How come the new RL is not selling that well? What would you like to see changed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:20 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TLover8888
i think the need for RWD is moot...nowadays. manufacturers are steering towards AWD. it allows for better handling, and plus, us peeps in the snow states can get the car and not worry about getting stuck, unlike RWD cars.

i welcome the SH-AWD
The problem is that people think AWD = Bad weather handling. They don't get systems like SH-AWD actually enhance dry weather performance. If they live in warm weather locations, they may never consider an AWD car figuring they don't need the increased cost and decreased gas mileage.

For example up here in the Chicago area, the majority of the Lexus GS' I see are AWD. When I was in Florida, most were RWD.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
You know what? I don't care if Acura doesn't "market" itself as a luxury brand, or whatever else. All I care about is that they make great cars across the board, and that they make the ones that I buy in Japan, not here in the USA. I had 5 Integra GSRs\RSX Type S' before I bought the RL I have now, and until someone makes a better all around vehicle than the RSX or RL(that is built in Japan) I will continue to buy Acura\Honda products. While I like to go fast, and have a vehicle that handles well, at this point in my life, reliability and fuel economy are just as important.

A V8 is not important to me, and as a matter of fact, I think Honda still has the most powerful normally aspirated engine(for it's size) with the S2000's incredible 4 Cylinder, which to me says more about their technological innovation than having a V8 to fit into a luxury category.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
+2, well said!
Very Well Said!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Lexus>Acura

And no, Acura is not up to par with Lexus.
The reason why the RL is not selling is because of the price for the name you get.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxnation
Lexus>Acura

And no, Acura is not up to par with Lexus.
The reason why the RL is not selling is because of the price for the name you get.

Everyone buys a car for what it gives them in terms of value. However, the "value equation" is different for everyone. The variables in the equation are all basically the same -- it's a balance of cost, features, prestige, and reliability. It's the weighting factor on those variables that differ with everyone. You can debate cost, features, and reliability, but, the "prestige" factor and/or how it makes you feel when you're behind the wheel is not debatable. There's no right answer. It's like arguing over the color.

For me, the prestige factor is last on my list. I'm 45 years old and have been blessed with much business success, great kids, and a wife who is a better person then I could ever be. My car doesn't define me at this point in my life. I'd drive a KIA tomorrow if the "equation" dictated that was the best car.

All I can say is this; I"m a VERY analytical person. I have a passion for making smart decisioins. I did the numbers, visted all the boards, and test drove all the cars in the RL's class. I wouldn't say it was a "no brainer" decision, but, in the end, this is clearly the best car for the money when prestige is small in your value equation. It's the smart move.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Everyone buys a car for what it gives them in terms of value. However, the "value equation" is different for everyone. The variables in the equation are all basically the same -- it's a balance of cost, features, prestige, and reliability. It's the weighting factor on those variables that differ with everyone. You can debate cost, features, and reliability, but, the "prestige" factor and/or how it makes you feel when you're behind the wheel is not debatable. There's no right answer. It's like arguing over the color.

For me, the prestige factor is last on my list. I'm 45 years old and have been blessed with much business success, great kids, and a wife who is a better person then I could ever be. My car doesn't define me at this point in my life. I'd drive a KIA tomorrow if the "equation" dictated that was the best car.

All I can say is this; I"m a VERY analytical person. I have a passion for making smart decisioins. I did the numbers, visted all the boards, and test drove all the cars in the RL's class. I wouldn't say it was a "no brainer" decision, but, in the end, this is clearly the best car for the money when prestige is small in your value equation. It's the smart move.
Well said. I'm on my third Acura, and before buying the RL I came as close as ever to jumping to Lexus. Not because I was unhappy, but because I REALLY liked the GS. I went and looked at one up close, test drove it and was pretty much set that it was going to be my next car. What's funny is that my prior car was a TL, and I regularly had it serviced at my dealer, but I never really looked at the RL, so the family and I decided to go look at it. We all liked the exterior, but the GS was still the favorite. Once we sat inside, we were all hooked. My kids loved it as well. The handling of the RL was much more connected I thought than the GS. Not that the GS is bad, but it's dialed more to luxury than sport.

What's funny is that I didn't test out things like the Navtraffic and voice recognition. THe voice recognition/navigation in my Land Cruiser, which was basically the same unit that was in the GS at the time, was absolutely worthless. I stopped using it days after I got the vehicle. I assumed the technology hadn't developed enough, and had written it off. You can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was as I became more familiar with this system. Too bad the salespeople don't highlight this more when showcasing the car.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM

On a related topic, I've been seeing more and more RLs on the road. I saw three just on my ride in this morning and see on average one a day. If I didn't know better I would swear sales are picking up, although the dealer in my area (where I bought mine) is one of the best around and has been probably moving them.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
RLs are still rare where I live and work, though. I am tempted to ask my salesman how many RLs he manages to move in a month. I'll bet it's not many.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Go Big Blue!

I don't see many here in Orlando either. That's actually one of the reasons I'm buying one this week. I don't like running with the crowd. There's enough silver MB's and BMW's in the neighborhood. Although, I saw a killer white RL with full wrap around underbody kit and spoiler at the restaurant this weekend. It was parked right between a SILVER -- again with the silver -- MB E class and a BLACK BMW 5. It didn't look out classed sitting there at all and was refreshing to see one in a parking lot full of European Luxury cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Proboscis-free zone

RLs are still exceedingly rare in SoCal. I can easily go a week or two without seeing any. (It was disconcerting to go into the dealer for service last week and see a whole bunch lined up at once!)

The crowd is running with Beemers, Benzes and Lexi. Let 'em spend their money. We'll enjoy our exclusivity awhile longer.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SC924RL05
Very Well Said!!!!
+ 3 Well said.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see many RL's here in Southwestern Ohio either. I see the same two at least a couple
of times a week on my way home from work.

I have only had mine a little over a week and love it!! The only thing that I missed at first from
my TL was the touchscreen for the nav system, but the more I use the voice commands and the control knob the more I like it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

to me it looks like an old man car but the bad part is old men buy mercades, bmw's, and lexus if they would make it more hip (interior wise) more options and probably a type s version lol they would get my money in a heartbeat
Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 PM
1st Gear

When is RL planning to build a FWD or a RWD? I have lived in SoCal my whole life and don't see any use in purchasing an AWD. Granted -- there are merits and good arguments regarding safety and stability with the AWD system. But seriously, Acura needs market this vehicle with either the FWD or AWD.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am glad that Acura is not marketing RL well, because I get to drive a rare car on the raod. I see about 2-3 RL's in a week, compared to hundreds of new BMW's, MB's, Audi's, and Lexi (pl for lexus), and even Porsches.

I love this car!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ES350
When is RL planning to build a FWD or a RWD? I have lived in SoCal my whole life and don't see any use in purchasing an AWD. Granted -- there are merits and good arguments regarding safety and stability with the AWD system. But seriously, Acura needs market this vehicle with either the FWD or AWD.
Welcome to AZ!

The SH-AWD is great in dry weather, as well as inclement weather. This is because it makes the handling neutral by spinning the outside rear wheel faster than the inside. In the turns, it handles much as a RWD car does. Even so, I'm sure there would be a market for a RWD car as this alone would remove 200 pounds from the car; SH-AWD should be an option, as many others have said. Knowing Honda, however, investing in a separate RWD platform is simply to radical a move for it. I hope I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by tasdisr
I have only had mine a little over a week and love it!! The only thing that I missed at first from
my TL was the touchscreen for the nav system, but the more I use the voice commands and the control knob the more I like it.
It took me about a month to stop touching the RL's screen. Don't feel like the only person making that error.

Originally Posted by UW RL
I am glad that Acura is not marketing RL well, because I get to drive a rare car on the raod...
Exclusivity is good, but I'm going to have to keep this car a very long time--that exclusivity means that the resale value is going to suck. Of course, I knew this going in and I'm not complaining, I'm just reminding.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Race Director

Well everyone is saying the RL is selling that horribely but didnt acura only plan on 20,000 a year at most? How many did they sell in 06? I mean I see some around charlotte I would say 5ish a week (of course I see about at least 1 TL MDX and TSX everyday).

I also still stand by my original statement that the RL really could use air conditioned seats.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 was 11,501 down about 35% from 2005.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
The RL isn't "rare" by any means around me. I see a few in a week, it's nowhere near as often seen as the BMW 5-Series and the Mercedes E-Class, though. But I wouldn't call it rare.

The funny thing is I don't see that many Lexus GS, either. I do see a lot of Infiniti Ms nowaday. But it's still not as often as the BMW and the Mercedes.

And on a similar note, Ive seen more of the new S-Class than I have for the new Lexus LS.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM

I saw 5 on the way home tonight.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Exclusivity is good, but I'm going to have to keep this car a very long time--that exclusivity means that the resale value is going to suck. Of course, I knew this going in and I'm not complaining, I'm just reminding.
I saw 3 other RLs on my drive around San Diego today. Pearl white with tinting and chrome wheels (looked sharp). A Carbon Grey (parked next to a gold 2G RL circa 1998 [talk about 2 cars with the same name that have nothing in common]). And a black RL with what looked to be larger rims and tires.

I, too, keep my cars for a long time and try to take good care of them. My 95 Legend L sedan got the most admiring looks and comments in the last two years that I owned it. They were never all that popular in their later years, either. When it came time to sell, buying guides like Edmunds and Kelly seemed to undervalue the car (which is likely to happen with the RL). Had I traded it in for the RL, I'd have gotten next to nothing since a car dealer doesn't want a 10-year old car no matter how nice it is.

I sold it to a friend who used it to replace his 1G Legend sedan. If I had been more patient, I probably could have gotten a little more for it from the right buyer (which I was able to do with my Miata). But the prospect of dealing with flakey buyers didn't seem worth it.

So, I guess I am willing to live with the low resale value, and face the music in 10 years or so. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the ride.

Rob144
Old 04-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Rob144 I am in SD also, usually see a 2nd gen RL about twice a week...live in Kensington so maybe less this part of town. Working to get the deal of the $3500 marketing support before I buy.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:26 AM
'06 Celestial/Black

Originally Posted by ES350
I have lived in SoCal my whole life and don't see any use in purchasing an AWD.
I was of the same thinking until I drove the RL. That changed my mind.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
What I'd like see Changed to the RL

The windshield wash resevoir only holds half a gallon of liquid. It needs to hold the entire jug of the blue stuff- one gallon.

Windshield spray should hit the windsheld higher- I understand this can be adjusted.

Larger back seating area.

More in-cabin storage space- pouches, for instance, could be added to the front of both front seats. Same pouches could be added to the fronts of the back seats.

Cooled seats.

Cooled/heated beverage holders.

Larger Wheels.

That's it guys. Without increasing the production costs dramatically These are the only things that I think are needed to make this a near perfect vehicle.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Intermediate

Out of those you mentioned, I think they could've easily added the cooled seats. From what I understand, they already have them in other countries. I think it's a shame that a 40k+ car doesn't come with the cooled seats.

Also, I'd like to see a push button ignition. Something that Honda already has with S2000.

Lastly, smart key door handles on all 4 doors.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 AM
UrLEGEND

6 speed manual transmission!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RLuvr08
6 speed manual transmission!!!!

Agree 100%!!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

agree on everything also. Especially larger wheels. I'd add to that the need to fix the quirk in the keyless access system that forces you to cycle through a lock/unlock sequence for the other key fob to get setup for the driver! Somewhat ridiculous that this problem still exists in the 3rd year of a 2nd gen vehicle.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

A separate thread was started with the same topic as this one, so I merged the new thread into this longer thread.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
office monkey

If I could add some things I'd want:

power headrests
power seatbelt height
full parking sensors
power folding mirrors
auto wipers

Of course there are other things I'd like but those things are simple and add a lot of value to me. If one has never used those things (ie power headrests, seatbelt height) then they'll have no clue how sweet they are.

Oh and the ventilated seats are pretty good but I wish they were fully cooled but I dunno if any companies actually have active cooled seats. I'll use them tonight though just to piss off you yanks.

Oh and I also agree the car should come standard with say 18" wheels (I have a new set of 18 wheels and agree it is nice) but also better tires. The diff between the shitty OEM michelins and my new Potenza RE050A Pole Positions is dramatic. I realize slapping summer tires as standard may not be the wisest choice but they could go with something like the Pilot Sport A/S instead of the crappy OEMs that offer no good value aside form maybe long treadlife. I swear my potenzas are quieter than the Michelins despite being lower profile, and larger and summer performance.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 PM
6th Gear

I'm not sure who the RL is marketed for. For the base price tag of $45K + what are you getting? I compared a Lexus ES 350 and added all the bells except the Mark Levinson sound system and the park assist and still came in around $42K.

Obviously Acura is not trying to compete with Lexus. They need more body styles and more trims. Is it too much to ask for a wood trim steering wheel and shift knob?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by sirc625
I'm not sure who the RL is marketed for. For the base price tag of $45K + what are you getting? I compared a Lexus ES 350 and added all the bells except the Mark Levinson sound system and the park assist and still came in around $42K.

Obviously Acura is not trying to compete with Lexus. They need more body styles and more trims. Is it too much to ask for a wood trim steering wheel and shift knob?

I personally would not compare an ES to an RL. I think the GS is more a peer to the RL.

But lets go with your simplification. The ES is 42K loaded, the RL is 45K. Now, take the ES FWD platform and add in SHAWD, you now have exceeded 45K.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The ES is a Camry.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by CL6
The ES is a Camry.
Not exactly. The ES has that "L" badge on the front. Other then that, your right. A Camry XLE Limited is equivalent in every way to an ES with the Nav system and Premum package, except for the fact that the ES is $6000 more!

I think the "L" must be made of platinum. Yea, that's it.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Gee...I always thought having an 'L' in front of me was uncomplimentary?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by sirc625
You can get those on the RL as dealer options, but IMHO, plood cheapens the ebony interior. Might look OK with a lighter leather.

Originally Posted by CL6
The ES is a Camry.
Yet, a Camry with the "option" for Mark Levinson sound. (If you can stand to keep adding stuff a la carte. Cha-ching!!!)

Toyota/Lexus buyers may not mind all those games with options, packages and trim levels but it drives me NUTS! That's a key reason why I've bought 2 Hondas and 2 Acuras in the past 5 years, and zero Toyotas in the past 30. The fewer options and trim levels, the better.

So in answer to the question, Acura is not marketing the RL in any discernible way, but if they were, they would be marketing it to little old affluent-but-not-spendthrift me.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Not to belabor the point, but offering so many options and packages does allow a low initial price to be advertised, does allow the feeling of 'building' your own unique car, and is a staple of luxury brands since the days of carriages as well as letting sale people switch people from cheapie versions to nicer, more expensive versions. As a sales person I like the simple nature of "Do you want X or Y car?" but from the perspective of the customer it may not be the same thing. Also, a brand makes it tougher to cross shop one BMW store with another because there are so many different versions of the same car so the store can 'hold gross' better.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Go Big Blue!

I agree. As the consumer, option packages is a good thing. I hate that Honda forces me to take their "vision" of the car I want. However, I understand it adds cost to production, makes selling more difficult, and complicates maintaining proper inventory. Obviously, most car manufacturers agree with the customer since Honda is mainly out there by themselves on this "all or nothing" packaging
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Many people resent the fact that if you want the most 'sporty' model you have to go with the stick shift. RSX Type-S was like this, TL Type-S also like this. The thing I like about BMW is all the cool paints you have. I think you should be able to order an RL with any color/inside you want. If Acura offered a Japan delivery option for the RL that would be very cool.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Acura uses economy car looking rims I guess to save money. With their unusual offsets hardly anything else fits Acuras too. BMW and Infiniti offer some very nice rims, even stock. Many Acura buyers would splurge on nice accessory rims. The RL rims are way beneath the aesthetics of this car. The new 07 TLS rims are horrible too.
The right wheels add so much to a car. I just don't get Acura's approach.

Quick Reply: How come the new RL is not selling that well? What would you like to see changed?