Interior lights (door, dome, vanity, etc) & license plate lights -> LED conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
There's a snake in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a high rate that you could blow out a fuse if you mod your interior lights? Im a little hesitant here...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Advanced

very nice I must do this soon the stock ihgts blow
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Thank you!!!

I just received my set of white LEDs as posted on page 1 of this thread (ordered on ebay). I just finished installing them all...took about 30 minutes total. Install was SUPER easy and no problems at all. The lights look GREAT! What a difference from stock lighting! I love my car even more now! Thanks for the detailed instructions to those that posted them!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced

I swapped in LEDs also.

However, when cranking the engine over, the interior lights (if still on) will flicker as the battery Voltage drops on each compression stroke of the engine. That creates a cheap image.

To avoid this, I've learned to turn the ignition key to the ON position and after about 2 seconds the interior lighting will dim out, then I go ahead and crank the engine to start.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kalmario
Is there a high rate that you could blow out a fuse if you mod your interior lights? Im a little hesitant here...
i think the only way you can blow a fuse is if you use a metal object to remove the bulbs. if you use plastic non conductive items to pull the light covers off and remove the old bulbs you should have no problems blowing fuses. i had no issues at all.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 PM
There's a snake in

Sounds reasonable, jayb082 (:
Old 03-21-2009, 03:33 PM
There's a snake in

Ordered all the LED's today from wardenjp from eBay. Cant wait! (:
Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kalmario
Ordered all the LED's today from wardenjp from eBay. Cant wait! (:
nice! that's who i ordered from as well. took a couple weeks to get them but well worth the wait! i still can't get over how sweet my car looks now with the new lights couldn't be happier!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
hey guys. new to forum, new to acura, and new to driving here
anyways. i was wondinerg..as i mentioned im new, (only 16 years old, turning 17 in less than a month!) do you guys think i should try and install the LED's by myself or have someone do it for me.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

oh! and im not sure what to get, because i do enjoy the blue light under the passenger side, but i dont konw if i shuld get blue lights for everything or use white ones, because i heard some white ones give off the blue effect?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ed_423
hey guys. new to forum, new to acura, and new to driving here
anyways. i was wondinerg..as i mentioned im new, (only 16 years old, turning 17 in less than a month!) do you guys think i should try and install the LED's by myself or have someone do it for me.
you can do it yourself. all you really need is a flathead screwdriver, cloth and just being careful taking out the covers. that's about it
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
There's a snake in

Originally Posted by jayb082
nice! that's who i ordered from as well. took a couple weeks to get them but well worth the wait! i still can't get over how sweet my car looks now with the new lights couldn't be happier!
How long did you have to wait exactly? I'm over here checking the USPS website every day to see where its at and the suspense is killing me!! It barely left Hong Kong yesterday!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone in the NYC area?

I'm about to order a full set of LEDs for the entire car, but some of them come in pairs when I only need one. (More specifically the trunk light and rear dome light)

I would like to sell the other one to someone from here.. save us both some cash and unneeded LEDs.

PS: the lights I will be buying are the same exact ones that manitou1 used, in post 4.

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 03-30-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
There's a snake in

Just got my package in today (finally!)!
Installation time was between 30-40 min b/c i was trying to be extra careful not to break anything or touch my flathead screwdriver to the metal components (possibly causing a blown fuse?) as well as taking before and after pics ;D
Im just waiting till night time hits so i can see these babies at night (:
PM me if you need any instructions/tips/help/feedback etc.

Order of difficulty from easiest to hardest (IMO) :
1. Vanity Mirrors x 4 (Easy as hell!)
2.Trunk x 1 (Easy!)
3.Rear dome lights x 1 (Easyish)
4. Front dome lights x 2 (A little hassle taking out plastic)
5. Doors x 4 (Only hard part is taking out the plastic cover)
6. License plate x 2 (Disconnecting power/light component from cover plastic takes awhile to fish out)
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

congratz! cant wait to see em pics!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

i too just bought a set from wardenjp on ebay. once i get them, i'll try and take pics of the installation (if i'm not too impatient hehe), but i can definitely take pics of the ending result!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also ordered from wardenjp over the weekend and got an email from him today saying he shipped it. Got everything but license plate and trunk. I'm hoping I get them soon!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
8th Gear

I also ordered from wardenjp, two sets - one white and one blue
I received the LEDs in 2 weeks (from HK to Europe/Romania) and all it's OK

note - I ordered the same 31 mm LED for rear dome as for front dome light and works perfectly

The blue LED near the front dome light and roof command can't be upgraded, it's soldened to the board
http://img.villagephotos.com/imageview.aspx?i=24828931
Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Ok I received the leds over the weekend and put them on. What a world of difference! They are way more brighter than the stocks, and look much better. Without the light covers, they are absolutely blinding. There was only one minor thing I didn't like, and it was the door lights. It didn't spread as much as I'd like, so it has a focused beam kind of look. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight to show what I mean.

The light covers were mostly easy to get off, as long as you know where to insert a thin flathead.

Last edited by risc; 05-07-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Trill

will these same bulbs work on the '04-'08 tsx as well?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:13 AM
10th Gear

well, i installed these lights about 3 days ago. i bought them from warden as well... if you are gonna buy them, here's my suggestion.. for the rear dome, just buy another front dome LED light...the one i bought doesn't fit for the rear doesn't fit, but the front dome fits there so just buy 3 of those...also, buy spares if you can...after 3 days, one of my license plate LEDs burned out! so disappointed and looks like i'm gonna have to order a new one.

i'll post pictures of the setup soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Instructor

The "bulb holder" for the door panels are horrendously designed... I had to replace one of the lights and the plastic bulb holder is now inside the door panel. I must've applied maybe 1-2 pounds of pressure to insert the bulb and the whole thing just goes inside. now i gotta somehow remove the door panel..wtf..
Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 PM
10th Gear

hey risc, i had the same problem with the first door panel i tried to replace...however, i didn't have to open the door panel, what you can do is try and maneuver it "surgeon-style" with two very small flat head screwdrivers, the same ones you use to remove all the other bulb panels...it takes some time and steady hands but i eventually got it out... the bulb holder screws and locks into the panel from the outside, so as long as you don't turn it, you should be able to pull the stock bulbs straight out and push the LED bulbs straight in... take your time cause it can get a bit frustrating using this surgeon method but you'll be able to do it if you stay patient...good luck!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Will the leds for a 2006 tsx work with a new 2009 or 2010. I ask this because I have 2006 now and in a year will upgrade to 2010 and want to keep and swap them in new car? thanks...
Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by onitsudo
hey risc, i had the same problem with the first door panel i tried to replace...however, i didn't have to open the door panel, what you can do is try and maneuver it "surgeon-style" with two very small flat head screwdrivers, the same ones you use to remove all the other bulb panels...it takes some time and steady hands but i eventually got it out... the bulb holder screws and locks into the panel from the outside, so as long as you don't turn it, you should be able to pull the stock bulbs straight out and push the LED bulbs straight in... take your time cause it can get a bit frustrating using this surgeon method but you'll be able to do it if you stay patient...good luck!
Yea, after my rant I went back to try and get it fixed. I used a needle nose plier and worked it slowly to bring it back out, and turned the bulb holder so that it "locks." But now the bulb doesnt turn on so I'm guessing I blew a fuse or the wiring is messed up... Oh well going to the dealer tomorrow for my A1 maintenence, gonna tell them about this.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
just have fun

not sure if anyone is interested in buying the rear map dome light 1pc 36mm 3175 High Power LED (HID White) Festoon Bulb...i ordered it and could not fit it in; some ppl on this forum has fitted the bulb by opening more the connectors. will sell for $3 plus shipping in US...just got it today.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Ok, so long story.. turns out I blew out a part. I think it happened when I was trying to put the door bulb panels back into place after it sunk inside. Well I went to the dealer to get it checked out. Well, the service tech comes back after awhile and asks me if I modified the car lights. I said yes and he tells me to put the original lights back and then come back because it has a high chance of voiding the warranty. So I went home, put on the stock lights and then came back to the dealer. After they inspect the car, they find out that a "multiplexing something" was blown and had to be replaced. For curiosity I ask him how much the part cost and he tells me it's $600(!!!) for the part alone.

Now, the service tech couldn't explain exactly how the "multiplexing something" was blown, but he said it might have been the led lights. Possibly different power draws or just incompatibility. Or it might have been me playing around with a metal plier coming in contact with the light bulb holder's metal contacts (which he didn't know about). He then explains to me that I should refrain from modifying my car, even if it's just lights because it could potentially cause problems, and could void the warranty.

In the end, I got it fixed under warranty, but I'm scared it might blow again. I have not put on the LEDs back on. So I guess my question is, can LED lights even do that kind of damage? Or was it because of me tinkering with the door panel bulb holder?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by risc
Ok, so long story.. turns out I blew out a part. I think it happened when I was trying to put the door bulb panels back into place after it sunk inside. Well I went to the dealer to get it checked out. Well, the service tech comes back after awhile and asks me if I modified the car lights. I said yes and he tells me to put the original lights back and then come back because it has a high chance of voiding the warranty. So I went home, put on the stock lights and then came back to the dealer. After they inspect the car, they find out that a "multiplexing something" was blown and had to be replaced. For curiosity I ask him how much the part cost and he tells me it's $600(!!!) for the part alone.

Now, the service tech couldn't explain exactly how the "multiplexing something" was blown, but he said it might have been the led lights. Possibly different power draws or just incompatibility. Or it might have been me playing around with a metal plier coming in contact with the light bulb holder's metal contacts (which he didn't know about). He then explains to me that I should refrain from modifying my car, even if it's just lights because it could potentially cause problems, and could void the warranty.

In the end, I got it fixed under warranty, but I'm scared it might blow again. I have not put on the LEDs back on. So I guess my question is, can LED lights even do that kind of damage? Or was it because of me tinkering with the door panel bulb holder?
No they shouldn't be able to but you might have shorted the system or part using the metal plyers,
I just used rubber gloves on my 1st gen.

Had the leds for almost 4 years now, and replaced them countless time for brighter so it must have been something with the pliers.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
No they shouldn't be able to but you might have shorted the system or part using the metal plyers,
I just used rubber gloves on my 1st gen.

Had the leds for almost 4 years now, and replaced them countless time for brighter so it must have been something with the pliers.
Ahh, ok cool. I will just use rubber gloves and be really careful when removing and installing the lights.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by manitou1
2rn roof rear map light I use
36mm 3175 High Power LED (HID White) Festoon Bulb
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1pc-3...d=p3911.c0.m14

Great post! However, this one does not work in my 2009 TSX. The same LED from the front is needed for the rear. This one pictured was a little to long and I tried to modify it but short of clipping the metal I just decided to get another one from the front.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AcuraFan82
I am looking at purchasing LED bulbs for my interior and I want to make sure I am ordering the right bulbs. I am going to order from Superbrightleds.com. Can someone help me out and confirm that these bulbs will fit for my 09 TSX.

For the doors:
I will be ordering WLED-x6 LED bulb Cool white wedge base bulb (194/168 type) - qty 4

For the vanity mirrors:
I will be ordering 3022-x4 Festoon bulb (30 x 10mm) -Cool White 3022-CW4 - qty 4

For the map lights and rear dome:
I will be ordering High Power 2-Led Festoon bulb - Cool White 3022-CWHP2 (30mm long) - qty 3

Will these bulbs work or will I need to order other bulbs? I am looking to have all cool white throughout the interior. Thanks in advance.
Does that bulb work for the vanity mirrors?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
5th Gear

i ordered from warden_jp and put most of the leds in except for the license plate. i started prying the long black plastic strip off but i couldn't tell how much force to use or what was holding it on. it almost looked like gooey adhesive.

the rest of the lights look very good except for the doors. i am using 161 168 194 Clear LED (Xenon White) Wedge Bulbs but they project a distinct ring of light (with a void in the center) on the inside of the covers. did i push them in far enough or order the wrong bulbs?
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by residue
i ordered from warden_jp and put most of the leds in except for the license plate. i started prying the long black plastic strip off but i couldn't tell how much force to use or what was holding it on. it almost looked like gooey adhesive.

the rest of the lights look very good except for the doors. i am using 161 168 194 Clear LED (Xenon White) Wedge Bulbs but they project a distinct ring of light (with a void in the center) on the inside of the covers. did i push them in far enough or order the wrong bulbs?
i did the same thing as you and have the same result with the doors. that ring is not exactly the best looking thing imo. are there alternative bulbs that we can use? anyone find any decent ones for the doors?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Wow, awesome help Manitou
Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soundneedle
Can't delete my prior post. Disregard and use this (updated costs).

Bought everything on ebay from warden_jp2002. Shipped fast (<1 wk) from hong kong. Total price (incl. shipping) was $54.56

Invoice:

Doors-
2pcs 161 168 194 Clear LED (Xenon White) Wedge Bulbs. 190249763454
(Qty 2, $3.00)

Vanity-
1pc 31mm Vanity 3 SMD LED (Xenon White) Fuse Bulb. 320295225429
(Qty 4, $9.96)

Map, front-
1pc 31mm 3022 3175 6 SMD LED (White) Festoon Bulb. 200251868417
(Qty 2, $16.00)

Map, rear-
1pc 36mm 3175 High Power LED (HID White) Festoon Bulb. 190250218939
(Qty 1, $4.00)

Trunk-
2pcs 168 194 Flank High Power LED (White) Wedge Bulb. 190249733573
(Qty 1, $6.50 - only 1 pc is necessary tho)

License Plate-
2pcs 168 194 Refractor 5 Power LED (White) Wedge Bulb. 200252212218.
(Qty 1, $8.30)

Subtotal: US $47.76
Shipping & handling: US $12.60
Total: US $60.36

(I had two separate orders. If you can consolidate everything into one, shipping would prob be discounted a cpl dollars more.)

Does those LED bulbs works on my 2006 TSX????

Last edited by azntl12; 12-11-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I just paid $58.26 shipped for everything. Seller stated no combined shipping so yeah. But i did get almost $5 dollars via bing cashback.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's my interior LEDs.
Oh and the last picture is my LED foglights.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow love your fog lights! Did you replace the whole fog lights or just the bulb? Where did you get them?

Thanks

Originally Posted by CU2MIKE
Here's my interior LEDs.
Oh and the last picture is my LED foglights.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

i only changed the bulb.
Same ebay seller that everyone gets it from, warden jp or something like that. or you can just search H11 LED on ebay.
they just look nice, and they are not very bright at all since the HID low beams are much brighter. they are nice to look at nonetheless.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

anyone know what kind of bulb is in our rear turn signals? sylvania auto guide says "921" but these are way too small..and i tried 7440 led's and it doesnt work either..?

Quick Reply: Interior lights (door, dome, vanity, etc) & license plate lights -> LED conversion