Anyone compare RDX to GV70?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 08:42 PM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
How is the stereo sound? No digital tach and speedo? No pano roof? Awkward looking?
Old 09-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
not sure if its been posted yet, but the Honda Fanboy has spoken. They don't elaborate much on steering feel or "dynamics" sadly. The underbody looks REALLY GOOD though. Forged aluminum split LCAs and forged knuckles. I love the RDX and will still probably end up with one, but it really exposes the RDX for what it is, a pricepoint car with compromised brakes and suspension; and wonky packages. if dealers out here try ADM on the 2022 they're going to be sitting on cars quite awhile. too many viable competitors.

Last edited by FactoryMatt; 09-20-2021 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Over at "AutoBlog" there is a glowing review of the GV70. The reviewer favorably compares it to its competition. But, he also had this to say about it:

"Despite the sport sedan genes, however, the GV70 behaves more like its stately big brother, the GV80. It feels quite heavy, and, even when the available adaptive suspension is at its firmest in Sport+ mode, there's a fair bit of body roll. It sure likes to understeer, too, and it's hard to tell from the seat of your pants when you're getting overly ambitious with the throttle coming out of a corner. It won't seem like things are getting spunky, but then the stability control will jerk the seatbelts on you as if disaster is imminent. Excessively cautious nanny tech or excessive isolation? Shrug.The steering settings also need a rethink. The Sport mode is an unfortunate throwback to the earlier days of adjustable drive settings when extra effort would be added to satisfy the false assumption that stiff equals sporty, only worse. The G70 sedan’s isn't like this, but the GV70’s extra effort simply dulls the sensations transmitted from what is already a less-than-talkative chassis. At least its Custom mode lets you sub in the perfectly acceptable "Comfort" steering while keeping everything else at full habanero, which is an atypical combo to say the least."

The market is highly competitive and different companies have a different personality that shows in their cars. As I always say, "find the car that suits you".
And I noticed one other interesting number: Acura sales are up 42% from last year, even with the delays and shortages. And Honda has sold over a million vehicles so far this year and ranks right up in the top three with Ford and Toyota in sales numbers. Guess there are a LOT of Honda Fan Boys out there.

Have a good day....
FactoryMatt (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Instructor

I am (or was, and want to be again..) a honda fanboy. not trying to bash the RDX outright. tough love, ya know?

that said, thats a quality, substantive review. that alone turns me off from considering the GV70. they're making progress but maybe still maybe haven't captured that je ne sais quios that makes a car exciting to drive. the RDX seems to have something that appeals to enthusiasts that's hard to express to the average appliance buyer.

Last edited by FactoryMatt; 09-20-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts

This is a good review of the GV70 that I watched yesterday and they touch a lot on how little of a sporting SUV's capability is really used by people - I think their comment is that 80% of the time you'd never notice a difference. They're very positive about the GV70 (and they were about the RDX).

In my short drive of the GV70 I'd say that it was far more serene and luxurious than the RDX while not that far off in sportiness - if anything I find the RDX goes too far and fakes it a bit too much (that fake engine sound in particular). It feels like an unnatural sportiness versus other Honda products like the Civic. And there are many things in the RDX that detract from it being a really good enthusiast vehicle - the transmission shifts too slow, the brakes are terrible (particularly brake feel), the damping isn't well resolved on the A-Spec (too stiff legged). It's got the looks, it's got a great motor but it comes up as not particularly well resolved like some of its siblings.
pilozm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So glad I'm back, haven't been here since I ended my second consecutive RDX lease in 2019 for a BMW 330i M-sport. That lease will be up in July so I'm already looking at my options. I do know I'm going back to an SUV. I don't like any of the BMW SUVs, so BMW is out. Figured I'd probably go back to an RDX, BUT....I hate the taillights. They remind me of the GMC Terrain and they don't look "luxury" like the diamond-jewel headlights. I don't want a vehicle that I'm not happy to see every day! Sooo, thought I'd check out the Infiniti, though not thrilled about that one either. And then.....I saw the GV70. Wow! The headlights AND taillights are so luxe! That vehicle would put a smile on my face every time I saw it. I went to my local Genesis (aka Hyundai) dealer and looked at the ones on the lot, which were mostly the 3.5 (which I can't afford). Those of you who have the Sport Prestige package with the 21" wheels, is the ride harsh? I don't want to take a test drive yet or I might be tempted to break my lease. I also want white, and the white I saw on the GV80 I didn't really like. (Though I know they have several different versions of white.)
pilozm (09-21-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnetteFL
So glad I'm back, haven't been here since I ended my second consecutive RDX lease in 2019 for a BMW 330i M-sport. That lease will be up in July so I'm already looking at my options. I do know I'm going back to an SUV. I don't like any of the BMW SUVs, so BMW is out. Figured I'd probably go back to an RDX, BUT....I hate the taillights. They remind me of the GMC Terrain and they don't look "luxury" like the diamond-jewel headlights. I don't want a vehicle that I'm not happy to see every day! Sooo, thought I'd check out the Infiniti, though not thrilled about that one either. And then.....I saw the GV70. Wow! The headlights AND taillights are so luxe! That vehicle would put a smile on my face every time I saw it. I went to my local Genesis (aka Hyundai) dealer and looked at the ones on the lot, which were mostly the 3.5 (which I can't afford). Those of you who have the Sport Prestige package with the 21" wheels, is the ride harsh? I don't want to take a test drive yet or I might be tempted to break my lease. I also want white, and the white I saw on the GV80 I didn't really like. (Though I know they have several different versions of white.)
I have the 21” wheels on my 3.5T Sport Plus and the ride is not harsh in any way whatsoever. There is literally nothing that my 2019 RDX is superior to the GV70 in. Some here won’t agree, but they’ve probably never driven the GV70 yet. I’m now thinking of buying one more GV70 it’s that good.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
AnnetteFL (09-24-2021), pilozm (09-28-2021), RickRDX (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just in case there’s still any doubt as to the GV70’s merits as a luxurious sports SUV, here’s some more reviews from YouTube channels I’m sure everyone here knows:

The following 2 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
pilozm (09-28-2021), RickRDX (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
^ I just watched Doug Demuro's since I like his reviews. Looks amazing.
SebringSilver (09-26-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Just getting ready to leave town for a week, so I might be missing something, but this link looks like an interesting turn of affairs. Should stimulate some thinking (both here and at Acura) about what the next (thinking longer-term) version of the Acura RDX could/should look like.

Genesis GV60 First Look: Gee, It's an EV (motortrend.com)
Old 09-25-2021, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Looks like people who cross shop GV70 and RDX need to add NX into the mix. Curious to see NX pricing, Acura might finally realize that they should have upgraded the technology more for the MMC.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
Looks like people who cross shop GV70 and RDX need to add NX into the mix. Curious to see NX pricing, Acura might finally realize that they should have upgraded the technology more for the MMC.
Among these NX would be my choice because of the hybrid drivetrains. I won't consider anything that is not at least a hybrid for my next car.
Old 09-26-2021, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
Among these NX would be my choice because of the hybrid drivetrains. I won't consider anything that is not at least a hybrid for my next car.
Yeah with the tax credit on PHEV, NX might end up not too far away from Advance A-spec price. If I have to take the PHEV pill, Toyota/Lexus is the best bet for reliability/maintenance cost reasons.

I think Honda/Acura have problem sourcing enough batteries at the price they want to pay at this stage to offer PHEV.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:16 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Just saw my first GV70 at the grocery store...it's a head turner. Great looking car
Old 09-29-2021, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Just saw my first GV70 at the grocery store...it's a head turner. Great looking car
I agree it's a head turner, but I disagree that it is a Great looking car. Differing opinions. And the GV80 just looks LARGE as well as NOT great looking.

In case you haven't figured it out, I will not be even considering a Genesis in the foreseeable future.
one4all (10-06-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:34 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

And I disagree...it is great looking, from every angle (Unlike so many of the square econobox designs (the new Bronco, Mercedes GLB, VW Tiguan, Honda CRV and so on). I suppose for some the big grill, like Lexus, could be divisive, but I think the Lexus looks good and I think that the Genesis looks good... on the outside. It's the interior that looks a little odd to me.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFR
And I disagree...it is great looking, from every angle (Unlike so many of the square econobox designs (the new Bronco, Mercedes GLB, VW Tiguan, Honda CRV and so on). I suppose for some the big grill, like Lexus, could be divisive, but I think the Lexus looks good and I think that the Genesis looks good... on the outside. It's the interior that looks a little odd to me.
the GLB is the best looking car in this segment. i take umbrage with that.

The GV70 silhouette is okay, but its overwrought. too tryhard. too much flamesiding and too much texture. there's confidence in understatement. look at the new ford explorer and escape. clean and timeless. yes, i can't believe i'm saying that about a north american Ford, but it's true.
one4all (10-06-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Everyone has different tastes - like I don't think the Escape is anything to write home about but I think it's cousin, the Corsair is lovely. The Aviator is a beaut IMO while the GLB has the right concept but fails in execution b/c of it's FWD platform (there's just too much awkwardness in its stance in the same way the X1 fails). Trim levels make a big difference too - the GLC300 base trim is boring and like a bar of soap while the GLC43 has real presence and the right amount of bling (that grille!). The X3 M40i is a great representation of all of BMW's best exterior work.

My neighbour has a green GV80 and I'd say it 90% passes the test - it's bold, crisp, and looks very expensive. It only slips in some detail work - the stance is a bit off (too much wheel gap, not enough offset). It's much more premium looking than the RDX or MDX.

The GV70 has great presence IMO - bold, crisp, a touch overdone but not over the top (no more so than the RDX), the interior is just fantastic - better than any of its competitors.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
hand-filer (09-30-2021), JB in AZ (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

It’s really hard to debate looks, since it’s incredibly subjective. But having owned both the current-gen RDX (an A-spec) and the new GV70, I think the quality is miles apart. The materials used in the cabin of my RDX wasn’t terrible per se, but there really was a lot of hard plastics everywhere. In the GV70, everything is leather and alcantara and put together precisely. Of course performance wise there’s no comparison. I continue to wonder why Acura doesn’t just go further. I’ve had ten Acuras so I’m obviously a fan. But they need to start doing more to make their cars more appealing (beyond being the value proposition).
hand-filer (09-30-2021), RickRDX (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
One thing I consider is the dealer. Both are about 50 miles away. From what little I've dealt with the Acura dealer they have been great. Although I've never dealt with the Hyundai dealer (no exclusive Genesis dealers anywhere even remotely close) everything I can find researching the Hyundai dealer has been pretty bad. Hate to spend that kind of money at a dealership that treats it's customers so poorly.
JB in AZ (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
the GLB is the best looking car in this segment. i take umbrage with that.

The GV70 silhouette is okay, but its overwrought. too tryhard. too much flamesiding and too much texture. there's confidence in understatement. look at the new ford explorer and escape. clean and timeless. yes, i can't believe i'm saying that about a north american Ford, but it's true.
I find the styling of the Escape to be rather bland. The Explorer is okay but nothing to write home about either. The GLB looks like a box on wheels.
The GV70 on the other hand is a handsome looking vehicle aside from the grill which looks somewhat industrial looking.
Everyone has varying opinions on what is and isn't aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

https://www.autoguide.com/car-compar...can-comparison

GV70 3.5T vs. Macan S.
The following 3 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
FactoryMatt (10-05-2021), hand-filer (10-12-2021), RickRDX (10-05-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
It's much more premium looking than the RDX or MDX.
The thing is Acuras haven't really looked "premium" or "luxurious" since the late 90's (1G TL and RL), at least not in the stately and handsome sense akin to Mercedes-Benz or Bentley. I would never describe any Acura as "elegant looking". Acuras are primarily meant to look sporty and aggressive, while somewhat more upscale/refined than equivalent sized Hondas - the embodiment of the "Precision Crafted Performance" branding. Acura is still the value oriented jack of all trades brand that provides some luxury and some sportiness in a well built vehicle at an excellent price with above average resale value and reliability. I don't see Acura ever abandoning this niche where it has competed very well (especially for SUVs). Contrast to Infiniti which has struggled with identity in its quest to go directly after the Germans but is now withering on the vine.

Of course there was a period when Acura and the design theme kind of lost its way (shield grille, gaudy chrome exterior bits, weird wheel designs, no tailpipes etc) but I think this generation is the best looking and most cohesive from Acura yet (except maybe 2004/5), from the ILX-S to NSX-S. The A-Spec RDX looks especially great and I find myself staring whenever I see one, certainly more so than the x3 or GLC.

As for the GV70 I think it's the best looking of all the Genesis models but still seems excessively overstyled. My greatest compliment for Genesis in general is that the cars actually look distinctive now compared to prior generations of Hyundai/Kia/Genesis products that were mashups of designs from other brands or just plain generic looking, but they might be trying a bit too hard for the "bespoke" look. It's basically the opposite of Mercedes' current lineup. The Genesis designers got especially carried away with the diamond mesh pattern, copy/pasting it on practically every surface they could find from the wheels to cheap bits of plastic on the bumper. I like the Genesis interiors a lot better than the exteriors, but have concerns about how long they'll last under repeated use (not to mention the car itself).

Last edited by one4all; 10-06-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
While not an infallible indicator, ATP does give a decent impression of what the market views as premium as compared to luxury.

July ATP (KBB) -

Acura - $45,702
Lexus - $51,490

Infiniti - $52,227

Genesis - $60,096

Audi - $59,704
BMW - $59,378
Mercedes - $68,748
Volvo - $55,756
The following 2 users liked this post by YEH:
anoop (10-08-2021), RickRDX (10-07-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 PM
Drifting

What is ATP? I tried Googling it, and you would be surprised how many choices I came up with, but none applied in any fashion to automobiles! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2021, 09:20 PM
YEH
Burning Brakes

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
^ Average transaction price
JB in AZ (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by YEH
^ Average transaction price
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim7707
One thing I consider is the dealer. Both are about 50 miles away. From what little I've dealt with the Acura dealer they have been great. Although I've never dealt with the Hyundai dealer (no exclusive Genesis dealers anywhere even remotely close) everything I can find researching the Hyundai dealer has been pretty bad. Hate to spend that kind of money at a dealership that treats it's customers so poorly.
My wife and I stopped to look at a GV70 and we were initially impressed about the vehicle. However we are no impressed by the dealership ( Hyundai). If they intend to make it a stand alone brand then they need to get away from the Hyundai dealerships. The ones in my area are very cheesy and the salespeople are old school sales. If I am going to spend $63K then I want to feel like I am going to get that in return. The GV70 was a little too small compared to the RDX so I think I will pass. I looked really good at the lines and it looks like a Korean vehicle and the looks will fade sooner and look dated in a short time. The vehicle has lots of tech but I am concerned about resale since there isn't anything showing the Genesis having a decent resale. Definitely some pros and cons for both vehicles but I think we will stay with the 2022 RDX for the time being.

Last edited by Hou-RL; 10-10-2021 at 01:30 PM.
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 01:53 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Good points. There are two Acura dealers in Vegas, one I can't stand and won't go there for anything. The other is good. I am surprised about the size you mention of the GV. On the outside it looks, to me, larger than the RDX, but the dimensions are definitely smaller as I recall. Resale very important, however outside of pickups and Jeep Wranglers I don't of any vehicle that really excels in that area. I just saw the price for the new Lexus NX (starts at 42K) which sounds pretty good and is on our list to look at by year end.
R3amir (04-21-2022)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
The vehicle has lots of tech but I am concerned about resale since there isn't anything showing the Genesis having a decent resale. Definitely some pros and cons for both vehicles but I think we will stay with the 2022 RDX for the time being.
You are not the only one concerned about the Genesis resale value. Hard to say where it will be in a few years but for now many have concerns.

Genesis resale value?
pilozm (10-17-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 02:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

I’m not concerned about resale value in the slightest. But I am thoroughly enjoying the GV70 in ways the RDX could never rival. Speed, comfort, technology, luxury, it’s simply on another level. I like it so much I bought another one last week! Now I have a Mauna Red and a Vik Black one as well. 🤩
The following 5 users liked this post by SebringSilver:
EFR (10-11-2021), hand-filer (10-12-2021), pilozm (10-17-2021), RickRDX (10-11-2021), supafamous (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 10:23 PM
Racer

Resale value is never a concern......until you sell or trade.....
Old 10-12-2021, 12:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hans471
Nah, that’s just small-minded thinking. You don’t think about resale value when you order a Porterhouse steak, do you? You just enjoy the experience of eating that steak. Same as when you buy anything that you can derive pleasure from, whether that’s an Armani suit or a Patek Philippe watch. The vast majority of cars depreciate but if you had fun driving it for two or three years it’s well worth it.
hand-filer (10-12-2021), RickRDX (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Nah, that’s just small-minded thinking. You don’t think about resale value when you order a Porterhouse steak, do you? You just enjoy the experience of eating that steak. Same as when you buy anything that you can derive pleasure from, whether that’s an Armani suit or a Patek Philippe watch. The vast majority of cars depreciate but if you had fun driving it for two or three years it’s well worth it.
Agree, on the other hand I don't know about the US but here in Canada when you buy with financing a Toyota or Lexus the price is higher the interest is around 5-6 % and you pay the MSRP or more. So finally the difference is much narrower than you think.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
Yes in my case it worked out. I was able to trade my 18 month old RDX in for a reliable car without taking too bad of a hit.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:58 PM
Pro

I always am concerned about resale as I trade in my cars for new ones mostly. If the car takes a 60% depreciation or more in 3 years, I will pass on it. That is why I buy Acura's or Honda' usually for my daily drivers.s
Old 10-13-2021, 08:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Resale is always a concern. You are entitled to waste your money however you feel fit. Others may want to get slightly decent return on resale compared to other models. Genesis doesn't have a decent resale track record so I personally chose to pass based on that.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Resale is always a concern to me. You are entitled to spend your money however you feel fit. Others may want to get slightly decent return on resale compared to other models. Genesis doesn't have a decent resale track record so I personally chose to pass based on that. In fact, I would never buy an AMG, a Bentley, Range Rover, Maserati, Jaguar, and countless others simply because their resale values tend to be low, and I’ll simply ignore the fact that they do things no Honda or Toyota can do and that my mindset is most likely driven by my limited resources which probably isn’t true for many other people but yeah my OPINION is correct while your OPINION isn’t.
There, I fixed it for you.
hand-filer (10-13-2021), RickRDX (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Resale is always a concern. You are entitled to waste your money however you feel fit. Others may want to get slightly decent return on resale compared to other models. Genesis doesn't have a decent resale track record so I personally chose to pass based on that.
Lower resale is equivalent to a higher initial purchase price. Would you skip out on a car you really want just because it costs a little more if you had the means to pay for it?
hand-filer (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Everyone has a different level of financial health and financial risk they are willing to take. Some take financial risks that they probably shouldn't, others may be able to take any financial risk they want.

Prior to my 19 RDX Advance purchase, I had been desiring a "premium/Luxury" brand for quite some time. The Lexus RX had always been at the top of my list, but I had never driven one. Just because I wanted one, didn't mean it was the right choice for me. Then, finally, my finances told me it was the right time. I test drove the Lexus, along with many other brands, and was disappointed that the Lexus was not what I thought it was, and equipped like the RDX was WAY more expensive. The RDX Advance was at the top end of what I felt I could easily afford, (paid cash, $50k was about my top figure).

After my RDX was severely damaged in a rear-ender, I decided to replace it, but I decided not to replace it with another RDX due to many of issues that have been presented here. I would have kept it until the factory warranty expired, then seen what was available at that time. I am very interested in seeing what the '22 updates are like in real life. In the meantime, I am happily putting many trouble free miles on my '21 Lincoln Corsair. There are a few items I sometimes miss from the RDX, that were available on higher trim Corsairs (or as options) but the shortage of vehicle choices lead me to this one and I am very happy with it.

With all this said, I could not even consider a Genesis unless there was a dedicated Genesis dealer nearby, which there isn't...And I don't find them attractive either. Doesn't mean a Genesis isn't right for others.

They only wrong choice is the one you think is wrong, yet you do it anyway. This is why I will not buy a Hyundai or Genesis anytime in the near future, as I think it is a wrong choice for me.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 10-13-2021 at 10:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
hand-filer (10-13-2021), oblio98 (10-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone compare RDX to GV70?