Anyone compare RDX to GV70?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 08:24 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
It will definitely be on my list for next vehicle test drives, either this year end, if the reviews are good. I like the way the outside looks (and looks are always divisive of course.) What I am not sure I like, from the pictures, is the way the dash looks. Maybe it looks better in person, but, I don't know.....it just has an odd look to it. But overall, I like the Genesis body styling. What I don't know is how well Genesis will hold its value (although outside of Jeep Wranglers and pickup trucks in general...does anything?) And as well, I just don't now that much about Hyundai/Kia/Genesis long term dependability. We tend to keep cars for a longer period....10 years or so.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (09-17-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wuffy
Sorry if this was mentioned already, but currently on initial looks and cost (both around 50k) I am seriously thinking about an RDX A-Spec or the Genesis GV70. Wondered if anyone else has an info on the GV70 as I am quite familiar with the RDX. My biggest knocks off the top on the Genesis would be an unknown dealership and it being a 1st year model.
I have an RDX and I test drove this vehicle recently. It’s wayyyyy out of the RDX’s league. Seriously, you can’t even compare the two. This car is competing with luxury brands such as Mercedes and BMW. They cut no corners on this vehicle. Everything feels so premium and the car drives like butter. Cabin is quiet. Seats are very comfortable. Steering wheel feels awesome. I love the arm rest, it feels soft (unlike that hard crap in the X3). That 14.5 in touchscreen display is gorgeous and there’s also a rotary knob as well which is easier to use while driving. Really nice sound system. There are blind spot cameras for each turn signal (I’m talking about the advanced package). The rearview camera is the best I’ve seen, and the 360 camera is the cherry on top. The only place the rdx comes out on top is cargo space (which to me doesn’t really matter). I can’t wait for my lease to be over so I can snag one of these. Hope the prices improve by then because damn they’re crazy right now.

Last edited by Acurafangrl; 08-10-2021 at 08:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Acurafangrl:
hand-filer (08-11-2021), Ih8honda (08-13-2021), Jim7707 (08-11-2021), RickRDX (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:06 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurafangrl
I have an RDX and I test drove this vehicle recently. It’s wayyyyy out of the RDX’s league. Seriously, you can’t even compare the two. This car is competing with luxury brands such as Mercedes and BMW. They cut no corners on this vehicle. Everything feels so premium and the car drives like butter. Cabin is quiet. Seats are very comfortable. Steering wheel feels awesome. I love the arm rest, it feels soft (unlike that hard crap in the X3). That 14.5 in touchscreen display is gorgeous and there’s also a rotary knob as well which is easier to use while driving. Really nice sound system. There are blind spot cameras for each turn signal (I’m talking about the advanced package). The rearview camera is the best I’ve seen, and the 360 camera is the cherry on top. The only place the rdx comes out on top is cargo space (which to me doesn’t really matter). I can’t wait for my lease to be over so I can snag one of these. Hope the prices improve by then because damn they’re crazy right now.
Run, don't walk....to your nearest Genesis dealer and snag one of these....really.....Why not?

I have mentioned many times that we all have personalities and so do cars. The secret is to match your wants to the vehicle that delivers what you feel is important. There are few grossly unreliable vehicles built today. Technology, quality control and the marketplace have weeded out the bad apples. Add to that pressure for manufactures to offer long warranties and last ditch we have Lemon Laws. Sure some vehicle models may at times have various issues. This can, and does, happen to every manufacturer at one time or another. And, one should keep in mind over all ownership costs, things like maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle (the scourge of European vehicles). But in the end all that matters is one simple fact: Does the car provide you the ownership experience you desire? It it checks all your boxes and you can afford it, they buy it.

I spent my formative automotive years in the south of Germany driving Porsche's and hopped up Fiats through mountain roads were a "straight road" was a concept one thought about but never actually saw and speed limits were something in a distant memory from back home. . Then I came home and began my professional career working with "imports" again most European and then my early OEM work was with Japanese companies. I bought cars for nearly thirty years before I would even consider getting one with an automatic transmission. So, my tastes are shaped by my own experiences just as you were by yours. Luxury type vehicles for me are really so low on my wish list I wouldn't bother to look at one. But that is just me. YMMV as they say. And who knows, maybe someday I will change and consider one. But as "Maverick" replies to a question in Top Gun, "maybe so sir, but not today".
Buy the car you love......
Lumify (08-29-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
run, don't walk....to your nearest genesis dealer and snag one of these....really.....why not?

I have mentioned many times that we all have personalities and so do cars. The secret is to match your wants to the vehicle that delivers what you feel is important. There are few grossly unreliable vehicles built today. Technology, quality control and the marketplace have weeded out the bad apples. Add to that pressure for manufactures to offer long warranties and last ditch we have lemon laws. Sure some vehicle models may at times have various issues. This can, and does, happen to every manufacturer at one time or another. And, one should keep in mind over all ownership costs, things like maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle (the scourge of european vehicles). But in the end all that matters is one simple fact: Does the car provide you the ownership experience you desire? It it checks all your boxes and you can afford it, they buy it.

I spent my formative automotive years in the south of germany driving porsche's and hopped up fiats through mountain roads were a "straight road" was a concept one thought about but never actually saw and speed limits were something in a distant memory from back home. . Then i came home and began my professional career working with "imports" again most european and then my early oem work was with japanese companies. I bought cars for nearly thirty years before i would even consider getting one with an automatic transmission. So, my tastes are shaped by my own experiences just as you were by yours. Luxury type vehicles for me are really so low on my wish list i wouldn't bother to look at one. But that is just me. Ymmv as they say. And who knows, maybe someday i will change and consider one. But as "maverick" replies to a question in top gun, "maybe so sir, but not today".
Buy the car you love......
wtf?
The following 3 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Byer2021 (08-12-2021), RickRDX (08-12-2021), Too2ilent (08-12-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
wtf?
Its simple....if you find a car you dearly love...BUY IT! We all have our own favorites for our own reasons. Life is too short to not have what your heart desires.

Is that so complicated?
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
JB in AZ (08-13-2021), Lumify (08-29-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Test drove a GV70 2.5l today. Wow! That's how you design a cockpit for the driver which is about the opposite of what Acura did especially for me being a lefty. With the GV70, my arm rests perfectly to use the large control knob and it is very easy to navigate with. Also loved the way the vehicle drove and the 2.5L has move than enough pep for me. Right now this is the vehicle of choice for me most likely in a few months.
The following 2 users liked this post by wuffy:
EFR (08-13-2021), hand-filer (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:15 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Test drove a GV70 2.5l today. Wow! That's how you design a cockpit for the driver which is about the opposite of what Acura did especially for me being a lefty. With the GV70, my arm rests perfectly to use the large control knob and it is very easy to navigate with. Also loved the way the vehicle drove and the 2.5L has move than enough pep for me. Right now this is the vehicle of choice for me most likely in a few months.
Sounds good. There are about 14 that appear in stock in the Vegas area (2 dealers)....mostly the 3.5 engine. One dealer they are all 54 to 59K. The other dealer just says 'call for price. Good to hear on the interior (dash)...I don't know that I am crazy about form the pictures but seeing things always gives a different perspective. If we pull the trigger on a new car this year, it will be on the 'test drive' list.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:42 PM
Intermediate

The one I am looking at is the 2.5L with Advanced trim for 51k.
EFR (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts
My Genesis dealer only has one 2.5T in stock which is their demo car - the chip shortage has hit them hard and the 3.5T versions are being prioritized. He told me not to expect decent 2.5T availability till October at best.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Barring a last minute change of heart, I am going to put a down payment on a GV70 2.5 with Advance trim. I believe that Acura would need to do way too many tweaks to the RDX for me to change my mind. Never having to use the RDX touchpad with my offhand is a huge plus to me among many other items. Getting $22,500 for my RDX trade in, so almost 1/2 the cost is paid for already.
The following 2 users liked this post by wuffy:
hand-filer (08-16-2021), RickRDX (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Barring a last minute change of heart, I am going to put a down payment on a GV70 2.5 with Advance trim. I believe that Acura would need to do way too many tweaks to the RDX for me to change my mind. Never having to use the RDX touchpad with my offhand is a huge plus to me among many other items. Getting $22,500 for my RDX trade in, so almost 1/2 the cost is paid for already.
Right on! Keep your current user name when you join up at Genesis Forums. I'll check in to see how it's going for you.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Already Wuffy over at Genesisowners.com. Needed access to the forums to help with my comparison shopping.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Just made an excellent deal to trade in my 2019 RDX A-spec on a GV70 Sport Plus 3.5TT. Picking it up next week. Mauna Red on Ultramarine Blue.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
hand-filer (08-23-2021), RickRDX (08-23-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 06:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Just made an excellent deal to trade in my 2019 RDX A-spec on a GV70 Sport Plus 3.5TT. Picking it up next week. Mauna Red on Ultramarine Blue.
I’m jealous! I’m trying to get out of my lease so I can get a 3.5 advance. Acura has made it harder since they no longer allow third party buyouts -_-
Old 08-22-2021, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Lucky you - looking forward to hearing your comments about your GV70. I have to wait and wait until mine is available. Not sure if it will be weeks or months. Thankfully all is well with my 2018 RDX so I'll keep saving $$$ until then.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

I’m jealous! I’m trying to get out of my lease so I can get a 3.5 advance. Acura has made it harder since they no longer allow third party buyouts -_-
If your Acura dealership is part of a corporation that also owns a Hyundai/Genesis dealership, you should be able to get out of that lease without any problems since Acura allows buyouts from affiliated companies (provided you’re indeed getting your GV70 from that affiliated dealership).
Old 08-22-2021, 08:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Lucky you - looking forward to hearing your comments about your GV70. I have to wait and wait until mine is available. Not sure if it will be weeks or months. Thankfully all is well with my 2018 RDX so I'll keep saving $$$ until then.
Your wait will be worth it. While a couple of test drives is all I’ve had so far, I simply can’t imagine that the GV70 will have more problems than my RDX. And the tech, quality of materials, features, and performance are just miles ahead of the RDX. I’ve had 10 Acuras over the years and after the disappointment that the RDX has proven to be, I think I’m finally and utterly done with the brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
hand-filer (08-23-2021), Ih8honda (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

If your Acura dealership is part of a corporation that also owns a Hyundai/Genesis dealership, you should be able to get out of that lease without any problems since Acura allows buyouts from affiliated companies (provided you’re indeed getting your GV70 from that affiliated dealership).
I never thought of that, thanks, will look into it. Wonder if Acura will want my vehicle back, I have a pretty cheap lease
Old 08-22-2021, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I never thought of that, thanks, will look into it. Wonder if Acura will want my vehicle back, I have a pretty cheap lease
I’m sure they would want it. Pre-owned vehicles are in such high demand right now because there’s no waiting involved. The whole semi-conductor shortage is creating real problems for dealerships everywhere. I would start by knowing what your buyout amount is (residual value plus remaining payments etc) and go from there. Depending on the specific terms of your lease, it’s possible you’ll get an offer that covers all of that and maybe even put some cash in your pocket.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I was going to look at this one but decided not as there's no discount and it's a first year model. Hyundai has had issues with first year models. My wife loves her top of the line Kona Ultimate. I year and no isuues. So I was interested in the Genesis but after two RDX's, I think I took the safe route.

https://www.genesisofcharlotte.com/n...a61eb3cefa.htm
Old 08-28-2021, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Took delivery of the GV70 today. Anyone who’s even remotely contemplating switching to or buying this crossover owe it to themselves to give it a chance and take one for an extended test drive. It’s simply fantastic. Better than my First Edition Velar, and definitely in a different league to the RDX. In fact, I’m not sure they’re even in the same sport.

Last edited by SebringSilver; 08-28-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
Took delivery of the GV70 today. Anyone who’s even remotely contemplating switching to or buying this crossover owe it to themselves to give it a chance and take one for an extended test drive. It’s simply fantastic. Better than my First Edition Velar, and definitely in a different league to the RDX. In fact, I’m not sure they’re even in the same sport.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anoop

The following 8 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
hand-filer (09-10-2021), Jim7707 (08-29-2021), justnspace (08-29-2021), mch (09-09-2021), oblio98 (09-01-2021), pilozm (09-21-2021), RickRDX (08-30-2021), supafamous (08-29-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looks awesome. Wheel design is cool--reminds me of slotted rotors. Congratulations!

My favorite YouTube reviewer Alex on Autos doesn't seem to have reviewed it yet.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Looks awesome. Wheel design is cool--reminds me of slotted rotors. Congratulations!

My favorite YouTube reviewer Alex on Autos doesn't seem to have reviewed it yet.
Yes, I noticed a lot of the GV70 reviews that ARE out there are from relatively smaller channels. But Straight Pipes and Sofyan as well as Throttle House have reviewed it. Check it out when you have time.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I noticed a lot of the GV70 reviews that ARE out there are from relatively smaller channels. But Straight Pipes and Sofyan as well as Throttle House have reviewed it. Check it out when you have time.
You got the same color combo that Soyfan tested! Although the seat material you have appears different.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:09 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is exact ext/int color combo I would get ... I think the red/blue is the best. Congrats.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

You got the same color combo that Soyfan tested! Although the seat material you have appears different.
Yes, up here in Canada the highest trim level (Sport Plus) gets the quilted leather which I prefer anyway over the leather/alcantara seat, mainly because the cooled seats function performs better on the leather-only seats (and look more elegant too perhaps).

Originally Posted by spowell71
That is exact ext/int color combo I would get ... I think the red/blue is the best. Congrats.
Thanks! But do explore the other colour combos. The Himalayan Grey with red interior looks amazing too.
pilozm (09-21-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The only gray/silver I would consider would be the Matte... i.e. MELBOURNE GRAY which is a $1500 option. My history is ... silver BMW 740, silver Audi A6, silver 911, silver Acura TLX ,,, current Acura gray TLX and silver RDX ... I think you see a pattern. Every time I get a new car I tell myself anything other than gray/silver but i will always buy the same color ... I am hoping to branch out next time whether it be a GV70 or another RDX. There is no wrong answer with GV70 colors ... for me I would go for a unique gv70 color which makes it special ... the matte colors ... green, burgundy, etc.. Let put it this way ... you will not find a red like yours in a BMW X3 or Audi Q5 -- but the Germans have lots of different gray and silvers shades - the red stands out. You can find a lot of German cars with red interiors ... but not many with blue. Your color combo is a differentiator. Since this model has the crazy genesis g-matrix wheels ... I would not get a conservative color combo and would go all in with a unique gv70 color combo. Just one persons opinion.
SebringSilver (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spowell71
The only gray/silver I would consider would be the Matte... i.e. MELBOURNE GRAY which is a $1500 option. My history is ... silver BMW 740, silver Audi A6, silver 911, silver Acura TLX ,,, current Acura gray TLX and silver RDX ... I think you see a pattern. Every time I get a new car I tell myself anything other than gray/silver but i will always buy the same color ... I am hoping to branch out next time whether it be a GV70 or another RDX. There is no wrong answer with GV70 colors ... for me I would go for a unique gv70 color which makes it special ... the matte colors ... green, burgundy, etc.. Let put it this way ... you will not find a red like yours in a BMW X3 or Audi Q5 -- but the Germans have lots of different gray and silvers shades - the red stands out. You can find a lot of German cars with red interiors ... but not many with blue. Your color combo is a differentiator. Since this model has the crazy genesis g-matrix wheels ... I would not get a conservative color combo and would go all in with a unique gv70 color combo. Just one persons opinion.
Your car history has some parallels to my own. I also had a 740i, an A6, a 991.1, and several TLXes, albeit in different colours from yours. In my old age, I’ve also steered away from overly conservative colours so your post really resonates with me.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:17 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Fantastic pick up, Sebring!
SebringSilver (08-29-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just thought I’d share a few more pictures.

GV70’s 3D map

Transmission control dial when in Drive

Transmission control dial when in Reverse

The following 5 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
anoop (09-09-2021), hand-filer (09-10-2021), justnspace (09-10-2021), pilozm (09-21-2021), RickRDX (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 10:11 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Quilted seats are classy. I like the red piping - I've always found the red leather in the RDX a bit much, and also I don't like the ultrasuede inserts.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
Fantastic pick up, Sebring!
Thank you, sir!

I’ve been very impressed with the car so far. And pictures don’t really do it justice. But you can see from this shot how dramatic the parabolic side body line is as well as the multiple layers of flaring on the rear flank looks when the light hits it just right.

The following 6 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
FactoryMatt (09-20-2021), hand-filer (09-10-2021), justnspace (09-10-2021), pilozm (09-21-2021), RickRDX (09-09-2021), supafamous (09-09-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-09-2021, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Just thought I’d share a few more pictures.

GV70’s 3D map

Transmission control dial when in Drive

Transmission control dial when in Reverse

Yeah, but does it have kindergarten-like graphics that appear for 3 seconds when you change driving modes?
Old 09-09-2021, 10:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
Yeah, but does it have kindergarten-like graphics that appear for 3 seconds when you change driving modes?
Absolutely! Why else would anyone buy such a car??
Old 09-09-2021, 10:42 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Quilted seats are classy. I like the red piping - I've always found the red leather in the RDX a bit much, and also I don't like the ultrasuede inserts.
Agree on the ultrasuede...I had nothing to compare it to until I got a Tech loaner and liked the regular leather a lot better.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:44 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

GV70 looks very nice. Like that red. I just read another great review on the GV70, so if those keep up and inventories get their act together, it will def be on our test drive list.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
GV70 looks very nice. Like that red. I just read another great review on the GV70, so if those keep up and inventories get their act together, it will def be on our test drive list.
When the time comes, don’t hesitate to ask for an overnight test drive so you can get a better picture of what the GV70 is all about. My dealership offered that to me without me even asking.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With that dial transmission control, what happens if you rotate to N or R while driving forward. You know, if say you mix up the dials, thinking it's other one.
pilozm (09-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone compare RDX to GV70?