Ticking TL. Video link.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021 | 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Ticking TL. Video link.

Hello everyone again. I was just trying to get a feel if this idle noise seems normal for my TL.

https://youtu.be/wAKX8TSvC2w

it seems to go away when you accelerate but it might just be speeding the noise up and drowns itself out. Sounds like it's coming right from the engine. Definitely appreciate the help from this group!

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2021 | 03:44 PM
Instructor

That is not normal.
Old 04-15-2021 | 03:47 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Davius
That is not normal.
yeah thats what I was thinking. Any remote idea what it even could be? I tried pinpointing where it's coming from but it literally sounds like right out from the top of the engine
Old 04-15-2021 | 03:56 PM
Instructor

I'm guessing you need to take a look at those valves and check the valve timing.

Edit: And hope it's not worse
Old 04-15-2021 | 03:59 PM
Cruisin'

I'm guessing you need to take a look at those valves and check the valve timing.

Edit: And hope it's not worse
I haven't had to work on a car in forever. I am pretty technical and could probably youtube some videos to figure how to check. Is it all that complicated?
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheekeman
I haven't had to work on a car in forever. I am pretty technical and could probably youtube some videos to figure how to check. Is it all that complicated?
In that case, I would call around and see if a mechanic will look at it for cheap before you open it up. A good trained ear is worth it. It's usually also worth the diagnostic fee to figure out an engine knock like that.
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

In that case, I would call around and see if a mechanic will look at it for cheap before you open it up. A good trained ear is worth it. It's usually also worth the diagnostic fee to figure out an engine knock like that.
yeah i have someone I can bring it too. I've been trying to do it on my own to see how much I can do. Just had to open up and fix that air/water mixing valve that was stuck and in the middle of fixing the evap canister but this seems a lot more of an issue. Hopefully it's not too big.
The following users liked this post:
Davius (04-15-2021)
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:47 PM
Unregistered Member

It's not engine knock. It could be a loose intake valve. Have you made sure it's not your purge control solenoid? That's a common ticker, but it's next to the brake master cylinder.

This is what rod knock sounds like in a J engine:
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Karanx7
It's not engine knock. It could be a loose intake valve. Have you made sure it's not your purge control solenoid? That's a common ticker, but it's next to the brake master cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPPxRH2xL4
Yeah definitely not the same sound in that video. I do have a code being thrown for the evap canister leak but I'm guessing it has nothing to do with this issue.

I haven't checked anything yet at all. Was just trying to check where I should start looking. I will look at those valves and see if I can find what's up. Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-15-2021 | 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Oh wait. Pardon my ignorance but it appears the purge solenoid is directly related to the evap system. Hmm. Might be onto something now. I'll dig some more in that direction now. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2021 | 05:11 PM
Cruisin'

Found the valve. Would that cause the actual clicking noise if it went bad? I guess I can run the far and feel the valve for any clicking. I assume there's no actual test for this valve. The hoses are all on fine. Also checked the hoses on the canister underneath and all are on also.