2006 RL & Apple iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 RL & Apple iPhone

OK...I have not seen a thread on this so I will state what I know.

I recently purchased the 8GB Apple iPhone and got rid of my Treo 700w with Verizon. As far as how the iPhone works with my RL, here is what I have found:

- I was able to successfully pair my Apple iPhone with my RL via Bluetooth.
- I have not been able to connect the Acuralink with the iPhone YET. I have to find out how to do this first.
- When connected via Bluetooth, I can see both signal strength and battery life.
- Some people have complained about phone call quality (especially since I had to switch from Verizon Wireless to AT&T/Cingular) but I do not think it is related to the RL.
- I tried connecting the dock connector on my iPhone to my iPod link (dealer installed) and it DID NOT WORK. A message comes on the iPhone screen stating that the accessory is connected but not compatible.

I hope that this information helps you out. I will post more information as it comes up.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Intermediate

See post #8 of this thread regarding iPhone & AcuraLink.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4236
Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You gave up The Network? Gasp. I can see why you gave up the 700w, though....the Treo is much better suited for the POS and the 700p works fine for me.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plushter,

Could you update us with you experience with making and receiving calls via the HFL? Do all the voice commands work? Does phone stay connected all the time?

I read on the apple forums that folks were having issues with the Audi's and BMW's handsfree systems...

Originally Posted by plushter77
OK...I have not seen a thread on this so I will state what I know.

I recently purchased the 8GB Apple iPhone and got rid of my Treo 700w with Verizon. As far as how the iPhone works with my RL, here is what I have found:

- I was able to successfully pair my Apple iPhone with my RL via Bluetooth.
- I have not been able to connect the Acuralink with the iPhone YET. I have to find out how to do this first.
- When connected via Bluetooth, I can see both signal strength and battery life.
- Some people have complained about phone call quality (especially since I had to switch from Verizon Wireless to AT&T/Cingular) but I do not think it is related to the RL.
- I tried connecting the dock connector on my iPhone to my iPod link (dealer installed) and it DID NOT WORK. A message comes on the iPhone screen stating that the accessory is connected but not compatible.

I hope that this information helps you out. I will post more information as it comes up.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Intermediate

No troubles to report between my iPhone and '07 RL - voice commands are good, Bluetooth connection doesn't drop. Signal strength & battery reported just like plushter77 mentioned.

Much better than the frustration I experienced with the RAZR v3xx (but I do miss the 3G capability).
Old 07-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Cruisin'

My iPhone bluetooth RL experience - not great; any other feedback?

Here's my experience with the 8gb iPhone and Bluetooth. I'm wondering if I have a faulty piece of hardware so anyone else using iPhone w/ an '06 RL's comments would be VERY welcomed:

1) YES the iPhone pairs painlessly with the bluetooth in the RL

2) When I make a call, the iPhone says it's connected to the bluetooth, but the RL does not recognize the connection. So here's what happens:
a) i dial a number. Phone says it's on bluetooth. car does not recognize.
b) the number rings. phone still says it's on bluetooh. car does not recognize.
c) someone picks up, or the call goes to voicemail. the phone goes OFF bluetooth.
d) I hit the "bluetooth" button again on the phone, and NOW the car recognizes the bluetooth and i can talk via bluetooth using the phone. But I always have to manually re-initiate the connection, and i can only do so after the call recipient picks up the phone.

3) When I receive a call, about 25% of the time the car's bluetooth system will ring the phone on the speakers, but 100% of the time when I pick up the call, the bluetooth disconnects.

Anyone having similar issues, or do I have a faulty bluetooth device in my RL?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear

We just bought an 06 RL. Our iPhone works perfectly with the RL. All features listed works as advertised.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both mine and wife's iPhones work perfectly with our RL.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

iPhone & RL - are you *sure* it's working 100%???

Thanks for the responses. For those of you that say your iPhone is working perfectly with your RL, could you try 2 things:

1) are you able to check your VM on bluetooth? (I am not)

2) when you are making a call, my iPhone defaults to handsfree. However, once the call connects, it always goes off bluetooth, and I have to press the handsfree button again.

I've tried it on the RL and on an '07 MDX and I had the same problems on both vehicles.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Racer

Smile

Well.. I finally got my iPhone...

It paried immediately with my 06 RL and all features work fine... I can send and receive calls without any issues.

I also connected the iPhone to my USASpec adapted and the iPod function worked.. Music played through the system just like a regular iPod. When I got an incoming call, the iPod paused and the call came through... at the end of the call the iPod resumed playing...

I am really happy with this phone... Its the best I have had till date...

Old 08-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Yes, but...

Could anyone try the specific things I listed above and confirm they are working for you? Namely, checking VM on Bluetooth and dialing a call from the phone- does it stay on Bluetooth once it connects or does it revert back to the handset?

Neither of these work for me... On 2 different Acuras.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Instructor

how is att compared to ya'lls other provider? Thinking about switching from nextel to get the iphone.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DROdio
Could anyone try the specific things I listed above and confirm they are working for you? Namely, checking VM on Bluetooth and dialing a call from the phone- does it stay on Bluetooth once it connects or does it revert back to the handset?

Neither of these work for me... On 2 different Acuras.
1. I have not tried VM on Bluetooth..

2. My iPhone stays connected to HFL once paired and does not disconnect..

Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

Firmware 1.1.1

We upgraded to the new firmware and we can no longer answer or make calls.
Beware of upgrading to the new firmware !!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oxford8
After the firmware upgrade you'll probably need to delete the old phone from the RL and then pair the phone from scratch.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oxford8
That plus the fun I'm having with all my installer.app native apps will keep me at v1.0.2 for the forseeable future. For me, the utility these apps gives me far outweighs the improvements listed for v1.1.1; I get the "hackability" and customizability of my old Treo 650 with a far more stable OS and more elegant user interface and industrial design. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

I put 1.1.1 on my iPhone and haven't had any problems with the HFL - no need to delete and re-pair. But mine wasn't hacked - I was too worried about bricking it...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear

Re-Pairing

Well re-pairing the phone seems to have corrected the issues with 1.1.1.
Sorry for the snap post
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
2nd Gear

Pairing iPhone

I have tried to pair my iPhone also. It worked fine when I purchased my iPhone in July but since the 1.1.1 upgrade, it cannot recognize the phone. I did a complete delete of all phones and a system reset in the car. When I go through the phone setup, pair process I get all the way to "please name your phone" upon which it just beeps and disconnects. When I go to list phones, it says "no phones found". I've tried the WiFi off and no difference. Any help appreciated.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

Here is a dinger for you.

Try this.

I have RL 2005 I know wrong area but this is the only close I can get on this forum.

Anyways I go through the motions of pairing my iphone. I get to the part where she asked me what do you want to name your device I hit the button I say what I want to call it and it just goes away and doesn't pair my phone. It shows up and everything it's just the last part where you name it and it's like it never happened. Any ideas, would love to hear some.

THank you