2015 TLX V6 transmission chirp/scrape noise

Old 10-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 TLX V6 transmission chirp/scrape noise

See YouTube video link below. I hear this noise when accelerating moderately from just under 25 mph, about 60 percent of the time.
Noise can be heard about 10 seconds in, and then again right before the end of the video.

Does anyone else have a V6 that does this?

Old 10-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX Advance V6 but could not identify the noise you were speaking about. Is it a click or groaning sound? Describe the sound so I know what I'm looking for.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crashmaster
I have a 2015 TLX Advance V6 but could not identify the noise you were speaking about. Is it a click or groaning sound? Describe the sound so I know what I'm looking for.
It sounds like a beep or a scrape. About 8 or so seconds from the beginning and then again right before the end.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robs252
It sounds like a beep or a scrape. About 8 or so seconds from the beginning and then again right before the end.
Ok, at 5 seconds and then again at 21 seconds.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I hear the beeps but not sure what they are. I have a 2015 V6 TLX and don't think I hear anything like that.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Check out TSB 17-027 - Warranty Extension: TLX Transmission Chirps During 3-4 Shift, Poor Shift Quality, or Engine Overheats Because of Defective ATF Warmer in the 2015 TSB thread.

Check the coolant in the radiator and reserve tank for ATF contamination, although not all cases of cross-contamination are visible and the ATF warmer will require inspection.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...letins-914607/

Last edited by EE4Life; 10-16-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Check out TSB 17-027 - Warranty Extension: TLX Transmission Chirps During 3-4 Shift, Poor Shift Quality, or Engine Overheats Because of Defective ATF Warmer in the 2015 TSB thread.

Check the coolant in the radiator and reserve tank for ATF contamination, although not all cases of cross-contamination are visible and the ATF warmer will require inspection.

my warmer is outside the date zone they describe I wonder if the TSB will still be considered?
Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Update:
they are ordering a new, made in 2017 replacement transmission. The first replacement transmission was a rebuilt unit, and they felt it probably didn’t have all the kinks worked out. So, this will be my second new transmission in 16,000 miles.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
This might be one of the reasons that Acura was #19 out of 27 on the latest Consumer Reports Reliability Ranking. But hey....we were one spot above Jeep!
The following users liked this post:
One4AL (08-02-2019)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Instructor

I’ll have to decide if I want to keep a car that has only 16,000 miles and the transmission has been replaced twice.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Robs252
Update:
they are ordering a new, made in 2017 replacement transmission. The first replacement transmission was a rebuilt unit, and they felt it probably didn’t have all the kinks worked out. So, this will be my second new transmission in 16,000 miles.
Oh wow. So the noise you were hearing was on a re-built tranny? I didn't know that. Good luck. Most people seem to have had good luck with a new transmission, so hopefully you do, too. I'm still running around on the original garbage transmission that came with my 2015 hoping the damn thing tears itself apart. lol.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have just started experiencing the exact same noise as in your video at the exact same speeds and RPM. 33k miles on a 2015 TLX V6 with SH-AWD. I noted I needed to add coolant to the recovery tank recently when normally not much if any as been needed.

My transmission will be diagnosed next week but I suspect based on the TSB above that there may be cross contamination as well.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flybyglass
I have just started experiencing the exact same noise as in your video at the exact same speeds and RPM. 33k miles on a 2015 TLX V6 with SH-AWD. I noted I needed to add coolant to the recovery tank recently when normally not much if any as been needed.

My transmission will be diagnosed next week but I suspect based on the TSB above that there may be cross contamination as well.
Yeah, you’ll probably get a new transmission. I’d take a video like did and show it to them. That helped my case a lot
Old 08-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced

I plan on it. My Acura has always been good to work with and they know I am fully aware of the TSB's published on this issue. As in the video the speed and RPM match my experience and that was in the description to my dealer when I called. Thank you for posting.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced

Ok well step one was checking and replacing the transmission cooler. The original built in 11/2014 passed pressure tests and no cross contamination was found in the Anti-Freeze or Transmission oil. Confirmed with tech when I drove them of the existence of the sound and used the video as an example of te exact symptom. Next step is the Dealer tech will open a tech support ticket with Acura (forwarding the video clip) to see if they can positively identify the issue. I advised them in the video case a new transmission was the cure but we shall see. Initial impressions were something pressure related within the transmission. I could speculate all day on that. At least my dealer is taking the position that they want to follow-up to find the cause and not just ignore it as "don't worry above it". My concerns were are we trending toward a component failure within the transmission or is it something else?
Old 08-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Some Guy Who Loves Cars

Received 280 Likes on 173 Posts
Page 2 of your TSB is crystal clear. It doesn’t get any easier to read than a flow chart. Your coolant and warmer passed. Step 2 is either replace the transmission or, if you had it overheat, replace the engine and transmission. There should be no more diagnostics or disassembly or discussions. You had the problem and caught it on video, thank goodness, or your dealer might give you a hard time about being unable to replicate it.

See, this happened when I went in for the 2-3 hard shift TSB. Thing jerked me around like a Tilt-a-Whirl. Left it with the dealer. Called after an hour saying it felt fine to them. I said try it in stop and go traffic. Called after an hour saying it felt fine to them. I said c’mon guys, how about keep it overnight and try it with cold fluids. Called next morning saying they can’t get snapshots. I said my car does not shift normally and to let the ACC accelerate for you. Called and said oh yeah that is bad and we already ordered your replacement. I know other owners aren’t as lucky as me and still live with the original ZF9 thanks to their dealers.

These TSBs exist to help dealers diagnose common problems described by multiple owners. There should be no beating around the bush. If you experience either the 2-3 hard shift or the 3-4 chirping problem, dealer should go straight to the repair: replace transmission per the TSB. It’s that simple.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Update#2

New transmission scheduled in a couple weeks.

Fingers crossed!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Transmission replaced with a 1/2019 build and world of difference. First, the experience of replacement was painless with my dealer. They needed to go drive it get a data snap shot when chirping. It did and Acura said replacement on the way. In the interim I was given a 2019 TLX FWD Advance (mine is a 2015 AWD Advance). The 2019 was smooth as anything compared to my 2015. Never really knew how big a difference until I drove the 2019. My new transmission shifts just as smooth. The first few minutes it acted odd shifting but it was learning and it quickly smoothed out to what I consider a normal shifting pattern. (I drive in Sport mode). Tested all IDS settings and all works as advertised. Even though in my case no transmission/Coolant mixed I still elected to flush the calling system as a precaution.
someguy11 (09-03-2019)
Old 02-18-2020, 10:07 AM
Styl1n

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts
Hey Guys, so I'm taking my Aspec in tomorrow. I have whining and chrips from my transmission between 3-4k rpm while shifting and I noticed harsh up and downshifting and on top of the transmission where the fill plug is located it is dirty with fluid that has leaked. Only have 22k miles on it and I thought the 18’s didn’t have any tranny issue but guess I was wrong lol
Old 02-11-2021, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life

the dealership I took it to never inspected the atf warmer. They said they drove the car and then checked the Fluids and that was it. So now they are telling me I don’t qualify for the extended warranty. Wondering if I should take it somewhere else
Old 02-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Go to another dealership. If there are none around then bring it again. You keep going back they'll look at it eventually. I went in 4 times regarding rough shifts.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:21 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by flybyglass
Transmission replaced with a 1/2019 build and world of difference. First, the experience of replacement was painless with my dealer. They needed to go drive it get a data snap shot when chirping. It did and Acura said replacement on the way. In the interim I was given a 2019 TLX FWD Advance (mine is a 2015 AWD Advance). The 2019 was smooth as anything compared to my 2015. Never really knew how big a difference until I drove the 2019. My new transmission shifts just as smooth. The first few minutes it acted odd shifting but it was learning and it quickly smoothed out to what I consider a normal shifting pattern. (I drive in Sport mode). Tested all IDS settings and all works as advertised. Even though in my case no transmission/Coolant mixed I still elected to flush the calling system as a precaution.
so they replaced your transmission without signs of coolant/transmission fluid contamination? the dealership I took it to said they can’t do anything unless they see contamination which to my understanding could be very hard to see with the naked eye. Just need some insight on what my next move should be. I have it at a transmission shop for them to do the proper tests on the car right now but I’m suspecting the dealership will still try to deny any responsibility unless they physically see the contamination.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by dezymond
Go to another dealership. If there are none around then bring it again. You keep going back they'll look at it eventually. I went in 4 times regarding rough shifts.

Will do. Did they pressure test your atf warmer? I’ve taken the car to a transmission shop so hopefully they do the proper tests on the vehicle
Old 02-20-2021, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Tilley
Will do. Did they pressure test your atf warmer? I’ve taken the car to a transmission shop so hopefully they do the proper tests on the vehicle
Don't remember. I just know they took off the ATF warmer itself my last visit and there was coolant in there.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin Tilley
so they replaced your transmission without signs of coolant/transmission fluid contamination? the dealership I took it to said they can’t do anything unless they see contamination which to my understanding could be very hard to see with the naked eye. Just need some insight on what my next move should be. I have it at a transmission shop for them to do the proper tests on the car right now but I’m suspecting the dealership will still try to deny any responsibility unless they physically see the contamination.
Did the acura step up and cover the new transmission? I'm going through the same thing, the transmission on my 2015 TLX 72k miles has gone up. There was no signs of collant/transmission fluid contamination so acura is pushing back on the extended warranty. My vehicle has the chirping noise and poor shift quallity. I'm also just outside the 70k mile powertrain warranty.

I'm hoping acura steps up, the transmision shoudl not go up at 72k miles.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by greg123
Did the acura step up and cover the new transmission? I'm going through the same thing, the transmission on my 2015 TLX 72k miles has gone up. There was no signs of collant/transmission fluid contamination so acura is pushing back on the extended warranty. My vehicle has the chirping noise and poor shift quallity. I'm also just outside the 70k mile powertrain warranty.

I'm hoping acura steps up, the transmision shoudl not go up at 72k miles.
I hope you didn't give up on having Honda stand behind their product. I recently had my ZF9 replaced in my 2016 MDX. No ATF warmer leaks, but I had the 3-4 chirp and poor shift quality. Honda agreed to cover 90% of the cost. My out of pocket was $600. This was an extreme showing of goodwill, and I consider myself very lucky to have had a dealership stand up for me with AHM. Any update on your TLX?
Jim2301 (01-24-2024)
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

I just had the chirp happen to me, at 112k miles. Thought at first it was belt squeal but then noticed it kept happening at a specific rpm and speed. I put it in sport+ to manually shift and was able to confirm it was only between 3-4 shift. Then I looked at my coolant reservoir and it was dark brown.

I recently had my water pump changed and so I know my coolant was crystal (blue) clear. I will be making an appointment ASAP.

Thanks for the reference to the TSB, it seems pretty straightforward. Temp on the coolant has seemed normal so I think I’m only in line for a new transmission and radiator, not a new engine. I am supposed to be inspected for the recall on the crankshaft. Maybe they’ll just do it all in one go.