How come the new RL is not selling that well? What would you like to see changed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yep, Nissan is a great example of platform engineering. To the Altima and Maxima, you can also add the Murano and the Quest, all built on the large front wheel drive platform.

Honda has used the mid sized global platform well also, with the USDM Accord, TL and RL, which is why the RL is a FWD car first, with AWD added.

You wonder if they could have taken the original 2G Legend platform concept a lot further. With its longitudinal V-6, it would seem to be convenient to graft on the RWD portion, or to make it a RWD car all together, but doing that in 1990 would have been too radical a step for Honda. It may be too radical now
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TL needs a major step up

V8 is the way to go. Acura needs to compete with Lexus and BMW or be left behind. The styling Q's should be from mercedes. They are the only cars that look substantial these days. The TL looks great but is again front wheel drive. 360 horsepower or more will get Acura where it needs to be.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
If you parked next to an Altima and thought it was a G35, then a trip to the optometrist may be in order

Accord US, Accord EU/JP, TSX, TL, and RL are all based on the same FWD platform. RL may have AWD, but it is still a FWD car that has AWD added.

Altima and Maxima are based on FF-L platform (front wheel drive).
Z, M, FX, and G are based on FM platform (RWD).

So no, the G is not an Altima and an M is not a Maxima...they are totally separate platforms.
Nissan needs to go to the optometrist their cars look like garbage until you step up above this model. Take one look at my TL and anyone can see there is no comparison. Those cars are the same in terms of appeal to me.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Styling is subjective...

The new G35 appeals more to me than the TL did.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:26 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
So what if the RL shares a similar platform as the Accord. Sharing platforms is not the same as badge engineering (i.e. Cavalier/Cimmaron, Regal/Cutlass, etc.).

The RL is not a stretched Accord, but part of it's platform is shared witht he Accord. Big difference as opposed to how the I35 was a facelifted Maxima, The TL is a revised Accord, and the ES being a revised Camry.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:33 PM

If you parked next to an Altima and thought it was a G35, then a trip to the optometrist may be in order
The same optometrist should be visited by those that think the RL looks like the Accord.

Sure there might be familial cues, but the same can be said of Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti as well.

As for the Infiniti design. While I respect the M, I had no interest in buying one. The exterior didn't seem to flow for me, as it did with the GS and the RL. From an exterior perspective, the GS is still my favorite of the three. The interior of the M is nice, but I just "felt" more comfortable in the RL, and GS. As you said, styling is subjective, otherwise we all would be driving the same thing.

I definitely was not a big fan of the 1st gen G, but I have to admit that the redesigned model is pretty sharp, and if it had been around a year ago, I might have been compelled to look at one. It's amazing to me how subtle stying enhancements can change a person's opinion of a car.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I never said the RL resembled the Accord, and agree that someone who mistakens one for the other at any reasonable range needs to see the optometrist.

I think there is confusion over terminology...the Accord is conservative. The RL is conservative. They are differently styled, but both are styled conservatively.

Same can be said for the G/altima and M/Maxima...but when someone says that they thought a new Altima was a G35 like posted above, I have to raise the bullshit flag or they need new glasses.

Also, the picture posted above of the RL is very misleading. The rims make the car in this case, but too bad it's the productino concept. The actual rims on the RL make it look downright boring.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM

I never said the RL resembled the Accord, and agree that someone who mistakens one for the other at any reasonable range needs to see the optometrist..
I never accused you of that, just making a point

Also, the picture posted above of the RL is very misleading. The rims make the car in this case, but too bad it's the productino concept. The actual rims on the RL make it look downright boring.
Agree as well. That's probably my only gripe about the RL.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Racer

I'm telling you, they look alike in person. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

From a G35 forum ->

Anyone harass you about your G looking like an Altima?

"A 'friend' of mine is busting my balls saying my car looks like an Altima... its angering me. Anyone else have this problem? They do resemble each other... both Nissans obviously. They do not share the same chassis or anything do they?"

People identify the "looks" of cars in different ways. Personally, I think the C-Pillar is what distinguishes the look of one car vs. another. The new G35 and the new Altima have the same C-Pillar shape.

The G just looks like a refined Altima with different wheels and interior.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3 luxury Japanese Car Makers all have similar cues from their corporate siblings, so does VW / Audi.

Its been like this since inception. The only 2 car makers that have their own design cues are Mercedes and BMW because from the start they each were single car manufacturers. They also evolved into luxury brands.

When BMW introduces the 1 series and Mercedes introduces the A Class in the U.S., they will infact be competing with Toyota, Honda and Nissan car lines.

It is what it is.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavine
I'm telling you, they look alike in person. I'm not the only one who thinks so.

From a G35 forum ->

Anyone harass you about your G looking like an Altima?

"A 'friend' of mine is busting my balls saying my car looks like an Altima... its angering me. Anyone else have this problem? They do resemble each other... both Nissans obviously. They do not share the same chassis or anything do they?"

People identify the "looks" of cars in different ways. Personally, I think the C-Pillar is what distinguishes the look of one car vs. another. The new G35 and the new Altima have the same C-Pillar shape.

The G just looks like a refined Altima with different wheels and interior.
when i had my cl-s, my aunt saw a last gen prelude and said "hey, that looks like your car."

i can see how you can mistaken cars that are different if you are not a car person.

i can make out an RL from an Accord or a G35 from an Altima from at least a block away. If you are parked next to an Altima and mistaken it for a G35, then seriously, have your eyes checked.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

i can make out an RL from an Accord or a G35 from an Altima from at least a block away. If you are parked next to an Altima and mistaken it for a G35, then seriously, have your eyes checked.
I agree. Other than maybe the C-pillar, I think they look very different.

As for the original topic, probably someone mentioned this earlier but I think they should've offered the RWD as standard and perhaps make the SH-AWD as an option...even if that means developing a whole new platform different from the Accord.

Having the RWD will definitely cut down the weight and along comes better gas mileage and a quicker car overall. A V8 would help too in order to develop a more "luxury" brand image.

It seems to me, they're going the Audi route and even though they're excellent cars, we all know as a car company, you want to go the MBZ/BMW/Lexus route.

With that said, I could've easily gone with the alternatives such as 5er, GS, or M (I'm not feeling the E-class or the A6). But when it came down to it, I felt I was getting the most out of the RL in terms of the price and what the car itself has to offer.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

audi's advantage is they have V8 engines and an 'S' line (real 'S' line, not 'type-S'). Not only that, they do a much better job leveraging their racing heritage and marketing their AWD system...so even if SH-AWD is better than the current Quattro, people will still feel that Quattro is better.

But even so, the A6 isn't selling so great...but still better than the RL.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silver Sultan
Nissan needs to go to the optometrist their cars look like garbage until you step up above this model. Take one look at my TL and anyone can see there is no comparison. Those cars are the same in terms of appeal to me.
The TL and TSX look alike too even more than the new Altima and the new G35. I mean the headlight shape doesn't even look the same between the Altima and G, while the TL and TSX look alike. Aside from the side crease in the TL and the rear styling, the TSX and TL look the same.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Race Director

Also the real reason too is that the public can't seem to justify to pay $50K for a luxury Honda, but they are willing to pay $70K in a luxury toyota LS 460 and $55K for a GS430??

Sad, but true
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
A little off topic, but I was very happy to see the Acura stand at this year's NY Auto show. It was on a platform, so at least they're trying to differentiate it from the Honda platform that was right next to it (they do this every single year and I have no idea why). But sadly, no RL with the wood steering wheel and shift knob to make it look extra fancy to potential buyers.

And I could tell the fake wood from the real wood easily. Open the door, and where the wood boomerang ends on the side, with the fake wood, the pattern ends also, so you have this blank patch of brown.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
A little off topic, but I was very happy to see the Acura stand at this year's NY Auto show. It was on a platform, so at least they're trying to differentiate it from the Honda platform that was right next to it (they do this every single year and I have no idea why). But sadly, no RL with the wood steering wheel and shift knob to make it look extra fancy to potential buyers.

And I could tell the fake wood from the real wood easily. Open the door, and where the wood boomerang ends on the side, with the fake wood, the pattern ends also, so you have this blank patch of brown.
I think that at each local auto show Acura dealers should ask one person with a modded RL if they can borrow the car for the week. I'd happily drive a TL-S for a week. No one would be allowed to sit in my car, though.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I think that at each local auto show Acura dealers should ask one person with a modded RL if they can borrow the car for the week. I'd happily drive a TL-S for a week. No one would be allowed to sit in my car, though.

AND it would have to be up on one of those revolvng display platforms, roped off so no one could get within 3 feet of it. All I need is that shined up RL slowly revolving under the lights. Throw in one of those blonde models with a sulty voice speaking to the RLs attibutes. All she would have to say is "carbon fiber drive shaft" and I would pawing for my check book.

Thanks Bob...my bank account has just gone intemergency lockdown!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
First thing Acura corporate needs to do is give the dealerships more incentive to promote the RL.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
First thing Acura corporate needs to do is give the dealerships more incentive to promote the RL.
I beg to differ a little. They need to first give direction to their national ad account to come up with a decent marketing campaign, and then include the dealers in that campaign.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah, good point!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
Infiniti? Like the G35 isn't an Altima and the M35 a Maxima? I parked next to a 2007 Altima yesterday and swore it was the new G35. I realize the Infinitis are RWD and the Nissans are FWD but the RL is AWD and Accord is FWD.

I didn't know the RL was based on the accord. I thought the TSX was an accord in Japan.

Can someone clarify?
Honda really only has 2 major platforms (other than the S2000 and NSX which is now discontinued).
Accord - TSX, TL, RL, Pilot, MDX, Odyssey, Ridgeline
Civic - CR-V, Element (and the discontinued RSX)

Not sure where the RDX falls.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by psteng19
Honda really only has 2 major platforms (other than the S2000 and NSX which is now discontinued).
Accord - TSX, TL, RL, Pilot, MDX, Odyssey, Ridgeline
Civic - CR-V, Element (and the discontinued RSX)

Not sure where the RDX falls.
Isn't the RDX built off the Civic platform too? I sat in an RDX and the new CRV and they're alike in the size of their interiors.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Isn't the RDX built off the Civic platform too? I sat in an RDX and the new CRV and they're alike in the size of their interiors.
Correct. The new Civic platform begat the RDX which begat the CVR. I think it is the only time where the Acura model beat the Honda model to market (in reference to the RDX & CVR).
Old 04-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, it is 2 1/2 platforms:

1) Global Compact Platform
2) Global Midsized Platform
.5) Global Truck Platform (variation of Global Midsized Platform)

The Accord just happens to be the first car made from the platform.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=GoHawks]The same optometrist should be visited by those that think the RL looks like the Accord.

The first time I ran across a gen 2 on the road, I thought it was the new accord. A damn fine looking accord, but still, an accord.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=Kaiserseal]
Originally Posted by GoHawks
The same optometrist should be visited by those that think the RL looks like the Accord.

The first time I ran across a gen 2 on the road, I thought it was the new accord. A damn fine looking accord, but still, an accord.

I still don't see it. I can understand the resemblance to certain details, but that's it.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Proboscis-free zone

[QUOTE=Kaiserseal]

There is a vague resemblance in overall shape--but if you really look at the cut of the sheet metal, it is sort of like the difference between a skinny Calista Flockhart and a buffed Demi Moore. Not intending to be sexist, you could also compare a generic 98-pound weakling and the Governator. Same idea.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

(Silently prays that Acura design team in California is making a more distinctive 3G RL design to avoid "Accord vs RL" debates)

Maybe Acura should use us as a test group for various 3G RL styles. I'd go for that! How about it, Acura?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
audi's advantage is they have V8 engines and an 'S' line (real 'S' line, not 'type-S'). Not only that, they do a much better job leveraging their racing heritage and marketing their AWD system...so even if SH-AWD is better than the current Quattro, people will still feel that Quattro is better.

But even so, the A6 isn't selling so great...but still better than the RL.
Why are you here if you hate the RL so much?

I checked out your website...apparently you pi$$ off other people as well, judging by the bullet holes in your car.

Also, your taste in Cigars leaves allot to be desired.....Cohibas are overated, as are most Cuban brands these days, as they are rushing them to market because people like you will buy anything that says "Hecho en Habana" on it.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

lumpulus, take a deep breath and relax....breathe deep....think of a good place.....back away from the keyboard.....use the ignore function.....

Originally Posted by lumpulus

I checked out your website...apparently you pi$$ off other people as well, judging by the bullet holes in your car.

Also, your taste in Cigars leaves allot to be desired.....Cohibas are overated, as are most Cuban brands these days, as they are rushing them to market because people like you will buy anything that says "Hecho en Habana" on it.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

1) where do i state I "hate" the RL? I just like other cars better than the RL...and according to the title of this thread, i'm not alone.

2) what does my car being shot up have to do with pissing people off? the car was stolen and that's how I got it back. The only people I seem to piss off are the "fanbois" that take any comment about the RL that isn't a compliment, no matter how true, as "hating".

3) What does MY taste in cigars have anything to do with anything? Do I tell other people what they should or should not like, such as, "your taste in cars leaves a lot to be desired?"

fanboy, pleeze.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 PM
office monkey

I think people who say the RL looks like the Accord have generalization issues. Yes, they have similarities but so do ALL FREAKIN CARS. When I see people say car X looks just like car Y I shake my head and wonder if they see other things in life in the same manner (ie generalizing) or if they have the ability to see differences. IE, would they see Kate Beckinsale and say she looks like Charlize Theron or can they tell them apart?

The RL and Accord clearly look different as long as a person goes past looking at the 4 doors, 4 tires, side door rail, windows, hood type of thinking.

I also do not know why a dude keeps posting in RL threads on an RL forum when he does not own it and says he prefers other cars over it. Nothing better to do with the time? I don't care for MB cars so lemme go join a MB forum and rag on their models for no reason other than to try and instigate crap wiht the owners there. I could see someone doing that when they're 12 but not when they are my age of 28...or older. Grow up.

To each their own though...I have better stuff to do with my time than try and cheese off owners of a car by constantly pointing out its faults and acting like a V8 is the greatest gift given to man by God.

Some people sure amaze me....
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, guys, enough picking on mrdeeno. If you don't agree with him, don't respond to him and put him on your ignore lists. mrdeeno, stop responding to these posts. If you can't, I may have to take more drastic action, which I generally don't like to do. Both sides are polluting the thread and hijacking it from its purpose, which is to tell Acura what they need to do to make the 3G RL a rock star of a car.

Both sides need to grow up and act like adults.

Jeez, I feel like a school bus mom today.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Kaiserseal]

I see how the two share some styling cues...somewhat similar to the Camry & ES350. But even Toyota knows how to distinguish the two in their MARKETING campaigns.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neuronbob
OK, guys, enough picking on mrdeeno. If you don't agree with him, don't respond to him and put him on your ignore lists. mrdeeno, stop responding to these posts. If you can't, I may have to take more drastic action, which I generally don't like to do. Both sides are polluting the thread and hijacking it from its purpose, which is to tell Acura what they need to do to make the 3G RL a rock star of a car.

Both sides need to grow up and act like adults.

Jeez, I feel like a school bus mom today.
Originally Posted by Rob L
I also do not know why a dude keeps posting in RL threads on an RL forum when he does not own it and says he prefers other cars over it. Nothing better to do with the time? I don't care for MB cars so lemme go join a MB forum and rag on their models for no reason other than to try and instigate crap wiht the owners there. I could see someone doing that when they're 12 but not when they are my age of 28...or older. Grow up.
Did you even read the title of the thread?

I think being someone that prefers a car OTHER than the RL makes me more qualified to post in this thread than you do...

even though all the fanboys want to see "I love the RL!" or "The RL is a great car!", it doesn't answer Thread: How come the new RL is not selling that well? What would you like to see changed?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Back on track...my main issue is that the paddle(or the stick for that matter) don't shift fast enough. I've hit the rev limiter twice before I just said "screw it" and drive mostly in auto mode.

As to the "needs a V8" arguement I don't agree, that V6 is an awesome engine.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Back on track...my main issue is that the paddle(or the stick for that matter) don't shift fast enough. I've hit the rev limiter twice before I just said "screw it" and drive mostly in auto mode.

As to the "needs a V8" arguement I don't agree, that V6 is an awesome engine.
I agree about the paddle shifters.

And while I hate to agree with a certain someone, this "fanboy's" opinion about the V6. It is an awesome engine and you can argue that a V8 isn't needed, after all Lexus sells very few V8 GS', but Acura does need a V8 for sake of image.

The styling is no less daring than it's competitors (i.e. M, GS). Yes, unfortunately the RL, which is the flagship of the Acura line, doesn't compete with the flagship vehicles from the competing brands.

We can argue the points all we want, but if Acura wants to compete with the big boys, it has to commit to a true rear wheel drive platform and then develop a V8.

I think buried in this thread I made my point on the V8, but I'll do it again. Introducing a V8 for just the RL will not be cost effective. Most of the other automakers spread the cost of their V8 across multiple models, and in some cases brands.

The basic platform for the Lexus V8 is used in the LS, SC, GS, LX470, GX470, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Sequoia and Toyota 4Runner. Nissan does the same with the Q (albeit discontinued), M, QX, Nissan Titan, Armada, and Pathfinder.

A Honda V8 could be used on an Acura flagship, whether it be the RL or otherwise, along with the premium Acura SUV (again whether or not it's the MDX), the Pilot, Ridgeline, etc.

Infiniti has failed numerous times with the Q, and the 1st gen M. They have yet to introduce a flagship vehicle that has been well received (Acura at least has the Legend, as long ago as that was). THe difference is that Infiniti decided to expand their RWD offerings. They got it right with the 1st gen G, and the current M.

As for Lexus, the 1st generation GS was a sales dud.

Acura has relied on creating premium FWD based mid luxury sedans (read: TL) and the MDX, That's been it's bread and butter.

The issue isn't necessarily with the RL, since arguably on it's own it is as good or better than similar models (I said models, not brands for the benefit of a certain someone). I mean the M35x, GS AWD, BMW 5##x.

Until Acura decides to really market themselves on the same level as Lexus and BMW, they will always have this issue. Again, speaking to the merits of the vehicle itself (not the brand), I stand by my previous comment that we wouldn't be having this conversation if the RL, had an "L" on it's grille.

Fanboy out.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

I think most of us agree that even if only a few of us buy it, a V8 and RWD will elevate Acura into the true luxury fold and get people who wouldn't otherwise look at Acura to do so.

In reality, though, Acura is headed for SH-AWD in all its cars and has stated so. They are less clear on engine direction, unfortunately.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

i think the need for RWD is moot...nowadays. manufacturers are steering towards AWD. it allows for better handling, and plus, us peeps in the snow states can get the car and not worry about getting stuck, unlike RWD cars.

i welcome the SH-AWD

Quick Reply: How come the new RL is not selling that well? What would you like to see changed?