10-22-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
FactoryMatt (10-22-2021), hand-filer (10-22-2021), Ih8honda (10-28-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
ultimately, the car is just too long for us (113 WB versus 108 WB for RDX) while simultaneously offering less rear storage space. its a little too much of an SUV coupe in that way. i want short and boxy rather than long and chopped.
and the last thing that seals it (without driving it yet, admittedly) is that even Doug Demuro says the handling is a little sluggish, that you feel the weight transfer. Even compared to the X3, which IMO, is a very low bar.
soo, veryyyy nice car. Amazing execution. Juuust doesn't have the utility of the RDX or that 'feel' that you get with Honda's best products.
re: storage space - I assume you're referring to the trunk? I also thought it too small despite the official measurements saying it's only a couple cubic feet behind the RDX and then I read Autoblog's review of the trunk and came away really surprised that it, more or less, holds as much as the RDX (https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/21/...-luggage-test/). In my head I thought the GV70 was more like a real word 65% of the RDX but looks like it's more like 90-95% of the capacity.

I still think the back seat is too small though - I put my rear facing car seat in the middle so that we can carry two adults comfortably in the back and the GV70 can't do that.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Instructor

back seat is a bit smaller, but the main issue is hatch is chopped just like the Q5 and GLC; the GV70 floor space may be similar to the RDX (i personally dont think so), but there's less vertical volume. maybe i'm biased, but visually/anecdotally, i looked at both cars back to back (dealers were .1 miles from each other), and there was no question in my mind that the RDX had substantially more volume, and considerably more floor space.

my other deal is, i dont want a huge car, the RDX wheelbase is the only one UNDER 110inches, but it has the most rear storage space of any car, roughly equalling the equally-as-boxy-but-larger X3; benefits of a transverse architecture.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Instructor

The following 2 users liked this post by FactoryMatt:
Fast16 (10-22-2021), pilozm (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 12:48 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Having now put 15,000 miles on my 21 Corsair in 6 months, I am thrilled with it. BUT, like the GV and the RDX and the Sorento...GLB, and the.......LOL...well, it is not for everybody.

Be sure to check out the Corsair GT, which is a PHEV. I wish it had been available when I needed to replace my RDX.
Got it. Yeah, that's my list that I will do an annoyingly long amount of reading/internet studying, etc. so when I walk into the dealership I will have a good base knowledge of each vehicle. Right now nothing differentiates one on the list from another except we already know the RDX. They way the price of gas is going, a PHEV will be of great interest, and I think only the Corsair and the Sorento offer that. I also swore (prior to the RDX) that I would never by another car that takes premium unleaded (price), but that's easier said than done it seems.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

back seat is a bit smaller, but the main issue is hatch is chopped just like the Q5 and GLC; the GV70 floor space may be similar to the RDX (i personally dont think so), but there's less vertical volume. maybe i'm biased, but visually/anecdotally, i looked at both cars back to back (dealers were .1 miles from each other), and there was no question in my mind that the RDX had substantially more volume, and considerably more floor space.

my other deal is, i dont want a huge car, the RDX wheelbase is the only one UNDER 110inches, but it has the most rear storage space of any car, roughly equalling the equally-as-boxy-but-larger X3; benefits of a transverse architecture.
The RDX (4,744mm) is longer than the GV70 (4,715mm). But neither are large vehicles however you look at it.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Instructor

The RDX (4,744mm) is longer than the GV70 (4,715mm). But neither are large vehicles however you look at it.
wheelbase. the GV70 is 5 inches longer. ~125mm. That's significant. i don't care as much about bumper overhang, and the RDX uses the extra length better in the form of short seat-to-axle length (just bc its transverse), more second row room, and more hatch space.

wheelbase has wayy more impact on how the car drives and feels than exterior length.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

wheelbase. the GV70 is 5 inches longer. ~125mm. That's significant. i don't care as much about bumper overhang, and the RDX uses the extra length better in the form of short seat-to-axle length (just bc its transverse), more second row room, and more hatch space.

wheelbase has wayy more impact on how the car drives and feels than exterior length.
Have you had a chance to go sit inside the GV70? The rear seat bottoms are longer than those on the RDX. My sons who are about 5’10” right now, have very little leg support when they sat in the back seats of the RDX while having none of that problem in the GV70. I’m not sure why you’re going on and on about how great the RDX drives as if to suggest that the GV70 doesn’t. Having owned both, my conclusion is the GV70 drives far far better than the RDX. This is coming from someone who has owned two NSXes, two R8s, an F355 Spider, a 991.1, a 500+hp TTRS, not to mention many sports sedans.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Instructor

I did sit in a GV, yes.

it's not better or worse; it's different. some people love the X3 M40, i hated it, meanwhile the GLB35 and RDX made me grin ear-to-ear.

why have you owned so many cars? did you spend enough time in them to really get intimate with them?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Have you had a chance to go sit inside the GV70? The rear seat bottoms are longer than those on the RDX. My sons who are about 5’10” right now, have very little leg support when they sat in the back seats of the RDX while having none of that problem in the GV70.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I did sit in a GV, yes.

it's not better or worse; it's different. some people love the X3 M40, i hated it, meanwhile the GLB35 and RDX made me grin ear-to-ear.

why have you owned so many cars? did you spend enough time in them to really get intimate with them?
I can see this discussion is done. Lol
The following 4 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
04WDPSeDaN (10-26-2021), hand-filer (10-22-2021), sonyfever (10-22-2021), Too2ilent (10-23-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 08:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I did sit in a GV, yes.

While I've owned several vehicles that were quite enjoyable, I've never been intimate with one. What's it like?
The following 3 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Fast16 (10-23-2021), RickRDX (10-25-2021), Too2ilent (10-23-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 11:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hand-filer
While I've owned several vehicles that were quite enjoyable, I've never been intimate with one. What's it like?
greasy hands and bloody knuckles.
The following 4 users liked this post by FactoryMatt:
Fast16 (10-23-2021), hand-filer (10-23-2021), Ih8honda (10-28-2021), Too2ilent (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 03:48 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Have not seen the inside of the GV yet, but I assume there is some tradeoff in rear space, as you note, in that petty angled rear glass. The RDX has an angle too, albeit I don't think as much, but that seems pretty normal for a lot of todays SUV's at a cost of cubic inches. We had an LR3, which is a very boxy design with a straight up and down rear glass. The benefit was storage that was unbelievable, at the expense of I guess what would be considered a more attractive look of he angled glass. I have only seen one GV on the road and my impression was it was bigger in all regards to the RDX, so I am surprised that outside the wheelbase that it is shorter and less tall.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFR
I have only seen one GV on the road and my impression was it was bigger in all regards to the RDX, so I am surprised that outside the wheelbase that it is shorter and less tall.
not certain but fairly sure the GV engine bay is much longer due to engine layout. Id also suspect front doors are longer. Its the infiniti fx formula. Sport coupe proportions and all that. Rear storage is pretty good overall for what it is, compared to macan for example, but yea easy misconception out there oninside room with some of these. Eg glb vs glc. Glb is much roomier behind the front seatback
The following 2 users liked this post by FactoryMatt:
EFR (10-23-2021), Fast16 (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 05:08 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Of course a FWD/transverse is more space efficient than a RWD/longitudinal setup, but there are drawbacks to that when it comes to handling (too much weight fore of the front axle which moves it away from the optimal 50/50 weight distribution).

And while, in general, vehicles with with shorter wheelbase are more tossable (otoh, a longer WB helps with ride quality), that really holds true for those with shorter overhangs and less weight.

The AWD RDX weighs about 200 lbs than the AWD 2.5T GV70.

Last edited by YEH; 10-23-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:16 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
While likely going to be a little while longer before we see press fleet reviews of the 2.5T, reviews of the Stinger with the same powertrain have been rolling out and the consensus seems to be more than enough power for most.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2sHSCSoHMoY
EFR (10-23-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YEH
Of course a FWD/transverse is more space efficient than a RWD/longitudinal setup, but there are drawbacks to that when it comes to handling (too much weight fore of the front axle which moves it away from the optimal 50/50 weight distribution).

And while, in general, vehicles with with shorter wheelbase are more tossable (otoh, a longer WB helps with ride quality), that really holds true for those with shorter overhangs and less weight.

The AWD RDX weighs about 200 lbs than the AWD 2.5T GV70.
yes, tossable, yes longer WB rides "better". RDX weight bias is 60/40 in FWD and 57/43 in AWD. generally speaking overhangs add weight yes, but the totality of having a 5-inch longer WB and being farther from the front axle i'd speculate counts for more here. e.g., the X3 M40 has 50/50 weight distribution, and but it still feels like a truck. on a skidpad at 10/10ths, it might push less, but is that the use case? idk. i think the GV70 is about 100lbs heavier than RDX in similar trim. Genesis only publishes minimal specs apparently, so no weight bias specs. gotta love how honda tells you everything down to the thickness of the window glass. #powerofdreams

friendly reminder everyone the GV70 carries the same wheelbase as the three-row MDX. just FYI.

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...tions-features

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases...s-kit-overview
EFR (10-23-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 03:51 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just my personal take on the RDX vs GV70 vs X3 (base / M40i)

I personally own a 2018 X3 (base) and a 2019 X3 M40i (fully optioned). When going out of state to visit family, I always rent from Turo. So a few months ago, I rented a 2020 A-spec RDX. Completely stock, other than having the front windows tinted. I racked just over 700 miles in 3 days. While there was some pro's I found more negatives with the RDX. As soon as picked up the RDX and hit the 1st traffic light, I had some difficultly figuring out the infotainment system. As simple as "How do I get to AM station?!" was an issue. It shouldn't be this difficult to change modes.. Non touch screen / only track pad was a pain in the ass. The chimes were god awful loud and any slight bump you hit on the road the thing went ape shit. I took it home and spent 30 mins trying to figure out the system and adjust the damn chime vol. After "learning" the system, off we went.

The next thing I wasn't too thrilled about was the fuel economy. I nailed roughly 27 on the highway with cruise control set. I didn't like sport mode as it pumped a ton of fake noise into the cabin. The ride was comfortable and smooth. The transmission seemed OK for the most part. I can't really tell you that I experienced much of an issue but sometimes while trying to pass it fell flat on it's face for 2 seconds and then picked up. The audio wasn't anything I would really rave about. It's better than most of the stuff I've rented. If you're big on bass and loud, then yeah this is good. I mostly listen to XM radio in all my vehicles (including my 2004 TL), the owner didn't have satellite radio, so my wife connected her phone to the car for music.

The back seat space was OK. This all depends on how far back the front seats are. Due to having lower back issues, I don't lean my seat that much back. So anyone sitting behind me has plenty of space. My wife likes to lean back and be as comfortable as possible. Not a huge fan of it but I know what battles to fight, this is not one of them. We had family members in the RDX while we went to dinner. Everyone was comfortable though the brake performance was lack luster with the additional weight . At the end, I detailed the owners RDX and gave it back. He asked me how It was, and I was honest. He's a big Acura fan as he also had a 2021 TLX A-spec listed, he agreed with most of my negatives. He was more thrilled that it came back spotless..

With the GV70. This has been a vehicle I've kept my eyes on for a very long time. As I was doing service calls, I saw a fresh batch of GV70 being unloaded. I stopped into the dealership and snapped some photos. I posted them in another thread here on Acurazine. The sales rep told me to come back in another week or two for a test drive and so I did. I drove a red on red 3.5TT GV70. I love attention to details like the amount of leather used on the door panels (nearly the entire panel) to the dashboard to the stitching ect. This is where quality is top notch. The overall fit and finish was insane. You can tell a lot of attention to detail went into this vehicle. I didn't like the transmission dial, as I disliked it as well on the RDX (push buttons). It drove really nice, super quiet. In sport mode it had some nice power but was too quiet for a 3.5 TT. The back seat space was about the same as the RDX (going off memory), but it was 100x better to be in the back seat of the GV70 vs the RDX. Again, the attention to detail is superior. The sound system was pretty damn good, almost excellent The cargo space was decent, nothing I would rave about. The elephant in the room, the price. It's a lot of coin for a genesis and not saying it's not worth it, but it's steep. The other issue is the dealership. They really need a stand alone dealership. The Hyundai part is hurting them. Me personally, buying one of these a year used is a better deal considering it will be a CPO.

As I said, I own two G01 BMW X3's. In comparison to my M40i, I wouldn't trade it for either one of these. For my base X3, I would consider trading for a 3.5TT GV70, but only if I get one used. My M40i is fully optioned and modified. The engine is one of the best inline 6 ever produced (B58). The performance and sound is toxic. Ride is comfortable can be a bit harsh depending on the settings. As far as the audio, it's better than the RDX but not by much but the GV70 has the better system. I feel the back seat space and cargo room is better on the X3 vs the other two. I get about 36 MPG on my base and I get 32 MPG on my M40i (Highway). The X3 is super easy to understand and operate. It has an actual gear shifter which is a big plus for me, personally. I still like the Ambient lighting in my X3s though the GV70 was impressive. My M40i has the full digital cluster it seems basic to the GV70, either one is good in my book. BMW definitely drives like a BMW, you feel more excitement and connected. There's not much more I can say other than if it was a choice between the RDX or GV70, I would pick GV70 over and over again. As for the 2.5 GV70, I can't say anything about that since I didn't test drive it.

I've worked on many vehicles in my life including working for Acura. I love to rent different vehicles to say I had an opportunity to really drive them and not for a few miles. This is just my personal opinion and thoughts.
The following 4 users liked this post by 04WDPSeDaN:
Ih8honda (10-28-2021), pilozm (10-26-2021), RickRDX (10-28-2021), sonyfever (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

My personal experience with the X3 is a bit different. I have an A-spec, my wife has a X3 30i, both from 2020. I drove the X3 a lot, it drives just a hair better than the Acura, more connected with better steering feel, but it has hard small uncomfortable seat (I am not that big) . I like my A-spec more, it is bigger, has bigger nicer seat. The X3 is smaller with much less space in the center console. Where the X3 is a clear winner is the infotainment with touch screen and wireless Car play and in mileage. The X3 gets about 9-10 l/100km while the Acura 10-11l/100km. Overall I still prefer the Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by RickRDX:
04WDPSeDaN (10-28-2021), Titan2707 (04-22-2022)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:24 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by RickRDX
My personal experience with the X3 is a bit different. I have an A-spec, my wife has a X3 30i, both from 2020. I drove the X3 a lot, it drives just a hair better than the Acura, more connected with better steering feel, but it has hard small uncomfortable seat (I am not that big) . I like my A-spec more, it is bigger, has bigger nicer seat. The X3 is smaller with much less space in the center console. Where the X3 is a clear winner is the infotainment with touch screen and wireless Car play and in mileage. The X3 gets about 9-10 l/100km while the Acura 10-11l/100km. Overall I still prefer the Acura.

The seats seem to be a big issue with the X3 but here's my opinion. My 2018 (base) has sport seats with adjustable side bolsters. I find them to be comfortable but on a very long drive, I find myself adjusting often. My 2019 (M40i) has the cooled seats which are thicker but don't offer side adjustable bolster. I feel as they are more comfortable, especially in the summer with the cooled option. A lot of forum members (xbimmers) have had heated debates on the sport seats vs cooled seats. Some claim the sports seats are way more comfortable and vice versa with the cooled seats. I have both and have had plenty of time in both. Now, I recently went to the dealership for service work and they gave me a 2022 base X3 loaner. Just a standard seat without side bolster adjustments and I couldn't get comfortable in it whatsoever. I actually disliked it as much as I dislike the model refresh look. I found the A-spec RDX rode a bit better vs my base. My base has the 19 inch wheels with run flats which have stiff side walls. The RDX rides on a better profile / softer tire so it does eat up a bit of the harshness. As for my M40i, it rides on 20 inch wheels with continental extreme DWS (Winter) and 21 inch with the same tires (Summer). It rides better than the A-spec RDX and my base X3. It gets a bit harsh with the 21 inch wheels due to the wider and lower profile.
RickRDX (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
^ Did the X3s you drive have RFTs? That contributes a lot to harshness.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:57 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by anoop
^ Did the X3s you drive have RFTs? That contributes a lot to harshness.
My 2018 has 19 inch wheels with RFT. My M40i doesn't. Every loaner I've been in has RFT. The 21 430i had the most harsh ride. In all fairness, it's a low two door vehicle with low profile tires.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

In case anyone is interested…

pilozm (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
LOL Sam with the classic blown launch. I guess at least he acknowledged it this time.

Quick Reply: Anyone compare RDX to GV70?