2nd Gen power steering questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020 | 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Lightbulb 2nd Gen power steering questions?

So, my question is what unforeseen issues will arise if I put High Pressure quick connect fittings in my power steering hose? I've got a small pinhole that is due to turn into Old Faithful if I don't take care of it in the next day or two. I have a 2002 TL type S and it's my daily driver/ only mode of transportation. I have found a high-pressure hose online for a decent price, however, payday is next Friday and that is not something I am willing to chance. Doing a little outside the box thinking and came up with high-pressure fittings where the hole is. Sounds like it would work at least till I can order my part, any suggestions? Any recommendations? Anyone do this before? Oh, and what is the PSI of that system?
Old 01-20-2020 | 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Depends on where the hole is I guess. From what I've read, the hose is a real PITB to get in/out. most people use a line tied to the pump end when taking out the old to create a path for the new one to get in.

Did you look up on rock auto the price for a new hose? someone here recently changed their hose ( you can probably find the thread in the problems and fixes area) and I doubt it was very expensive.

I found the link actually...

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...estion-984769/

the hose is $60.
The following users liked this post:
NewSpooner! (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020 | 08:09 PM
Cruisin'

What a blanking, blank blank!

Why? It’s a fair question. They didn’t have to make it that difficult, they did it on purpose so we have to take our cars to the dealership. After two days, and lots of curse words it’s done. The two days part is no fault of job being done, nope, that’s all on O’rielys! “Here’s your part, hey thanks have a nice day!” 3-4 hours later, you had one job, just sale me the correct parts for my car. Anyways, it’s all done and car turns as usual, no leaks, and managed to change oil and filter, both mobile 1, full synthetic, and the PVC valve. I will say one thing, I think the Mobil 1 full synthetic may have made it a touch.... “Boggier” I may flush it next week and go with something else, any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2020 | 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't think they make it difficult so you have to take it to the dealership. it's just a part that should rarely need to be changed. I've never had to change mine. (knocks on wood).
Old 01-22-2020 | 09:29 AM
USAF Veteran

Did mine a few weeks ago. Mine is not an S so the connection to the rack is different. Mine was a total pain.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about O'Reillys. Did they sell you the wrong hose?
Old 01-23-2020 | 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

The simple answer, yes, yes they did.

They sold me the hose for the TL/p not my TL/s completely different fittings at one end. They told me how sorry they were and if I put my car back together and drive it up there just ask for so and so and they would take care of me. Lies, complete and total lies. After all that, my hose was 5 extra dollars, and he waited patently for me to get it outta my car, finished up and says 5.50! I was like you just told me 5, he says sorry man taxes! I will never use these guys ever, ever again!
Old 01-23-2020 | 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Ouch. A good note to always check the part online to see it matches your vehicle. I had the same problem with spark plugs, they gave me the plugs to the premium model when I have a type S. not a show stopper like your problem, but it did help me realize that a) sometimes it's best you do a job yourself and b) always double check what others are suggesting.
Old 01-24-2020 | 10:02 AM
Cruisin'

10-4 on that, you grow up thinking these guys know everything about all cars, and at some point that changes to please may I speak with your manager. Totally my fault for not checking the part number myself though, it’s AutoZone for me from now on though. next on the list cleaning solenoid screen filters, and making my stock sub..... work plus, my TL is missing the coolant overflow bottle so a coolant/radiator/block flush sounds like an amazing weekend to me! I appreciate everyone’s candor, and general know how, this wouldn’t work as easy without y’all!