Rear rattle/creak problem...with solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear rattle/creak problem...with solution

Hi everyone,

As you guys have heard me say many times, my 2009 TSX has been performing flawlessly since I purchased it. That being said, I did recently discover an annoying creaking/rattle noise coming from the back of the car. I was soon able to troubleshoot the problem and brought it to the attention of my dealership. If you look into the trunk (and I will try to post pictures for those who would like), close to where the back seat, there are few metal sheets welded together and these have been flexing and somewhat rubbing on each other making an annoying noise.

The dealership was able to identify exactly the spot where the problem is occuring through the tech calls and with a few welding spots, it solved the problem...for a few days but came back. I took it back and they have since worked on it more, re-inforced the metal part and the problem now seem to be completely gone...it sounds really tight. I'll give you guys update and post pictures and a detailed description of the work done once I have the workorder. I am posting here in case some of you have a similar problem, mine seems to be the only one they have seen at this dealership....

All I can say is I am sooooooooooooooo delighted by the level of service and professionalism from my delearship....UNBEATABLE SERVICE is so important.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for commenting on my thread as well. Mine only does this when there is serious bass playing on the system. It does not rattle with the sound off. (I will check again, as I always have sound on!).

Be really curious to see the pictures, thanks much!

Paul
Old 10-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Wow, a couple of us first gens had the exact same problem. There is a long thread around if you search. It took me 2 times to the dealership as well, making sure that I mention I've been there before for the same problem, and wondering outloud about how the lemon law works.

Its been fine ever since. That was about 65k miles ago.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

I had the exact same problem. Took it to the dealer and they took about 2 weeks to identify and fix the problem. Same as you, the fix involved welding a few spots. Had my car back for about a week now and haven't heard any more noises from the rear.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My car has been in the shop since last Wednesday for the same issue. They are also doing the trunk lock recall work and replacing a blown tweeter in the driver side door. I hope I get it back soon, this RDX loaner gets horrible gas mileage in comparison and I just plain miss my TSX.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Racer

26Shaun.....Funny you say that, I had an RDX for a loaner too while my TSX was in for repairs. Fun to drive (for an SUV) but horrible gas mileage is right!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Hey 09TSX I have some rattle noise coming from the back too....do yu mind posting some pictures so I can pin point where the location is....thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Racer

sunnytl....I'll try to post pictures very soon. I am at work today (for 12h) and won't be able to get anything done. But, if you open the trunk and look very deep (just behind where the seats rest) you will see metal parts welded together...turns out that there wasn't enough weld spots and the metal would flex and this would make an annoying creaking/rattle noise.....I'll try to posts them ASAP....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks 09TSX....I am going to take a look tonight....no rush posting pictures...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine ended up being a little different, they didn't have to weld anything at all. The service manager told me that there is a metal plate that goes along underneath the rear deck and it had shifted somehow. They simply removed the bolts, reseated the metal plate, and tightened it back down. I haven't heard the sound for three days now. Silence is beautiful.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Racer

26Shaun...Glad to hear your noise was fixed as well. I am not sure about you but rattles and creaks just drive me up the wall!! Mine hasn't come back either....
Old 12-12-2008, 02:42 AM
10th Gear

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have the same problem. 09TSX, I did not understand which metal parts tou are talking about. So I took these pictures. Can you show me the parts on them(If my photos are ok )

Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Geezus! What a puny sub we have, LOL. No wonder it goes pbbbtttt at higher volume!

Nothing to contribute here, carry on...sorry.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Through previous thread, I contacted the Roanake WV dealership that fixed another person's complaint. The tech said there are many mechanical fastners in the rear shelf of which he loosened up and retightend. The creeking sound went away. I like the idea of welding better. 09TSX, we have talked on my posting on this, can you advise of your dealer?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Racer

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I don't come on here as often I used to...that being said:

accord_tr: on the 1st and 3rd picture, you see the faulty item in question, or at least for me. Take the last picture for example, look where you see the carpet-like finish on the back of your seat. You see a white piece of metal that runs from left to right with little rises and dip throughout the width of the picture (8 of each)...that is the problem along with the two metal plates that are welded on either side of this...the metal bracket that has the top screw partially blocked by the plastic cabling running in front of it (the same on the other side). More weld spots were added to those and it has fixed my problem. I am surprised your dealership is not doing a tech call because that is how the dealership got their info on how to fix this problem...

Go for a test drive with someone, see if they can drive your car slowly and make turn where the car twist a bit and you sit in the back with one half of the backseat dropped down and try to listen to see if that is where the noise is from...I knew exactly where the problem was, I just didn't know how they were going to go about solving it...and they did....Let me know if I can do anything else...
Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 AM
10th Gear

Thank you very much 09TSX. I listened the noise in my car and I believe it is the same as yours. I have to go to the service every 10.000 km here in Turkey. My car is at 18.000 km now so I will go to the service in two weeks time. Explain them my problem hope they can fix it

I am surprised your dealership is not doing a tech call because that is how the dealership got their info on how to fix this problem...
Dealer mechanics here in Turkey understands nothing when it comes to small details like this. They only know to tighten some screws and think the problem solved. I have noises coming from dashboard and two dealers could not solve it(One of them even said they did not hear anything)
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by accord_tr
Dealer mechanics here in Turkey understands nothing when it comes to small details like this. They only know to tighten some screws and think the problem solved. I have noises coming from dashboard and two dealers could not solve it(One of them even said they did not hear anything)
Looks like its time for you to move to North America

*just teasing*
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 09TSX
Looks like its time for you to move to North America

*just teasing*
And have the 2.4 instead of 2.0