Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brake Squeal

Hi gang- I am hoping for some quick help.

2006 TL, 95K miles, 6MT, Brembo brakes.

Putting on 4th set of pads. Only pads that have never squealed are the original from the dealer, then again when I put on a set of pads from dealer. I have put on others and they squeal like a cut pigs. So I removed them.

Local garage just put on a set of NAPA Akebono about a month ago. They seem to work well except when cold. Then the squeal terribly. Warm up and they are fine. Drove through parking garage over weekend with wife. Brakes made so much noise she was mad.

Garage that put on the pads seems cool about it. They took it out today and could not hear a squeal. As I was driving away from picking it up (in reverse, don't know if that matters) made a really loud squeal. They offered to put on Weber (?) either base or ceramic pads.

Any ideas that I can pass along? What am I missing??

Thanks- Travis
Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ManyHobbies
Hi gang- I am hoping for some quick help.

2006 TL, 95K miles, 6MT, Brembo brakes.

Putting on 4th set of pads. Only pads that have never squealed are the original from the dealer, then again when I put on a set of pads from dealer. I have put on others and they squeal like a cut pigs. So I removed them.

Local garage just put on a set of NAPA Akebono about a month ago. They seem to work well except when cold. Then the squeal terribly. Warm up and they are fine. Drove through parking garage over weekend with wife. Brakes made so much noise she was mad.

Garage that put on the pads seems cool about it. They took it out today and could not hear a squeal. As I was driving away from picking it up (in reverse, don't know if that matters) made a really loud squeal. They offered to put on Weber (?) either base or ceramic pads.

Any ideas that I can pass along? What am I missing??

Thanks- Travis
Squeel in reverse is absolutely normal and I dont consider that to be able to be compared to noise of brakes during normal forward use. I have the ceramic CMax from auto zone. Sometimes they make noise but theyve gottwn quiter over the miles and I have had way worse pads on other cars.

For me this car doesnt do it much, but many cars I have had will make a squeek in reverse. Maybe its because I do a little reversing every day and so that little lip doesnt develop that on the backwards turn it catches and makes a little noise. Now if you dont ever reverse and then do it and it squeels no surprise. But if its doing it every time and you have noise in drive then its probably the pads.

There are many variables to whats causing noise in quality of pads and rotors and how they are used. Plus outside environment like dirt and ive had stuff get stuck in brakes before. Best of luck, look up reverse brake noise and it will explain it better than I can.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
When switching pads on the same rotors, sanding the rotors to get the old pad material off usually helps.

Also, I assume you did the recommended "bed-in" procedure?