2020 MDX Prices Paid

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by baseballmom94
I'm in the process of getting price quotes on a 2020 MDX AWD base. So far, the two lowest offers have been $37,281 and $37,525.

Is there room to negotiate here? Should I offer 35,000 including roof rails, cross bars, all weather mats, splash guards and extra key fobs?

There are at least 20 of these models in my preferred color within my metro area. I'm not in a hurry and can be patient.

I also have a 2008 MDX - should I negotiate trade after negotiating the deal, sell on our own or sell to Car Maxx?
Your situation is very similar to mine 6 months ago. I traded in 16 Base AWD at 65k miles for 20 Base AWD. They valued my 16 at $20k, and I loaned $15k at 4.5% APR, then paid off 2 weeks later. At the time, there was $4500 discount to take out the loan, and $2000 loyalty discount. I think it was a great deal because it only costs me $15k to drive it for 5 yrs, and avoided upcoming brakes, timing belt, battery service.
A week later, they listed my 16 for sale at $25k, I wonder how much they sold it for.

Stupid Carmax valued my 16 at $17k. There are 3 dealers in my area and I told me upfront my plan to trade and let them beat each other to earn my business. I was a SA for BMW 15 yrs ago, so I didn't play any games.

Last edited by nhhiep; 02-23-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:40 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 sh awd tech pkg mdx

I’ve got a quote of 43500 out the door for the 2020 Acura MDX TECH Pkg AWD. Good deal or can I do better in Atlanta?
Old 02-28-2021, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by serenemind
I’ve got a quote of 43500 out the door for the 2020 Acura MDX TECH Pkg AWD. Good deal or can I do better in Atlanta?
I don't know the tax and fees there, but the selling price for your car should be under 40k, including incentives
Old 03-01-2021, 07:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got an online quote for $5k off msrp on the 20 SHAWD Tech....with loyalty included(!).

It was the first exchange between the dealer and me, so likely reason why they did not quote much different from their website.

However if people were getting 10K off las year, I would think it would be more?? They and a lot of local dealers have a ton in stock.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Advanced

^ did you tell them you pay cash? there is a 4500 discount if you loan through them.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nhhiep
Your situation is very similar to mine 6 months ago. I traded in 16 Base AWD at 65k miles for 20 Base AWD. They valued my 16 at $20k, and I loaned $15k at 4.5% APR, then paid off 2 weeks later. At the time, there was $4500 discount to take out the loan, and $2000 loyalty discount. I think it was a great deal because it only costs me $15k to drive it for 5 yrs, and avoided upcoming brakes, timing belt, battery service.
A week later, they listed my 16 for sale at $25k, I wonder how much they sold it for.

Stupid Carmax valued my 16 at $17k. There are 3 dealers in my area and I told me upfront my plan to trade and let them beat each other to earn my business. I was a SA for BMW 15 yrs ago, so I didn't play any games.

Brakes probably costs me less than $100 for front and rears set and do them myself. Battery service? Maybe $120 max from Costco or any other local parts shops. Timing belt at 65k miles? Never heard of that. More like 90k-120k depending on manufacturer.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexH
Brakes probably costs me less than $100 for front and rears set and do them myself. Battery service? Maybe $120 max from Costco or any other local parts shops. Timing belt at 65k miles? Never heard of that. More like 90k-120k depending on manufacturer.
i get your pts. In my eyes, I paid $15k to rent the MDX for 5 yr 65k miles. not paying for any services. it's a great deal.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nhhiep
^ did you tell them you pay cash? there is a 4500 discount if you loan through them.
I did not discuss payment type although I had another dealer tell me it was another $5k off if i did standard financing loan at 4.9%.

A third dealer just sent me initial info "up to 10K off" on a base MDX with SHAWD.

BTW - doesnt seem to be many if any FWD ones available.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Integra2Pilot
I did not discuss payment type although I had another dealer tell me it was another $5k off if i did standard financing loan at 4.9%.

A third dealer just sent me initial info "up to 10K off" on a base MDX with SHAWD.

BTW - doesnt seem to be many if any FWD ones available.
it's at least 10k off , not up to, on a base model. expect better deals on higher trims. it sounds like now they up the loan discount to $5k to clear 20 models.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:53 AM
Intermediate

^ Yeah that's what I was thinking - people getting this price last year, and should be better now. Would 15k be out of the question? Would the dealer look at older build dates and clear them out first?
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Intermediate

Looks like the finance deals 0.9% remains for March but can get it to 72 months instead of just 36.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:10 PM
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
MDX purchased on 2/27/21

TLDR; Wanted a Highlander, "settled" for an MDX because I got it for $12K off MSRP.

I've been a lurker on various "prices paid" forums for years and they have been invaluable in helping me get outstanding prices and I feel that I should finally contribute. Here is my experience:

Starting on Wednesday of last week 2/24/21, I emailed (13) different Acura dealers closest to the MD/DC metro area. I used a throw-away gmail account and did not state a phone number in my initial queries (some dealer information request forms require a number, so I used (999)999-9999). I was very specific with what I wanted - trim level, color combination, etc. I also own a 2011 Honda, so this qualified me for the loyalty rebate. I did not qualify for military or recent grad, so I stated all this in my email. I mentioned that I do not have a trade, that I intend on financing using Acura financial services, my home address, and that I was ready to buy by the end of the month (which was quickly approaching). I was asking for the best OTD price which would include all dealer fees, MD taxes (6%) and MD registration fees. You need to be specific and include all details to avoid the unnecessary back and forth emails from the dealers asking you these questions which they need answers to in order to provide you their best deals. I also tell them point blank that I am emailing all the other dealers too.

I received replies from every dealer, some asking follow-up questions, but the majority giving automated BS replies with OTD prices $3000 below MSRP and asking if you would like to schedule a test drive, presentations, blah, blah, blah. I replied to each and every one and cut to the chase. I tell them that the only way I drive to their dealership is to sign sales agreement documents. I then tell them what price I want and let them come back to me. I did receive a few offers from the larger dealerships with "better" offers, but still 3-4K off my target of 25% off of MSRP before TTL. Once I knew I had a few interested dealers that were serious about making a sale I emailed them my phone number 2 days before the end of the month. I was initially interested in the SH-AWD with Tech package, but the dealers would not go as low as I wanted. They would for the SH-AWD Base, however. I'll tell you why. Simply supply and demand. I checked the dealer inventory online and found: (149) base mix of AWD and FWD, (53) Tech AWD, (7) Advance AWD, and (5) A-spec. Which do you think they want to discount heaviest? The trim levels with most supply and least demand, i.e. Base model. Makes sense. So I thought it over and decided that the only thing that I really wanted out of Tech package that I could not add myself was the Blind spot monitoring and so the spending 4K more did not make sense to me. Long story short, I purchased a 2020 MDX Base SH-AWD on the last day of Feb for $37,500 OTD from a dealer in VA. This includes 6% sales tax and tags and all dealers fees. OUT THE DOOR. MSRP of the vehicle was $47,500.

I'm not asking anyone on this forum if i got a good deal. I know I got a good deal. This was the 6th brand new car purchase of my life, and glad to say, the easiest, stress free car buying experience of my life. I was initially in the market for a 2021 Highlander limited or XSE, but I'm glad I looked at the MDXs cause for the price I paid, I would not have been able to touch a Highlander above the LE trim level. The tech may be a bit dated, but I'm all about value.

I'm also an avid DIY'er. I already purchased the OEM foglights, roof rails/crossbars, side moldings, and parking sensors online. I'll be installing my self. I can do a writeup/video if anyone is interested. I hope to post pictures soon.

Any Questions? Fire away.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hujozo:
Nick Le (05-13-2021), RamblerMDX (03-27-2021), Toby0115 (04-10-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal. Looks like you got about 25.8% off. Are you saying that dealers would not go to equivalent % amount? I agree - the best deals are on the most abundant. I see so many Base and Tech trims at all the dealers still.

Did you also wait until the very last day of the month forcing the sale?

Did you go with the financing incentives (standard finance)?
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hujozo
TLDR; Wanted a Highlander, "settled" for an MDX because I got it for $12K off MSRP.

I've been a lurker on various "prices paid" forums for years and they have been invaluable in helping me get outstanding prices and I feel that I should finally contribute. Here is my experience:

Starting on Wednesday of last week 2/24/21, I emailed (13) different Acura dealers closest to the MD/DC metro area. I used a throw-away gmail account and did not state a phone number in my initial queries (some dealer information request forms require a number, so I used (999)999-9999). I was very specific with what I wanted - trim level, color combination, etc. I also own a 2011 Honda, so this qualified me for the loyalty rebate. I did not qualify for military or recent grad, so I stated all this in my email. I mentioned that I do not have a trade, that I intend on financing using Acura financial services, my home address, and that I was ready to buy by the end of the month (which was quickly approaching). I was asking for the best OTD price which would include all dealer fees, MD taxes (6%) and MD registration fees. You need to be specific and include all details to avoid the unnecessary back and forth emails from the dealers asking you these questions which they need answers to in order to provide you their best deals. I also tell them point blank that I am emailing all the other dealers too.

I received replies from every dealer, some asking follow-up questions, but the majority giving automated BS replies with OTD prices $3000 below MSRP and asking if you would like to schedule a test drive, presentations, blah, blah, blah. I replied to each and every one and cut to the chase. I tell them that the only way I drive to their dealership is to sign sales agreement documents. I then tell them what price I want and let them come back to me. I did receive a few offers from the larger dealerships with "better" offers, but still 3-4K off my target of 25% off of MSRP before TTL. Once I knew I had a few interested dealers that were serious about making a sale I emailed them my phone number 2 days before the end of the month. I was initially interested in the SH-AWD with Tech package, but the dealers would not go as low as I wanted. They would for the SH-AWD Base, however. I'll tell you why. Simply supply and demand. I checked the dealer inventory online and found: (149) base mix of AWD and FWD, (53) Tech AWD, (7) Advance AWD, and (5) A-spec. Which do you think they want to discount heaviest? The trim levels with most supply and least demand, i.e. Base model. Makes sense. So I thought it over and decided that the only thing that I really wanted out of Tech package that I could not add myself was the Blind spot monitoring and so the spending 4K more did not make sense to me. Long story short, I purchased a 2020 MDX Base SH-AWD on the last day of Feb for $37,500 OTD from a dealer in VA. This includes 6% sales tax and tags and all dealers fees. OUT THE DOOR. MSRP of the vehicle was $47,500.

I'm not asking anyone on this forum if i got a good deal. I know I got a good deal. This was the 6th brand new car purchase of my life, and glad to say, the easiest, stress free car buying experience of my life. I was initially in the market for a 2021 Highlander limited or XSE, but I'm glad I looked at the MDXs cause for the price I paid, I would not have been able to touch a Highlander above the LE trim level. The tech may be a bit dated, but I'm all about value.

I'm also an avid DIY'er. I already purchased the OEM foglights, roof rails/crossbars, side moldings, and parking sensors online. I'll be installing my self. I can do a writeup/video if anyone is interested. I hope to post pictures soon.

Any Questions? Fire away.
Also, how much of the add ons cost? Are these the ones missing from the Tech pkg?
Old 03-05-2021, 11:11 PM
5th Gear

My plan was to see if any dealers were desperate enough to sell cars and meet any month end quotas by drastically dropping their prices. My offer for the AWD w/ Tech package was $41,000 OTD on a car with MSRP of 51,100. My offer for AWD base was $37,000 OTD. The best they were willing to go on the Tech package was $41000 before TTL which equates to about a 22% discount, but $43,460 OTD . The dealer told me straight up that they would be more willing to wheel and deal on the Base model, and countered with $37,500 OTD. I took it. I was not trying to force the sale and to be honest, I think I could have done a little better with more dickering and waiting. I knew very well with that huge inventory, I could wait until March, or even April and still get the color combination that I wanted.

I took the standard financing for the incentives, but with my excellent credit score, I qualified for a 2.74% rate over 60 months, which ain't too bad and I am not in a hurry to pay it off sooner, even though I probably will.

Regarding the add-ons, some of the stuff included in the tech package can be purchased and easily installed yourself, (assuming you have the time, DIY skills, and some basic tools), just don't get it from your local dealer. I've attached the price sheet and what they are asking is absurd. For instance, you can get the LED fog lights online for $540 shipped from acura.bernardiparts.com. The dealers "installed" price = $1333. So I "waste" a Saturday afternoon installing the lights with a six-pack of my favorite alcoholic beverage and Pink Floyd blasting in the background in order to save $800. I can think of worse ways to spend time. Of course, not every Tech package option is easily available for online purchase and install.

This list may not be 100% complete, I just pulled it from my head and did not research it thoroughly:

Tech package/advance package options that can be "easily" purchased and installed separately.
- heated steering wheel
- parking sensors (front and rear)
- remote start
- fog lights
- 20in wheels

Tech package options not available for separate installation:
- blind spot monitoring
- GPS controlled climate
- rain sensing wipers
- power folding side mirrors
- premium audio
- GPS (although with apple audio support, who needs this ancient GPS from 2007)
- perforated leather seat upgrade.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG.pdf (2.33 MB, 115 views)
Old 03-06-2021, 12:22 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Have you figured out if you can add rear door handle sensors on the base model?
Old 03-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

I took the standard financing for the incentives, but with my excellent credit score, I qualified for a 2.74% rate over 60 months, which ain't too bad and I am not in a hurry to pay it off sooner, even though I probably will.
Interesting that you got a better rate and maybe those with Excellent credit can get better than the 4.9% - that I assumed was set in stone even for the best customers in order to get the $4500 off. I assumed this rate for Acura to recover the amount lost.

Regarding the add-ons, some of the stuff included in the tech package can be purchased and easily installed yourself, (assuming you have the time, DIY skills, and some basic tools), just don't get it from your local dealer. I've attached the price sheet and what they are asking is absurd. For instance, you can get the LED fog lights online for $540 shipped from acura.bernardiparts.com. The dealers "installed" price = $1333. So I "waste" a Saturday afternoon installing the lights with a six-pack of my favorite alcoholic beverage and Pink Floyd blasting in the background in order to save $800. I can think of worse ways to spend time. Of course, not every Tech package option is easily available for online purchase and install.
Also a DIYer but worried about electrical causing issues, and that aftermarket will look out of place. Especially for resale. But wouldn't be selling for >10 years.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:14 PM
5th Gear

[QUOTE=Also a DIYer but worried about electrical causing issues, and that aftermarket will look out of place. Especially for resale. But wouldn't be selling for >10 years.[/QUOTE]

Aftermarket? Everything going on the vehicle is genuine OEM Honda/Acura. The LED fogs come standard on the MDX Advanced and A-spec models. 08V31-TZ5-200B. Check them out, they look fantastic in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Aftermarket? Everything going on the vehicle is genuine OEM Honda/Acura. The LED fogs come standard on the MDX Advanced and A-spec models. 08V31-TZ5-200B. Check them out, they look fantastic in my opinion.
They do look nice! I am assuming that all the cut-outs are there for these to be added-on on the Base? You have me thinking that Base is the way to go....I would think the Blind spot monitoring would be useful since I do not have it my current vehicles.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Are there stipulations to the standard financing? Do you need to hold the loan for certain length of time though Acura Finance, or can you refi right away with someone else?
Old 03-06-2021, 06:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there stipulations to the standard financing? Do you need to hold the loan for certain length of time though Acura Finance, or can you refi right away with someone else?
They tell you you need to finance it through Acura. When I pushed as to why they then told us to have it for a minimum of 90 days. I pressed further and they told me it was not required but I would not get the finance cash. There is some kick back to the dealer if you do keep it longer than 90 days though. I got my 2020 through Acura Finance at 2.9% which included the $5,500 finance cash incentive on 12/31. Our credit union had us approved for a new car loan at 1.9% but then we would have lost the finance cash. The lower interest loan would have actually cost us more by losing the finance cash. The credit union refi rate was the same as the Acura rate so we didn’t end up doing the refi.
The following users liked this post:
Integra2Pilot (03-06-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZitoMD
They tell you you need to finance it through Acura. When I pushed as to why they then told us to have it for a minimum of 90 days. I pressed further and they told me it was not required but I would not get the finance cash. There is some kick back to the dealer if you do keep it longer than 90 days though. I got my 2020 through Acura Finance at 2.9% which included the $5,500 finance cash incentive on 12/31. Our credit union had us approved for a new car loan at 1.9% but then we would have lost the finance cash. The lower interest loan would have actually cost us more by losing the finance cash. The credit union refi rate was the same as the Acura rate so we didn’t end up doing the refi.
2.9% is not bad. I have had some dealers say that it is 4.9% with perfect credit. Wonder if this a generalization as the avg person has "Good" credit scores, not necessarily Exceptional, or is this negotiable.

Seeing so many MDX still available could they increase this incentive during the month?
Old 03-06-2021, 07:45 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe you can pay off the car as soon as you take it. Finance guy told me they prefer you pay off in three months, but no charge of you pay it all off right away. Also if you look at the contract, it states no penalty if payed early.
Integra2Pilot (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:56 PM
Advanced

they give 5500 finance discount now? highest ever.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete1205
I believe you can pay off the car as soon as you take it. Finance guy told me they prefer you pay off in three months, but no charge of you pay it all off right away. Also if you look at the contract, it states no penalty if payed early.
I paid mine off as soon as I saw I had an account online with Acura Financial Services. Didn't even wait for the bill to come in the mail. Yeah, I may be shorting the dealership out of some cash. But keeping the loan three months as they "strongly suggested" multiples times, would have been interest on the loan at my expense. We're talking dealerships here. Not like they don't get there profits elsewhere (i.e. huge markup on parts and accessories and service).
Integra2Pilot (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Can you share what is the final deal you got? I am also searching for 2020 MDX SHAWD base model and the best offer so far is $39K OTD. We are in VA.

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for sharing the information, very helpful. I am also looking to purchase a MDX AWD base model. The best offer so far was $39K OTD. Would you mind sharing the dealer where you made the purchase, I am also in RIC/VA.

Thanks,
Old 03-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moose66
I paid mine off as soon as I saw I had an account online with Acura Financial Services. Didn't even wait for the bill to come in the mail. Yeah, I may be shorting the dealership out of some cash. But keeping the loan three months as they "strongly suggested" multiples times, would have been interest on the loan at my expense. We're talking dealerships here. Not like they don't get there profits elsewhere (i.e. huge markup on parts and accessories and service).
So I assume that you saw no penalty? I am not sure how they would enforce that.

I assume the same logic applies if you refinanced at another financial institution. I see that PenFed and other online places have loans iin the low 2's to refi.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RICMDXbase
Thanks for sharing the information, very helpful. I am also looking to purchase a MDX AWD base model. The best offer so far was $39K OTD. Would you mind sharing the dealer where you made the purchase, I am also in RIC/VA.

Thanks,
@Hujozo is reporting that 37.5K OTD on the Base.

How many are in your area? You may be able to get even better(?) Just checked Autotrader and there is over 500 MDX various trims mostly Base and Tech (no Hybrid) in a 75 mile radius of me.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:01 AM
5th Gear

Call or email John Pokrant at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly. (703) 371-5362 jpokrant@pohankaacura.net
Super nice guy.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

So I assume that you saw no penalty? I am not sure how they would enforce that.

I assume the same logic applies if you refinanced at another financial institution. I see that PenFed and other online places have loans iin the low 2's to refi.
I saw no penalty. This loan did not have any penalties associated with early payoff. Not all loans are written that way though. So best to check before paying off. I think the dealerships suspect that not all people will understand or let alone read their loan agreement to know what their actual rights are. Easy for them to say, yeah, you have to keep it 3 months which is not true in this case. The dealerships get kickbacks from Acura's Finance arm for as long as you are making payments.

Bottom line, read the loan agreement, and if you don't understand it, have someone with you who does. Same is true with any legal document.
Integra2Pilot (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Call or email John Pokrant at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly. (703) 371-5362 jpokrant@pohankaacura.net
Super nice guy.
I drove up from NC to buy at Pohanka in December. I had dealt with them before when I lived in NoVa, so I knew what to expect. They are a high volume Acura dealership. Busy on weekends, but it was easy to do my negotiating and preliminary paper online, which made the visit to the dealership less of a hassle.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are there any additional incentives for purchasing a 2020 MDX? I know $1500 loyalty still in effect as is the $5500 for financing through AFS. Has Acura come up with more money for dealers in March?

PS - will Pohanka ship out of state?

Thanks,
Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL
Are there any additional incentives for purchasing a 2020 MDX? I know $1500 loyalty still in effect as is the $5500 for financing through AFS. Has Acura come up with more money for dealers in March?

Thanks,
I think the other ones are Military and College program discounts, of you qualify.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nates NJTL

Thanks,
....and possible the front line workers discount. All are on the Acura Finance page.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
I'm not asking anyone on this forum if i got a good deal. I know I got a good deal. This was the 6th brand new car purchase of my life, and glad to say, the easiest, stress free car buying experience of my life.
After reading your detailed description of your approach, and then your follow-on posts about accessories, etc - I had to comment on the above, where you say it was the "easiest and stress free experience" of your life. My observation is that the amount of work you put in to reach out to so many dealers, determine what you'd settle for feature-wise, and calculate your bottom line took a fair amount of preparation and also a solid grounding on what your real goals were. I think when you get to it, the "stress free" part (in dealing with dealers) was the real benefit, since what you did wasn't necessarily "easy" :-)

My wife and I have bought cars (mostly new, some used) since the late 70's - probably nearly 30 cars combined between us. And what we have found is that while the price of the car can many times be the target most that's most sought after, the relationship with the dealer is what pays dividends over time. After decades of buying Chevys and Hondas and a few other brands, we bought our first Acura in late 1989 (a 1990 Integra), and started a relationship with our dealer in southern NH back then. Flash forward to today, 11 Acuras later, I can say it's not so much the vehicle that keeps us coming back as much as it is how the dealer treats us both from the sales side as well as the service and parts side. We've had two instances where we had non-repairable issues where the DEALER stepped in to move us to another vehicle with no financial hit. We get offered trade-in offers and new-car discounts WITHOUT NEGOTIATION that meet or exceed our expectations. We get quality service and always get free upgraded loaners. I get a standing discount on OEM parts FROM THE DEALER DIRECTLY that matches what I could buy them for online thru places like Bernardi and Curry. And whenever my wife or I walk into the door for any reason, they know our names and treat us well.

But that's just us. I could probably save a hundred buck or more by going into the northern MA area or look more broadly - but in the end my overall cost and experience would never be matched by my whole-life experience while I have the car. Maybe my dealer is the exception rather than the rule. And yeah, now that we're older (nearing retirement) having our b*tts kissed is preferable to saving a couple of bucks. :-)

Enjoy your new ride, and great work on your research and dealing!

andy
Krauthawk (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Do you know if there is/was a minimum for borrowing to receive the incentives?
Old 03-10-2021, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andysinnh
After reading your detailed description of your approach, and then your follow-on posts about accessories, etc - I had to comment on the above, where you say it was the "easiest and stress free experience" of your life. My observation is that the amount of work you put in to reach out to so many dealers, determine what you'd settle for feature-wise, and calculate your bottom line took a fair amount of preparation and also a solid grounding on what your real goals were. I think when you get to it, the "stress free" part (in dealing with dealers) was the real benefit, since what you did wasn't necessarily "easy" :-)

My wife and I have bought cars (mostly new, some used) since the late 70's - probably nearly 30 cars combined between us. And what we have found is that while the price of the car can many times be the target most that's most sought after, the relationship with the dealer is what pays dividends over time. After decades of buying Chevys and Hondas and a few other brands, we bought our first Acura in late 1989 (a 1990 Integra), and started a relationship with our dealer in southern NH back then. Flash forward to today, 11 Acuras later, I can say it's not so much the vehicle that keeps us coming back as much as it is how the dealer treats us both from the sales side as well as the service and parts side. We've had two instances where we had non-repairable issues where the DEALER stepped in to move us to another vehicle with no financial hit. We get offered trade-in offers and new-car discounts WITHOUT NEGOTIATION that meet or exceed our expectations. We get quality service and always get free upgraded loaners. I get a standing discount on OEM parts FROM THE DEALER DIRECTLY that matches what I could buy them for online thru places like Bernardi and Curry. And whenever my wife or I walk into the door for any reason, they know our names and treat us well.

But that's just us. I could probably save a hundred buck or more by going into the northern MA area or look more broadly - but in the end my overall cost and experience would never be matched by my whole-life experience while I have the car. Maybe my dealer is the exception rather than the rule. And yeah, now that we're older (nearing retirement) having our b*tts kissed is preferable to saving a couple of bucks. :-)

Enjoy your new ride, and great work on your research and dealing!

andy
There could be many factors for this. Your age being one of them. The older you get the money ons less of a concern, generally. Plus you many not have much choice if that is the case you want or trust. Some don't like conflict, avoid negotiation. And of course one persons "good price" is anothers "terrible price".

However you mention dealership experience...I find that a personal relationship happens at dealers in a smaller town with one dealer per brand. In larger metro areas there could be 10+ within a 75 mile radius and tend to be high volume outlets. I do like the service at my Honda dealer, as they know how to create an experience when you come for service. But do they remember my name? Heck no. They do so much volume that it would be impossible to. But they can offer a good price because of volume.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by okaye
Not sure about a minimum. But to get all of the available funds during the deal, you will not be allowed to use cash. Financing was the only way to get all of the available monies from Acura. You can however, trade in a vehicle as part of the transaction.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by okaye
I think there is a minimum always when you apply for any financing. Otherwise it may not be financially worth it for the lender. Might be worth calling the dealer to find out.

Quick Reply: 2020 MDX Prices Paid