D4 much better than D5

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D4 much better than D5

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 3.2TL with 180k miles. Having just bought it, any suggestions for things I should get checked/replaced right off the bat?

The transmission definetly isn't in as bad shape as many others I've been reading/seeing on YouTube and here, but it's definetly not perfect.

When I drive in D5, I definetly get a bit of shaking/rough shifts from 2-3-4 gears. I also occasionally get a nasty grinding/crunching sound while accelerating in the 30 to 45 MPH range in highway traffic. I pretty consistently get these issues while driving D5. Strangely, I've noticed I feel almost none of these issues when I drive in D4. Don't feel rough shifts or anything. Any explanations for this?

Suggestions I should do to service my transmission? Worried about a fluid change since the fluid is not terrible but not great shape. I know that if changing the fluid causes the transmission to go bad, it was probably already screwed to begin with, but I really cannot afford a new transmission and just need another 5k miles or so on the car. Maybe I should just change 2 quarts?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Its a gamble either way, I'd lean toward a full 3x3 ATF replacement and hope for the best. That said, I do believe a new transmission is in your near future.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Had this same issue with mine a while ago. D4 disables torque converter lockup which is what's causing your shudder. I would drive around town in D4 then go to D5 on the highway above 65mph and I drove like that for almost a year without issue but finally go tired of it and swapped an AV6 into it.

I agree with horseshoez, you can try a 3X3 and it'll buy you some time(maybe) but the internal damage is done.

Last edited by Iggy; 03-10-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I stil don't feel the shuddering is too bad so hopefully my transmission isn't in too bad shape?

Definetly don't feel any slipping issues like I've been seeing in videos on YouTube.

Would D4 give worse gas mileage than D5?

And is doing a 3x3 risky given I have a high mileage transmission? I'd rather drive with bad fluid and get 5k more miles than do a 3x3 and then need to get a new transmission, even if long term damage is worse. I would junk the car if it came to needing a new transmission. No way financially its worth it, right?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
  • Driving around a city in D4 will not really change your fuel economy, however, if driving down the highway your mileage will definitely suffer.
  • It is unlikely doing a 3x3 will cause any damage or accelerate the internal wear; if anything, you may get a few more miles out of it.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
  • Driving around a city in D4 will not really change your fuel economy, however, if driving down the highway your mileage will definitely suffer.
  • It is unlikely doing a 3x3 will cause any damage or accelerate the internal wear; if anything, you may get a few more miles out of it.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhaskar Nyshadham
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 3.2TL with 180k miles. Having just bought it, any suggestions for things I should get checked/replaced right off the bat?

The transmission definetly isn't in as bad shape as many others I've been reading/seeing on YouTube and here, but it's definetly not perfect.

When I drive in D5, I definetly get a bit of shaking/rough shifts from 2-3-4 gears. I also occasionally get a nasty grinding/crunching sound while accelerating in the 30 to 45 MPH range in highway traffic. I pretty consistently get these issues while driving D5. Strangely, I've noticed I feel almost none of these issues when I drive in D4. Don't feel rough shifts or anything. Any explanations for this?

Suggestions I should do to service my transmission? Worried about a fluid change since the fluid is not terrible but not great shape. I know that if changing the fluid causes the transmission to go bad, it was probably already screwed to begin with, but I really cannot afford a new transmission and just need another 5k miles or so on the car. Maybe I should just change 2 quarts?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!
" I also get a nasty grinding/crunching sound ", In my opinion, a grinding/crunching sound, when shifting gears, would be an indication of a serious internal issue. If you should decide to do a drain and refill, be sure to check the MAGNET, located on the inside end of the transmission drain plug, for metal chips/shavings. Minute metal particles, on the magnet, are normal. Metal shavings or chips, are not. If metal shavings, or small chunks of metal are present on the magnet, I would be reluctant to drive the car at all, as a complete transmission failure, could occur at any time!
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
" I also get a nasty grinding/crunching sound ", In my opinion, a grinding/crunching sound, when shifting gears, would be an indication of a serious internal issue. If you should decide to do a drain and refill, be sure to check the MAGNET, located on the inside end of the transmission drain plug, for metal chips/shavings. Minute metal particles, on the magnet, are normal. Metal shavings or chips, are not. If metal shavings, or small chunks of metal are present on the magnet, I would be reluctant to drive the car at all, as a complete transmission failure, could occur at any time!
I wouldn't be "reluctant" to drive it, but I would be prepared for a transmission failure and avoid any long trips. If it's going to fail, it's going to fail. Just be ready to have someone pick you up and/or have the car transported during any trip you take.

That said, it is also likely that you'll have some indication it is getting worse. It's unlikely that the transmission will be fine one minute and fail the next.