Transmission problems my TL wont go into reverse!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:50 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problems my TL wont go into reverse!!??

Sup... i have a 2002 acua tl s and recently my neiborhood wuz hit with alot of snow , which made a slow ride home.. long story short i ended up gettin stuck a lil bit and had to use the reverse and then dirve forward technique.... that helped me get out the snow but when i tried to put it in reverse.. she would not engage... you usually feel somthin wen shifitng into gear and i got no response from shifting into reverse.... despite that she still drives shift gears 1,2,3,4,5,but will not shift into reverse...D5 gets to blinking a lil as well.....what do u guys think i can do to fix this besides a tranny swap?? p.s i was not rough with her when it comes to shifing gears ... ill stop completly or wait for tire spin to stop before switching to any gear... doing that i still ended up burning out my reverse gear....PLease HELP
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
First things first, best to check into reason D5 light was blinking, a code should have been stored. You can't really make much headway into your diagnosis. until you check the codes. Also, a check of engine and transmission mounts, would be in order. Freeing a car stuck in the snow, using the back and forth rocking technique, can put considerable strain on the engine and trans. mounts. Seems odd, that the transmission shifts normally, in all forward gears, and you said, " p.s i was not rough with her when it comes to shifing gears ..." yet immediately after trying to get the car un-stuck, you had no reverse. Please report back after checking for codes. Our 2G (GLASS) transmissions, are NOT known for their durability, so it's entirely possible this Snow Incident may have pushed your's over the edge. I hope not!

Last edited by frankjnjr; 03-08-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: to correct NOT KNOWN for their durability
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 AM
8th Gear

ok Quick update ... i woke up this morning on regular schedule.. Started my girl up , let it get to tempeture so i can try and drive her... i get in everything seems normal on the dash.. until i try n drive her in reverse. I shift into reverse ... i get nothing, no grinding ,usually my idle goes down a lil letting me know shes n gear (i didnt get that) ,instead it seemed like she was stiil in neutral.. i kept patient and kept trying... i shifted to drive and i got a good response... she moved ... so i shifted back into reverse.. wait wait den finally i felt somthing... a lil movement as if she was ready to back up and the idle didthat thung it does letting me know i can reverse... and i did.. multiple times and then back to neutral.... I had to turn her off fro a sec and then retry ... and it worked smh... idk if the solienoids are clogged up , i dont need any more ATF in her she has enough... idk what to do now... and thanks frankjnjr for your reply !!! really appriciate it
Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
So, have you had a chance to check the codes yet?
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM
8th Gear

omw to do so now ...ill keep you posted on how she performed on the way there and back...